Playing players out of position

Playing players out of position

Postby MrHoncho » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:31 pm

1. When playing players out of position, have you noticed any penalty in their production?

2. When you are going to start a guy out of position for the entire season, do you edit the players position to his new position, or just leave him as is, and play him at the other spot?

3. Does changing the position, in the edit player menu, have any impact on the player or his development?

4. Does something like moving an undersized center to power forward impact his draft stock, as he moves closer to prototypical measurements?
Last edited by MrHoncho on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrHoncho

Re: Playing players out of position

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Go to Depth, click next to but not on the player's name. Look at the bottom of the screen to be sure the position you want him to play is checked. I have found no penalty when it's an adjacent position (an SG playing PG or SF), but if it's WAY off (a PG playing PF) it's not so much a penalty as it is that he's just not effective in that spot.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby rougaroux » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 am

I'm relative novice (midway through 3rd season of my first team) so take what I know with a grain of salt

The only player in year 1 that ratings went down is a center that I played at PF alot. I assumed it was because he played out of position. I moved my assistants around after year 2, so can't compare that for a trend since ratings varied alot from previous year due to a different coach evaluating them.
rougaroux

Postby CoachC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:08 pm

I'm in agreement with what Wayne said. I think you can only get a real feel for what positions guys are comfortable with by playing out games though. A lot of it depends on their play style and the sets that you are using. For example, you may have two forwards with similar height and weight, but you may find that only one of them really produces at the 4, while the other is more productive at the 3. Playing out games is the only way to get really comfortable with them at different positions. I remember having an all-american sf in my very first association back in cb1 who could play everything from the 2 to the 5 and be dominant at both ends of the court. I never had need to play him at the point, but I'm pretty sure he could have handled that too. He reminded me a lot of Magic Johnson.

I've had a lot of players who definitely played better at positions other than their nominal ones. In my current cb19 game, I had a pg for several years who totally sucked at the point. He was usually very effective at the 2 position though, and often had his best games playing the 3!
CoachC

Postby PointGuard » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:44 am

Also agree with Wayne.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Orsalak » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:14 pm

I often play people out of position, but I don't typically go more than one step out.

For PG I look for high ball handling and passing abilities. I usually go with a pure point guard, but sometimes I have an experience shooting guard who is better than the freshman point guard.

For my Center, I try to go with people at least 6'8". A pure center or tall PF is my preference, but sometimes I have to put in a shorter center. I try to get heavier guys down low as well if I can. As an example, I had a 6'6" PF who did fine backing up my SF position, but not so good when I tried him at C. I usually look for good defense and rebounding with some height and bulk for a backup C. Inside game would be great, but I'm usually just looking for a few minutes of rest for my main C, so my preference is to not give up too much defensively.

Would love to hear what other people look for when working on their depth chart.
Orsalak

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion