Assistant Coaches

Assistant Coaches

Postby blazertaz13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 am

When starting out a new association, there are not many assistant coaches available for hiring, which I am fine with. Here is what I was wondering, you assign each assistant coach a task (recruiting, scouting and practice). Can some help me understand what traits are good for each. I know that there is some obvious answers for Recruiting. I would be more interested about the other two.

As I am starting out on a new association as I have the bug again, I am at day one so there would not be a penalty for firing one of the currently assigned coaches. I keep wondering what coaching traits would help players improve through their time with our program. I believe this would be under the practice coaching traits.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks,
Taz
blazertaz13

Re: Assistant Coaches

Postby MrHoncho » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:10 pm

I've always used "player dev" for my practice coach. Scouting and recruiting, obviously, for scouting/recruiting. I could be wrong, but I have viewed offense and defense ratings as only important for the head coach, and then the other 3 are intended for the 3 assistant positions.
MrHoncho

Postby CoachC » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:47 pm

MrHoncho wrote:I've always used "player dev" for my practice coach. Scouting and recruiting, obviously, for scouting/recruiting. I could be wrong, but I have viewed offense and defense ratings as only important for the head coach, and then the other 3 are intended for the 3 assistant positions.

I think offense and defense of the assistants may have a small factor, but, in general, I'd say you are right on the money. In hiring asst coaches, you only really need to look at the rating for their position and their reputation.

In general, most players feel that scouting is the least important of the 3 coaches and the last to worry about improving, and I'd have to agree. If and when you have the money for a highly ranked scouting coach too though, it does have advantages. Not only will the ratings of players be more accurate, but you'll get additional information in the scouting reports.
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Agree with what was said by Honcho and Coach. I'm GUESSING (I don't know for sure) that OFF/DEF ratings have some type of effect. I also believe that the overall rating for the coach (e.g a "38" vs a "9") affects how effective an assistant is as well. I just don't know know how and to what extent. To be honest, I'm not sure whether a recruiting assistant who has a 38 overall and a 25 for recruiting or a recruiting assistant who has a 9 overall but a 70 for recruiting will be a better recruiter...I just know you'll pay a lot more for the 38 compared to the 9. Does the game reflect what many feel is a verity of real life in that "you get what you pay for"? I don't know, but I like that the game has these uncertainties.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby CoachC » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:30 pm

PointGuard wrote:Agree with what was said by Honcho and Coach. I'm GUESSING (I don't know for sure) that OFF/DEF ratings have some type of effect. I also believe that the overall rating for the coach (e.g a "38" vs a "9") affects how effective an assistant is as well. I just don't know know how and to what extent. To be honest, I'm not sure whether a recruiting assistant who has a 38 overall and a 25 for recruiting or a recruiting assistant who has a 9 overall but a 70 for recruiting will be a better recruiter...I just know you'll pay a lot more for the 38 compared to the 9. Does the game reflect what many feel is a verity of real life in that "you get what you pay for"? I don't know, but I like that the game has these uncertainties.

Right, I don't know how the ratings and reputation interact either. Reputation is basically a function of experience, and the more experienced coach should bring more to the table if their ratings are the same. You have course have to pay a lot more for the experienced coach? is it worth it? Hard to say. The coach with higher reputation definitely is less likely to renegotiate a contract though because sometimes he wants to see if a better job comes along, so that's a consideration as well, I suppose.
CoachC

Postby blazertaz13 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:42 am

The question came up while I was watching a you tube series of the college basketball game. The person was having trouble getting his players to develop during the season, so I was thinking it was down to his practice coach. So when I started up a new association, I decided to look at my staff first. So one of these is my current coach and the other is one that the I found on the open market. Which would you choose, I am looking for my practice coach:

age Off Def Recruit Scout Player Dev
39 20 20 20 20 45
57 31 31 30 25 23

Thanks for answering my questions as it helps me understand what I think I am doing while playing the game.

Taz
blazertaz13

Postby MrHoncho » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:22 am

I would personally sign the 39 year old, in that case. I don't put as much weight in the reputation as it seems like the others do, but if they're right, it could be something to factor in, as well. It just looked like an numerical value for experience, to me. The 57 year old would be a better HC, the 39 year old a better practice assistant, imo. These other guys are more well versed in the ins and outs of the game, so I would take their advice over mine, if it is in contrast. I've only been playing for about a month.
MrHoncho

Postby rougaroux » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 am

If you are looking for development as in helping players reach their potential, I'd go with the 39 year old
If you are more interested in them learning a system then the old guy

if you run a complicated system go with 2
A more basic system go with 1
rougaroux

Postby CoachC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 pm

You didn't say what their reputations were, but In most cases I'd definitely go with the 39 year old. The older guy would have to have a much better dev rating before I'd consider his reputation.
CoachC

Postby blazertaz13 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:18 pm

CoachC wrote:You didn't say what their reputations were, but In most cases I'd definitely go with the 39 year old. The older guy would have to have a much better dev rating before I'd consider his reputation.

I kept that out of the conversation as I did not know how to figure out the current assistant coaches reputation based on numbers. Since it was my first season I believe it was considered poor. I did make the switch and the it only cost me an extra $1,000 per year for three years.

Based on what in the coaching pool I don't think I will be making any other changes.

Appreciated the advice.

Now is it possible to keep two version of the game going as I want to see where this goes and then play 20 when it comes out.

Thanks again.
blazertaz13

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion