Coaching out Games

Coaching out Games

Postby blazertaz13 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Do any of the long term players have any suggestions/tips for playing out the games. For example, when do you call your time outs, what do you say during your time outs? Do you let the sub matrix dictate your subs or do you do it by feel?

Once again I appreciate the suggestions. I am just trying to get the most of my playing experience and I know that yours helps.

I am getting back into this game in hopes that when the new version comes out, I will be ready.

Thanks,
blazertaz13

Re: Coaching out Games

Postby CoachC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:53 pm

I usually call timeouts to influence momentum, especially on the road. When the other teams momentum bar starts climbing, the situation can get critical very quickly. I'll also call a timeout in situations where there have been few whistles, and I've got a few guys sucking wind. And of course I'll usually try to use my first half "use it or lose it" to in the final 4 minutes if i wasn't forced to use it beforehand, but will try to use it when the momentum bar isn't in my favor. If the momentum bar is in my favor, i'll just eat the 1st half timeout.

I ignore the sub matrix altogether. I'll only ask the ai to set it when inelegibilities have left a hole in it and you can't enter 2d until you fill the holes. I set my depth chart, and constantly make adjustments to it during the season. I sub in the guys highest on my depth chart as a rule, after getting a feeling for which positions they can play and try to develop a consistent rotation of 8 or 9 guys. If I have a lot of depth of players who can play without causing a big decline in performance, I may extend it to 9 or 10 guys, but that's not often. When I make substitutions and at what fatigue point I want guys out, is mostly dependent on how much confidence I have in my bench. If I have a weak bench, the starters and top subs are going to stay in a lot longer. I also will try to get guys out just before the media timeout for a blow if they are nearing the fatigue point I have in mind.

I always make use of motivation during time outs. I try to use mostly praise for individual players performing well, and occasionally use concern for those that are underperforming. I'll wait until the team is clicking on all cylinders to praise the team as a whole, because that seems to be when it's most likely to get a positive response. I'll show concern to the team as a whole if they are performing badly as a unit. I hardly ever use scream on individuals, but on rare occasions will use it on the team if they truly deserve it. It's really a feel thing, but doing it that way, i get the most positive results, and few of the negative ones. Neutral responses are okay, and sometimes still seem to have a positive effect.

I've been playing since the beginning of the franchise, and always play out my games. That's given me a lot of time to refine how I go about things, and I still make changes. Trial and error will make things easier as you go along.

Incidentally, if you DO like filling out a sub matrix, or letting the AI set it up for you, you will love the new Depth Chart screen being used in CB20! Very visual and easy to use. Basically it combines depth chart and sub matrix on one screen now and is highly visual. It has had very warm acceptance during beta-testing. It is so much easier to use now!
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion