First Season Back

First Season Back

Postby blazertaz13 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Well I just finished my first recruiting period at Colorado State. Had four scholarships to distribute, with a real need at SF. I think I did okay based on National Ranking, with most of the players falling between 150 and 750 in the rankings. When I did sign them the were moving all over the place, so I am hoping that any drop in ranking is because they signed with me and not that I screwed it up.

Next up is the preseason.

Feel free to let me know if I am headed down the right path. I am working on learning this game and hoping that the next version will be fun as well.
blazertaz13

Re: First Season Back

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:27 pm

rankings tend to be volatile until november then they settle down. Recruits go up and down for a number of reasons. As word gets around that they are potential trouble makers, or injury prone, eg. they tend to drop, sometimes a lot. Other times, if you have a good recruiting coach, you may sniff out some diamonds in the raw during the summer that later jump in national evaluation, as other teams figure it out too. Top 50 and especially top 25 candidates tend to not move in the rankings as much, but that's why ranking should only be one thing to consider when offering scholarships in September. I look at ranking, but I tend to put even more weight on my recruiting assistants evaluation if I trust him. And those guys with tremendous work ethic, and leadership on and off the court comments should be considered too.
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby blazertaz13 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:30 pm

When you are at a school with a 30 reputation and in a lower league (Mountain West), is there a level of recruit that you should you expect? Or is it really just luck in getting higher rated players?
blazertaz13

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Depends on your Coach's recruiting and reputation, and the recruiting difficulty setting. 30 is actually an average prestige in this game, and Mountain West is one of the better non-bcs conferences. A team at that level can certainly land a 4 star recruit, and shouldn't have to settle for less than 3 star recruits on normal difficulty. It does take some luck in getting those top 100 players, but it can be done. You have to take a chance on some of those better recruits with no or ? interest and try to get them to talk to you. If you get the foot in the door, can get them to come to campus, and you find a pitch you can sell to them that fits things can work out. You'll probably do best recruiting in region, unless your coach's reputation is really high, because it will be difficult to get recruits outside of region to make a campus visit, and there's a big advantage in buying the Regional gold report if you can afford it. But even that can be overcome, too. I've signed plenty of recruits who wouldn't come to campus even after they signed a letter of intent! Home visits with the right pitches can always keep you in the ballgame. If you do get a top 50, or especially a top 25 recruit on the line and they fit your school, you need to be sure to make an offer to them BEFORE the september contact period. Some of those elite guys will make a verbal commitment before the 11th and sometimes even by the 4th before you even have a chance to make a home visit. So you might as well commit to them early and give them something to think about.
CoachC

Postby PointGuard » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 am

If you're in the Mountain West, the AI recruiting for the other schools will typically land a bunch of pretty average recruits (e.g. 300-#1700) so you have a good chance of doing better than the other schools in your conference.

In general the more you play the game and actively do the recruiting yourself, the better you will get at it (and as you get better, you can increase the recruiting difficulty level to keep it a reasonable challenge for yourself). For your first season,I'd say you did pretty well.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion