Defense

Defense

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Putting this here so it doesn't confuse the 2020 traffic. What do you play for defenses? How much of each? At what intensity level?
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: Defense

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Typically I run M-2-M 60-80% and choose one zone (it varies), but occasionally I will run 2 different zones as well as the M-2-M. Def. Intensity typically at 6 or 7. Might turn it up late if trailing by just a little and trying to come back.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby CoachC » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:26 am

I prefer to run m2m as much as my talent can perform effectively in it. But typically about half the time, sometimes more. I always practice 2-3, but most of the time I practice one of the other zones as well, preferably 1-3-1, but sometimes it depends on what the team had been using before I arrived. I usually don't use autoswitch on defense in game, except occasionally in the early minutes, but it depends on the scouting report what I open with. Most of the time I prefer to open in man. I tend to double team a lot as the game progresses, sometimes 3 or 4 players even. At that point it becomes more of a matchup zone, or even a diamond and one, but can be very effective, especially when the zones aren't working.

I always start intensity at 10 then adjust during the game. I do the same with rebounding intensity.

But if I'm imitating the style of a particular coach, the defenses I choose will vary. I had to get tricky when I was running Tarkanian teams, in order to come up with a reasonable facsimile of the Amoeba zone he ran about a fourth of the time. If I were running a Bobby Knight style team, or one of his disciples, I'd play almost exclusively m2m.
CoachC

Postby ZorbaGarp » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:33 pm

How did you replicate the Amoeba Zone? Tark was always underrated as a defensive coach, folks weren't realizing how he generated turnovers to trigger the transition offense.
ZorbaGarp

Postby HustlinOwl » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Would like to be able to select certain defenses/press after made baskets and or free throws
HustlinOwl

Postby PointGuard » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm

HustlinOwl wrote:Would like to be able to select certain defenses/press after made baskets and or free throws

Can do that with CB19 but its a hastle. With CB 20 it's much easier since all the coaching controls are right on the same screen as 2D game play.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby HustlinOwl » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:12 pm

PointGuard wrote:
HustlinOwl wrote:Would like to be able to select certain defenses/press after made baskets and or free throws

Can do that with CB19 but its a hastle. With CB 20 it's much easier since all the coaching controls are right on the same screen as 2D game play.

true and thanks!
HustlinOwl

Postby CoachC » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:56 am

ZorbaGarp wrote:How did you replicate the Amoeba Zone? Tark was always underrated as a defensive coach, folks weren't realizing how he generated turnovers to trigger the transition offense.

Since the Amoeba was essentially a diamond and one that looked to trap in the corners I would combine the 1-3-1 zone with the HC trap about 25% of the time, and M2M the other 75% of the time, which was pretty much what Tark did, occasionally throwing in some m2m pressure as well. It was very effective and I recruited to it. Had HUGE turnover differentials. Tark also looked for some athletic guys down low who could snare defensive rebounds to start the transition offense as well. I was never able to generate the 100+ points/game that Tark had in his heyday(without a shot clock and 3 point shot no less!) but did get it to about 85ppg. You are right though, his defense generated much of his offense. He wasn't run and gun like Westphal. If they couldn't beat the other team down the floor in transisiton, his teams were patient enough to look for the first decent shot. Of course, when he had guys like Theus that usually didn't take long.

Getting the 1-3-1 zone and the HC trap to work together in the same defensive possession was tricky, Most of the time I just manipulated the frequencies in strategy to get them to come out about right, rather than pause the game constantly, but as PG pointed out that will be a little easier to accomplish in CB20.
CoachC

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion