The Phenom

Re: The Phenom

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:44 pm

4/3: #1 North Carolina is the champ.

4/4: Awards: Sam Toma was named 2nd team All American! That is very cool! In conference, Sam is A10 POY and 1st team along with Lydell Risi and Jason Bree.

Chris Hobs made the 2nd team. I got Conf. COY.

Della Bates is a 1st team All American, and A10 POY and 1st team. The two inside big players both made the 1st team, and Midge is Conf. COY.

"Hey, we got lots of trophies!"

"Yeah, we did."

"Come on. Cheer up. This is a happy day."

"Yeah."

"Look, let's see what offer s we get- both of us. We'll figure it out."

"Yeah..."

4/9: "Kansas? Kansas wants you?"

"Yeah. That's a terrific program. You're going, right?"

"I'm going for a visit.."

"Of course. You have to."

"Hey, if I could get them to hire you to coach the women's team would you go?"

"First, I don't want a job I didn't get on my own, and second, I don't want anyone to lose a job because of me. So no."

4/10: "Michigan State! That's like one of the best 5 programs in the country!"

"Yeah. I'm going to fly there right after Kansas."

"I'm happy for you."

"I haven't taken a job yet."

"I know but if they offer, how can you say no..."

4/13: Boston Globe, Eddie Mayo: After visiting both U. Of Kansas and Michigan State, UMass head coach Dunphy Nomakowski, A.K.A. Phee Nom, has announced that he is returning to the Minutemen.

"I've had two great years here. I want to see what we can do next year, and I just might be here for a long time. I love Western Massachusetts, and I love being this close to my parents. I'm not saying I'll coach at UMass for the rest of my life, but I'm not going anywhere right now."

Coach Nom didn't say it but rumors are very strong that his relationship with UMass women's head coach Midge Blake had to have been a huge factor in his decision to stay. If the lovebirds want to stay together that could be very good news for UMass. I mean what are the odds of both a men's and a women's coach both being offered jobs at the same school? Both teams made the Sweet Sixteen this season so the future is bright in Amherst!

4/16: Damn! All three assistants got new jobs. Promotions and raises for all of them so I can't blame them. But hiring assistants is never easy, especially hiring
the right ones.

Really happy my hires. Duffy Coy is my new #1, my recruiter. He was doing that very well at Duquesne, and wanted to come here to be closer to family.

Yaph King is my #2, my scouting coach. He has been at BU for a very long time, was there when I was a student there. He's a great guy and extremely analytical, which is just what i need in that spot.

Randy Cilk will be my bench/practice coach. He did that at Harvard. I've heard nothing but great things.

4/23: We desperately need a budget increase. I spent a lot on assistants.

We get $10,000. That puts us about where we were before the new hires.

32-5, A10 champs, Sweet Sixteen. Over my five year career I'm 135-34, .799.

Let's see what we can do with a lot of new faces.

Now to get Rick Hopeless to move us to a better conference.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:12 pm

5/1: We move to the AAC, Conf. Prestige 59, as opposed to 50 in the A10. Cincinnati, #25, Memphis, #18, and a couple others will be challenging. This is good for us.

Recruit class #53.

No money for any scouting reports except the National Basic.

"Thanks!"

"For what?"

"Moving us to a tough conference. We're going to battle some of these teams."

"Good for your program. I don't expect it to be easy for my guys, either."

6/5: Almost nothing to do regarding transfers and recruits. Only one senior. There's a PG from Providence, a transfer, we're interested in. We're making a strong pitch.

6/12: We got the PG! He looks like he's going to be really good!

6/25: Can't afford to go to any camps.

6/26: One scholarship. We'll go for the best player we can land.

"We need to talk."

"I agree, Phee."

"So... we've been seeing each other for almost a year."

"Yes we have."

"I'm thinking we should move to the next stage."

"Which is..."

"I was hoping you'd know..."

"(laughs) I don't. I mean how can we plan when we both want to run our own programs and one of us, most likely you, is bound to move to another school at some point, probably soon. If you're asking me to go with you and to give up coaching, forget it."

"No, I'm not asking that, and I wouldn't, Midge. I get that part of it."

"So we're kind of stuck."

"I don't know if we have to be."

"I'm listening."

"Let's think about possibilities... I think you should move in here. You're renting, I own. We spend most nights together anyway."

"And if you move and I stay?"

"Let's assume we'll figure a way to stay together when one of us moves up."

"I just don't know how that can happen."

"Look, let's say whichever of us gets a job, it has to be in an area where the other one can get a job."

"Sounds like a fantasy."

"Midge, I don't want to put my life on hold. We'll figure it out."

"Okay, so if Stanford wants me you'll come along and coach at Cal ST Bakersfield or whatever?"

"Let's assume we'll figure it out."

"Let's think about it for awhile."

"Okay, something else to think about... What I actually want is to marry you."

"Oh!"

"Yeah."

"I don't want kids. I know women coaches usually have kids but I don't see myself doing that. I want to coach and not have to be torn between taking care of kids and giving the job the attention and energy it needs."

"That's fine."

"Now I REALLY need some time to think."
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:47 pm

7/2: "Okay, I've thought about it."

"Good. Tell me."

"We don't move unless we both agree."

"I thought that was a given."

"Oh. Okay then. You're sure?"

"Of course."

"I didn't take the Michigan State job. There was one reason, and before you ask, no. I have absolutely no regrets. I want to be with you. That's more important than where I coach. I want be a Division I head coach, and I want to be with you."

"I feel the same way, unless it means I go to a really **** program."

"I don't want that. I think you can rise to the top of the field in women's hoops. I won't take that away from you."

"So, my lease is up on the first of August."

"You mean..."

"I mean I'm not going to pay rent any more. I'll help with expenses, of course."

"So, live in or get married?"

"I'm not ready to get married yet, but I'm not ruling it out at some point."

"I'll take it!"

8/1: Moving day. Pretty cool!

8/7: Sam Toma is #37 on the Norton list.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:54 pm

8/21: I offer to a C who may be a bit of a long shot. We'll see.

This was a great way to break in my new recruiting coach, Duffy Coy. Since we only had one scholarship I was able to really pay attention to the things he did and the way he did them. I have to say I'm impressed.

9/2: Midge has been living here for a month. No idea how I got along without her. Loving it!

9/18: Hawaiian Shootout vs. Auburn. Definitely a more challenging schedule.

9/25: We got the C, #31. Looks like a good one!

10/2: 1st day of practice. I think we're going to make some noise this season; we're good and we're deep.

"So, how does the team look?"

"One practice, but everybody's back. I think we're really going to kick ass this year if we stay healthy. UConn's here, Stanford and Baylor away. All the other top teams, too."

11/14: The season starts tomorrow. Here's the lineup:

Soph Sila Gazu is at PG. He didn't play much last year but he has looked terrific in practice.

Junior Arvid Biel has been our #3 guard for two years. He's ready to step up and start at SG.

I've got three other guards who deserve minutes. Juco junior Hec Howe, and frosh Mike Wins, a redshirt last season, and Brian Davy. We'll see how it plays out.

Junior Jason Bree moves from PF to SF. We'll be tough inside.

Junior Sam Toma is at PF. Last year he was at C but this is his natural position.

Soph Abe Hawk, a transfer from Akron, is at C. He has looked really good in practice.

Frosh Deke Juli is the first big man off the bench.

"I have a good feeling about this season, Phee. Let's both make good things happen!"
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:56 am

11/15: 78-70 vs. Murray ST here. We led all the way in the 1st but it was close. Up 4 at the break. We led most of the way but never broke it open.

Only +2 on the boards and `18 TOs. There's work to be done.

20, 12, 4 with 3 steals for Toma, 14, 8 for new C Abe Hawk. Really good bench play.

Off to the Hawaiian Shootout. Looking forward to seeing Hawaii.

We're the #4 seed and play #5 Auburn, 1-0. There are some good teams here but we feel like we should win this thing.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:15 am

11/18: 83-69. Auburn took an early lead. Down 5 at the half. We had a really good 2nd half. We caught up, took the lead, and then extended it. Their best player is their C and Abe Hawk kept him in check.

17, 5, 4 for Jason Bree, , 10, 7, 7 with 3 steals for Arvid Biel. Sub guard Mike Wins had 19. Subs Deke Juli and Chris Burr also played well. Our bench has been a real asset so far.

-10 RBs, but only 6 TOs.

#1 seed, #5 ranked Wisconsin in the semis. They're actually a much better team than I thought they were and I'm not as confident about this one as I'd like to be (although my kids will never know that).

Scouting coach Yaph King: They run a slow paced, balanced attack and they can score from anywhere, although they don't take a lot of threes. They score mostly from the inside.

On D they play man, with some 2-3, and press now and then, on an irregular basis. This team will be an early season challenge and we'd better pass well, move without the ball, take care of the ball, and play tight D. I think we have an advantage on the boards.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:43 am

11/19: 65-59. They took an early lead. Down 5 at the half. HELL of a game! Back and forth. We were down by as many as 12 in the 1st, led by as many as 11 in the 2nd, and they came back and took a late lead before we took over. It was a very physical game, 42 fouls called, 21 on each team

Most of the calls were legit, or reasonably so. We wound up with both PG Gazu and C Hawk playing lots of minutes with 4 fouls. Their C fouled out and their SG had 4.

-9 RBs, but we had 11 TOs and they had 21. Threes were not much of a factor; we had 5, they had 3.

It's #2 seed, #4 ranked Georgetown for the title. We're #10 as of today.

Scout Yaph King: They play an outside game, with their PG, SG, and SF all being very good players. They rebound really well too, more because of a deep bench than because of their starters; that being said I think our bench is better, and it will need to be in this game. We've got to play the game inside to have a real chance.

On O they go with a very quick pace. They move the ball quickly but they can be turned over and we'll need to do that.

On D they play mostly man with some 1-3-1, and they rarely press. Their D is solid.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:05 pm

11/20: 59-50. We took an early lead. Then we extended it. Up 15 at the half. It was a real defensive battle but they never got close enough to worry us in the 2nd half. Their D was good (41.5%39.1% on threes), but ours was incredible; we held them to 26.9%, 2-11 on threes. It was a physical game again, with each team being called for 18 fouls.

Toma had 10, 11, Biel 13, 6, but this one was about D and ours did not let us down.

We won the tournament by beating the #5 and then the #4 team in the country back to back. Amazing!

"Quite the little run, Phee."

"Yeah. I'm pretty happy. But hey, you had a good run, too. I could barely follow it out here, but winning the Pre-season NIT is very cool."

"And, we're ranked #7 in the latest poll."

"Wow! So tell me!"

"It was Della, and our two junior inside players, Smith and Wirz."

"I mean, you beat LSU, Stanford, and then Baylor. Stanford and Baylor are always big and bad inside."

"We were bigger and badder."

"So who can beat you?"

"Anybody if we have an off night. But if we're on probably only UConn. Addie Fudd and the rest of them are pretty tough."

"But can you beat them?"

"We'd need to play a nearly perfect game, but it's not impossible. We'll find out in a couple of weeks."
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm

11/22: 96-84. 2-0 Missouri here. They took an early lead but we came back. Up 5 at the half. They stayed with us until about 3 minutes to go and the final score was our biggest lead.

I've been all over PG Sila Gazu to shoot. He was averaging just under 5 points a game before tonight. He had 24, 2, 5, and I'm thrilled. I also hope this means he's learned the lesson, which is that when the PG becomes a threat to score, everything else opens up.

20, 7 for Hawk. Good bench play again.

-4 RBs, but only 11 TOs. We're working on rebounding but it's not showing much result yet.

Going in we figured their PG and C were their best players and Gazu and Hawk really outplayed those guys.

It's been nice to sleep in my own bed, and next to Midge for the past couple of nights after more than a week away, but now we're off on a 3 game road trip.

Midge is 6-0, and she should be at least in the top 5 when the next polls come out.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 pm

11/25: 91-78 at 1-2 Hofstra. We took an early lead again. Up 9 at the half. Easy road wins are a rarity but this one was all of that; we led by as many as 21.

Terrific bench play. C/F Chris Burr had 15 and 8, and C/F Deke Juli had 12, 9, 3. 9 and 4 for Mike Wins at guard. Bree had 15, 9, Hawk had 12, 9. 11, 7, 8 for Biel.

A season high 50 RBs (Finally!!!), +24.

We have 7 players averaging between 12.0 and 8.5, and #8 gets 6.2. I think that's called a varied attack.

We're at #7 in the polls, NET #10. Midge's team is #3, NET #2.

We both go against UConn next. We're in Storrs against #16. Their at Amherst against #1.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports