SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:21 am

Jan. 9, 2028: #6 ranked Boston College Eagles (13-1, 3-0) vs Florida State Seminoles (10-5, 0-4) at Donald L. Tucker Civic Center in Tallahassee, FL

SG James Lilly

I’m so happy to be playing for Boston College. To be honest, the main reason I chose BC was that the previous head coach PROMISED me that I would start as a freshman. The other colleges I was looking into wouldn’t give me that guarantee. I expected I could come here and turn the program around. That didn’t happen under the old coach in my freshman year. But when Coach Fed got here, things really began changing. Getting to the finals of the CIT tournament as a sophomore and then winning the ACC tournament and getting to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament as a junior made my decision to play for the Eagles a good one. And thus far this season, the team has been GREAT!

You gotta wonder what’s up with Florida State. They finished pre-conference play with a 10-1 record and were ranked as high as 11th in the polls. But they have lost their first 4 ACC games…and all 4 have been losses by double-digits. We’re intent on making their recent misfortunes continue. Unlike the most recent teams we’ve played, Florida State is more like us in that they don’t have one or two star players but a bunch of solid players, any one of whom can lead the team in a given game. So we’ll save our double teaming for anyone that gets hot.

Due to poor shooting we trailed most of the first half, but late in the half we went on a 9-0 run that gave us a small lead. With 6 seconds left, Coach Fed called a time out to set up an isolation play that allowed me to get up jumper from the left of the key that settled through the hoop to give us a 31-28 halftime advantage. We only hit 35% of our shots, but Florida State did no better in the half. Our top scorer in the first half was C Courtland Reese with 10 points. I had 5 points and 6 boards.

Early in the 2nd half we scored 10 unanswered points that gave us a 44-33 lead. With 16 minutes to play. We had to struggle to hold onto the lead but the Seminoles were able to whittle away at it mainly because of uncharacteristic poor foul shooting by us. But Florida State was fouling a lot, many were simply stupid fouls. So even though both teams weren’t shooting well from the field, we got to the foul line repetitively and that, along with a 47-34 rebounding advantage, turned out to be the difference. The extra 14 points we scored on free throws gave us a 67-54 win. Not pretty, but a win is a win.

Leading our scoring was C Courtland Reese with 20 points and he also had 8 rebounds. I had a nice little double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 am

Jan. 11, 2028: #6 ranked Boston College Eagles (14-1, 4-0) vs Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (9-6, 2-2) at Hank McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta, GA

Excerpts from WEEI Radio game broadcast

--Hi Eagles fan. This is Parker White along with Cap Morrison bringing you tonight’s game in Atlanta against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The first place Eagles hope to keep their perfect ACC record. Georgia Tech is a good shooting and scoring team averaging nearly 81 ppg, but poor defensively giving up nearly 78 ppg. What do you think BC’s chances are, Cap? This is their 2nd road game in three days, so will they be road-weary?

I think the Eagles are a much better team than the Yellow Jackets, Parker. Even though they’re living out of hotels, I believe that’s not going to be a problem.

I'm picking BC to win by at least 10 points. But they need to take advantage of Georgia Tech’s porous defense and shoot much better than they have been recently.

Both teams are at full strength for tonight’s game.

Right, Parker. So that’s another advantage for BC. Their depth will be a big plus in allowing Coach Aura to keep fresh legs on the court and wear down the Yellow Jackets.

The game’s about to start, Cap.

--Cap, BC’s come out on fire. Just over 4 minutes into the game and they’re ahead 14-0. If it weren’t for their 3 turnovers, the Eagles would even have a bigger lead.
--Lilly is called for his 2nd foul…that’ll send him to the bench with 14 minutes left in the half. But the Eagles’ defense has kept Georgia Tech from working the ball inside. 6 of their 8 shots have been from outside the 3-point arc. Parker, that’s a good reason they’re trailing 16-3. Jason Dunn checks in to replace Lilly.
--The refs are working BC over. 11:20 left to go in the half and they are charged with their 7th foul. That’s two on Caldwell. Greg Kidd replaces him.
--Sloppy play by the Eagles continues. That pass by Courtland Reese was way off target. That’s the team’s 8th turnover.
--Courtland Reese is the 4th player on BC to go to the bench with 2 fouls. Are the refs trying to keep the Yellow Jackets in the game? Coach Fed giving the refs heck.
--Boy that was one ugly half. BC had 11 turnovers, GT had 10. The Yellow Jackets hit just 26% of their FG’s but were able to cut the Eagles’ lead at the break to 33-31 because they went to the line 15 more times where they scored 12 more points than BC. The Eagles were tagged with 15 fouls and 6 of their players had 2 fouls apiece. The refs called just 7 fouls on GT. I’m surprised, Parker, that Coach Fed didn’t get a technical.
--The Eagles now trail 42-38 at the first media timeout of the 2nd half. Lilly now on the bench with 4 fouls.
--BC just ran off a 9-3 run to get them within 3 points at 50-47 with 10-1/2 minutes remaining.
--That’s 3 fouls on Meliet. He’ll join Lilly and McFadgon on the bench. The refs are making a travesty of this game.
--Phil Thompson hits the 3! Sweet shot. That ties the game at 54-54 with 8:47 to go.
--Meliet steps into the passing lane and picks off the pass. Marvin Reese streaks downcourt. Meliet shoots him with the pass and Reese slams it home. Boston College back on top 62-60 with 6:44 to go.
--The final media timeout is called with 3-1/2 minutes remaining and Georgia Tech on top 66-64. The Eagles need to start hitting a higher percentage of their shots and can’t afford any more turnovers, Parker.
--McFadgon’s 20 footer goes in to tie the game. A foul on the shot. McFadgon’s foul shot is off the rim.
--Lilly gets the ball into Kidd. Kidd makes a move to the bucket and slams it home. 68-66 in favor of BC. 2 minutes left to go.
--Yet another turnover by the Eagles. The Yellow Jackets are still down by two but call a time out with a minute to play. GT works the ball around. It goes to Brunson at just to the right of the key and he sinks it to tie the game. 43 seconds remain. Time out called by the Eagles.
--A pick and roll by BC, but Lilly’s shot is off the mark. GT brings it quickly down court and lofts a 3 that goes down. Time out called by BC with 19 seconds to go.
--The Eagles work the ball around the perimeter trying to get free for a 3. It goes to Phil Thompson in the corner and he puts it up. It’s IN! That ties it at 71-71. What a pressure shot!
--GT gets it upcourt quickly. Doctor’s shot is up…..and is no good. We go to overtime.
--Surprise. The refs call Georgia Tech for 2 fouls in the first 40 seconds of OT. BC converts 3 of 4 from the line to make it 74-71.
--Courtland Reese gets his 2nd block of the OT. The ball goes to Lilly who fires a quick outlet pass to Meliet. Meliet dribbles around the head of the key. He finds Courtland Reese on the baseline. Reese puts up a contested shot that drops through to make it 76-71 with 2:36 on the clock.
--Lilly steals the ball. He shoots it to Marvin Reese for a sweet alley-oop jam making it 78-71. Great defense by BC.
--Lilly knocks down an 18 foot jumper with 1:30 to go and it’s 80-71.
--With a minute to go, Georgia Tech is forced to foul. Marvin Reese misses the first and makes the second to give the Eagles a 10 point lead.
--Lilly fouls out with 55 seconds remaining. GT hits both shots to score their first points of the OT.
--The Yellow Jackets could only foul to try to get the ball back…making the final score 86-75. Stellar defense by BC allowed just 2 points on free throws and a very late FG by Georgia Tech in the overtime.
--Parker, after a very hard-fought second half, that was TOTAL domination by Boston College throughout the entire 5 minutes of overtime. The Eagles came up big in OT when it counted. They never let Georgia Tech get off an easy shot.
--In this game, Cap, the Eagles were led by C Courtland Reese with 15 points and 13 boards, PF Marvin Reese who had 13 points and 10 rebounds, SG James Lilly with 8 points and 12 boards, and SF Leonard Meliet who scored 8 and had 10 rebounds.
--That makes the Eagles 5-0 in the ACC and 1 game ahead of Virginia, Notre Dame and Miami.
--They have two more road games next week so their testing continues. We’ll be here next week for those games, folks…you be here too.

Jason Braxton, Athletic Director

The two road wins this week moved us up in the polls. We’re now 3rd in the Media Poll and 4th in the Coaches Poll. We remain as the team with the best NET Ranking.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 am

Jan. 16, 2028: #3 ranked Boston College (15-1, 5-0) vs Virginia Tech Hokies (7-8, 1-4) at Cassell Coliseum in Blacksburg, VA

Boston Herald

EAGLES SAVE BEST FOR LAST

The Boston College Eagles put their conference lead and their undefeated ACC record on the line when they travelled to take on Virginia Tech last night. Blacksburg, Virginia was during a near record cold spell, but a high level of enthusiasm by the Hokies fans warmed up Cassell Coliseum.

The Eagles’ defense stymied the Hokies early and Boston College ran away to a 19-4 lead eight minutes into the game. But BC’s offense got cold and Virginia Tech’s shooting warmed up. With 5 minutes to go in the half, the Hokies took a single point lead. The lead then flipped back and forth with BC scoring in the late going of the half to lead 37-34 at the break. C Courtland Reese scored 10 points and pulled down 6 rebounds in the first half.

Boston College opened the 2nd half with a spurt that put them ahead by 14 with 15 minutes to play. The teams exchanged baskets for the next four minutes but then the Eagles pulled further away to go up by a score of 71-51 with 8 minutes remaining. BC continued to extend their lead and finished the game by whipping the Hokies 91-62 as they outscored Virginia Tech by 26 points in the second half.

The Eagles connected on 54% of their FG’s and 47% of their 3’s while holding Virginia Tech’s shooting to 39% on FG'a and just 21% on their 3 point attempts. SF Leonard Meliet drilled in 25 points, C Courtney Reese had 18 points and 8 rebounds, and PF Marvin Reese added 10 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:00 am

Jan. 18, 2028: #3 seed Boston College Eagles (16-1, 6-0) vs Clemson Tigers (9-8, 3-4) at Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson, SC

Melissa Rockingham, Boston College Alumna

I graduated from BC five years ago and was hired by SYNNEX Corporation, a technology solutions provider, in Greenville, SC. I like living here even though my politics don’t mesh all that well with the majority here. I decided to make the 45 minute drive to Clemson to watch my alma mater, particularly since they’re doing so well this year. A friend of mine from work who is a Clemson fan came along with me. We have a bet on the game. I imagine I’ll be the only BC fan in attendance amongst a bunch of rabid Tigers fans.

According to my friend, Clemson has home wins against Virginia and Louisville, two ranked teams. They’re paced by SG Lou Robinson (15.5 ppg), SF Mark Leib (13.9 ppg), and C Bill DeManby (10.6 ppg). But I like what I’ve heard about the Eagles players so have a good feeling we’ll win. My friend says home court advantage will favor the Tigers but the Eagles have just finished winning three straight away games.

The Eagles shot well to begin the game. The first time out came with 14-1/2 minutes to play and the score 16-7 with BC leading. My friend who had been loud when the game started had quieted down. The Eagles were ahead by 15 two minutes later. SF Leonard Meliet is hitting every shot he takes…great player. Clemson finished the half strong and the game was tied at 46-46 at the end of the half.

Clemson came out burning up the net and streaked ahead 55-48. Courtland Reese picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls in the first 2-1/2 minutes of the 2nd half. Then the Tigers could do no wrong and the Eagles could do nothing right. Clemson went ahead 77-55 with 12 minutes remaining. The crowd was going absolutely crazy. The Tigers simply could not miss and the lead grew to 88-61 a couple minutes later. The Eagles went down to a huge defeat, 111-88. My friend said the Tigers hit about 75% of their shots in the 2nd half and about the same percentage of their 3’s. Clemson’s SF Mark Leib scored 24 and SG Lou Robinson hit for 22. BC’s leading scorers were C Courtland Reese with 15, SG James Lilly with 13, and SF Leonard Meliet with 11.

Ray Martin’s WRKO Radio Station interview of Coach Frederick Aura:

Martin: What happened Coach?
Aura: We ran into a buzzsaw. Clemson simply outplayed us the last 30 minutes of the game. And in the 2nd half, we fell apart completely on defense.
Martin: You had such a good start in the game.
Aura: I think that was our undoing actually. We got overconfident and you just can’t do that against any ACC team. Losses are inevitable but I sure hate to lose the way we did.
Martin: I guess now it’s time to regroup.
Aura: Oh, we will. The team is solid. We finally get to play a home game next. Four straight away games is torture.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:51 pm

Janeka Aura

Fred’s attention is more focused on his team this year than ever before. Don’t get me wrong, he’s always been spent many hours every day on his teams. But for some reason, it seems he’s devoting even more time and energy this season. You’d think that when his team is doing so well, things would each up. But maybe the pressure of being ranked high in the polls is creating stress. Whatever it is, it means he has less time for family…which I’m not happy about. Of course he has to miss Malik’s high school basketball games when Boston College is on the road, but he’s also missed a few when they’ve been here in town. Not good. He makes every effort to get to Devany’s soccer games, but has missed a few of those too.

I’m still working mainly from home. Mom’s cancer was in remission, but it’s snuck back. So I’m spending a lot of time with her and Daddy. They’re pretty resilient but this has been a long, rough journey for them.

Devany is now a 5th grader. She loves school and ballet but excels in soccer. She’s a bubbly kid who is beginning to really get into music.

Malik is a junior in high school. I believe he’s experiencing some of the normal challenges of high school and being a teenager. But he’s an extremely good basketball player. He’s not as tall as Omari but has a great scorer at his SG position.

Omari chose to go to Providence. As a freshman, he’s finding college scholastics to be more difficult than high school. So far he’s pretty much a B- student at Providence. He’s been coming in off the bench at SF, playing a little over 10 mpg and averaging 3.5 ppg and 1.5 rpg. Even though he’s not hitting his shots as well as he’d like, Coach Brandin Parker feels he’s breaking in well to collegiate basketball. The Friars are 16-3 and ranked 5th in the polls. Fred tries to get to as many of Omari's games as possible, but we can also catch Providence’s games on TV.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 am

Jan. 20, 2028: Miami (FL) (13-5, 5-3) vs #3 ranked Boston College (16-2, 6-1) at Silvio O. Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, MA

Bobby Monroe, WRKO Radio

I host a daily sports talk show on WRKO. Since the Eagles have been playing so well, there’s been a lot more callers wanting to talk about the team. I’ve watched many of their games on TV, but decided I’d come see them in person hoping it would give me a better perspective on the team and be able to talk about some things its not easy to pick up on when just watching them on the tube.

One thing that jumped right out at me during the warmups was that James Lilly really is much smaller than most of the other players and yet he’s been one of BC’s top rebounders. At 6’0” he’s the smallest guy on the team. I was hoping he would have a big rebounding night so I can see how he accomplishes it from his SG position.

Miami has played inconsistently in ACC action, but they are the only ACC team that’s beaten Virginia and the Cavaliers are presently tied with Boston College for first place in the ACC. The Hurricanes have scored well but have been weak defensively.

Observations:

+Courtland Reese looked dominant inside. Scored 9 points in the first 5 minutes.
+Eagles zone defense was effective.
+Watching Lilly rebound…he just anticipates so well…gets to the right place, good elevation when there.
+BC careless with the ball…too many turnovers.
+Leonard Meliet looked good from outside the arc. Hard to believe he’s only a freshman…able to score, rebound, and dish out assists.
+Coach Aura subs regularly keeping fresh legs on the court.
+Miami rallied a couple times to get within a single point, but BC able to shut them down and regain control, including 21-4 run that put the Eagles ahead 40-22 with minute remaining in half.
+At the half, it was 47-27 in favor of Boston College. FG%: 50% for BC, 27% for Miami; 3P%: 47% for BC, 10% for Miami; Turnovers: 8 by BC, 11 by Miami; Rebounding: even.
+3 Eagles in double figures after 1st half: Leonard Meliet—14; Courtland Reese—12; Josh McFadgon—11. Bench which has played well in most other games was unproductive in first half. Top scorer for Miami had just 5 points.
+Bench-warmer SF Keith Kolder came in and fired up offense in the second half. He scored 7 points and grabbed to rebounds in his first 5 minutes on the floor.
+Miami never able to reduce BC’s lead in the second half due to Eagles’ lock-down defense which caused the Hurricanes to shoot even worse than they did in the first half.
+Eagles controlled the boards in the second half.
+Boston College won with ease 79-54.
+Miami’s shooting for entire game was an abysmal 24% and BC forced them to make 16 turnovers. Only thing Miami did well was shoot free throws hitting 19 for 19 at the line.
+Eagles’ reserves played much better in second half, scoring 16 of the 32 points the Eagles scored in the 2nd half.
+C Courtland Reese: 18 points and 7 rebounds; SF Leonard Meliet: 16 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists; PG Josh McFadgon: 11 points; PF Marvin Reese: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists; SG James Lilly-8 rebounds.
+#13 ranked Virginia traveled to take on Notre Dame and beat the #15 ranked Fighting Irish to stay in a tie with Boston College for 1st place in the ACC. #14 ranked North Carolina and #2 ranked Duke are one game back.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:24 pm

Jan. 25, 2028: North Carolina State Wolfpack (13-5, 5-3) vs #4 ranked Boston College (17-2, 7-1) at Silvio O. Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, MA

HOOPS (the basketball-focused blog with the highest page views)

A surprising name in the Top 5 in the polls this season has been a college that has not been highly ranked for over a quarter of a century. The new Top 5 entrant this season is Boston College. While it was evident the Eagles were on an ascendance, few anticipated that the Eagles would even be in the Top 25 this season.

In the 5 seasons before Frederick Aura took over as head coach at Boston College, the Eagles has won 49 and lost 105 games. So in just 2-1/2 years, Aura has worked wonders at BC. Obviously Jason Braxton, Boston College’s athletic director, must have taken notice of Aura when Aura’s Towson team trampled the Eagles by 17 points in a pre-conference game in 2023. While not mentioning that embarrassing loss, Braxton said, “We were in need of a big turn around for our basketball program. Fred Aura did a tremendous job of developing Towson from a losing program into a consistent winner and powerhouse within their conference and a repeat participant in the NCAA Tournament. I thought he could do the same for us, but even I’ve been surprised by the rapidity with which he’s done so here.”

Boston College has a sparkling 17-2 season record this year and sits tied with Virginia atop the Atlantic Coast Conference with a 7-1 record. Playing on the road, the Eagles shocked #2 ranked Duke by defeating the Blue Devils 61-42 in an ACC opener.

The Eagles have streaked upward in the polls…as high as #3. Even though Boston College won 2 games last week, a loss to Clemson caused them to fall a notch in the polls to #4. Above them are Kansas, Duke (which is a game behind BC in the ACC standings ), and Creighton.

Last night, the Eagles hosted another team that has played better this season than expected…the North Carolina State Wolfpack (13-5, 5-3). To keep up with Virginia which won earlier in the day, BC needed to win.

The Eagles, playing at home, were 10 point favorites and C Courtland Reese scored 7 of BC’s first 9 points, but the Wolfpack didn’t fold. Midway through the first half, NC State was ahead by 7 points. The Eagles gamely fought to come back and 5 minutes later regained a small lead due to a stout defense. That lead grew to as much as 8 and the half ended with Boston College on top 46-39. Courtland Reese had an awesome half, scoring 17 points for the Eagles.

Three minutes into the 2nd half, BC’s lead had grown to 15 points. Five minutes later the difference was 25 points as the Eagles demonstrated their strength. Even though Coach Aura was substituting freely, BC continued their dominance and finished the game with an impressive 91-64 victory.
The Eagles outshot the Wolfpack 45% to 33%, dominated the boards 45-30, held a 15-8 turnover advantage, outscored NC State in the paint 32-10, on 2nd chance points 18-4, and on fast break points 8-2.

Leading Boston College was C Courtland Reese with 24 points and 10 rebounds. He was ably supported by SF Leonard Meliet’s 14 points, SG James Lilly recording a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards, and reserve PF Winston Minahan who scored 10 points.

Coach Frederick Aura said, “This was a good team effort. I was particularly happy with how we were able to effectively tighten our defense over the final 30 minutes of the game. Courtland and James played extremely well as did Winston Minahan and Jason Caldwell who came in off the bench to score a combined 19 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Jan. 27, 2028: #4 ranked Boston College Eagles (18-2, 8-1) vs #9 ranked Louisville Cardinals (16-5, 5-4) at KFD Yum! Center in Louisville, KY

2nd Assistant Coach Chris Evans (recruiting)

It’s been a little over two months since unsupported allegations were made about our recruiting program. I’d thought these had disappeared the way all false accusations should. But earlier this week, an NCAA investigator appeared at our door asking to review our records. This took a full two days. While I was certain he would find nothing amiss, it still was an excruciating time for me and everyone here at Boston College.

The investigator left late yesterday without providing an inkling about his findings. I guess now we wait to see if another shoe drops. I can not for the life of me believe that anything will come of this. But it’s still extremely unsettling. Coach Aura has taken it all calmly, at least on the exterior. Practice proceeded as if nothing was going on. That’s good because Louisville will be a tough team to beat on their home court. They have an 11-1 home record this season.

The Louisville Cardinals have been extremely inconsistent in ACC play but kicked butt throughout their pre-conference schedule. They’re one of the top rebounding teams in the country, but I think that’s because they’ve been a poor shooting team so have more rebounding opportunities.

We’ll be finding out tomorrow how the five guys we recruited did on their SAT’s. I’m on pins and needles awaiting those results and sure hope all five met our minimum score.

Game developments:

Some good defense by us early that allowed the Cardinals to hit just 1 of their first 12 FG’s so that we opened a 13-3 lead. Surprisingly, we control the boards throughout the first half. We pretty much maintained a double digit lead from thereon and finished the half up 39-30. We didn’t shoot well hitting just 38% of our shots but Louisville hit only 31% of theirs. We out-rebounded the Cardinals 22-12. SF Michael Millford came in off the bench to lead our scoring with 7 points.

Play was extremely sloppy by both teams in the 2nd half. Both teams had a tough time getting the ball in the hoop making the poor shooting of the first half seem good. There were lots of turnovers and fouls. We padded our lead to as much as 16 points even though we were hitting about 25% of our shots during the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. Louisville cut our lead to 7 points with 3-1/2 minutes to go. We rallied to retake a double digit lead, but then the Cardinals came back and with 1:20 left they narrowed the gap to 64-60. But Louisville was forced to foul from thereon and we managed to come away with a 70-63 victory. The Cardinals hit just 31% of their shots, but we could only get 34% of our in the hoop. We controlled the boards 47-29 but had 19 turnovers to 12 by the Cardinals.

C Courtland Reese had a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds. SG James Lilly also had a double-double with 12 points and 12 boards. SF Leonard Meliet and PF Marvin Reese scored in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

We played unimpressively but our defense carried us to a road win and kept us tied with Virginia for first place in the ACC, one game ahead of Duke and 2 games ahead of Notre Dame and North Carolina.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Jason Braxton, Athletic Director

Good news this week. All five of our recruited players had high enough SAT scores to exceed our minimum requirements. Each of them are ranked within the top 100 recruits. So we’re all excited to get them onto campus later this year and plying for us next fall.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Jan. 30, 2028: #2 ranked Duke Blue Devils (20-2, 8-2) vs #4 ranked Boston College (19-2, 9-1) at Silvio O. Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, MA
TJ Perry, athletic trainer for Boston College

We’ve had a series of nagging injuries this season. Fortunately they’ve all be fairly minor. For this game it’s Jason Caldwell. He fell hard in practice. Came down on his right hand which is still sore. He is going to play but the minor injury may inhibit his effectiveness. The pain should pass before our next game, though. Coach Fed generally takes a pretty conservative approach, holding players out or limiting their play. This keeps the injuries from being aggravated, so his philosophy really helps our training staff. On the other hand, most players want to play and tend to provide overly optimistic comments about the extent of their injuries and ability to play. But if they do play with an injury that is limiting what they can do, my experience has been that their productiveness is typically greatly decreased.

Tonight’s opponent, Duke, has one player out. Reserve PF Dave Chavis broke his leg a couple weeks ago. The Blue Devils’ star C Brian Taylor injured his wrist two games ago and he played poorly after the injury in that game. But he played in their next game and did well, so apparently it’s not bothering him all that much.

The coaching staff and team seemed really focused in practice on taking down Duke. The Blue Devils come into the game riding a 7 game win streak. After losing to us on their home court a month ago, Duke is likely to be seeking revenge so it’s not going to be easy. But our beating them twice this season would be a huge rocking of the ACC world. I’m hoping we stay healthy throughout the game so I can watch as much of it as possible.

PF Marvin Reese scored the first 7 points in the game. After that we pulled out to a 14-3 lead at the first media timeout. The bench and our fans were going crazy. Coming out of the timeout, SF Leonard Meliet drained to make it 17-3 and causing Duke’s coach to call a timeout to try to quiet the crowd. Duke responded by knocking down a 3 as soon as play resumed. But the Blue Devils looked rattled. Jason Caldwell was politicking to get into the game, but Coach Fed had Winston Minahan replace Marvin Reese at PF. We went flat offensively for a while but then got back on track to build a 33-12 lead with 6 minutes left in the half. SF Michael Millford went down hard and came out of the game. We checked him out, but he was ok. The half ended with us on top 46-27.

Nothing but normal aches and pains in the locker room. Coach Fed was happy with the way the team had played so just made a slight change defensively for the second half to try to keep SF Rod Allen, who’d scored 10 points in the first half, in check. All our scoring in the first half came from our starters plus C Greg Kidd.

Duke went on a run the first 5 minutes of the second half to cut our lead to 52-48. Even though our guys were having a tough time hitting their shots, they were able to reopen a double-digit lead. Marvin Reese came down with a muscle cramp but was able to return to play after we worked on it. Late in the game Duke had to foul to try to get the ball back in their hands. That allowed us to add to our lead and come away with a prized 73-56 win over Duke.

Topping our scoring were C Courtland Reese and SF Leonard Meliet with 15 point each. Courtland Reese also had 8 rebounds. PF Marvin Reese scored 11 and PG Josh McFadgon and reserve C Greg Kidd both scored 10. SG James Lilly had 8 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists. Duke’s SF Rod Allen had 20 points and 8 rebounds, but Courtland Reese completely shut down C Brian Taylor who scored just 2 points in 34 minutes of play.

Since Coach Fed kept Jason Caldwell off the floor throughout the entire game, I believe Jason will be fully recovered for our next game.

Virginia didn’t play tonight, so we have a half-game lead in the ACC standings.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports