Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am

1/19: 10-6, 4-3 Illinois is here. They won by 7 at their place. On paper it's a toss up. Hopefully the home court will see us through.

1/20: “Don't let their guards beat you.”

Back and forth. Up 6 after 10. Up 5 at the break. +8 RBs, 3 TOs to 6. Both teams are shooting 36.4% but we've taken 11 more shots. Sams has 3 fouls. Up 5 with 10 to play.

80-66 on a late run. 19, 5, 7 for Rico who gets better with each game at PG. 13, 16, 3 for Mack, 12, 7, 4, 5 for Hern, 17 for Sams.

+12 on the boards. Only 5 TOs. We held them to 34.8%. We shot better and took 12 more shots.

It never ends. Sams strained a knee. Out for 2 weeks. Hern will start at SG.

The games are back. We're a very busy crew but Captain Gray is assigning even more work tot he robots, and we're back on a 5 day, 8 hour a day week, so there's more free time.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:43 am

1/25: At #8 Wisconsin, 15-4, 5-3. This won't be easy! We need to stop their backcourt and control the paint. And make some shots!

1/26: “Their SG leads the nation in scoring. We may double him.” Of course my starting SG is out; figures.

They take a big early lead. Down 10 after 10. Down 12 at the half. We're not stopping their guards, 33.3% to 51.6%.

“Damn it! You're not playing like you want to win. I need to see some energy!”

In a big gamble I go to 3-2 to try to stop the outside shot and maybe cause some turnovers.

We're not making shots; we're not stopping them. It's a rout, down 25 with 10 left. I empty the bench early.

72-89. My best player was Berr, from the bench. I'll start him for Hern. Bowe had 15 and 7.

Their starting guards had 40 while ours had 19. -10 in the paint, -9%.

14-6, 4-5, tied for 8th place. Not good.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:58 am

1/29:14-6, 6-3 Michigan is here. They just fell out of the top 25. We're heavily favored. I'm not convinced, these guys can play. We're down to #21; surprised we're still ranked. Tuck is back!

1/30: Back and forth then we take a lead and they come back. Up 4 after 10. Up 7 at halftime. 15 for Berr, 11 for Mack. +6 RBs. Nothing from the bench. We're shooting 48.6%, very good for us. Up 16 with 10 to go.

96-82. Best offensive performance of the season, 49.3% and all those points!

Berr had a career best 34; if he keeps playing this way we'll need to start him even after Sams comes back. 18, 7 for Tuck, 17,6 for Mack. 12, 3, 9, 4 for Rico, 10, 8 for Bowe. +5 RBs.

As expected one of our recruits didn't hit our SAT score. Naturally, he was our #1 big, and we need bigs. We offer to a C.

I finish 3rd in this month's poker tournament. I went out on a straight. Lost to a flush.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 pm

2-2: At 12-7, 5-4 Minnesota. We're heavily favored but they have a very good outside game and it's at their place.

Early lead. Up 12 after 10. 2/3: Up 11 at the half; we led by 20. 15, 5 for Berr, 14 for Hern. +6 RBs, 3 TOs. Shooting 55.9%!

Up 9 with 10 left but they're coming back. Late run for us.

93-68. Another game where we score a lot of points and shoot well, 50%!

24, 8, 3 for Berr, who is playing terrific ball. Sams is back and he needs to start but I'm starting Berr as well, at the Point.

11, 13, 3 for Tuck, 17, 4 for Hern. 6 players with 10 or more.

+17 RBs, 7 TOs. 50% shooting.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:06 pm

2/5:At 15-8, 5-7 Purdue. We won by 14 at our place. They're tough outside but we turned them over.

2/6: Down 6 after 10. Tied at 36 at halftime. They're outshooting us but only by 1.7%. +6 RBs, 3 more TOs. The stats are about as even as the score. Our front court needs to do more; Tuck has 3 fouls... again! Down 6 with 10 to go.

69-76. The road has not been kind to us in Big Ten play.

17, 7, 5 for Sams, 16, 8 for Bowe, 10, 7 for Mack. Tuck was useless in the 14 minutes he played before fouling out.

+9 RBs. An appalling 20 TOs to 12. Shooting %s were about equal but we were -9 at the line.

16-7, 6-6, alone in 6th place. No, I'm not happy with that. But we should go 6-2 in our last 8, which would help. No guarantee, of course.

I'm enjoying the peacefulness of staring out, via computer on a huge screen, at the vastness of space. Everything is pretty peaceful these days and I always enjoy looking out.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:00 pm

2/12: 9-14, 5-8 Iowa is here. They don't rebound that well and they have trouble scoring.

2/13: This is one we should win.

Early lead. They come back. Up 2 after 10. We take charge; up 18 at the half. 20 for Berr. 6 TOs to 16- that would give them 32 for the full game... +9% shooting. We could do better in the paint. They have a good C but he's in foul trouble. We're sleep walking in the 2nd and up only 6 with 10 to go. I'm doing some major ass kicking! It's helping...

69-50; we finally woke up!

29, 2, 4 for Berr but 5 TOs. Scoring was balanced other than Berr.

They shot better but we took 22 more shots. 10 TOs to 27.

Michigan ST is running away with the conference. The next 7 teams or so are tightly bunched. We're alone in 6th, 1 ½ back of 2nd, 2 up on 10th.

I guess this isn't funny but the peacefulness and free time seem to have led to a virtual epidemic of cheating on spouses. People are regularly getting caught coming out of living quarters with people who are NOT their spouses or partners. While I'm finding this humorous I also see that there's the potential for BIG trouble here...
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:44 pm

2/16: 13-11, 6-8 Minnesota is here to end our brief home stand. We won by 25 there. They have good outside game.

2/17: They take an early lead. Down 6 after 10 and I'm raising the roof! Down 5 at the half. Trust me, you don't want to be in this locker room! Sams has 12, Tuck has 10. They're outshooting us and out rebounding us, and we're about even in the paint. Their bench is playing better but that's not unusual for us. Two former starters on the bench and they typically give us very little; that's why they're not starting any more!

“I want to win this game. I'd like to see some sign that YOU want to win it!”

We finally take a lead with 12 left, but down 3 with 10 left. Finally a run!

84-72 but it sure took a while.

30, 6 for Sams, 20, 10, 3, 4 for Tuck- when he stays out of foul trouble he can be a force... +5 RBs, 12 TOs to 21. We outshot them by 3.6%, +10 from the line. We could have done more inside...

Be careful what you laugh at. I was walking past Jeff Braun's living quarters when guess who came out... Yep, Jeff and Lacy, laughing and with “that look” in their eyes. Not so funny now.

2/18: Lacy and I spoke at length last night. She admitted that she and Jeff have been seeing each other for “a while now...”

After a very long discussion we agreed that it was time to end our relationship. We'll share custody of June, who is now nearly 11, on an equitable basis, with June having input into that decision. We'll treat each other with respect, maintain a friendship, and do our best to do our best for June.

I've been thinking that I am a very busy guy. I probably didn't pay enough attention to Lacy. I WILL keep that in mind regarding June and be sure to give her the time she needs. As to future relationships... not even thinking about that right now. Time will tell.

I've requested a single and will move as soon as I get it. Lacy and I are okay with me staying here until that happens, which is usually quick in this type of situation.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:30 pm

2/19: At 13-11, 7-8 Ohio ST. We're favored by 1 ½. We need to contain their outside game. And then there's the fact that we don't do so well on the road...

2/20: Back and forth early. They take the lead. Down 6 after 10. We come back. Up 9 at the half. 13 for Tuck. +5 RBs, 6 fewer TOs. They're shooting better bit we took 10 more shots and we're +4 from the line. Up 8 with 10 left. They're not going away! Late run by us!

75-51. I wanted this one. We're probably going to lose 2 more and this one would have made it 3, which would not have been good.

20, 11 for Tuck, who stayed out of foul trouble again. 15, 5, 4, 3 for Sams. Our bench held its own for once!

+7 RBs, 7 fewer TOs. We shot 5.6% better, played excellent 2nd half D.

We're 20-7, 10-4, tied for 4th, 1 back of 2nd, but 2 teams are 1 back of us.

I was assigned my new living quarters, two decks down from where I am now. June is helping me move, which is a very easy job. All living quarters are furnished so it's really just clothes and a very few personal items. All reading is done electronically; there's not a physical book on the ship, not even operating or training manuals. I wanted June to help so we could talk. It was enlightening.

“Dad, how could you not see this? They've been hanging together for weeks. You didn't notice?”

“They work in the same department. I never gave it a thought, but if I had I would have assumed they were friends.”

“God!”

“It's part my fault, June. I haven't paid enough attention to her... or to you for that matter. I plan to change that part.”

“That would be good.”

“I mean it. And you shouldn't need to remind me but feel free to.”

“Nope...”

“Nope?”

“Nope. If you can't be bothered to remember then you don't really want to do it.”

“As usual, you're right. I'll remember.”

“(Laughs) You'll put a reminder in your phone. I know you.”

(They both laugh)

“I would have stayed with her if she wanted to work it out.”

“I believe that. You've got a good heart. She didn't want to though?”

“No.”

“Then it's for the best. Move on.”

“No choice. But it's okay. I'm not going to fall apart or anything.”

“Are you going to start dating?”

“Not even a little bit interested.”

“The women will be all over you. You're not THAT old, you're in good shape, you're well liked by most everybody. You'll have to fight them off.”

“Not an appealing proposition.”

“There's no one you're interested in?”

“I haven't thought in those terms for about 15 years. Not ready to start.”

“Well get ready. I'm telling you, they're going to be all over you, and not subtle about it.”

“Ugh.”

She's probably right. June is a great observer of human nature. She really knows people.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:52 pm

2/23: 14-13, 7-9 Indiana is here. We lost by 6 at our place; a game we should have won! They're better outside than inside but they hit the boards.

2/24: A run puts us up 10 after 10. Up 16 at halftime. 13 for Berr, 9 and 8 for Bowe. Up 13 RBs but LOTS of RBs because both teams are shooting badly, 39.5% for us, 27.8% for them.

“Good start but this isn't over.”

They catch up; up 3 with 10 left. I'm through the roof, pissed! Finally a run! Then a BIG run.

97-65, but they gave us a scare.

25, 14 for Bowe, 29, 3, 8 for Berr, 11, 5, 6 for Sams.

+24 RBs! We outshot them big but they were +12 in the paint.

June has been staying here most of the time.

“Mom's in LOVE! She doesn't know I'm there most of the time. When she does, all she wants to talk about is Jeff. Ugh!”

“It's still fairly new. She'll be better at perspective in time.”

“Yeah, but it's sickening.”

“You're welcome here any time but keep a relationship with your mother. Things will get better.”

“Okay.”

“One good thing for me. You're here most of the time so I get to spend time with you. In case you wondered, I really am enjoying that.”

“It shows. That hike was fun the other day, and I can't believe we went roller skating and YOU skated!”

“Hey, I'm not so old. And we have another hike tomorrow, remember?”

“Yep.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm

2/26: 11-16, 4-13 Rutgers, there. This is a road game we need because our last two are both going to be challenging.

They have trouble scoring and give up 5 more a game than they score. They're 0-4 vs. ranked teams, all of them blowouts, and 3 of them at home. They do not rebound well.

2/27: Big lead. Up 12 after 10. Up 42-18 at the break. 15, 7 for Bowe, 13, 9 for Tuck; we're killing them inside! Shooting 20% more than their 22.6%. +10 RBs, NO TOs! Mack has 3 fouls but it doesn't matter, at least so far. Up 18 with 10 remaining.

84-74. They got it to 6 a couple of times.

“Damn it! You canNOT relax until it's over!”

22, 1, 4 for Berr, 17, 26 for Tuck, who's been at the top of his game lately. 17, 10 for Bowe, 11, 7, 3 for Sams, 12, 5 for Mack. 4 TOs for the game!

In a 3 way tie for 2nd with 2 tough games left. I'd LOVE 1-1!

We hit what is roughly equivalent to an “air pocket” while June and I were hiking. She was hurt, badly. So was I, but not as badly. She fractured a shoulder and an ankle, and was severely cut up and bruised all over her body. I got the abrasions and contusions as well, but no broken bones. This happened in the holo, of course, but there's no protection from the “air pockets” when they hit.

I cancelled the program and called for help. June was in a lot of pain, of course. All of us on the ship have first aid and more in depth training, so I did what I could before professional help arrived but the pain was severe until they gave her a shot, which they couldn't do until they did testing to be certain there wasn't a brain injury. Fortunately, there wasn't.

She'll spend a day or two in the ship's sick bay and then come home. I plan to take a short leave to be with her for the first few days, which she will both love and find annoying. I actually need the time to heal as well; I don't like to take pain meds and I'm really hurting.

No one knows what these so called “air pockets” really are, or why they are out here in space, but fortunately, given how incredibly vast space is, the odds of intersecting with one are miniscule. Sadly, we beat those odds.

17 people were killed, and nearly everyone was injured, more than 100 seriously so. June was fortunate in getting professional help as quickly as she did given how overwhelmed the staff were. The ship is on a “work only as absolutely needed” basis until people heal.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports