SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (0-0) @ Indiana State Sycamores (0-0) [Preseason NIT Tournament]

Coach Fred Aura

We may be in a little over our heads to take on the Sycamores on the road. A good test, nonetheless. And being here, sometimes I feel like Larry Bird is still going to take the court against us. Fortunately that’s not going to be the case, but Indiana State has some very good players, particularly PG Bob Driggers.

Having to try to juggle using just 7 players is definitely a big challenge for me since I prefer to run about 10 players in and out of games to keep fresh legs on the court. It’s also going to be rough on those 7 guys. They’re going to have to dig deep since there will be times when they’re exhausted and still on the court. Normally I have the team deploy a full court press a fair amount, but will need to cut down on that this season so as not to wear down my guys too much. Our walk-ons haven’t shown yet that they’re really ready to handle tough opposition. So if any get into the game, it will be for very short periods of time. We’ll see how it goes, though.

The first half was extremely close the entire way. We held a small lead a good portion of the time but the Sycamores hit a 3 at the buzzer to take a 45-44 lead to the locker room. My 7 guys did a good job, out-rebounding Indiana State but not shooting as well as the Sycamores. Terrell Alexander threw down 13 points and Don Smith contributed 12 points and 6 rebounds.

We came out flat in the 2nd half and Aki Mosley was charged with his 3rd foul with 18:23 to go and Charles Gordon picked up his 3rd foul 2-1/2 minutes later. But our guys doggedly hung with the Sycamores until Indiana State went on a 10-0 run midway through the half. We chipped away and got within a single point with 4-1/2 minutes to go. Trailing 77-75 with 59 seconds remaining, I called a time out and set up a pick and roll play. The play ran well but we missed the shot. Indiana State missed a shot and we got the ball back with 41 seconds left. We took another time out with 33 seconds on the clock. We set up to isolate Charles Gordon for a shot but the pass to him was intercepted and the Sycamores scored on the subsequent fast break. Gordon drilled a 3 on our possession, but the Sycamores were able to run out the last few seconds and beat us 79-78. I was proud of how we stuck with them and nearly pulled off the upset and think we may have won this one if Aki Mosley hadn’t had an off night offensively (0 for 8 from the field and 0 for 2 from the free throw line, but he has the tendency to be really hot or really cold). Our 7 scholarship players played the entire game with each recording between 23 and 36 minutes of playing time.

Both SF Charles Gordon and SG Terrell Alexander scored 22 points with Gordon recording 7 rebounds and Alexander getting 5 boards and 5 assists. C Don Seals had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Bob Driggins, Indiana State’s PG, had 13 points and 12 assists.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:16 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (0-1) @ Omaha Mavericks (1-0)

KCPR Cal Poly radio station (Excerpts from their broadcast of the game)

*In the Mavericks victory over Mt. Saint Mary’s, Omaha’s PG Abel Sanders poured in 33 points, so the Mustangs will need to keep him in check if they want a chance of winning this game.
*Victor Carson is starting again at SG, but if Terrell Alexander has another big game tonight, like he did in the Mustangs previous game, he may win the starting role in the future.
*A big question is whether Coach Aura will again stick with just 7 players or if he will try giving some time to a few of his walk-on players.
*We’re back with you, the teams are on the court awaiting the tip-off. The tip’s controlled by Omaha and they bring it up court. A pass to Braswell at the head of the key. He drives and pulls up in the key. His jumper is good and he’s fouled by Curtis Pearson. Braswell toes the line, bounces it three times and puts up the shot that falls through to complete the 3 point play just 8 seconds into the game. Mosley takes the inbounds pass and dribbles it up over midcourt. He swings the ball over to Carson near the right side line. He’s fires it into the corner to Don Seals. Seals puts up a jumper that drops in making it 3-2.
*Aura is all over the zebras. That’s the 3rd foul they’ve called on Aki Mosley and the 6th team foul and we’re just 7-1/2 minutes into the game. Carson replaces Mosley. Maxwell sinks both shots to make it 10-8 in favor of Omaha.
*Foul troubles have forced Coach Aura to insert two of his walk-ons into the game with 10 minutes to go in the half….Turner is at PG and Hayes at SF.
*The fouls continue to pile up against the Mustangs. Two more points on free throws for the Mavericks gives them a 6 point lead at 28-22 with 3:15 left in the first half.
*Cal Poly is being forced to play a soft defense due to the number of fouls on most of their players. That’s allowed Omaha to open their biggest lead of the game at 33-22.
*The half ends with Omaha on top 40-31. While Cal Poly has forced the Mavericks to make 12 turnovers to just 6 by the Mustangs, Omaha has completely dominated the boards to the tune of 15-7 and the Mavericks have made 6 more points at the foul line. C Don Seals has scored 15 points for Cal Poly. Mosely and Pearson have 3 fouls apiece and Seals and Alexander have been tagged with 2 fouls each.
*Alexander takes advantage of a screen and lofts up a 3 that swishes through the hoop. His 5 points this half have cut the Mustangs deficit to 41-36.
*Nice tip in by Seals. The Mavericks bring the ball up quickly but then make another errant pass. Mosley makes a quick up court pass to Carson who fires it to Seals on the right of the key. Seals fights his way to the basket and throws down a jam making it 45-40 in favor of Omaha with 16 minutes remaining.
*Alexander hits the 3 to finally get the lead to under 5 points. It’s now 51-47.
*Mosley continues to be ice cold. He missed two shots on that possession and has yet to score a single point this season. Other than Don Seals, the entire team is having a tough time getting the ball into the hoop.
*Mosley was fouled on the outside shot and he’ll get 3 free throws. He drops in all 3 shots, scoring his first points of the season and reducing Omaha’s lead to 62-58. 3 minutes left.
*The Mustangs inability to hit their shots in the 2nd half sunk an otherwise good effort. The final score: Omaha-72, Cal Poly-63.
*The refs sure didn’t do Cal Poly any favors. They called just 7 fouls against Omaha the entire game.
*C Don Seals scored 23 and pulled down 7 boards. SF Charles Gordon had 11 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists. And SG Terrell Alexander scored 10 points. No one else on the Mustangs scored more than 4 points, though. Seals, Gordon and Alexander have scored nearly 75% of the points scored by Cal Poly in the two games this season.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:04 pm

Ball State Cardinals (2-1) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (0-2)

Janeka Aura

Fred’s guys got off to a good start. They hit 6 of their first 8 shots and led 13-6 after 5 minutes of play. Aki Mosley was looking really good, hitting both of his FG attempts and dishing out 3 assists. But then they started lofting up shots from outside the arc that weren’t going down and the Cardinals came back to take a 17-16 lead with 12 minutes to go. I could tell Fred got on them during the media time out. That seemed to rally the team. They tightened their defense and tried getting the ball inside more resulting in a 34-24 Mustangs lead 7 minutes later. They then turned it up a notch higher to lead by 17 at 43-26 with 2 minutes to go. The half ended with Cal Poly on top 47-30.

Ball State scored the first 9 points in the 2nd half. Fred called a timeout to try to turn things around. The lead shrunk to 6 before the Mustangs finally began scoring. The team responded by going up by 15 with 13 minutes remaining. But the Cardinals wouldn’t die and trimmed the lead to 6 again. The Mustangs came back to go up by 13 only to see Ball State get within 6 at 71-65 with just over 3 minutes left. Then 30 seconds later the lead was just 5. But Charles Gordon made back-to-back baskets on the next 2 possessions to make it 76-67 with 1:47 on the clock. The Mustangs held on to come away with a 80-72 victory and send our fans home happy.

PG Aki Mosley finished with 16 points and 6 assists. PF Curtis Pearson, C Don Seals, and SG Terrell Alexander each scored 13 and SG Victor Carson had 11 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:40 pm

Fred Aura

Malik scored 27 for Georgetown tonight, his college career high. He’s now averaging 21 ppg thus far this season. I’d still like to see him taking higher percentage shots. But the Hoyas are struggling and other players really aren’t doing much scoring, so they need him pumping it up and putting points on the board. Malik was psyched, not only because he scored so many points, but the Hoyas were playing at the University of Utah and the Jazz had a scout at the game.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:04 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (1-2) @ Eastern Washington Eagles (0-3)

PF Terrence Worley (walkon freshman)

I sit so far down the bench that Coach Fed would need a megaphone to let me know he wanted to put me into a game. Not that I expect that to happen. Three games thus far and 3 “DNP”. I’m not complaining, mind you. Hell, I’m just happy to be getting a chance to practice with the team. I love basketball and it’s fun. I did OK in high school ball in Fresno, but not so good that I expected to get a scholarship offer anywhere. But I’m learning the offensive and defensive sets we use here and I compete in scrimmages against our starters and try to emulate our upcoming opponents. It’s a big time investment but so far I’m keeping up with my classes.

We got off to a crumby start and were down 12-5 at the first media timeout. Coach wasn’t happy and showed his concern. Things didn’t improve and by the 2nd media timeout we trailed 21-11. We weren’t hitting our shots and the Eagles were. Coach Fed chewed the team out. That seemed to get through and we tied the scored at 25-25 with 5:10 remaining when “Hawk” (PF Scott Torrey) sunk two free throws and took our first lead on the next possession when “Smiley” (SF Charles Gordon) had his shot blocked, recovered the ball and put it back into the hoop. We scored the next 4 points to go ahead 31-25. Eastern Washington came back but we still held a slim 37-35 lead at the end of the half. It was great to see three of our subs (Scott Torrey, Terrell Alexander, and Derrick LaLane) scored over half our points.

“T-Man” (Terrell Alexander) continued to hit shots in the early going of the 2nd half and we led 43-38 when the first media timeout came along. The refs were calling a lot of fouls and both coaches were on them. The adjustments Coach Fed made were paying off and we went ahead by 13 with 13 minutes to go. But Eastern Washington’s PG Travis Wallace was pouring in shots and hit back-to-back 3’s to get them within 7. The lead had shrunk to 3 when we got to the 8 minute media timeout. Things got really tense when the Eagles cut the lead to a single point. With 2:05 remaining, we led 70-66. But our guys were dragging and Coach Fed was running guys in and out to provide quick breathers. But the Eagles players were just as tired and couldn’t get off a shot on the possession after the timeout before the shot clock expired. Both teams then had turnovers and “Indy” (Derrick LaLane) slammed home a dunk on a breakaway to make it 72-66. It turned into a game of foul shots for us from thereon and we won it, 78-74.

Eastern Washington hit 13 of 29 of their 3’s with PG Travis Wallace tossing in 25 points, but we hit 51% of all our FG’s and held a 37-26 rebounding advantage. Leading our scoring were C Don Seals and SG Terrell Alexander with 16 points apiece. SG Vince Carson and PF Derrick LaLane both scored 11 and SF Charles Gordon had 9 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. All the players and the coaching staff were happy with pulling off the road win.

Ohyeah, you probably already guessed it, but I didn't get into the game.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Eugene Wallace, 2nd Assistant Coach (player development)

Player stats after just 4 games can be out of whack. But you can’t ignore them either. Our 3 primary interior players (Don Seals, Curtis Pearson, and Derrick LaLane) have all performed pretty well thus far. Seals has definitely been our best offensive producer and also our top rebounder. Pearson and LaLane are very similar and both are solid. It would be nice to have one more big guy we could run in for short periods and count on doing a good job. But maybe we do since Scott Torrey played very well for us in the 12 minutes he was on the floor in our last game. Charles Gordon has played well at SF, but we have yet to find anyone who can come in at the 3 when he tires. Victor Carson could do it very well since he played the 3 a lot last season, but we need Victor at the guard positions. He and Terrell Alexander have played well at SG with Victor also relieving Aki Mosley at PG. Aki has been a bit of a mystery this season. His offensive production is way off what he did for us last season. He’s scoring about half as many points because he’s shooting very poorly. He’s only hitting 29% of his FG’s (compared to 35% last season), 18% of his 3’s (compared to last season’s 29%), and 57% of his FT’s (compared to 84% last year). He’s had one good game (16 points) but 3 weak ones. I think something is bothering him, but he’s not opened up about what it may be.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:13 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (2-2) @ Southern Jaguars (0-4)

San Luis Obispo Tribune

MUSTANGS GET THEIR KICKS ON THE ROAD

Last night the Mustangs travelled to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to take on the Southern University Jaguars. The Jaguars were winless coming into the game, but had sustained all four losses on the road.

There were 11 lead changes early in the game, but midway through the first half the Mustangs began to draw away by making fewer mistakes than the Jaguars. They led 39-28 before letting Southern score the last 9 points in the first half, reducing their halftime lead to 39-37. Both teams were led by their point guards with Cal Poly’s Aki Mosley scoring 10 points while Southern’s Morgan Muckle put in 14 points.

The Mustangs hit their shots early in the 2nd half and were up by 10 with 15 minutes to play. As has been the case this season, Coach Aura was shuttling his primary 7 players in and out to conserve their energy and the Jaguars cut the lead to just 3 points at the midpoint of the 2nd half. With the refs calling almost all the fouls against his team, Coach Aura had a technical foul assessed against him with 6 minutes to go. His team rallied after that to lead 67-57 with 4 minutes remaining. Southern made another run cutting the lead to 5 points with 40 seconds remaining. But the Jaguars were then forced to foul allowing the Mustangs to walk off the court with a 74-68 victory.

C Don Seals had a big 2nd half and finished the game with 24 points and 9 rebounds. PG Aki Mosley scored 20 points and SF Charles Gordon had 11 points and 6 rebounds.

Coach Aura said, “That was a tough game. The two teams were evenly matched. We kept pulling ahead only to have Southern come back on us. But we were stubbornly able to keep them from getting ahead throughout the entire 2nd half even though it was very close at times. Southern’s Morgan Muckle burned us continually (he scored 23 points), but we didn’t allow any of their other players to break out. Don Seals had another big game for us and it was great to see Aki Mosley be so consistent and shoot so well tonight.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:35 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (3-2) @ Morehead State Eagles (2-2)

Rashon Richardson, 3rd Assistant Coach

Our 3rd straight road game tonight. Fortunately we won our previous two and hopefully this game will complete a road game 3-peat. Coach Aura has given me a lot of credit for the scouting I’ve done thus far, particularly since it helped us with those 2 games.

The Eagles have won both of their home games this season and looked particularly good against a good Davidson team. Morehead State hasn’t shot well (just under 40%) in their 4 games thus far, but they have 2 players averaging in double figures…C Mike Jessup at 15.8 ppg and SG Maynard Sharp with 12.3 ppg. Jessup scored 26 in their last game, so we need to double team him to keep him from breaking out. Their primary offensive set is the high post, but they play with a lot of offensive freedom. Defensively they like to use a 1-2-2 zone which could give us problems since they’ve done well defensively this year. I think Aki Mosley will match up very strongly against the Eagles’ PG Alvin Radford. Aki’s had an up and down season thus far, but hopefully he can put some big numbers on the board tonight. Their SG Maynard Sharp and C Mike Jessup are very strong defenders, so it could be tough for us to get much production at the “2” or “5” in this game. We play a shuffle offense a lot, so maybe we can counteract that to a degree.

Jessup came outside to pick up Aki Mosley on our first possession and picked up a foul, so that was good. We need to get him into foul trouble. We played well in the first half, hitting 50% of our shots, but the refs put the Eagles on the line 11 times to zero times for us. Because of that they scored 8 points on free throws which was difference since we trailed 44-37 at the break. I was wrong about who on our team would score…SG Victor Carson had 12 points and C Don Seals had 9 points. But for Morehead State, C Mike Jessup was as good as expected and scored 12 points. Their PG Alvin Radford outscored Aki Mosley 9-5.

3 minutes into the 2nd half we got to the foul line for the first time all night. Charles Gordon sunk both shots to cut the lead to 46-43. On our next possession, Aki Mosley canned a 3 to tie the game. Then Victor Carson intercepted a pass and sped down court for a layin to give us the lead. We then built a 7 point lead only to see Morehead State cut it to 3 with 1:31 to go. We missed a shot on our next possession, but played great defense to keep the Eagles from getting off a shot before the shot clock expired. We worked the clock down, but they intentionally fouled with 26 seconds left. Gordon sunk the first of a one-and-one but missed the 2nd. Morehead State called a time out with 23 seconds remaining. Carson picked off another pass and sprinted down and slammed it home. That put the game out of reach and we came away with a 79-73 win. We did it by hitting 51% of our FG’s and 11 of 19 of our 3’s…so we did a good job of breaking their defense.

SG Victor Carson finished with 24 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 big steals. SF Charles Gordon scored 17, PG Aki Mosley had 13 points and 8 assists, and C Don Seals scored 11.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:26 pm

C. J. Costa, 1st Assistant Coach (recruiting)

We picked up our 5th recruit this past week. SF Lamont Silva, a 6-6 JC player from Monrovia, CA called to let us know he had accepted our scholarship offer. He’s a pretty decent shooter both inside and out and a generally solid player overall. Last season he averaged 14.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.0 apg, 2.3 bpg, and 3.0 spg. Not likely a star (he’s the 1223rd ranked recruit), but could be a solid backup for us due to his 2 years JuCo experience.

During practice, SF Charles Gordon came down hard on the court and suffered a minor concussion. We’re going to keep a close eye on him the next 10 days to ensure he’s OK.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 am

Bradley Braves (1-3) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (4-2)

Benny Tamago, realtor (fan)

Bradley came out with guns blazing. They scored on each of their first 3 possessions to take a 7-0 lead. After 6 minutes the Mustangs trailed 22-4. Cal Poly finally began hitting their shots, but Bradley continued to score as well. By the end of the half, the Braves still held a solid lead at 43-34. Bradley hit 7 of 9 from 3 point distance.

Cal Poly began the 2nd half by going on a 10-2 run to cut the lead to a single point within the first 2-1/4 minutes. Then back-to-back 3’s by Aki Mosley and Don Seals put the Mustangs ahead for the first time at 54-51 with 13:24 remaining in the game. The Mustangs continued to pressure the Braves, forcing poor shots and turnovers, while Cal Poly took control of the boards. Their lead expanded to 66-53 with 9 minutes to go. With 6 minutes left the lead was up to 16 points as the Mustangs’ defense continued to dominate. Bradley hit a series of 3’s in the final few minutes but never seriously threatened. Cal Poly came away with a 78-71 victory to nail down their 5th straight win.

C Don Seals topped all scorers with 22 points. PG Aki Mosley scored 13 and PF Derrick LaLane dropped in 11 points and picked off 6 rebounds.

The Mustangs now have 5 players averaging in or very near double figures: Don Seals at 17.9 ppg, Charles Gordon at 12.3 ppg, Terrell Alexander at 10.7 ppg, Aki Mosley at 10.1 ppg, and Victor Carson at 9.7 ppg. Seals and Gordon are averaging 6.4 rpg and 6.1 rpg, respectively. Aki Mosley and Victor Carson are both averaging 4.4 apg.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports