The Marcus Dawson Story

Re: The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:32 am

[b]February 20, 2023
Jim Rome Show[/b]

Jim Rome: Welcome back to the Jungle! Joining me on this segment, we have a special guest joining us, none other than Coach Marcus Dawson of the #22 Wyoming Cowboys. Coach, welcome back to the show, and thanks for being here.

Coach Dawson: Thank you, Jim. A pleasure to be back on your show again.

Jim Rome: So, Coach, let's get started with the incredible success your team is having this season. Your Cowboys are sitting at an impressive 22-4 record. How does it feel to see your team perform at such a high level?

Coach Dawson: It's been an incredible journey, Jim. Our players have shown tremendous dedication, and resilience throughout the season. We've had some tough matchups, but they've stepped up and delivered time after time. I couldn't be prouder of their efforts.

Jim Rome: Absolutely, Coach. Now I have to bring up your matchup tonight against #19 Utah State in the Dome of Doom. What are your thoughts going into this high-stakes game?

Coach Dawson: Well, Jim playing at home in the Dome of Doom is always a thrilling experience. It's a venue that holds a special place for us in our hearts and brings out the best in our team. Our fans are the best in the nation and they've supported us all season. Utah State is a formidable opponent, one of our losses this season has been to them, but we're ready for the challenge. We know it's going to be a battle, and we're excited to give our fans a great effort.

Jim Rome: That's fantastic, Coach. Now, Coach Dawson, the NCAA Tournament is on the horizon. With your team's impressive record, it's clear that Wyoming is deserving of a spot. How important is it for your team to make it to the tournament, and how do you plan to secure that bid?

Coach Dawson: To be honest, at the beginning of the season, we were hoping for a post-season invite anywhere. But as the season has progressed, man here we are, beyond our wildest dreams. It's a goal of ours now to get to the NCAA Tournament, Jim. Our players have worked tirelessly to get to this point, and we believe we've put a body of work together that warrants an invitation to the Big Dance. But we still have plenty of games left to add to our resume. We need to continue playing at a high level, get a few more wins, and make a strong showing in the conference tournament. Our focus is taking it one game at a time, staying locked in, and showcasing our abilities on the court.

Jim Rome: Well, Coach, you and the Cowboys certainly have our support here in the Jungle. We'll be rooting for your journey to the NCAA Tournament. Best of luck the rest of the way. Let's talk again soon.

Coach Dawson: Thank you so much Jim. We appreciate the support, and we're committed to giving it our all. Go Pokes!
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:43 pm

February 21, 2023
Cowboys Complete Comeback and Upset #19 Utah State at Home, 92-86
Laramie Boomerang
Ryan Mathews

Laramie, Wyoming--In a classic Mountain West Conference basketball game, the Wyoming Cowboys rallied from an early deficit to secure a thrilling victory, 92-86. Utah State dominated the first half, leading the game until a late surge from Wyoming turned the tide. An impressive 19-4 run by the Cowboys allowed them to take a three-point lead into the intermission.
The Aggies began the game strongly, establishing a commanding 15-point lead midway through the first half with a score of 37-22. However, Wyoming found their rhythm and embarked on their run. The rest of the game unfolded as a back-and-forth affair, with both teams trading blows and neither team enjoying a lead larger than six points. With 6:54 left in the game, Utah State held a six-point advantage, leading 74-58.
The resilient Wyoming team remained undeterred and closed out the game with a final run of 24-12, mirroring their first-half comeback. Clifton Tahid emerged as the leading scorer for Wyoming with 18 points, while Robinson McFall provided crucial support off the bench, contributing 14 points, 10 of which came in the pivotal final minutes of the game. Marius Baxter and Paul rivers each added 13 points, with Sean Esherick scoring 10. Branden Moody displayed excellent playmaking skills, tallying eight points and six assists. Moody's highlight was an ally-oop pass to Rivers, culminating in a thunderous dunk that solidified the Cowboys' victory.
Despite the outstanding performance from Utah State's star player, Jason McNeil, who scored an impressive 33 points, including seven three-pointers, it was not enough for the Aggies to overcome Wyoming's late surge. The passionate fans at the Dome of Doom provided unwavering support to the Cowboys, who fed off the energy to secure the crucial conference win.
Coach Marcus Dawson, speaking after the intense game, acknowledged the impressive comeback effort from his team. He stated, "I am incredibly proud of our resilience and determination tonight. We faced adversity and responded in the best possible way. We showed great composure and executed well during crucial moments. The fans here in Laramie are the best, they were instrumental in motivating our guys to dig deep and secure the win. Who would want to let these great fans down?"
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:58 pm

February 22, 2023
PokePride.com
Cowboys Falter Inside The Pit

Albuquerque, New Mexico-- Four Lobos score in double-figures leading to an upset victory over #22 Wyoming 93-70. Led by Andre Miles' 16 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 6 steals, New Mexico only trailed Wyoming once at 6-4 before running away and hiding from the Cowboys. Marius Baxter led the Pokes with 16 points and 8 rebounds. Paul Rivers scored 13 and ripped down 6 rebounds.
The Cowboys had an uncharacteristic 18 turnovers, 6 more than their season average. They only shot 29% from behind the arc a full 11% below their season average.
"There will be games like this in a long season," Coach Dawson said. "We can't win them all, even though we've tried hard to do so all season. We'll get back home fix what needs to be fixed and be ready to go for our next game. Give credit to New Mexico, they played a nearly flawless game and we didn't. The Pit is just as tough on visitors as the Arena-Auditorium is, we can't just expect to come in here and win."
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:06 pm

February 27, 2023

@CowboyCountry--Cowboys rebound against UNLV, 74-61. Led wire to wire, defense reigns supreme. Baxter Player of Game! #DomeOfDoom #GoPokes #WyomingWins

@Laradice--@PRiversBaller-Great game! Huge minutes off bench to spark Pokes win. 9 points, 8 boards, 4 blocks. #Defense #CowboysWin
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:40 pm

March 1, 2023
Coach Dawson's Office on the Campus of the University of Wyoming
Laramie, Wyoming

Marcus: Wow, what a game tonight, Sarah! I can't believe how intense it was. The guys really fought hard and came out with a well-deserved win against a really good San Diego State team.

Sarah: Absolutely! It was such a nail-biter, especially in the first half when it was back and forth. But I'm thrilled you guys were able to clinch the regular season Mountain West Conference title.

Marcus: Yes! It's an amazing feeling to know the team achieved such an impressive feat. And perfect way to clinch it at home against the defending conference champion.

Sarah: Agreed! The team played with so much heart and determination, it's no surprise they've been so successful this season. I'm so proud of them, and I know you are too.

Marcus: They really did. It's incredible to see how this team has grown and developed over the course of the season. Paul played exceptionally well tonight, scoring 19 points, grabbing nine rebounds, and making some crucial blocks. He was a force to be reckoned with on both ends of the floor.

Sarah: Paul has played well all season for you. Clifton has too, he was on fire with his shooting tonight making three of four three-point shots and scoring 20 points, he really made a difference, especially making a couple right after San Diego State had scored to cut the lead to one or two. To answer those scores were so big. Brandon has recovered nicely from his injury to be a great playmaker this year.

Marcus: Definitely. And Marius, he may not have scored much tonight but his nine points were vital and came at key moments in the game. It seems like each night someone new comes to play a crucial role to help us win. One night it's Sean and Brandon, the next night it's Clifton and Marius, another night it's Robinson and Paul another night Fields comes off the bench to play well. It's quite amazing.

Sarah: I don't think it's all that amazing, this is the team you've built. You have them playing at a high level because they know you care about them and you've given them the tools and put them in positions to succeed. You've created a culture where none of them care who gets the credit, they just want to win.

Marcus: Thanks, Babe. It means a lot to hear that. Taking this coaching job here was absolutely the best decision for our family. I feel so grateful that we found a community that supports us and a team that continues to make us proud. And the crowd tonight, and every night, they were insane! They bring such amazing energy to the games, even if it means I'll need some Advil later.

Sarah: (Laughs) You're right about that. The Dome of Doom never disappoints. The atmosphere is electric every night, and it's so special to be a part of it. I was a little apprehensive about leaving our comfortable life in Montana, but I'm glad we made this move, too. It's been a perfect fit for our family, and I couldn't be happier for you and the team's success.

Marcus: You know I'm nothing without you standing beside me. We make a great team, just like our Cowboys out there on the floor. Let's get going home, I'm exhausted and we have another game to prepare for starting tomorrow.

Sarah: Absolutely. Let's get you home so you can get some sleep. I'm proud of you, I'm proud of the team and proud to be part of this incredible journey.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:09 am

March 2, 2023
Coach Dawson is in his office working on scouting for the conference tournament in Las Vegas in a week. Looking over the previous games that were played against potential opponents. Earning the number one seed has us playing the winner of New Mexico and UNLV, teams that do present some problems for us, UNLV has a home game in the Thomas and Mack Center and we lost to New Mexico in Albuquerque just a couple weeks ago, not sure who I would rather.....Coach Dawson's thought are interrupted with a phone call.

Coach Dawson: Hello, this is Coach Dawson.

Emily Thompson: Hi Coach, this is AD Thompson.

Coach Dawson: Oh, Hi Emily, how are things going for you?

Emily Thompson: I'm doing fantastic, especially after attending the game last night. Congratulations on an incredible victory and securing the Mountain West Conference regular-season championship and the number one seed in the conference tournament next week.

Coach Dawson: Thank you so much, Emily! You're presence and support at the game meant a lot to me and the team. It was an unforgettable moment for all of us. But we're not finished yet. We still have meaningful games to play.

Emily Thompson: It was my pleasure, Coach. The atmosphere was electric, and witnessing the team's hard work culminate in the first regular season conference title since the 2001-2002 season, it's been a long time!

Coach Dawson: I'm grateful for your kind words, Emily. The team put in a tremendous effort throughout the season, and I couldn't be prouder of their performance. They deserve all the accolades that come with this accomplishment.

Emily Thompson: Absolutely, Coach. They've worked so hard, and their dedication has paid off. The regular season conference championship is a testament to their talent, resilience, and your exceptional leadership. I'm proud to have you as our coach.

Coach Dawson: Thank you, Emily. Your belief in me and the team has been invaluable. This championship is a reflection of the collective support from our entire athletic department. We couldn't have done it without you and your help.

Emily Thompson: The credit goes to you and your team, Coach Dawson. You've fostered a culture of excellence and a winning mentality. And, you've done so in a short amount of time. I knew you were the right hire for this job. The players have shown tremendous growth under your guidance. I'm excited to see how far the team can go in the upcoming NCAA Tournament. Yes, I'm confident that you will get an invite to that regardless of what happens in the conference tournament.

Coach Dawson: We're grateful for your confidence in us, Emily. The MWC tournament is our next challenge, and we're ready to embrace it. With the number one seed, we have a great opportunity to make a deep run, but we also have a target on our back.

Emily Thompson: I have no doubt the team will give their all and represent Wyoming with pride. I need to get going to a conference call, I just wanted to congratulate you again on a great accomplishment and wish you good luck in the tournament.

Coach Dawson: Thank you, again. Have a great day, Emily.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:09 am

PokesPride.com
Double-Double By Baxter Leads Wyoming Past New Mexico and Into Semi-Finals

Las Vegas, Nevada-- The Wyoming Cowboys claimed a quarterfinal victory over New Mexico in the Mountain West Conference Tournament by the score of 70-56. The game opened with New Mexico briefly holding a 9-7 lead, but the Cowboys quickly erased the deficit. Marius Baxter showcased a stellar performance, notching a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds, leading the charger for the Pokes. Clifton Tahid contributed 13 points and Paul Rivers missed a double-double by one rebound with 10 points and nine rebounds. Branden Moody played a crucial role, scoring 12 points and distributing 5 assists.
As the contest progressed, the Cowboys steadily pulled away, building up a 58-36 lead with 7:05 left in the contest. Coach Dawson strategically played a deeper bench the rest of the way to rest the starters for their semi-final matchup with Boise State later tonight. The Broncos secured their quarterfinal victory over Colorado State 71-58. "I thought our guys played very well tonight. We were able to build a comfortable lead, at which point I wanted to get our main guys some rest. It's tough going back-to-back at this stage in the season, so getting them even a few extra minutes of rest can pay dividends down the stretch."
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:43 am

March 11, 2023
PokePride.com
Cowboys Punch Ticket to Conference Title Game with 69-56 Victory Over Boise State

Las Vegas, Nevada-- The 19th-ranked Wyoming Cowboys secured a hard-fought victory against Boise State 69-56, clinching a spot in the Mountain West Conference Title game later tonight against Utah State, who secured their own spot in the championship game by defeating Air Force 83-67.
Wyoming never trailed in the game, jumping out to an early 11-0 lead and never trailing. The Cowboys led by as many as 20 points at 43-23 late in the first half. Boise State was able to cut the lead down to as few as seven points at 52-45 with 6:22 left in the game, but the Cowboys closed strong to earn their berth in the championship game. Clifton Tahid had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds and Sean Esherick scored a team-high 14 points. Marius Baxter pitched in 12 as the third Cowboy in double-figures for the night.
Regardless of the outcome of the championship game tonight, both the Cowboys and Aggies should hear their names called on Selection Sunday based on their body of work put forth this season. Both team are ranked in the Top-20 and both boast NET rankings in the teens with the Cowboys at 11 and the Aggies at 14. The Mountain West could very well end up with four berths to the NCAA Tournament with San Diego State and Boise State both hearing their names called as well. Only time will tell.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:57 am

March 11, 2023
PokePride.com
Brandon Palmer Single-Handedly Defeats Pokes in Championship Game

Las Vegas, Nevada--Brandon Palmer was a one-man wrecking crew against Wyoming last night in the Mountain West Championship Game. Utah State led the game from beginning to end leading by as many as 17 points. Wyoming was able to close the gap to 75-68 with 3:02 left in the game but Utah State closed on a 9-3 run to end the game and earn the Mountain West Conference's automatic berth to the NCAA tournament.
Each time Wyoming would go on a run to close the gap it was Brandon Palmer that would end the threat. Palmer hit two threes early in the second half after Wyoming had cut the lead to 42-38 to stretch the lead back to 48-38. Wyoming never threatened again until 3:00 left but even that was too little too late. Palmer hit four free throws down the stretch and finished the game with 26 points to lead all scorers.
Robinson McFall had a nice game off the bench for the Cowboys as their leading scorer with 16 points. Only two other Pokes managed double figures, both Clifton Tahid and Marius Baxter scored 11. Paul Rivers ripped down 14 rebounds and scored five points in the losing cause.
"I hate losing championship games," comments Coach Dawson after the game. "I've lost a few and this one hurts just as much as all the others. The only difference between those losses and this one is that we still have more basketball to play; the other ones were losses to end the season."
We'll have to wait to see who the Cowboys will play, but they will get at least one more game. Stay tuned...
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:55 am

Sunday, March 12, 2023
Selection Sunday
Cowboys Selection Sunday Watch Party at the Arena-Auditorium

Laramie, Wyoming--
The Arena-Auditorium is a buzz as Emily Thompson announces the coaches and team members of the regular season Mountain West Conference Champions and conference tournament runner-up Cowboys.
The anticipation inside the Arena-Auditorium was palpable, an electric buzz coursing through the air as fans, cheerleaders, coaching staff, and players congregated to watch the brackets released. CBS Selection Show was playing on the Jumbo Tron at the west end of the arena and a national feed camera was focused on Coach Dawson and his Cowboys as they sat impatiently awaiting their fate.
San Diego State was the first team to secure their spot, drawing a 5-seed in the Pittsburgh Region, followed by Utah State claiming a 3-seed in the Lexington Region. The cheers echoed as the Mountain West already had two top 5-seeds in the tournament and they could feel that their own Cowboys would also get a top 5-seed in either Dallas or Phoenix.
Conversations swirled among the Wyoming coaching staff and players, a mix of anticipation and speculation rampant as they awaited their seeding and matchup. Marcus Dawson, shared a few words with his wife Sarah, their eyes reflecting a blend of hope and curiosity.
"We've got a good shot, Sarah. Utah State's a 3-seed, so we're likely looking at a 4 or 5," Marcus remarked, trying to contain his excitement.
"Yeah, it's nerve-wracking, but I believe in our team," Sarah replied with a reassuring smile.
Marcus and Sarah's conversation was interrupted by AD Emily Thomson. "Coach, CBS would like to interview you right after the commercial break, we need to get you ready to go."
"Ok, sounds good. I'll talk to you later, Babe."

Greg Gumbel: Coach Dawson, it's a pleasure to have you here before the big moment. Your team's performance this season has been stellar. How are you feeling about the possibility of making it to the tournament as a rookie head coach?

Marcus Dawson: Thank you, Greg, it's an exciting time for us. The team has put in an incredible amount of effort this season, and they truly deserve this opportunity. We've faced tough opponents and shown our metal, so we're hopeful for a spot, with San Diego State getting in, we feel very confident.

Jay Wright: Your team finished with an impressive 27-6 record. What do you believe sets this group apart?

Marcus Dawson: Absolutely, this team's work ethic and commitment are unmatched. They've demonstrated tremendous growth throughout the season. Our camaraderie and dedication to our game plan have been our strength all season.

Clark Kellogg: Coach, we have to get back to the last regional, where I'm sure your name will be called. Can we talk after we release that bracket?

Marcus Dawson: For sure. We'll talk soon.

Greg Gumbel: Now let's get back to the release of the final bracket, the Phoenix Regional. In Games played in Denver, Colorado, the 1-seed is Alabama and they will play the winner of the play-in game. Wake Forest the 8-seed will play 9-seed Boise State. (an eruption from the Arena-Auditorium in Laramie was deafening, the Cowboys knew they were in, just a matter of where, what seed, and who?) In games played in Los Angeles, California, 2-seed Connecticut will play 15-seed Alcorn State and 7-seed Texas Tech will play 10-seed Mississippi. In games played in Lincoln, Nebraska, 6-seed Marquette will play 11-seed Houston and 3-seed Gonzaga will play 14-seed Hawaii. That leaves one pod left to be announced. Let's get to it, in games to be played in Tulsa, Oklahoma 5-seed Ohio State will play 12-seed Hofstra and 4-seed Wyoming...........

The crowd in the Arena-Auditorium went crazy and nobody heard who the Cowboys were playing and it didn't matter. Coach Dawson was mobbed by his players and everyone was hugging and high-fiving each other. Emily Thomson with tears crawling down her face pulled Marcus aside once again and told him he needed to go and finish his interview with CBS.

Jay Wright: Welcome back to Coach Dawson and congratulations. How does it feel to earn a 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and get to play in the Phoenix regional?

Coach Dawson: (huge smile plastered on his face) It's an honor to be recognized with a 4-seed. The credit goes to our players' effort and commitment day in and day out. This seed is a testament to their dedication and the hard-fought battles we've had this season. It's kind of scary, we have to live up to that seed, so we'll have to bring our best effort.

Seth Davis: Any thoughts on your first matchup against Portland State?

Marcus Dawson: Portland State is a well-coached team with talent. Every team in this tournament deserves respect, and we'll approach this game just like every other game this season, with focus and determination. We'll be ready to bring our A-game.

Greg Gumbel: Finally Coach, how do you feel about the Mountain West Conference earning four bids to the tournament this year?

Coach Dawson: The Mountain West Conference has proven its competitiveness time and again. We're proud to represent our conference, and we're excited to see the conference's teams showcase their abilities on the national stage.

Greg Gumbel: Thanks Coach and good luck.
coachdubs

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports