Started From The Bottom, Now We're Here

Started From The Bottom, Now We're Here

Postby 3manweave » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:41 pm

MAY 20TH, 2018: "Jones! Let's go, your ride is here to pick you up."

The guard had come to my cell, barking at me to get out of bed. Today was the last day of my four-month prison sentence, and I was ready to get the hell out of here. Long story short, I landed here because I had one too many (okay, well, a few too many) glasses of wine after a dinner party. I hit a bicyclist in an intersection after nearly running a red light, and picked up a DUI conviction in the process.

It was all over the local news. "Esteemed basketball coach gets DUI, Goes to Prison". I was also going through a divorce at the time, and that pretty much sealed the deal for my ex getting most of my stuff. The bicycle rider was okay, but I lost nearly all of my retirement and savings paying his medical bills. Originally, I was supposed to serve six months, but got out in just over four thanks to 'good behavior'.

Jeremy, my brother, picked me up at the entrance. "Where to, little bro? You hungry?"

He was three years older than me, and like me, was a basketball coach. He was an assistant at Wayne State, a Division II university in Detroit.

"I feel like getting a big, juicy cheeseburger," I said. "It's been a while since I've had anything other than prison kitchen fare."

-----

"It's time to talk about what you're going to do next," said Jeremy on the drive down I-75. "Look, I just got offered a job at VCU, and I can talk to coach..." I cut him off.

"I don't want to be a charity case." *pause* "What would I even be doing? Isn't your staff already full?"

"You're a talented coach, Jason. You just need a fresh start, to get away from the area," he said. "There wouldn't be any strings attached. I've already talked to the head coach, and while you'd be starting at the ground floor doing video work, it's the only way to get you back on your feet."

*long pause*

"Besides, you helped me out all those years ago, pulling me out of our house when it was burning down. I owe you, big time."

"And if I don't take it? I don't get a choice in the matter?"

"It's too late. I've already told him you're taking the job."

Well, I guess that settles it...

"Fair enough. I guess that means I have to get my affairs in order back in Detroit."

COACH JASON JONES
Experience: 0-0 (.000)
Contract: $22,000 / 2 years
Ambition: Very High
Academics: High
Discipline: Average
Temper: Average
Integrity: Average
Job Security: 100%
Offense: 40%
Defense: 30%
Scouting: 25%
Development: 40%
Recruiting: 15%
3manweave

Re: Started From The Bottom, Now We're Here

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Oops, I just got ex-conned into reading a new dynasty thread! :p

Good start. No cheeseburgers huh? Guess you weren't in one of the executive pens. Looking forward to your resurrection.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Ddevore65 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Nice background story and looking forward to the redemption Coach
Ddevore65

Postby 3manweave » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:25 pm

PointGuard wrote:Oops, I just got ex-conned into reading a new dynasty thread! :p

Good start. No cheeseburgers huh? Guess you weren't in one of the executive pens. Looking forward to your resurrection.

Only fish sticks and frozen peas for this guy!
3manweave

The First Day

Postby 3manweave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:59 pm

JUNE 25TH, 2018: I accepted a position with Virginia Commonwealth as a non-coaching assistant, handling video production, practice, the recruiting budget, and coordinating travel. Essentially, I was a glorified administrative assistant. I would still get to sit on the sideline, but it was a far cry from the halcyon days of actually running my own program.

Still, the digs were pretty nice -- I had my own office, and my salary is roughly 25% more than I had as a high school head coach. Plus, I'd be working with my brother for the first time -- it's always something I'd wanted to do.

Jeremy set me up with his real estate agent, who found me a house to rent in Mechanicsville. I've never lived anywhere other than Michigan, though. Grew up a Michigan fan (Go Blue!), eventually became an alum, attending many a game at both the Big House and Crisler Center in my high school and college years.

I met my ex-wife at UM; was a Tri-Beta. We didn't have any kids (thankfully!), but had a pretty nice house and some joint possessions that we sparred over. We...just weren't meant to be in the end. She's already moved on anyway. His name's Kirk. Good dude.

*knock knock* It was Jeremy.

"Hey. We're getting ready to meet with the team. See you in five."
3manweave

Roster Preview

Postby 3manweave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 pm

2018-19 TEAM ROSTER
01 G John Jones 6-1 190 Soph.
03 C Justin Spitler 6-9 245 Senior*
04 G James Martin 6-5 200 Fr.
11 G Adam Brownlee 6-3 200 Soph.
14 G Jaron Hemhill 6-3 195 Soph.
20 G Walter Goolsby 6-3 190 Fr.
21 G Mike Kincaide 6-2 190 Junior+
25 G Tommy Jones 6-3 185 Fr.
31 F Dekker Wadley 6-5 220 Senior
32 F Anthony Jackson 6-8 200 Junior
40 F Jason McConnell 6-6 207 Fr.
41 C Ryan Dudley 6-8 250 Junior
43 F James Anyan 6-7 232 Soph.
44 F Joel Stallworth 6-6 215 Fr.
45 F Frank Temple 6-8 195 Soph.

Based on personnel, we're likely going to run 75% 5-out/25% shuffle offensively. Defensively, besides man-to-man, Coach Rhoades wants to run a 1-3-1 zone mixed in with a 2-2-1 press set.

We have just one returning starter, Justin Spitler (marked with an *). Mike Kincaide is a junior college guy who will probably not log serious minutes, at least this season. We signed a five-man freshman group, and we think that as many as three of them could see significant PT.

Jaron Hemhill was the first guard off the bench last year, and figures to run the point as a sophomore. After that, though, there is a lot of uncertainty. Early on, the rotation will probably go 10-11 deep to figure out who our top seven or eight guys are.
3manweave

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports