Climbing the Ladder

Climbing the Ladder

Postby SouthernRebel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Starting a new dynasty, so I thought I would do a report.
settings: inj 200% job pressure high recruiting difficulty hard (subject to change)
Promotion/relegation
prevent underclassmen from declaring

coach Ricky Freeman 32 years old
rookie
ambition high
academics avg
discipline avg
temper avg
integrity very high

planning on running mostly princeton and some triangle with avg offensive pace and avg balance for now. On def avg intensity. Running man 2 man with some 2-3 zone. only a small amount of full court man 2 man
SouthernRebel

Re: Climbing the Ladder

Postby SouthernRebel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:55 pm

I have been coaching high school basketball at a small school here outside Baltimore since I got out of college. I enjoyed it much. I was successful and comfortable but my goal was a big time college program. So I was very pleased when approached by the AD at Maryland eastern Shore. He offered me the head coaching job of the Hawks.I accepted as that put me a step closer to my dream.

Maryland E-shore is in Princess Anne, Md. They havent had much success in basketball. They have a .289 winning pct. They have managed to win one conf. championship. They have 1 NIT appearance and 1 CIT trip. They are currently stuck at the bottom in V conf. I hope to change that.

On paper we dont look very talented. Our highest rated players are 2 and a half stars. But it aint all about talent. We will see how much heart these kids have.

We have one verbal agreement. Suprisingly from a kid all the way out of Little Rock, AR. He has a 2 star rating. Looks like a good shooter and rebounder but bad on defense.
Last edited by SouthernRebel on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernRebel

Postby SouthernRebel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:21 pm

We have a tough job but my bosses only asked me to stay out of last place.

My starting lineup for now:

Kevin Brittian PG SR 6'0" 2.5*
Bevon Gray SG SO 6'1" 2.5*
T.J. Alexander SF FR 6'8" 2*
Juan Miller PF JR 6'6" 1.5*
Lamont Butler C JR 6'8" 1.5*

We start our season with 2 road games against teams in Florida: Central Florida from G conf. then Florida Gulf Coast in P Conf.
SouthernRebel

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Welcome to the Dynasty boards. Go Hawks!

Good luck, particularly against a G Conf opponent on the road.

BTW...the 200% injury level applies to the AI teams as well as yours so even though you may see some injuries everyone else will be also.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby SouthernRebel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 pm

UMES @ Central Florida Knights

The game went better than expected. We lead at halftime 33-30. We held them to 29% shooting the first half. But they took the lead and never looked back in the second half. They beat us 69-56.

We only shot 36% but held them to 34%. 3 pt shooting might be a concern as we hit 2 of 12. Ft shooting was also bad. We hit 10 out of 21. On def we only managed 2 stls and 4 blks.

Center position played surprisingly well. Butler our starting center had 15 points and 6 reb. Guinn our backup center got 10 points in 16 minutes. He also hit 1 of our 2 3pt shots.

TJ Alexander our SF led the team in rebounds (7) and assists (4)
Last edited by SouthernRebel on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SouthernRebel

Postby SouthernRebel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:10 pm

PointGuard wrote:BTW...the 200% injury level applies to the AI teams as well as yours so even though you may see some injuries everyone else will be also.

yeah I am going to try it. I like a realistic number of injuries, so I will see how it goes. If I feel it is too much, I will tone it down
SouthernRebel

Postby SouthernRebel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:53 am

ÙMES @ Florida Gulf Coast Eagles

bad game. We were completely outplayed. Turnovers at the start killed us as they jumped out to a 14-0 lead. By half time they led 52-27. We played a little better the second half but they still out scored us. They won 98-60. They shot 60%. They had a guard JJ Wallace who tore us up. he was 15 for 21 and 5 for 8 on 3s. He scored 35 points. We tried double teaming him the second half and slowed him down some
Shooting continues to be a concern. We shot 37% and and only 30% on free throws. I think our center learned to shoot fts watching Shaq.
They outrebounded us also. I am going to crash the def boards more next game and up our def intensity. I decided to start William Quinn at center next game. He is shooting 71% and leads the team in scoring even though he has played only 16 minutes a game Compared to Butler's 35%.

Anothef tough game ahead. Indiana State from conf I. But at least its a home game. Then another road game against conf J Montana.

Darnell Mims the kid from Little Rock signs the LOI. We have one more scholarship to fill
Last edited by SouthernRebel on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernRebel

Postby SouthernRebel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Indiana State Sycamores @ UMES Nov 22, 2019

It's good to play our first home game. We lose 96-86 but many positives came out of it. We played much better. We shot 53% and 45% on 3s. Fts was much improved at 65%. We actually out rebounded the Sycamores 31-29. We had more TOs than Ind St. but we had less than the first 2 games.
Willian Quinn who started at center for the first time led with 18 points. He had 4 rebs. Alexander our SF had 15 pts 6 rebs. Gray SG 13 pts 5 asts. Brittian our PG had 13 pts, 6 asts and 4 rebs.
All in all I am pleased with the progress we have made.
Last edited by SouthernRebel on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SouthernRebel

Postby SouthernRebel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Here is the rest of our non conf schedule:
Nov 25 @ Montana J conf
Nov 29 Hawaii K
Dec 2 @ Dayton C
Dec 6 Nicholls St. T
Dec 13 American N
Dec 20 Princeton J
Dec 37 @ Robert Morris O
Jan 3 Troy O

a tough schedule but 5 of the remaining are home games. I am not expecting many wins before conf play
SouthernRebel

Postby SouthernRebel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pm

UMES Hawks 0-3 @ Montana Grizzlies 0-2 Nov 25, 2019

We lose 82-70 but this was our best game. At halftime we led 45-42.We led most of the game and it was close most of the time. I am encouraged as we seem to be improving quickly.

We shot well and outrebounded them but had too many turnovers (15 to their 7)

Gray SG had 14 pts. Guinn had 10 pts and 10 rebs. Brittian added 10 pts, 4 asts.
SouthernRebel

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports