Somewhere in America

Re: Somewhere in America

Postby Serafino74 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Another very difficult game follows, closing the series of four away games. Opponent? Seton Hall(prestige 60) from the Big East Conference(prestige 70), and the prediction give us 23% to win this.........

But here let me say that I am very excited to be visiting Seton Hall, and I will immediately explain why.
Before 1980, basketball in Greece was little known as a sport and people showed very little interest. In the early 1980s, however, a Greek-American player decided to come and play in Greece at the proposal of the team that won the Greek championship last year. This player changed the history of basketball in Greece and the country gained a tradition in the sport, a tradition that lasts to this day. His name is Nick Galis.

He was the one who introduced me to basketball, young then I was enchanted by him and I entered the world of this very beautiful sport, which I finally fell in love with. Since then I have been learning the history of the game, the European but mainly the American basketball, the birthplace of the sport

Galis was born in Union City, New Jersey. The child of a poor immigrant family, from the Greek islands of Rhodes and Nisyros, Galis took up boxing in his early years, after his father, George Georgalis, who had also been a boxer in his youth. He was later persuaded to give up boxing by his mother, Stella Georgalis, who was terrified after each time that her son would return home from boxing training with a new facial injury. As a result, Galis started playing the sport of basketball instead of boxing. He attended Union Hill High School, in Union City, where he also played high school basketball.

After high school, Galis enrolled at Seton Hall University, where he played college basketball as a member of the Seton Hall Pirates. In his senior season, Galis saw his scoring average reach 27.5 points per game, which was third in the nation! Ιn his senior year of college, Galis won the Haggerty Award (the New York City metro area's best player award), and the Eastern College Athletic Conference Player of the Year award. The same year, he also played in the Pizza Hut All-American game, alongside Larry Bird and Vinnie Johnson. The head coach at Seton Hall, Billy Raftery, would later state that Galis was the best player he ever coached. Galis inducted into the Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame, in 1991.
After finishing his collegiate career in 1979, Galis signed with agent Bill Manon, who also managed Diana Ross. Manon did not have Galis work out with any NBA team. Galis was eventually selected by the Boston Celtics in the 4th round of the 1979 NBA Draft, 68th overall. Due to a severe ankle injury that suffered during the Celtics preseason training camp of the 1979–80 season, the franchise was no longer interested in offering him a contract because Gerald Henderson had taken his place on the team, and his injury would keep him out for the foreseeable future.

Galis then decided to pursue a professional career in Greece's top-tier level Basket League. Later, while still playing in Greece, he would be offered NBA contracts by the Celtics and the New Jersey Nets. However, he turned the offers down!

On 20 November 1983, while playing in an exhibition game at the Demetria Tournament '83, with the senior Greek national basketball team, against the North Carolina Tar Heels, at Alexandreio Melathron, while being guarded by North Carolina's shooting guard, Michael Jordan, scored 24 points during the game.

Galis next led the Greek national team to the EuroBasket 1987 gold medal. Averaging 37.0 points per game during the tournament, he was named the MVP of the tournament, after scoring 40 points in the final against the Soviet Union national basketball team and its legendary player, Šarūnas Marčiulionis, for a 103–101 victory. Also led Greece to the second place at the EuroBasket 1989, averaging 35.6 points per game. Galis is most remembered from that tournament, for a stunning effort against the Soviet team led by Marčiulionis, and its other star player, Arvydas Sabonis, in the semifinal game. He scored 45 out of his team's 81 total points in a dramatic, last-gasp 81–80 victory.

He was not very tall, only 6 feet, yet he was strong, a fighter, and was able to score in many different ways - distance did not matter. He was recently inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and was in FIBA’s first Hall of Fame class in 2007. He surely deserves it!

"If I'm the devil's son, then Galis is the devil himself.", Dražen Petrović
"I never thought that there was such a good offensive player in Europe, and especially in Greece.", Michael Jordan
"There is only one way I can think of to stop Nikos from scoring! Lock him up in the hotel!", Roud Harevain, Maccabi Tel-Aviv head coach
"I had given specific instructions on how to defend against the other 4 players. As for Nikos, we just had to sit down and pray!", Vojcek Kricovski, CSKA Moscow coach.
"Although Drazen (i.e. Petrović) is my brother, for the best athlete of 1987, I voted for Galis."', Aco Petrović
Serafino74

Postby Serafino74 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:12 pm

The story of Nick Galis is probably well known to the current players of Seton Hall, so the fact that I was Greek motivated them, and they did not find it difficult at all to embarrass us (52-91). It is now clear that we play basketball while we can not put the ball in the basket ....... 15-53 field goals (28.3%), 21 turnovers, we received 12 blocks and all the team managed to give 10 assists... Disaster, four consecutive defeats!
We look like kids trying to beat men!
Serafino74

Postby Serafino74 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 am

After four away games and an equal number of defeats, we return to Mississippi to welcome the Bisons(prestige 26) coming from far, far away, from North Dakota.
They have also made a bad start to the season with a record of 2-6, they also have a problem in the position of point guard, but beyond that they have a good roster. At halftime we are finally shooting normally for the first time in a long time, I did not use either of the two natural point guards for a minute, the opponent point guard fell to 7 turnovers and we have a difference that comes close to double digits. I do not think we will win easily and I look forward to how the game will develop in the second half!

The second half was a beautiful dream. I could not believe my eyes, we made the best appearance since the beginning of the season and we defeated them very comfortably 90-64. We broke almost all the records we had recorded until now, we had four players with double-digit points, first and best the madman Reggie Horwath that was left with 19 points, 3 assists and 3 steals. The other shooting guard Andy Williams had 15 points, Chris Simmons (SF 3.5) had 14 and 3 steals and PF Jason Barrett had 12!! Let's go celebrate at ''The Old Country Store Restaurant'', drinks on me!!
Serafino74

Postby Serafino74 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:20 pm

The nine non-conference games conclude with a trip to New Jersey. To tell the truth, I still did not understand the meaning of non-conferencing games, how they affect and if they are counted in the final standings, and I did not find anything enlightening on wikipedia (but without feeling that I have searched as much as I should).
In New Jersey we will face the NJIT Highlanders, formerly the New Jersey Tech Highlanders, a team equivalent to us and the game prediction and everything else shows that there will be a battle. And indeed the first half was a real battle with all its features. I really enjoyed the game, I was really enchanted. Draft Day Sports Basketball is a great game!!
In the second half we went point by point, no one could build a difference of more than four points and finally we won 70-69 after they missed a three-pointer at the end of the game. it was an awesome experience, all the guys were very happy to feel the magic of basketball !! We spent several hours in Liberty State Park after the game discussing the games that follow. Everyone believes that we will easily avoid the last position of the conference, which is the goal set by the administration. We finished the non-conference with record 4-5!
Serafino74

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:55 am

I really enjoyed the Nick Galis story. I hadn't known about him.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Serafino74 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:13 pm

At that time, because of Nick Galis, grandparents started watching basketball passionately without knowing either the rules or anything about the game. Some journalists then wrote that those who made money from basketball in Greece after the Galis explosion (and there were too many of them) should pay ''Galo-simo'', a fee to him for every dollar they make, haha!
Serafino74

Postby Serafino74 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Finally we have before us the premiere of our conference championship, and the opponent could be characterized as ideal, the Arkansas-Pine Bluff has a prestige of 8, comes from a series of 7 defeats with a total record of 1-8. But sometimes these situations turn out to be much more complicated than they seem, and that we have to win is stressful. But we play at home and the fans comes with a positive aura from our two consecutive victories. Let's see what we will see.........
They started with a good percentage in the three-pointers while we did not find solutions against the 3-2 zone that they often tried in defense. We lost by 7 points (8-15) until Jason Barrett, the power forward who does not start, entered the game and scored 11 points in 5 minutes, something that none of our players had achieved so far. We took the lead in the score and reached 43-30 at halftime. The team seems to be starting to roll and I feel like I'm getting better and helping the team more with my changes in the game. The roles of the players are more visible now, and I feel that I know who may help the team, in which part of the game and when...

In the second half we increased the difference close to 20 points from the beginning and we were not threatened at all until the end, finally winning 76-60. Everything seems ideal at the moment and maybe we should redefine our goals and looking higher, but I do not rest or dream big because in basketball things they change at regular basis. Jason Barrett scored 18 with 5 rebounds but the player of the game was the other PF Travis Day with a double double(the second double double that one of our players manages in the season) with 14 points and 11 rebounds! I start to show confidence again to one of the two point guards, Jenkins(PG 1.0 / 3.5) by giving him playing time . Madman Reggie Horwath had the quietest game until now with only 2 points.

Serafino74

Postby Serafino74 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:46 pm

The second game is ahead and we have to travel to the Alabama to face the Hornets, a team that is third in the conference rank, won the first game for the conference and has an overall record of 7-3. Definitely a difficult game, we are a clear underdog!

Meanwhile Alabama is spending $1 million to preserve the remnants of the last slave ship known to have landed in the United States more than 150 years ago. The schooner named the Clotilda was sailed to West Africa in 1860 after a wealthy businessman wagered he could bring a shipload of people from Africa to the United States in defiance of laws against slave importation. The ship was burned in a bayou in 1860 to hide evidence of the crime.

But let's get back at the game!

From their roster I understood that a miracle must be done to beat this team away from home. Although they started nervously I knew that what was at stake was the height of the difference, not to break us up and spoil our psychology. But the half ended with a score of 19-40, with rebounds at 14-27 while we shot 6/24 with 2/9 three-pointers and 3/9 free throws, and I do not see how this picture can change in the second half.

In the second half we were not so bad, we played better defense and at some point we reduced the difference to 10 points. In the end we lost 52-68, the pain of the first half became a little lighter but the fact is that we are still far from the point where we will claim wins against the 3-4 best teams in the conference. Adrian Williams had 4/5 three-pointers, the best record in the team so far.
Serafino74

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:16 pm

Serafino74 wrote:The nine non-conference games conclude with a trip to New Jersey. To tell the truth, I still did not understand the meaning of non-conferencing games, how they affect and if they are counted in the final standings, and I did not find anything enlightening on wikipedia (but without feeling that I have searched as much as I should).
In New Jersey we will face the NJIT Highlanders, formerly the New Jersey Tech Highlanders, a team equivalent to us and the game prediction and everything else shows that there will be a battle. And indeed the first half was a real battle with all its features. I really enjoyed the game, I was really enchanted. Draft Day Sports Basketball is a great game!!
In the second half we went point by point, no one could build a difference of more than four points and finally we won 70-69 after they missed a three-pointer at the end of the game. it was an awesome experience, all the guys were very happy to feel the magic of basketball !! We spent several hours in Liberty State Park after the game discussing the games that follow. Everyone believes that we will easily avoid the last position of the conference, which is the goal set by the administration. We finished the non-conference with record 4-5!

Conference games are against teams in your conference. They are the only ones that count in the conference standings. Non-conference games are extra games. They count in your overall record and have influence on whether you will be invited to tournaments but they do NOT count in the Standings.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Serafino74 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 am

Thanx man, I had to clarify this!
Serafino74

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports