READY FOR PRIME TIME?

Re: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 am

Article on the online portal for “COLLEGE BASKETBALL”

THE FIVE MUSKETEERS

Six years ago the NCAA reorganized into 22 conferences of 16 teams each. After each season within each conference the four teams with the best record are promoted to the next higher conference and the four teams with the worst records are relegated to the next lower conference. Additionally 6 independent teams play 15 games against Division I opponents with the team with the best record in those games being moved up into the lowest prestige conference to supplant the team with the worst record which drops down into Independent status.

In that initial season new coaches were hired at 5 of those initial Independent teams. None of these coaches had prior head coaching experience in Division I basketball. These five coaches became known as The Five Musketeers. Ken Yamoto was hired at Tarleton State, Mike McMillan became the new coach for MD-Eastern Shore, Ramon Martinez was the new head coach at Alcorn State, Terry Morillo was brought aboard by Dixie State, and Dontell Spencer took over the reins at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

During the succeeding six seasons these five head coaches have grown close…to a degree where the term “Five Musketeers” apply fits. While occasionally their teams compete on the court, the five coaches are supportive of each other and communicate frequently. “Sometimes it feels like we’re true brothers,” said Ramon Montez. “We get together in the off-season and have a great time together.” Ken Yamoto added, “I’ve learned a lot from each of the other four guys. We bounce ideas and suggestions off each other. Since we all came into our head coaching jobs with different strengths and weaknesses, this has really helped round each of us out and become better coaches.”

Things weren’t each for the five during their early years as head coaches. Their teams were initially very weak, win-loss records weren’t impressive, and getting out of Independent status was a huge challenge. The teams of three of the coaches were promoted into Division I after the first three seasons. The first to make the jump to Conference V was Ramon Montez at Alcorn State for the 2031-32 season. Then in the 2032-33 season Mike McMillan got his MD-Eastern Shore squad into Division I. The next season (2033-34) saw Dontell Spencer and his Arkansas-Pine Bluff move from being an Independent to becoming part of Conference V. That left Ken Yamoto and Terry Morillo still out of Division I and mired in the depths as Independents.

“When we got together right after the conclusion of the 2032-33 season, Ken and I were strongly encouraged by Dontell, Ramon and Mike to see what jobs at other schools were coming available and to jump ship,” said Terry Morillo. Dontell Spencer added, “Yeah we could see that the administrations at Dixie State and Tarleton State just weren’t supportive enough of their basketball programs that Terry and Ken were likely to be able to get their teams promoted in the foreseeable future. And that’s been confirmed by the fact that both those teams have continued to be unsuccessful the past 3 seasons as well. So it was good that Ken left Tarleton State and got hired by UC-San Diego and Ken went from Dixie State to Western Illinois.” The validity of those statements is that both Yamoto and Morillo have been able to develop rather moribund basketball programs at UC-San Diego and Western Illinois into successful ones in the space of 3 seasons.

Arguably Dontell Spencer could be viewed as the most successful of the five. But let’s look at how each of the Five Musketeers has done in their 6 years since first getting hired:

Dontell Spencer, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Overall Record: 96-51 (.653); Season records: 6-10, 9-7, 11-8, 25-6, 24-10, 21-10. 4 NIT and 1 NCAA appearances In the past 4 seasons with advancement to the Semifinals one year and to the Championship game another year in the NIT, and ranked in Top 25 one season, 4 promotions to higher conferences.

Ramon Montez, Alcorn State, Overall Record: 101-66 (.605); Season records: 8-7, 14-14, 14-16, 18-14, 24-7, 23-8. 1 CIT and 1 NCAA appearance, and 4 promotions to higher conferences.

Mike McMillan, MD-Eastern Shore Hawks, Overall Record: 79-69 (.534); Season records: 8-7, 6-9, 12-17, 12-17, 20-9, 21-10. 1 NIT and 1 NCAA appearances, 3 promotions to higher conferences.

Ken Yamoto, UC-San Diego, Overall Record: 56-75 (.427); Season records: 3-12, 2-13, 6-9 at Tarleton State and 10-17, 15-13, 20-11 at UC-San Diego. 1 CBI appearance, 1 promotion to a higher conference.

Terry Morillo, Western Illinois, Overall Record: 59-73 (.447); Season records: 4-11, 7-8, 4-11 at Dixie State and 13-16, 15-15, 16-12 at Western Illinois. 1 promotion to a higher conference.

This past season the Five Musketeers’ teams combined for 100 wins and just 52 losses and all 5 got their teams promoted to the next higher conference. Coaches Yamoto, Montez and McMillan were named their individual conference’s Coach of the Year. Ramon Montez said, “Great season by all 5 teams! The five of us are going to party when we get together in early May. Then it’s on to preparing for even better records next year.”
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Thu May 12, 2022 3:49 am

2036-2037 SEASON

Conference Changes due to Promotion/Relegation

Michigan State relegated from A to B
Duke relegated from A to B
Texas relegated from A to B
North Carolina relegated from A to B
Georgetown promoted from B to A
Providence promoted from B to A
Baylor promoted from B to A
Connecticut promoted from B to A
Vanderbilt relegated from B to C
St. Bonaventure relegated from B to C
Kansas State relegated from B to C
Nebraska relegated from B to C
Cincinnati promoted from to C to B
Memphis promoted from C to B
Texas Tech promoted from C to B
Gonzaga promoted from C to B
Ohio State relegated from C to D
Wichita State relegated from C to D
Utah State relegated from C to D
Purdue relegated from C to D
Virginia Commonwealth promoted from D to C
Oklahoma State promoted from D to C
Nevada-Las Vegas promoted from D to C
Syracuse promoted from D to C
Auburn relegated from D to E
Louisiana State relegated from D to E
Utah relegated from D to E
Penn State relegated from D to E
Iowa State promoted from E to D
Texas A&M promoted from E to D
Temple promoted from E to D
Houston promoted from E to D
Colorado State relegated from E to F
Iowa relegated from E to F
Boise State relegated from E to F
Rutgers relegated from E to F
Old Dominion promoted from F to E
Wake Forest promoted from F to E
Colorado promoted from F to E
Illinois State promoted from F to E
Mississippi State relegated from F to G
Saint Louis relegated from F to G
Arizona relegated from F to G
Ohio relegated from F to G
Pacific promoted from G to F
Wright State promoted from G to F
Fresno State promoted from G to F
Alabama-Birmingham promoted from G to F
Nevada relegated from G to H
Murray State relegated from G to H
Kent State relegated from G to H
Tulsa relegated from G to H
Duquesne promoted from H to G
Akron promoted from H to G
Winthrop promoted from H to G
Bowling Green promoted from H to G
Saint Mary’s relegated from H to I
Loyola (IL) relegated from H to I
Furman relegated from H to I
Western Michigan relegated from H to I
Northern Iowa promoted from I to H
Middle Tennessee promoted from I to H
UC-Irvina promoted from I to H
DePaul promoted from I to H
New Mexico State relegated from I to J
Western Kentucky relegated from I to J
Weber State relegated from I to J
George Washington relegated from I to J
Stony Brook promoted from J to I
Drake promoted from J to I
Pennsylvania promoted from J to I
Sam Houston State promoted from J to I
Northeastern relegated from J to K
Loyola Marymount relegated from J to K
East Tennessee State relegated from J to K
NC-Greensboro relegated from J to K
MD-Baltimore County promoted from K to J
Georgia State promoted from K to J
Stephen F. Austin promoted from K to J
Morehead State promoted from K to J
Princeton relegated from K to L
Valparaiso relegated from K to L
Miami (OH) relegated from K to L
Hofstra relegated from K to L
Evansville promoted from L to K
Little Rock promoted from L to K
Grand Canyon promoted from L to K
Eastern Washington promoted from L to K
Illinois-Chicago relegated from L to M
Long Beach State relegated from L to M
William & Mary relegated from L to M
Hawaii relegated from L to M
Coastal Carolina promoted from M to L
Austin Peay promoted from M to L
Fairfield promoted from M to L
Liberty promoted from M to L
Mercer relegated from M to N
Georgia Southern relegated from M to N
Charlotte relegated from M to N
Iona relegated from M to N
Southern Mississippi promoted from N to M
High Point promoted from N to M
Ball State promoted from N to M
Southern Utah promoted from N to M
Abilene Christian relegated from N to O
Portland relegated from N to O
Manhattan relegated from N to O
South Alabama relegated from N to O
Jacksonville State promoted from O to N
Youngstown State promoted from O to N
Brown promoted from O to N
Eastern Kentucky promoted from O to N
Siena relegated from O to P
Robert Morse relegated from O to P
NC-Wilmington relegated from O to P
East Carolina relegated from O to P
Army promoted from P to O
Idaho promoted from P to O
Norfolk State promoted from P to O
Long Island promoted from P to O
Appalachian State relegated from P to Q
Lipscomb relegated from P to Q
Cal Poly relegated from P to Q
UC-Riverside relegated from P to Q
Northern Arizona promoted from Q to P
Texas-Rio Grande promoted from Q to P
Monmouth promoted from Q to P
Lamar promoted from Q to P
Wagner relegated from Q to R
Mount St. Marys relegated from Q to R
Sacramento State relegated from Q to R
San Jose State relegated from Q to R
Stetson promoted from R to Q
Saint Peters promoted from R to Q
Troy promoted from R to Q
Incarnate Word promoted from R to Q
New Orleans relegated from R to S
Delaware relegated from R to S
Purdue Fort Wayne relegated from R to S
Gardner-Webb relegated from R to S
Cal State Northridge promoted from S to R
Kansas City promoted from S to R
North Carolina A&T promoted from S to R
Bryant promoted from S to R
UC-Davis relegated from S to T
Chicago State relegated from S to T
Canisius relegated from S to T
Montana State relegated from S to T
Alcorn State promoted from T to S
Arkansas-Pine Bluff promoted from T to S
Omaha promoted from T to S
Southern promoted from T to S
Citadel relegated from T to U
Bellarmine relegated from T to U
Sacred Heart relegated from T to U
New Hampshire relegated from T to U
Jackson State promoted from U to T
North Alabama promoted from U to T
Morgan State promoted from U to T
MD-Eastern Shore promoted from U to T
Kennesaw State relegated from U to V
Presbyterian relegated from U to V
North Dakota relegated from U to V
Saint Francis (PA) relegated from U to V
Eastern Illinois promoted from V to U
UC-San Diego promoted from V to U
Western Illinois promoted from V to U
Maine promoted from V to U
Longwood relegated from V to Independent
Birmingham promoted from Independent to V
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri May 13, 2022 1:07 am

TRANSFERS

UC-San Diego—no one transferred and all scholarships filled.

MD-Eastern Shore—SF Jibran Hale transferred away.…excellent player (last season was Conf. Freshman of the Year and 1st Team All-Conf.) so a big loss. 3 open scholarships to try to fill with transfer players…Will try to land a SF and an interior player plus best available.

Alcorn State—3 players transferred away leaving so have 3 scholarships available to try to fill with transfer players…need a guard, interior player and either a SG or SF.

Western Illinois—one player transferred so one scholarship to fill with a transfer player…prefer to get an interior player.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff—no one transferred away, but had one open scholarship to fill with a transfer player…need a guard.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 15, 2022 1:03 pm

Transfer Results

ALCORN STATE

Ramon Montez: “Our goal was to sign a guard, an interior player, and either another guard or a small forward. We spent more money than we’d have liked, but ended up getting 3 very good players. SF Jared Kraft transferred from Indiana where he didn’t play much as a freshman, but is likely to start for us. PG Teremun Harris comes to us from Tennessee-Martin where he started his entire freshman year and averaged 12.7 ppg. PF LaRon Eldridge played as a freshman for Lehigh where he was their primary sub and averaged 8.8 ppg and 3.9 rpg. Harris and Eldridge will get substantial playing time and could challenge for a starting role.”

MD-EASTERN SHORE

Mike McMillan: “Losing SF Jibran Hale was a big blow since he played so well for us as a freshman. Jibran ended up transferring to Georgetown. We needed to sign a SF to take Jibran’s place. And we got our man bt signing SF Winston Morris who started for Oregon as a freshman and averaged 11.2 ppg and 5.9 rpg. He’s likely to start for us this coming season.. We also signed C Tim Taflinger who, as a freshman, started for Jacksonville where he averaged 5.9 ppg and 5.1 rpg. We also signed PF Luke Feeley who got limited playing time at Kansas last season. Taflinger and Feeley both will get some solid playing time ths season.”

WESTERN ILLINOIS

Terry Morillo: “We just had one scholarship to fill and were looking for a good interior players. We signed PF Joe Bergmann. He played well last season as a freshman at Yale where he started and averaged 12.9 ppg and 3.6 rpg and was the Conference E Freshman of the Year. We expect him to be a starter for us this

ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF

Dontell Spencer: “We were going after a guard to fill our lone vacant scholarship. We were able to convince SG Bill Thorton to likely start for us this season. As a freshman he attended Florida Gulf Coast. He broke his wrist so missed a third of the season but was a starter in the games he could play. He scored 15.4 ppg and pulled down 4.4 rpg.”

UC-SAN DIEGO

Ken Yamoto: “When I see the level of transfer players the others signed, I sort of wish we could have participated. But we had a full house of scholarship players. We will have a young team this season. Nine of our 13 scholarships are filled by freshman and sophomores. So we could be in for a big challenge this year.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon May 16, 2022 8:19 pm

Recruiting Needs

Ken Yamoto, UC-San Diego: Have 3 scholarships to fill. Need at least one good SF. With the other 2 scholarships, best to get a SG, a C, or possibly a 2nd SF.

Mike McMillan, MD-Eastern Shore: 5 scholarships to fill. Primary need is for a couple big men with secondary need being for 1 or 2 SG’s.

Ramon Montez, Alcorn State: 3 scholarships to fill. Principle focus will be to last a 1-2 SG’s and maybe an interior player.

Terry Morillo, Western Illinois: 2 scholarships to fill. Just get the 2 best guys we can, regardless of position.

Dontell Spencer, Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 3 scholarships to fill. Best scenario would be a couple guards and a big man.

[Note: As in previous years the AI will be used to do the recruiting for all 5 teams. Let the chips fall may they may!]
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu May 19, 2022 12:50 am

Summer/Fall Recruiting Results:

UC-San Diego: Have 3 scholarships to fill.

Ken Yamoto, “We picked up 3 high school players at the positions we needed: SG, C and SF. While all 3 have some potential, it’s unlikely that any of them will help us much as freshmen.”

MD-Eastern Shore: 5 scholarships to fill.

Mike McMillan, “We didn’t do all that well. We only filled two of the 4 scholarships that are coming open. I’m pretty happy with the C and SG we got. Although it’s difficult to predict how productive they will be initially for us, the C’s work ethic is extremely good and the SG is a strong leader. We don’t have too much money remaining in our budget though. That may mean we need to go after transfer players next June.”

Alcorn State: 3 scholarships to fill.

Ramon Montez, “Recruiting went well this year. We got a SF who’s a great leader, a PG who seems to be good at directing an offense, and a really solid C who is a good scorer and rebounder. So that fills all of our scholarships that will be coming open this coming year.”

Western Illinois: 2 scholarships to fill.

Terry Morillo, “We fill both of our scholarships. The PG we got seems pretty adept at runninga team. And the SG is a very good scorer who is a great leader and a hard worker.”

Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 3 scholarships to fill.

Dontell Spencer, “We fill 2 of our 3 available scholarships. Both are interior players so we still need a guard but we are basically out of money, so probably will have to go after a transfer player next summer. The C is a decent scorer and a pretty strong rebounder. The PF, while not as strong on the glass, is a better scorer and is a good leader. Both are hard workers, so that’s good.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri May 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Five Musketeers’ comments on their expectations (Part 1 of 5)

Dontell Spencer, Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions: “I think we’re pretty solid this season, but I’m shocked that the media has tabbed us as the best team in Conference S. While I hope they’re right, fulfilling that expectation will be tough, particularly since we’ve now moved up to a stronger conference. We’ll rely heaving on our starters this year. C Chris Baretts has put together two strong seasons for us and averaged 13.4 ppg as a sophomore last season. PF Antonio Gailey is a senior who was a key reserve for us the past 2 seasons, averaging 4.3 ppg and 3.2 rpg last year. SF Dan Jefferson is a junior who has has done much better than any of we coaches thought he would the past 2 years and led us in scoring last season with 15.2 ppg. SG Bill Thorton transferred from Florida Gulf Coast where he averaged 15.4 ppg as a freshman last year. PG William Huggins transferred from LaSalle but didn’t get a lot of playing time for us last season, but I think is ready to be a solid performer for us as a senior this year.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 22, 2022 1:05 am

Five Musketeers’ comments on their expectations (Part 2 of 5)

Ramon Montez, Alcorn State Braves: “We moved up to Conference S and now they’re picking us to finish 2nd in the conference. I think we have the players to do that. Todd Young who started for us as a freshman, but did a good job coming off the bench the past 2 seasons and averaged 5.4 ppg and 2.6 apg last year, has won back the starting job at PG. But last year’s starter, sophomore Teremun Harris, who averaged 12.7 ppg and 3.4 apg last season, wants to win back the job and will be challenging him. Senior Caleb Sanden, who was our starting SG after starting 2 years at North Alabama, will again be starting at SG this season after scoring 13.3 ppg last year. Harold Hein returns as our starter at SF after doing so the past 2 years and averaging 4.6 ppg and 4.1 rpg last season. Sophomore Jared Kraft will start at PF after playing little at Indiana last season. LaRon Eldridge will back him up after being a primary reserve at Lehigh as a freshman last season where is scored 8.8 ppg. Bernie Graham steps up to start after being a solid reserve for us the past 3 seasons at C and averaging 6.4 ppg last season.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue May 24, 2022 1:52 am

Five Musketeers’ comments on their expectations (Part 3 of 5)

Mike McMillan, MD-Eastern Shore Hawks: “We’re pleased to have moved up to Conference T, but a bit surprised to have been picked to come out on top of the conference standings. I really do like our team this year and feel we’re strong at all positions and have good depth as well. We have starters returning at 3 positions. Dwayne Bullet is a senior who started at C for us the past 2 seasons and averaged 10.7 ppg and 5.6 rpg last year. PF Tony Reuter is another senior who started for us last year and averaged 7.0 ppg and 7.1 rpg. At SF we’ll start sophomore Winston Morant who transferred from Oregon where he started and averaged 11.2 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Edouard Gaultier is a senior who has played well coming off the bench the past 2 seasons (averaging 4.7 ppg last season) and has won the starting role at SG for us this season. At PG Lataryl Brown returns as our starter after averaging 7.4 ppg and 5.6 apg. In addition, SG Marcos Santini and three big men, Jim Taflinger, Terrance Minor, and Luke Feeley provide us a lot of depth and all could challenge for starting roles as the season progresses.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed May 25, 2022 1:53 am

Five Musketeers’ comments on their expectations (Part 4 of 5)

Terry Morillo, Western Illinois Lethernecks: “I’m really happy we advanced to Conference U. We’ve been picked to finish 3rd in conference play. To be honest, I’m not sure we can achieve that, but we’ll sure be trying. I think our starting lineup is a little stronger on the perimeter than inside but we have more depth inside. Starting at PG will be senior Tom Daniel who started for us last season and averaged 5.5 ppg and 4.1 apg. At SG will be senior Marcelo Barker who as a starter for us last year averaged 13.9 ppg. James Johnson, a sophomore, also started for us last year and averaged 10.3 ppg. We’re going to start freshman Orvo Haapajarvi at PF. He’s inexperienced by has a huge amount of upside potential. Junior Craig Grant who started for us the past 2 seasons and averaged 9.3 ppg and 4.9 rpg last year will again be at C. A guy I like coming off the bench is sophomore PF Joe Bergmann who transferred from Yale where he started as a freshman and averaged 12.9 ppg.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports