READY FOR PRIME TIME?

Re: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

Postby PointGuard » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:16 pm

Transfer Season Results:

Dixie State picked up 2 transfer players: SG Tim Manheimer (6-0 sophomore from Aliso Viejo, CA who is transferring from Cal State Northridge where he was redshirted and then the next season as a redshirt freshman, he played in just 7 games and whose main strengths are as a ball hawk on defense and passing and ball handling on offense) and PF Henry Hughes (6-8 junior from Emmett, ID who is transferring from Boise State where in his freshman year he as rarely used but as a sophomore he came off the bench in all games averaging 4.7 ppg and 3.3 rpg). That leaves only one scholarship unfilled so that the Trailblazers will have 3 walk-ons this season.

Tarleton State landed C Alijah Acorn (6-9 sophomore from Canada who is transferring from Tennessee Tech where he played in half their games as a freshman, averaging 6.5 mpg, 5.3 ppg and 1.0 rpg). That still left two scholarships unfilled which results in the Texans having 4 walk-on players this year.

MD-Eastern Shore didn’t sign any transfer players. That means they will have 4 walk-on players this season.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff signed PG Dwayne Robinson (6-0 sophomore from Chicago, IL who’s transferring from SIU Edwardsville where he played in all their games as a freshman, starting in two and averaging 13.9 mpg, 7.2 ppg, and 1.7 apg and was reported to be a very good ball handler and passer who likes to put the ball in the hoop). But Coach Spencer will be challenged this coming season because his four remaining unfilled scholarships means he will have 6 walk-ons on the team.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 am

Recruiting Hell

Recruiting has been the bane of most of these 5 coaches. Landing 2, 3 or even 4 recruits is a lot of work, but certainly within the realm of possibility for most colleges. For teams that are off the radar of Division I basketball, it’s even tougher. But this season some of the 5 coaches will have a large number of available scholarships.

Here’s the recruiting challenge for each of the 5 coaches and how they did during the summer and fall:

Ramon Montez at Alcorn State: The Braves had 4 available scholarships and their biggest need was for guards. By Nov. 13 they had verbal commitments from 3 recruits: PG Josh Branson, a 6-1 HS senior from Senatobia, MS who is an excellent outside shooter and a great passer; PG Todd Young, a 6-0 HS senior from Okolona, MS who’s a very good passer and ball handler; and C Jarrett Dudley, a 6-9 HS senior from Purvis, MS who looks to be a sound rebounder. Coach Montez said, “I was really happy to get a couple of good PG’s. For the remaining scholarship, we’re going to go after the best recruit we can land, regardless of position.”

Coach Terry Morillo, Dixie State: Coach Morillo said, “We’ve filled 2 of the 6 scholarships we have coming open after this season. While I’m happy to have landed those two, still having 4 to to fill means we need to be successful this spring.” The recruits who intend to come to Dixie State are: PF David Greer and PG Nate Johnson. Greer in a 6-7 high school senior from Orem, UT who averaged 10.3 ppg and 5.4 rpg as a junior. He has good athleticism so should have the stamina to play long stretches. His main forte is rebounding. Johnson is from South Jordan and as a junior he scored 16.1 ppg and had 3.2 apg. He’s an outstanding outside shooter and a good passer and ball handler. The Trailblazers also like his height, 6’4”, feeling he can be an asset at either PG or SG.

Coach Ken Yamoto, Tarleton State: “We may not be the best recruiters, but we’re not incompetent.” But the Texans again failed to fill any of their scholarships thus far. So with 6 to go, things aren’t looking good for yet another year.

Coach Mike McMillan, MD-Eastern Shore: The Hawks are another program having recruiting problems. They had 7 scholarships to fill and only filled one of those thus far. That person is PF Tony Reuter from Tamaqua, PA. He’s a 6-6 high school senior who as a junior last season averaged 13.0 ppg and 6.6 rpg. He’s a good inside shooter and a better outside shooter. Reuter’s a very good rebounder, is very athletic, and hasn’t had any injuries. Coach McMillan said, “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed that we only filled 1 of 7 scholarships. It’s not that we weren’t trying. We had 3 guys turn us down. The big problem for us comes down to money. Our recruiting budget is just simply inadequate. That paints a bleak picture for the remainder of this year in trying to get recruits interested in us.”

Coach Dontrell Spencer, Arkansas-Pine Bluff: “I’m happy we have 2 recruits who have given us verbal acceptances. I’m unhappy that we still have 4 scholarships to fill,” said Coach Spencer. He added, “We missed out on a couple guys we thought we’d land and now we don’t have much money left in our coffers.” One of the recruits coming to play for the Golden Lions next year is SG Paul Marley who is a 6-0 high school senior from West Memphis, AR and who averaged 15.2 ppg and 2.9 rpg in his junior year. Extremely athletic, Paul is a very good scorer from outside. He’s also a very solid passer and ball handler meaning he may be able to handle the point as well as the 2. The other recruit they landed is C Jaraan Daniels. Daniels hails from Sherwood, AR where he is a junior college sophomore. In his freshman year last season he scored 9.6 ppg and hauled in 7.4 rpg. He’s a solid interior player, rebounding strongly and exhibiting excellent inside shooting skills, but he needs to put the ball up more often.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:47 pm

Thoughts of Coach Ramon Montez:

“The reorganization by the NCAA was a welcome act and one that was past due. So I salute the NCAA on doing so. But their decision to place 5 teams in a form of purgatory…on the periphery of but not really a part of Division I…while initially intriguing, has put the 5 schools that were assigned to that purgatory in a very precarious position with some definite undue burdens that I believe were not initially foreseen.

I say this with a deep appreciation that I, along with 4 other coaches who had excelled as high school coaches, were given the opportunity to move into the collegiate coaching ranks. But the Independent ranks have severe limitations.

First, Independents are only able to play half rather than a full season of Division I basketball. And only one of the five can ultimately be successful each season.

Second, scheduling is not only difficult, but more significantly it most often results in the Independents being penalized. Most colleges won’t play Independents. If they do, most want to play at home against the Independents. So most Independents play a very high percentage of their games on the road, thus often ensuring they will have a losing record.

Third, the fact that the Independents are not really a part of Division I makes it exceedingly difficult to recruit. Not only is it extremely difficult for Independents to have a chance at landing talented recruits, but it’s now obvious that for many of the Independents, it is nearly impossible to fill vacant scholarships. This then creates a downward cycle for an Independent team where they have fewer scholarship players and are forced to have more and more walk-ons. When that happens, how can they be expected to contend successfully?

So rather than a “Scarlet Letter A”, these initial Independent teams were tattooed with a “Scarlet Letter I”. And for the 2 teams that were placed as Independents that never before had been a part of Division I (Tarleton State and Dixie State), the “I” was a bright fluorescent scarlet letter.

I say this with a sense of “there but by the grace of God go I”. Alcorn State was extremely fortunate to have prior-history in Division I and then achieve the best record the first year of this new organization of teams. So we were able to escape the clutches of Independent-hood quickly. If we had not, we’d be in the same predicament as the initial 5 that still are trapped in the quicksand of being an Independent.

After getting into Conference V, recruiting is still difficult as would be expected for a team in the lowest conference tier, but it’s noticeably easier than it was as an Independent. And now that MD-Eastern State has followed us to Conference V, I believe that after a season in Conference V, their recruiting will improve as well.

Given what we now know about being an Independent, I have encouraged the remaining coaches of the initial 5, to try to escape by whatever means possible. And the way would be to walk…apply for and get hired at a college that presently is in a Division I conference and walk away from their existing Independent predicament.

I realize that given the existing promotion/relegation system, one college each season will be dropping into the Independent ranks. I hope and believe that those colleges who initially were thought of as “Conference teams” have been inoculated from the Independent curse. Recruits won’t be so reluctant to accepting scholarships from those colleges and other colleges won’t be so averse to scheduling games with them and playing on an Independent’s home court.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Coaches’ Outlooks as 2032-2033 Season Nears:

Ramon Montez, Alcorn State Braves: As an Independent in my first season with Alcorn State, we were 8-7 against Division I opponents which was good enough to get us promoted to Conference V. Last year in the Braves first season in Conference V we won 9 and lost 7 in the conference which put us into a 5-way tie for 5th place. Our season record was 14-14. So we’re one game over .500 during my first 2 years at Alcorn State. We’re picked to finish 6th in the conference this season, but I sure would like to finish in the top 4 so we could move up to a new conference. Our strength is up front while our guards are not that strong this year. SF Benjamin Delk and PF James Roberts ae the core for out team. Delk started 95% of our games as a freshman and sophomore and is a solid player. Roberts hasn’t started any for us but he’s come in off the bench to be very productive offensively so I expect he will be even better as a starter this season. We’re going with Gabriel Atwood, a freshman, to start at C. He has looked good in practice. Guards Kyle Rose and Nick Gervin have been used sparingly in my first 2 years here, so they’re going to experience a lot of pressure this year. I like SF Tony Fife as our 6th man. Our pre-conference schedule is touch. We start by taking on Gonzaga and then have a number of other strong teams to go up against. But that should prepare us well for conference play.

Terry Morillo, Dixie State Trailblazers: We improved from 4-11 in my first year here to 7-8 last season. We need to improve further so we can be promoted from being an Independent to being in a Conference. We’re very deep at guard positions. Jerry McCutcheon has been our scoring leader both seasons at SG. While we have some very solid natural PG’s, I plan to start Joel Knight, who considered himself a SG when he came to Dixie State, but has played mostly at PG the past two season, starting 2/3 of our games there. We have 3 good size PG’s (6’4” to 6’5”) who will can come off the bench to play either the 1 or 2. Chad Bain started a few games at SF as a freshman and played well, but then sustained an injury last season so played little. At PF, Greg Linney has started every game during my 2 years here and is a good scorer and strong rebounder. There’s competition to start at C. At this point I against big-time programs: Georgia Tech, Miami (FL), and Arizona State and just 4 of our 15 Division I games so that’s another big negative on our winning enough to get promoted.

Ken Yamoto, Tarleton State Texans: We’ve had two rough seasons, winning just 5 of our 30 games. It’s tough building a basketball program in a small town in southwest Utah. Time to turn things around and surprise people. We have a better schedule this season with almost as many home games and away games. PG Mark Jordan is probably our most talented player. He started all games during his freshman and sophomore seasons the past 2 years. Senior SG Simon Brown gets his chance to be a starter this year. Mark Pryor has improved significantly every year. This season he’ll start at SF. Brett McCoy started last year at PF, played very well, so will be starting for us again this season. C Tyson Chambers had a similar season to McCoy last year and will repeat as a starter this season. We don’t have a lot of depth, so need to stay injury-free.

Mike McMillan, Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks: I’m really excited about our team making it into Conference V after last season. We improved from 6-9 the first year I was coaching here to 8-7 last season and hope to see further improvement this season. Midway through preconference play this year we have 3 straight road games against the likes of Stanford, Iowa State, and Vanderbilt…no bed of roses for us. The main thing is to get prepared to play well once conference play starts. Roby Ford is a senior who played very well coming off the bench for me the past two seasons, but will be our starter at C this year and could very well be our team leader. PF Pete Dennis had a limited role for us the first 2 years I was here, but I think while he likely won’t be a star, should be solid for us in a starting role. We have 3 good point guards, but it looks to me like David Bradley, who was our starter last season, should prevail against the competition to start at PG. At SG Chris Seals looks like he’s ready to go from a lightly-used sub to being our starter in his senior season for us. And at SF we’ll have freshman standout Junior Sarchet starting. So who’s our best player coming off the bench? I’d say C Mike House who played well for us last season.

Dontell Spencer, Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions: Our strength this season should be from our big men. PF Dexter Thorne started for the Golden Lions the first year I was head coach, then played a backup role last seasons but handled that well, and now is ready to move back into the starting lineup. At C will be Imari McDonald who did a heckuva job for us starting for us last season. David Brown and Marcus Huld look like they will share starting at SF. Danny Logie, coming to us this year as a JC transfer where he played SF, will start at SG. Logie has played extremely well during practice. At PG, Milton Cox has been our starter the last 2 seasons and played extremely well so will be our court leader again this year. I would like a deeper bench that we will have, but you gotta do with what you have. We improved from a 6-10 record the first year I was coaching to 9-7 last year with a berth in the NIT last year. I’m focused on getting us up into Conference V after this year. We’re going to have to really play hard since we only have 4 home games while there are 11 away games.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 pm

Season Results—Independent Teams

Two of the Independent Teams have coaches that aren’t part of the Five Musketeers. Those teams are theAlabama A&M Bulldogs and the Presbyterian Blue Hens. Alabama A&M won their last 3 games, but finished their Division I schedule with a lackluster 5-10 record. After winning just 1 of their first 10 games, Presbyterian lost their final 5 games to complete their Division I season with a 6-9 record.

Here’s the records this season for Independent teams with coaches that are part of the Five Musketeers:

Dixie State Trailblazers: 4-11. The Trailblazers sustained a 7-game losing streak that torpedoed their season. They then won 2 of their last 3 games, but it was too late to avoid ending with the worst record of all 5 Independent teams. Coach Terry Morillo said, “Playing 11 of our 15 games on the road was a recipe for disaster. That ended up saddling us with 9 of our 11 losses. But even though we only won 4 games, we nearly scored as much as our opponents.” (73.0 ppg for the Trailblazers versus 73.9 ppg for their opponents). The team’s prestige dropped to 3. Coach Morillo now possesses a 15-30 (.333) record over the course of his 3-year career.

Senior SG Jerry McCutcheon and junior SF Chad Bain led the team’s scoring in most all their games. McCutcheon averaged 14.7 ppg and Bain scored 13.1 ppg (he also pulled down 4.4 rpg). PF Gregg Linney (a senior who averaged 9.3 ppg and 6.5 rpg) and C Vincent O’Bannon (he averaged 9.3 ppg and 5.5 rpg) did well inside for Dixie State. Junior PG Joel Knight scored 8.1 ppg while dishing out 4.4 apg. The two primary subs were senior C DeWy Smith (6.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg) and senior PG Antonio Huss (3.4 ppg and 2.1 apg).

Tarleton State Texans: 6-9. The Texans had more wins this past season that they totaled in their first two years. Coach Ken Yamoto’s coaching record is now 11-34 (.244). Tarleton State was weak defensively giving up 77. ppg. “We have a long way to go, but the guys improved a lot this year,” said Coach Yamoto. “Mark Pryor really stepped up to lead the team this year. He’s a hard worker, going from Harley playing at all as a sophomore, to being our 6th man as a junior, and then leading the team in scoring in most all of our games this season. I’ll sure hate to lose him, but fortunately Keith Brown looked real strong subbing for Mark.”

SF Mark Pryor averaged 15.3 ppg. C Tyson Chambers averaged 9.3 ppg and PF Brent McCoy hit for 9.1 ppg and together they averaged 10.4 rpg. SG Simon Brown scored 8.2 ppg and had 3.1 apg. All four of those starters were seniors. The only starter returning is junior PG Mark Jordan (8.4 ppg and 4.7 apg). There was a lack of depth inside for the Texans this season, but transfer C Elijah Acorn will become eligible this coming season.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions: 11-8. By achieving the best record of all 5 Independent teams this year, the Golden Lions will be promoted to Conference V this coming season.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff was selected as the 6th seed in the South Region of the NIT Tournament. They played #3 seed Northern Arizona Lumberjacks from Conference R. The Golden Lions fell behind by as much as 20 points in the first half and trailed at the break 46-29. But Arkansas-Pine Bluff came out in the 2nd half as a completely different team. They played lock-down defense and shot the lights out on offense. They took the lead late in the half and with 2 minutes to go led by 5. But they had to hang on to eke out a 76-74 upset victory. PF Dexter Thorne scored 21 and had 7 rebounds.

The win put them into Round 2 against the Bradley Braves from Conference I who had upset Auburn in the first round. Arkansas-Pine Bluff again fell behind in the first half. After trailing by 9 they closed behind by 2 at 35-33. As in their previous game, they slammed the door defensively in the 2nd half, holding the Braves to just 21 points to score a decisive 65-56 win. SG Danny Logie led the scoring with 18 points.

In the Regional final, the Golden Lions took on Conference H’s Drake Bulldogs. The pattern continued as Drake moved out to a 36-27 halftime lead. This time the Golden Lions unleashed a potent offense in the 2nd half, scoring 51 points. They opened a 14 point lead but then had to hold off the Bulldogs in the late going to pull off their 3rd straight upset victory, 78-72. SG Danny Logie scored 19 to lead their scoring.

The Semifinals had Arkansas-Pine Bluff vying with the Nevada Las Vegas Runnin’ Rebels from Conference E while in the other Semifinal game North Carolina A&T against Duke. In their game against UNLV, Arkansas-Pine Bluff hung with the Runnin’ Rebels in the first half, trailing by a scant 2 points at 44-42. But UNLV had just too much talent, propelling past the Golden Lions in the 2nd half enroute to a 99-77 crushing. Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s SG Danny Logie scored 18 in their losing effort. UNLV went on to beat Duke for the Championship.

Coach Dontell Spencer ecstatically exclaimed, “What a team! My guys really showed what they’re made of by running off 3 wins in the NIT and getting to the Semifinals! During pre-conference play we exhibited similar effort, winning 8 games against much higher rated opponents. But to score 3 comeback wins in the NIT was amazing. That was great preparation for next season conference play.”

Coach Spencer now possesses a 26-25 (.510) record in his 3 years of college coaching. SF Marcus Huld tore his Achilles tendon early in the season but should be recovered in time for the upcoming season. The other 4 starters return next season as well. SG Danny Logie scored 15.1 ppg, C Imari McDonald averaged 12.1 ppg and 6.1 rpg, PG Milton Cox scored 9.7 ppg plus had 5.5 apg, PF Dexter Thorne averaged 6.7 ppg and 4.4 rpg, and SF Marcus Huld was averaging 7.4 ppg before he was injured.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm

Season ResultsConference V:

Two of the 16 teams in Conference V are coached by Five Musketeers coaches:

Alcorn State finished 8th in the conference with an 8-8 conference record. The Braves overall record was 14-16. While it wasn’t a disastrous season, the Braves slipped a little this year even though they outscored their opponents 76.6 to 75.3 ppg. This was the first time a team coached by Ramon Montez was below .500. His 3 year record is now 36-37 (.493). Alcorn State will remain in Conference V but their prestige dropped back down to 3.

Coach Montez said, “I was disappointed that we didn’t do better this year, but I’m very optimistic about how we’ll do next season.” The Braves were led offensively by their two big men, Virgil Brown who averaged 12.7 ppg and James Roberts who scored 11.0 ppg (and averaged 6.3 rpg). While Roberts and PG Kyle Rose (7.0 ppg and 4.6 apg) are graduating, 3 starters will return: Brown was a freshman as was SF Will Friel (9.6 ppg and 5.0 rpg) and junior SG Mike Gallagher (9.6 ppg). Additionally, 3 of the team’s top subs will be back: freshman C Gabriel Atwood (7.5 ppg and 3.5 rpg), junior SF Benjamin Delk (4.3 ppg), and sophomore PG Dana Turner (3.5 ppg and 2.7 apg).

Maryland-Eastern Shore had a 7-9 conference record to tie for 9th place in the conference. The Hawks season record was 12-17. Coach Mike Mc Millan said, “We had a good start winning 3 of our first 4 games, but then we had 3 straight road games against top-flight teams (Stanford, Iowa State, and Vanderbilt) and lost all 3. Then early in conference play we lost 6 of 7 games which put us down toward the bottom of the standings. We gradually improved though and were playing pretty well in the last part of the season.” 17 losses dropped the team’s prestige to 4. Coach McMillan’s collegiate coaching record is now 26-33 (.441) in his first 3 years.

Four of Hawks’ starters are graduating and only 5 scholarship players will return, so next season could be a challenge to prevent relegation back to Independent status. Leading the team this year were C Roby Ford (13.0 ppg and 6.2 rpg), SF Junior Sarchet (12.2 ppg and 3.7 rpg), and SG Chris Seals (11.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, and 3.4 apg). Only Sarchet (who was a freshman this year) returns.

In the Conference V Tournament, Alcorn State and Maryland-Eastern Shore were matched up against each other for the right to play the 1st seed Kennesaw State Owls.

Conference V Tournament:

Alcorn State-85, Maryland-Eastern Shore-72: The game swayed back and forth for the first 5 minutes but then Alcorn State took control and by the end of the first half, the Braves led 43-29. With the Hawks shooting poorly, the Braves began pulling further away to open a 20-point lead. Maryland-Eastern Shore cut into the lead a little, but Alcorn State prevailed to move on in the tournament. The Braves were led by PG Kyle Rose’s 23 points. Rose hit 5 of 9 three-point shots. The top scorer for the Hawks was SF Junior Sarchet who pumped in 19 points.

Kennesaw State-79, Alcorn State-78: Even though Kennesaw State led at one point by 11 points and Alcorn State’s biggest lead was 9 points, the game was close most all the way with 20 lead changes and 12 ties. At the end of the first half Kennesaw State led 34-33. In the second half Alcorn State scored 34 points to Kennesaw State’s 33 points. With the game tied at 67-67, the teams went at each other in OT with the Owls clawing out a single point victory over the Braves. Alcorn State C James Roberts had 14 points and 10 rebounds plus 4 assists, a steal, and 2 blocks.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Tournament Champions:

CIT: Furman

CBI: Rutgers

NIT: UNLV

NCAA: Nebraska

The Nebraska Cornhuskers have been in Conference E all 3 seasons. So there were 64 teams in more prestigious conferences A-D. They finished in the middle of the conference the first two seasons and lost in the first and second rounds of the NIT in those years.

This season the Cornhuskers finished tied for 3rd place in Conference E with a 10-6 conference record and a 17-10 season record. They were unranked. They got knocked out of the Conference E tournament in the first round. They then had to win a play-in game to get into the Round of 64 for the NCAA Tournament as a 12th seed. The team then went on to roll off 6 straight victories including a 7 point win over #1 ranked, #1 seed Arizona in the semi-finals and they beat #14 ranked Kentucky in a thrilling 71-69 championship game.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat May 15, 2021 12:16 am

Intervention:

The five coaches had their annual get-together after the season concluded. But unlike previous years, this time 3 of the coaches held a sort of “Coaches Anonymous” meeting for the other two coaches. Mike McMillan, Dontell Spencer and Ramon Montez, all of whom now were in Conference V, laid it out plain and simple for Ken Yamoto and Terry Morillo whose teams were still mired in the muck known as being an Independent.

In summary their remarks were: You can continue to wallow in the bottom five. You may be able to extricate yourselves. But its apparent that recruiting for your two schools is next to impossible. You both have endured three straight years of butting your heads against a recruiting blank wall. Both of you are too good of coaches to continue to fight against the odds that are being stacked against you by being saddled with a bunch of untalented walk-ons and few scholarship players. It’s time for the two of you to come to the realization that you need to make a drastic change. There are coaching jobs that are available. Even though your teams’ records aren’t good, you both have 3 years of college coaching experience that will make administrators at some of those colleges interested. Apply for those jobs and get to a place where you have a chance of realizing success. Now’s the time to go for it. You’ve got nothing to lose.

Head Coach Job Changes:

Ken Yamoto and Terry Morillo talked together after the “Coaches Anonymous” meeting. They both were concerned about leaving their present jobs since they hadn’t been successful in developing their programs. But they generally agreed with their 3 compatriots had said. To make a long story short…they both decided to see if they could land a job at new schools. There definitely were jobs out there once they began checking into it. The hiring process wasn’t quick and easy, but both landed new jobs:

Ken Yamoto was hired as the new head coach for the UC-San Diego Tritons. He was selected for the job over other applicants because of Ken’s high academic standards which fit in well with UC-San Diego’s reputation. The Tritons have a 34-51 record over the past 3 seasons.

Terry Morillo opted to look for a job at a college with much lower academic standards which would make it possible to go after a wider array of recruits. He was hired to be the coach for the Western Illinois Leathernecks. The SAT minimum for Western Illinois is 860 as opposed to 980 at UC-San Diego. The Leathernecks record over the past 3 seasons is 33-51.

Both of these colleges are members of Conference V and finished last season in the middle of the conference standings.

[The 4-week break between the previous post and this post wasn't planned. But when I decided that it was time for a coaching job change, I found that the human-controlled coaches in Universe Mode could not get hired. Reported it to Gary and he figured out a fix. I then had to wait for him to complete some other fixes that he incorporated into the Version 9.5 update that was released yesterday.]
Last edited by PointGuard on Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun May 16, 2021 1:51 am

Assistant Coach Hiring:

Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and MD-Eastern Shore each hired several new assistant coaches.

Recruits:

Alcorn State, Ramon Montez: Filled all 4 available scholarships…2 PG’s and 2 C’s.
Western Illinois, Terry Morillo: Filled 5 scholarship openings…2 PG's, SF, and 2 C's. Was unable to fill 1 other available scholarship.
UC-San Diego, Ken Yamoto: Filled both available scholarships…a SG and a C.
MD-Eastern Shore, Mike McMillan: Filled 4 scholarship openings…a PG, SF, PF and C, but failed to fill 4 more available scholarships.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Dontell Spencer: Filled 3 scholarships…a SG and 2 C’s…3 more scholarships were not filled.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu May 20, 2021 6:22 pm

BREAKING NEWS!

The NCAA has found that Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s school administration was delinquent in their record-keeping for the basketball team. The penalty for this infraction that was levied by the NCAA was to rescind the promotion of the team to Conference V. The team will thus remain as an Independent in the coming season.

“This is a travesty!” exclaimed Coach Dontell Spencer. “Our guys played their hearts out and had a great season and then showed how much determination they had by getting to the semi-finals of the NIT Tournament as well. It’s a real disappointment to everyone associated with the team that such drastic action was taken for mothing more than clerical errors. I'm incensed!”

Coach Ken Yamoto: “All of us 4 other coaches have been in touch with Dontell. He said his team was crushed by the news. We’re all astonished by the severity of the penalty. We’d all looked forward to competing head-to-head amongst all 5 coaches in Conference V this season.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports