READY FOR PRIME TIME?

Re: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

Postby PointGuard » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm

TOURNAMENT RESULTS

NCAA

Round 1

Arkansas-Pine Bluff (24-5)—97, UC Irvine—80 (The Golden Lions scored 61 points in the first half and their 2nd half lead grew to 26 points before UC Irvine cut into it a little toward the end of the game. Arkansas-Pine Bluff hit 52% of their FG’s, 50% of their 3’s, and were +18 on the boards. SG Albert Taylor put in 23 points, C Trent Harris had 17 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks, SF Dan Jefferson scored 15 points, and PF Andrew Richardson had 13 points, 16 rebounds and 7 assists.)

West Virginia—67, Alcorn State (19-12)—62 (West Virginia controlled the action in the first half and took a 30-22 lead to the locker room. But the Braves fought back to go ahead by as much as 6 points in the 2nd half. The final 7 minutes were exceptionally close, but the Mountaineers got ahead and forced the Braves to foul repeatedly in the final going. C Mikko Stallings had 14 points and 7 rebounds. “We gave it all we had against a very tough team,” said coach Ramon Montez.)

Duke—71, Maryland-Eastern Shore (21-10)—48 (The Hawks kept the game close throughout the first half and trailed 37-33 at the break. Duke maintained a small lead until MD-Eastern Shore’s shooting went ice cold in the final 7 minutes and Duke rapidly pulled away. SG Lataryl Brown was the Hawks’ leading scorer with 9 points. Duke’s only player to score in double figures was SG Trey Cramer who dropped in 28 points. Coach Mike McMillan said, “Duke just wore us down at the end of the game. But we put up a helluva fight for the first 33 minutes.”)

Round 2

Illinois—83, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (24-6)—78 (The Golden Lions trailed throughout the first half and were down by 9 points at the break. But they fought back so that the two teams exchanged the lead 8 times midway through the 2nd half. But the talented Illini gained a small lead and gamely held onto it to the end. SF Dan Jefferson scored 14 points and had 6 assists, C Trent Harris scored 12 points, SG Jerome King had 11 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals and a block, and PF Andrew Richardson scored 11 points. Coach Dontell Spencer said, “I’m really proud of how we did against the #2 seed, 15th ranked team.)

Championship game: Gonzaga—77, Oregon--63

NIT

Round 1

UC San Diego (22-7)—68, Fairleigh Dickinson—52 (The Tritons gained control early and ran away with this game by playing strong defensively (holding the Knights shooting to just 35% and forcing 24 turnovers). The Tritons offense was carried by PF Brad Sanders (24 points and 8 boards) and super-6th man Jeremiah Mason (17 points on 8 for 11 from the field).

Round 2

UC San Diego (23-7)—81, Cleveland State—62 (There were 10 lead changes in the first 9 minutes of the game, but the Tritons then began pulling away. By the end of the half they were ahead 48-34. They expanded their lead to 25 points midway through the 2nd half and won with ease by combining a potent offense (hitting 53% of their FG’s and 40% of their 3’s) and a stingy defense (32% shooting by the Vikings). SG DeVante Botts had 24 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists. Reserve forward Jeremiah Mason again came up big with 16 points during his 15 minutes on the court. SF Jared Keating added 12 points.)

Round 3

UC San Diego (24-7)—73, Sam Houston State—71 (The Tritons got on top early and were ahead 30-27 at halftime. They held onto a small lead early in the 2nd half but the lead flip-flopped during the entire final 13 minutes with 15 lead changes. With the Tritons trailing by a point, DeVante Botts knocked down a 3 with 8 seconds remaining. The Tritons then hounded the Bearkats so that they could only get off a desperation shot from near the mid-court line as time was running out. SG DeVante Botts poured in 31 points, hitting 9 of 14 FG’s, 6 of 9 from beyond the arc, and 7 of 8 at the line. Reserve forward Jeremiah Mason added 14 points. “Phew! The Bearkats gave us a real run for the money. DeVanta saved us with a tremendous effort,” said coach Ken Yamoto.)

Round 4 (Semifinals)

Texas—77, UC San Diego (24-8)—70 (This game went back-and-forth throughout the first half (with the Tritons holding a 2 point advantage at the break) and during the first 6 minutes of the 2nd half. But then the Longhorns edged ahead and never gave up the lead. 27 fouls were called on UC San Diego and just 11 against Texas with the Longhorns going to the line 27 more times and scoring 23 more points on free throws than the Tritons. SG DeVante Botts and 6th man Jeremiah Mason both scored 15 points with Botts also getting 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks. PF Brad Sanders had 10 points and 8 boards. “It was all I could do to keep from getting a 2nd T and getting tossed outta the game. But our players outshot and out-rebounded the Longhorns and fought through the adversity to almost pull off a big upset,” said coach Ken Yamoto.)

Championship Game: Texas—84, Saint Josephs—64

CBI

Championship Game: Davidson—69, Arkansas--66

CIT

Round 1

Missouri—63, Western Illinois (17-12)—55 (The Leathernecks got off to a great start, leading for the first 15 minutes. But they had fallen behind by 12 at the break and things didn’t improve in the 2nd half. SF James Johnson scored 15 points and PG Ty Wilfork hit for 12 points. “Missouri was just too tough for us, but our guys never quit,” said coach Terry Morillo.)

Championship Game: Yale—67, Stanford—56
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:18 pm

Awards

Conference R Coach of the Year—Dontell Spencer, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Conferenc R 2nd Team All Conference—Andy Carney, Alcorn State

Conferenc R 2nd Team All Conference—Mikko Stallings, Alcorn State

Conference T Defensive Player of the Year—Winston Morant, MD-Eastern Shore

Conference T Coach of the Year—Ken McMillan, MD-Eastern Shore

Conference T 1st Team All Conference—Craig Grant, Western Illinois

Conference T 2nd Team All Conference—Winston Morant, MD-Eastern Shore

Conference U Coach of the Year—Ken Yamoto, UC San Diego

Conference U 2nd team All Conference—DeVante Botts, UC San Diego
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:42 pm

Shocking News

The NCAA has found that a player (B.J. Jefferson) and a recruit (Brandon Chenowith) for Alcorn State accepted prohibited gifts from alumni. The NCAA suspects that coach Ramon Montez has knowledge of the infraction, but Montez denies any knowledge of the infraction. Since the violation was of a relatively minor nature, the school has been prohibited from recruiting for one year.

Although not fired, Ramon Montez has decided to quit and seek a coaching job elsewhere. During his 8 years as Alcorn State, Montez has a 141-87 (.618) record and has taken his team to the NCAA Tournament the past 4 seasons.

[Note: When I first saw this in the association, I thought, “Hey! No way that I cheated." But then I remembered it’s not ME doing the recruiting, I have the AI doing the recruiting for all 5 coaches. So any of them [i]could have cheated. I then checked the personality traits I had set up for Ramon Montez long ago when I set the association up. Lo and behold, I’d set his integrity to “Low”.][/i]
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:53 pm

Other Head Coach News

Dontell Spencer announced he’s leaving Arkansas-Pine Bluff and will be searching for a new head coaching job. Spencer achieved a 143-63 (.694) record during his 8 years at the school. His teams went to the NCAA Tournament 3 times (including the past 2 seasons) and the NIT Tournament 4 times (including winning the championship once and getting to the semifinal game another year).
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:08 pm

New Head Coaching Jobs

Dontell Spencer has taken the head coaching job for the Georgia State Panthers, a member of Conference J.
Georgia State’s Prestige is 30; Facilities are rated as a D; Academics are rated as C+ with an SAT Minimum of 900. Last season the Panthers were 17-14 overall, 11-5 and tied for 2nd in Conf J (but 5th with regard to promotion) and went to the CIT Tournament where they made it to the quarterfinals.

Ramon Montez took the head coaching job for the Southeast Louisiana Lions who are in Conference P.
SE Louisiana’s Prestige is 20, their Facilities are rated C-, their Academics are rated C and their SAT Minimum is 880. Last season the Panthers had a 14-15 overall record and were 9-7 and tied for 6th place in Conf P.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:38 pm

Spring Recruiting

MD-Eastern Shore landed 2 recruits in April. Ivoree Spence is a 2-star PG transferring from a JC. Folkhard Kessler is a 1-star C from Germany who looks to be a strong rebounder. After learning how his first name might sound and be interpreted in English, he changed his first name to Frank.

Western Illinois also landed 2 recruits in April. Aloysius Worley is a 2-star SF who is a good rebounder. Bill Shin is a 1-star PG who also is a strong rebounder.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:33 pm

Assistant Coaches

UC San Diego—no changes were anticipated, but 2nd Asst Maurice Elleby’s contract had just one more year to run and he got an offer at George Mason which he accepted. So Coach Yamoto hired Torrey Wright as his new 2nd Asst Coach in charge of recruiting. Wright previously was an assistant coach at MD-Eastern Shore.

MD-Eastern Shore’s 1st and 2nd Asst Coaches contracts expired and were not renewed. Coach McMillan hired Will Walters as his new 1st Asst Coach in charge of Recruiting and Jake Inge as his new 2nd Asst Coach in charge of player development/practice.

Western Illinois—no changes.

SE Louisiana—Coach Ramon Montez fired the existing 2nd and 3rd assistant coaches and hired Mike Moreland as his 2nd Asst Coach in charge of Player Development/Practice and Tim Kennedy as his 3rd Asst Coach in charge of Scouting. Moreland had previously been an assistant at MD-Eastern Shore.

Georgia State—Coach Dontell Spencer fired the existing 1st and 3rd assistant coaches and hired Ryan Blevins as his 1st Asst Coach in charge of Recruiting and Chris Hooks as his 3rd Asst Coach in charge of Player Development/Practice. Hooks had previously been an assistant at Alcorn State.

Board Requests

All 5 coaches requested facilities upgrade from their boards. All requests were denied except at Georgia State where the facilities were improved from a D rating to a C rating. Dontell Spencer said, “What a change from Arkansas-Pine Bluff where my requests were denied every year! Fantastic!"
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:58 pm

Meeting

To celebrate the previous season’s success by each of the 5 coaches, they decided to have take their families to Hawaii for a week’s vacation together. When they weren’t snorkeling, eating malasadas, or laying out on the beach, the 5 Mike McMillan (M), Ramon Montez (R), Terry Morillo (T), Dontell Spencer (D), and Ken Yamoto (K) got together to talk about last season and the future. Here’s some of what they said:

(T): You all did better than me, so congratulations on successful seasons!
(K): Hey, Terry, your team did just fine and got promoted so that’s great. Plus looking at your roster for this upcoming season, it appears you have a powerhouse.
(T): Maybe but with transfers now being so frequent, you never really have an indication of what your team will look like until the transfer season concludes in late June. I’ve been working my butt off trying to massage egos and keep my guys as happy and content as possible, but you just never know what will make a player decide to move on.
(M): Ain’t that the truth! But you know, sometimes having a few guys decide to jump ship isn’t all that bad…if you can get some strong players to transfer to your team.
(R ): The coach James Garkey sure didn’t do me any favors at SE Louisiana. Not only was the team’s record during his 2 years there below .500, but he left two scholarships unfilled. So if some guys transfer, I’m going to have to really beat the transfer bushes to try to fill all the scholarships and get the strongest team I can.
(K): Well, that reminds me…way to go Ramon and Dontell on your new jobs. I’d say you both did pretty damned well…moving to teams in higher conferences.
(D): I’m just so happy to finally be away from Arkansas Pine Bluff’s board. We had good records season after season and every damned year we were draining our recruiting budget before we were able to fill our scholarships. And those stingy SOB’s always had some flimsy excuse for not approving requests for even a small budget increase.
(M): Well, you should really be happy Dontell. You’re the only one of the five of us who got our requests approved this year. I certainly hope you like your new facilities. The rest of us can only dream.
(D): Yeah, I’m not complaining a bit. And that’s really not my nature. And while Pine Bluff was a nice town, I’m rather enjoying being in a big city like Atlanta.
(R ): Well my move from Lorman, MS to Hammond, LA wasn’t as different as what Dontell did, but I just had to get away from Alcorn State after the NCAA did their number on us. And they just expected me to roll over and say I was the instigator of those guys getting gifts. No freakin’ way! It pisses me off though that this is going to hang around my neck like an albatross.
(K): Best to just let it go, Ramon…and focus on the future and taking your Southeast Louisiana from being mediocre to great like you’ve always done.
(M); Hey, I couldn’t afford to give the kind of salary increases that two of my assistants wanted, so they will be looking for work. I really am glad to Ramon hired Mike Moreland and Ken hired Torrey Wright. Those two will be valuable assets for you two guys.
(D): Yeah, and thanks Ramon for helping me pick up Chris Hooks after he left Alcorn State. Knowing he trained under you made it a done-deal for me to make him the job offer.
(M): So I’m the only one of us that hired two new assistants and neither had worked for one of you guys. Probably a mistake on my part.
(T): Mike, not everyone wants to live in picturesque Princess Anne, Maryland.
(D): Hey Ken, what was your impression of playing in the NIT and making it all the way to the semifinal game…well done, by the way.
(K): At first I was sad about not getting to the Big Dance after the Tritons had finished on top of the conference standings. But they I realized that coming out of Conference U, they would have us as a #16 or #15 seed and we’d most certainly have been a one-and-done. And my guys got up for every one of their games in the NIT and played their hearts out. So that was fun. After the first two games that we won pretty easily, the tight game against Sam Houston State was really exciting and pulling it out at the end was a helluva rush. I really think my guys outplayed Texas in the semi’s and had the refs not called things so one-sidedly, we would have beat the Longhorns and got to the championship. But that’s basketball.
(R ): Man, I was really pulling for you to knock off Texas. That would have been great and I agree completely with you that the refs called a lousy game. If it had been me, I would have had more than the one T you got…and had to have watched the game in the locker room.
(T): Let’s toast to the all our teams coming out on top this coming season…and we each rip thru the Big Dance to take on each other at or near the very end.
(M): Whoa! These mai tai's really pack a punch!
(R ): Especially after having as many as you’ve had, Mike.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 pm

Meeting

To celebrate the previous season’s success by each of the 5 coaches, they decided to have take their families to Hawaii for a week’s vacation together. When they weren’t snorkeling, eating malasadas, or laying out on the beach, the 5 Mike McMillan (M), Ramon Montez (R), Terry Morillo (T), Dontell Spencer (D), and Ken Yamoto (K) got together to talk about last season and the future. Here’s some of what they said:

(T): You all did better than me, so congratulations on successful seasons!
(K): Hey, Terry, your team did just fine and got promoted so that’s great. Plus looking at your roster for this upcoming season, it appears you have a powerhouse.
(T): Maybe but with transfers now being so frequent, you never really have an indication of what your team will look like until the transfer season concludes in late June. I’ve been working my butt off trying to massage egos and keep my guys as happy and content as possible, but you just never know what will make a player decide to move on.
(M): Ain’t that the truth! But you know, sometimes having a few guys decide to jump ship isn’t all that bad…if you can get some strong players to transfer to your team.
(R ): The coach James Garkey sure didn’t do me any favors at SE Louisiana. Not only was the team’s record during his 2 years there below .500, but he left two scholarships unfilled. So if some guys transfer, I’m going to have to really beat the transfer bushes to try to fill all the scholarships and get the strongest team I can.
(K): Well, that reminds me…way to go Ramon and Dontell on your new jobs. I’d say you both did pretty damned well…moving to teams in higher conferences.
(D): I’m just so happy to finally be away from Arkansas Pine Bluff’s board. We had good records season after season and every damned year we were draining our recruiting budget before we were able to fill our scholarships. And those stingy SOB’s always had some flimsy excuse for not approving requests for even a small budget increase.
(M): Well, you should really be happy Dontell. You’re the only one of the five of us who got our requests approved this year. I certainly hope you like your new facilities. The rest of us can only dream.
(D): Yeah, I’m not complaining a bit. And that’s really not my nature. And while Pine Bluff was a nice town, I’m rather enjoying being in a big city like Atlanta.
(R ): Well my move from Lorman, MS to Hammond, LA wasn’t as different as what Dontell did, but I just had to get away from Alcorn State after the NCAA did their number on us. And they just expected me to roll over and say I was the instigator of those guys getting gifts. No freakin’ way! It pisses me off though that this is going to hang around my neck like an albatross.
(K): Best to just let it go, Ramon…and focus on the future and taking your Southeast Louisiana from being mediocre to great like you’ve always done.
(M); Hey, I couldn’t afford to give the kind of salary increases that two of my assistants wanted, so they will be looking for work. I really am glad to Ramon hired Mike Moreland and Ken hired Torrey Wright. Those two will be valuable assets for you two guys.
(D): Yeah, and thanks Ramon for helping me pick up Chris Hooks after he left Alcorn State. Knowing he trained under you made it a done-deal for me to make him the job offer.
(M): So I’m the only one of us that hired two new assistants and neither had worked for one of you guys. Probably a mistake on my part.
(T): Mike, not everyone wants to live in picturesque Princess Anne, Maryland.
(D): Hey Ken, what was your impression of playing in the NIT and making it all the way to the semifinal game…well done, by the way.
(K): At first I was sad about not getting to the Big Dance after the Tritons had finished on top of the conference standings. But they I realized that coming out of Conference U, they would have us as a #16 or #15 seed and we’d most certainly have been a one-and-done. And my guys got up for every one of their games in the NIT and played their hearts out. So that was fun. After the first two games that we won pretty easily, the tight game against Sam Houston State was really exciting and pulling it out at the end was a helluva rush. I really think my guys outplayed Texas in the semi’s and had the refs not called things so one-sidedly, we would have beat the Longhorns and got to the championship. But that’s basketball.
(R ): Man, I was really pulling for you to knock off Texas. That would have been great and I agree completely with you that the refs called a lousy game. If it had been me, I would have had more than the one T you got…and had to have watched the game in the locker room.
(T): Let’s toast to the all our teams coming out on top this coming season…and we each rip thru the Big Dance to take on each other at or near the very end.
(M): Whoa! These mai tai's really pack a punch!
(R ): Especially after having as many as you’ve had, Mike.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:30 pm

Records of the 5 Coaches:

Here’s how the 5 Musketeers have done in their 8 seasons as head coaches:

Dontell Spencer, Georgia State Panthers—Overall Record: 143-63 (.694); Season records (all at Arkansas Pine Bluff): 6-10, 9-7, 11-8, 25-6, 24-10, 21-10, 23-6, 24-6; 4 NIT and 3 NCAA appearances in the past 7 seasons with advancement to the Semifinals one year and to the Championship game another year in the NIT; Ranked in Top 25 one season; 6 promotions to higher conferences while at Arkansas Pine Bluff; Conference Coach of the Year 4 times; Reputation: 32.

Ramon Montez, Southeast Louisiana Lions—Overall Record: 141-87 (.618); Season records (all at Alcorn State): 8-7, 14-14, 14-16, 18-14, 24-7, 23-8. 21-9, 19-12; 1 CIT and 4 NCAA appearances, 6 promotions to higher conferences while at Alcorn State; Conference Coach of the Year 1 time; Reputation: 16 (he sustained about a 10 point slashing of his reputation after Alcorn State was placed on probation in 2038 even though most of his skill ratings are in the 50s and 60s...and while his Offense, Defense, and Player Development ratings continued to increase, his Recruiting skills level dropped about 6 points).

Mike McMillan, Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks—Overall Record: 120-89 (.574); Season records: 8-7, 6-9, 12-17, 12-17, 20-9, 21-10, 20-10, 21-10; 1 CBI, 1 NIT and 2 NCAA appearances, 4 promotions to higher conferences; Conference Coach of the Year 2 times; Reputation: 28.

Terry Morillo, Western Illinois Leathernecks—Overall Record: 99-93 (.516); Season records: 4-11, 7-8, 4-11 at Dixie State and 13-16, 15-15, 16-12, 23-8, 17-12 at Western Illinois; 1 CIT and 1 NCAA appearance; 3 promotions to a higher conferences; Conference Coach of the Year 1 time; Reputation: 20.

Ken Yamoto, UC-San Diego Tritons—Overall Record: 94-98 (.490); Season records: 3-12, 2-13, 6-9 at Tarleton State and 10-17, 15-13, 20-11, 14-15, 24-6 at UC-San Diego; 1 CBI and 1 NIT appearance with advancement to Semifinal game; 3 promotions to a higher conference; Conference Coach of the Year 2 times; Reputation: 21.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports