Turning Over A New Leaf

Turning Over A New Leaf

Postby 3manweave » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 pm

--April 7th, 2026--

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (AP) Led by new Director of Athletics P.D. Quick, who was hired just over two weeks ago after the resignation of Brady Barke, Southeast Missouri has not renewed the contract of head coach Brad Korn after a disastrous 63-114 record at the school, essentially firing him after six seasons. Along with former assistant Sam McMahon, who resigned after the season concluded, Korn was in the center of the NCAA investigation that concluded after the 2025 season, resulting in a loss of half of their scholarship allotment for the 2025-2026 recruiting cycle.

They were only able to use two scholarships out of a potential four last year, signing three-star forward Landon Wallace out of Bowman, N.D., one of the top five players in that state, in November. They also landed transfer Syniker Andrews from IUPUI, a six-foot-seven center who will become eligible this upcoming season. With just eleven scholarship players in the fold last year, they went 7-22 and finished last in the OVC.

The two other scholarships will carry over into the next season, where the next coach will have four to work with. The program will remain on probation through this season as part of the punishment handed down by the NCAA, but have no further loss of scholarships; nor a postseason ban. Quick has announced his intention to carry out a national search for a head coach.

"We believe there is potential for a program here that can finish in the upper half of this league and compete for conference titles on a yearly basis," he said in announcing the non-renewal of Korn's contract. "Beginning today, we will conduct a nationwide search for the next basketball coach here at Southeast, and will do it as quickly and efficiently as possible."

Back in 2025, the conclusions from the NCAA also found that Korn knew about impermissable benefits that were handed out to four current players -- center Brad Hayes and guards Andre Craig, Ryan Strong, and Rick Smith. These benefits were eventually found out to be unapproved meals. Hayes and Craig were still high school recruits at the time.

Smith, a senior during the 2024-2025 season, was also provided a small amount of cash in the form of gas money for an unscheduled trip home to take care of a family matter during that season; which despite good intentions, is not allowed per NCAA regulations. The staffer that was named as the alleged provider of the cash was McMahon, who had been on administrative leave until his resignation. A whistleblower in the department came forward to kick off the investigation; it is unclear who that staffer is, or whether they are still employed at the university.
3manweave

The Interview

Postby 3manweave » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:03 pm

[Prospective coaching hire and AD P.D. Quick in interview setting]

"You know, there's some talk that the kid you brought to North Texas last year, the four-star kid...there was some funny business going on there. Got anything you want to confess?"

"If you're referring to Grant Buckner, that recruitment was above board...trust me, we didn't have the kind of clout there to pull that off, even if we wanted to."

"Look, here's the sitch -- we can't afford any more bad news, bad press. I need assurances that this thing isn't going to blow up in our faces. I just took this job, I can't have a scandal this early on. I know you can't too. We don't play in a big conference, but the NCAA tends to not look kindly on the small fry schools trying any shenanigans."

"I also need some assurances, as well. Nothing shorter than a four-year deal so I can hit the trail. I also want full control over my staff. I'll put you in touch with my agent who can hammer out the finer details, but that's what I'm looking for."

*long pause*

"You should know that the two assistants currently on staff are guaranteed financially through next season. You can them, we owe them their full salary, plus whoever you hire to replace them. It's going to take weeks to figure out some of these assistant contracts and how they're structured. I'll tell you what -- I'll bump you 10% per annum for four years on the condition you have to keep the two assistants. You're free to hire who you want for the other spot. Whaddya say?"

*another long pause*

"You have a deal. Let me give you Paul's number, and you can get in touch with him to get the details worked out."
3manweave

Re: Turning Over A New Leaf

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 pm

Looks like you have a big job ahead to turn tings around for the Redhawks. Nice start on the dynasty story. Good to see a new dynasty thread.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

SEMO Hires Greenleaf As Head Coach

Postby 3manweave » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 pm

--April 16th, 2026--

Just a week after announcing a nationwide search for a head coach, Southeast AD P.D. Quick has agreed in principle to hire a new head basketball coach in Missouri native Travis Greenleaf, 43, a former standout guard at Northwest Missouri State in Maryville, Mo. This is his first head coaching position, after spending the last five years as an assistant at three different stops -- one season at Wichita State (2021-22), two at Missouri (2022-24), and then the last two years (2024-26) as the top lieutenant to Grant McCasland at North Texas.

He signed a four-year contract with the school, though the financial terms were not disclosed. Prior to his coaching tenure, he coached high school basketball from 2015 through 2019, taking a year off during the coronavirus pandemic in 2020, working with other prospective collegiate basketball players privately in his hometown of Kansas City, Mo. He got into coaching after seven years of working for State Street, a white-shoe financial firm in Kansas City, out of college after graduating in 2007. He left NWMSU 21st all-time in scoring, 19th in rebounds, 14th in steals, and 26th in assists.

He brings a reputation as a solid recruiter with ties to the state and outlying areas, having landed 2023-24 SEC Freshman of the Year Jimmie Howard at Mizzou, making the NCAA Tournament both seasons in Columbia. That 2023 class for the Tigers was a top-25 group nationally, with four-star center Speedy Johnson and three-star forward Mario McCullough also in that group. McCullough was named first-team All-SEC as a junior last season, averaging a league-best 19.6 PPG and 4.8 RPG. For the Mean Green last season, he also brought in forward Grant Buckner, a 247Sports four-star composite recruit, to North Texas, making him the highest rated recruit to ever sign with the C-USA school.

In his only season on the bench in Wichita, he helped bring in a top-60 class with head coach Isaac Brown, with center Tony Nilson, forward Charles Dench, and guard Caswell Long all ranking in the top 250 players nationally. That season also saw the Shockers make the NCAA Tournament as an 11-seed, falling to 6-seed Ohio State 69-62.
3manweave

Travis Greenleaf, Head Coach

Postby 3manweave » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm

--April 19th, 2026--

Today was the first meeting with the returning coaches on staff, and then tomorrow I'm meeting with the returning players. I don't know what the heck to expect. I've never done this before. Am I ready?

With low expectations, the meeting with the coaches went fairly well. Both are young (Keith Pickens is 36, Dustin Yoder just a few years older at 38), and appear to be pretty energetic and genuinely warm individuals. However, they're remnants of the past regime, and I'd sooner fire them, but if I want any sort of budget for recruiting, they have to stick around for at least another year after this one. So, I'm going to play along.

As far as the opening on my staff, I've made a few calls to guys I've met along the way -- but would they be willing to leave good situations (and good pay) for an unknown? Going to have to think outside the box, here.

Gotta go, the phone's ringing...
3manweave

Landon Wallace, SEMO verbal commitment from Bowman, N.D.

Postby 3manweave » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 pm

--April 26th, 2026--

My parents and I hosted the new coach, coach Greenleaf, to get an idea of what he's all about before I decided whether or not to honor my commitment to the school. For dinner, we kicked it pretty casual with some pizza and salad from the local joint in town.

First off, he's pretty short on actual collegiate experience, but he's a pretty engaging person. He wants a roster that gets up and down the court, and score a lot of points. In addition, he noted that the NCAA investigation is over, and they're behind the worst of the punishment, so there shouldn't be any fear of missing any postseason possibilities. However, he looks like someone that would be doing my parents' taxes instead of coaching basketball. I mean, would you look at the guy??

Mom and Dad have been extremely supportive of me getting far away from home; there's nothing to do here in North Dakota, or basically, South Canada. When I visited Southeast back in September, I really enjoyed the area as it was a small town-like place that reminds me of Bowman.

All that being said, I'm still not ready to sign just yet -- I decided to wait a few more days to let the visit sink in. I really, really liked the previous staff, and there's a lot of uncertainty with a new head man in charge. I connected pretty closely with coach McMahon, who was the guy pegged in the investigation. Just for the record, I didn't accept anything from him, nor was it offered.
3manweave

2026-27 Coaching Staff & Roster Announced

Postby 3manweave » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 pm

--May 31st, 2026--

Southeast head coach Travis Greenleaf has formally completed his coaching staff for the 2026-27 season; announcing the hiring of former Loyola (MD), Wake Forest, and Denver University assistant Dan Ficke. Ficke joins holdovers Keith Pickens and Dustin Yoder; along with Director of Basketball Ops Shane Nutting, and Director of Basketball Athletic Performance Jorge Hernandez, who joined Greenleaf from Wichita State and North Texas, respectively.

Southeast 2026-27 Coaching Staff
Head Coach: Travis Greenleaf (0-0, 1st Year)
Associate Head Coach: Keith Pickens
Assistant Coach: Dustin Yoder
Assistant Coach: Dan Ficke
Basketball Ops: Shane Nutting

2026-27 Redhawks Roster
SR 2 G Ryan Strong, 6-3, 190, New Lenox, IL (SIU-Edwardsville)
SO 3 G Andre Craig, 6-2, 180, Tahlequah, OK (Sequoyah)
SR 11 G Josh Dyer, 6-2, 165, Woodward, IA (Woodward-Granger)
JR 20 G Nate Wynn, 6-1, 182, Springfield, MO (Glendale HS)
SO 21 F Damion Roma, 6-7, 195, Springfield, MO (Kickapoo HS)
JR 23 F D.J. Williams, 6-6, 205, Unionville, MO (Putnam Co. HS)
SR 24 Lynn Thornton*, 6-2, 190, Kansas City, MO (Center HS)
SR 25 Bryce Pleick, 6-6, 200, Jackson, MO (Jackson HS)
SO 32 Michael Oliver, 6-6, 239, Clinton, OK (Clinton HS)
JR 35 Roy Wells, 6-1, 192, Aurora, IL (Marimon Academy)
SR 44 Seneca Myers, 6-8, 198, Kansas City, MO (Park Hill HS)
FR 45 Landon Wallace, 6-7, 220, Bowman, ND (Bowman HS)
JR 50 Syniker Andrews, 6-7, 260, Lapel, IN (IUPUI)
SO 52 Brad Hayes, 6-8, 240, St. Joseph, MO (Benton HS)
SR 54 Jon Call*, 6-6, 228, Hillsboro, MO (Hillsboro HS)

* denotes walk-on
3manweave

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports