SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:53 pm

Dec. 13, 2029: #10 ranked Providence Friars (6-0) vs #6 ranked Boston College Eagles (6-1) at Silvio O. Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, MA

3rd Assistant Coach Jeremy Anderson (scouting)

Another very tough opponent and again we’re the underdog. Hopefully our home court advantage will give us a chance against the Friars who are led by freshman phenom SG Zack Watkins who is averaging a formidable 35.3 ppg and 7.3 rpg. Another freshman, PG Moses Adams is averaging 21.7 ppg and 6.7 apg. Watkins was the #2 ranked recruit and Adams wasn’t far behind as the #9 ranked recruit last season. An amazing recruiting class. Providence is averaging 89.5 ppg (best in the country) and only giving up 61.7 ppg (30th best) while pulling down 36.3 rpg (12th best), dishing out 21.0 apg (7th best), and getting 6.7 bpg (6th best). Because Watkins and Adams are scoring so prolifically and combine to shoot 60% of the Friars FG’s, no one else on the team has a high scoring average, including Omari Aura, Coach Aura’s son. He’s started every game at SF but is averaging just 5.5 ppg.

But…we’re a better team than the Friars have thus far faced this season. We can’t expect to stop Watkins and Adams, but hopefully can keep them from breaking out while avoiding our starting guards getting into deep foul trouble and focus on dominating inside. Glen Robinson is a top-flight defender. We typically have him subbing in at SF and SG. But against Providence we’re not going to play Glen at SF as we usually do, so that we can dedicate him to subbing at both SG and PG in relief of Corey Graham and Bobby Grannum to try to limit Watkins and Adams. We’ll also start the game playing man-to-man defense 100% of the time since playing zone might let Watkins and Adams get free too much. If we execute all that, I believe we’ll have a good chance of winning this tough non-conference rival game. Of course it would definitely help if we can get Watkins and Adams into foul trouble.

Damn! Adams hits a jumper on Providence first possession and even while double-teamed, Watkins sinks a 3 on their next possession. The Friars hit just 5 of 15 FG’s, but 4 of those from beyond the arc while we made just 1 of 12 FG’s and we fall behind 16-4 after 8 minutes of play. Watkins picks up his 2nd foul with 11:20 to go so fortunately goes to the bench, but not before scoring 8 points. Hitting just 2 of 14 FG’s and 4 of 10 FT’s, we fall behind 26-9. Our offense finally comes out its slumber and led by SG Corey Graham and PF Danny Toliver we cut the Friars’ lead to 6 points before fading in the final few minutes of the half to trail 39-30 at the break. Adams and Watkins scored 26 of the Friars’ 39 points. We hit just 30% of our FG’s and 25% of our 3’s. Providence dominated the boards 23-15. We had no points in the paint, no 2nd chance points, and no fast break points. Coach Aura blisters the guys in the locker room.

Midway through the 2nd half we’re still only hitting about 30% of our shots and we trail 61-43. Miss after miss and miss. Bad shooting is a disease infecting our entire team. We get trounced 76-55. We were outshot 43% to 32%, we hit just 13% of our 3’s, we were out-rebounded 39-31. We were called for 19 fouls while Providence was called for just 12. That resulted in the Friars going to the line 11 more times than us.

We “held” Zack Watkins to 25 points and Moses Adams to 18 points. Out only player to score in double figures was SG Corey Graham and he had just 12 points and he hit just 3 of 10 FGA’s and missed all 5 of his 3PA’s.

Providence now has won both games against us since they became our non-conference rival. Grumble, grumble, grumble.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:05 pm

You should never lose to Provocation College, as we call them at UConn. Historically, both their men's and women's teams are noted for dirty, chippy play. Been true since I was an undergrad at UConn, right about the time Naismith invented the game.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:56 pm

Fred Aura

After our loss to Providence, walk-on PG Ramond Keep was complaining to several teammates saying he should be playing rather than Bobby Grannum and that was because I disliked him. I called him into my office and told him his attitude was lousy and that he needed to shape up. He took that poorly and came back at me. That earned him a suspension. That upset him further with me…he seems to have quite a big chip on his shoulder.

Ramond is a pretty good player for a walk-on, but there’s no way he’s going to get much playing time since I’m having a tough time splitting the playing time at PG up amongst Bobby Grannum, Rashon Thorn, and Glen Robinson. If Ramond’s poor attitude continues, I’ll just cut him. Tough enough putting up with attitude problems with a scholarship player, but absolutely no need to have to deal with it with a walk-on.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm

I've dumped scholarship guys for less.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:53 am

Ramond Keep

In June a friend let me know that the Eagles had a vacant walk-on slot on their basketball team this season. I played high school and JC ball before coming to Boston College. I decided that I might as well try out for the spot. I knew it would only be for a year since I’m a senior. But hey, since the Eagles are now a good team, it would be a way for me to be part of March Madness and tell my kids and grandkids that I was in the NCAA Tournament.

So Coach Fed and his staff selected me to be on the team and in October I began practicing with the team. I was a good high school and JC player and got right back into it. Not to pat myself on the back, but I can keep up with the other PG’s on this team. When the starting lineups were set, I wasn’t surprised that Bobby Grannum was the Guy. Hell, he came to BC with all kind of recruiting hoopla. So, OK, I wasn’t uptight about not being a starter. But I tell ya, I’m every bit the player Rashon Thorn is. Let’s just be honest about things, I’m better. So I figured I would be subbing in for Grannum. Well, I soon found out that wasn’t happening. Coach Fed kept throwing Rashon (and sometimes Glen Robinson or Corey Graham) in at the point when Grannum got fatigued or into foul trouble. What’s up with that? We’ve now played 10 games and I’ve played in just one blowout and for all of 2 freakin’ minutes!

And in the past two games (which we lost badly), Grannum pretty much sucked. So after we got our butts kicked the second time, I have to admit, I lost it. I let it be known that I should have been out there on the court instead of Grannum and it was because Coach Fed didn’t like me that I wasn’t out there helping the team. Yeah, maybe I shouldn’t have been so vocal, but it’s the truth.

Then some teammate or teammates let the coaching staff know about what I said. That earned me a trip into Coach Fed’s inner sanctum. He kicked my butt…and that just was totally unfair. I have a right to my own freakin’ opinions and that’s what I told him. Rather than hearing me out, he just took the easy route and laid a suspension on me. Let me tell ya, my opinion of him went way down. I mean having a suspension is really not even a penalty. Without the suspension all I’m doing is working my butt off every day at practice and then sitting on my butt for the entire 40 minutes of every freakin’ game and supposed to be a cheerleader from the bench. So now I can play video games during all that time this week. I guess Coach Fed figures a suspension will shut me up. Well I’m not wired that way…if I got something to say, I’ll damn well say it. And let me tell you, I’m not happy with the teammates who went tattling to the coaches after hearing me the other night. Don’t go crying to daddy for God’s sake. When I find out who it was, you better believe that I’ll be giving them an earful. Don’t go selling your teammates out, buddy-boys. And if they don’t like that, we can take it outside. I’ve never backed down from getting into scraps.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:38 am

Dec. 20, 2029: Louisiana State Tigers (6-4) vs #11 ranked Boston College Eagles (8-2) at Silvio O. Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, MA

WEEI Radio Game Broadcast (excerpts)

*After winning their first 8 games this season, the Eagles have looked terrible in the last 2 games. They’ve dropped from 6th to 11th in the polls. They need to rally their spirits and get back on track as conference play nears.
*While it’s true that both losses were to very good ranked teams, a 21 point loss at home is cause for concern.
*LSU’s losses have been to Louisville, #16 ranked Wisconsin, Saint Louis, and Georgetown.
*Starting tonight for the hometown Boston College Eagles are: Bobby Grannum at PG, Corey Graham at SG, Darius Hein at SF, Danny Toliver at PF, and Courtland Reese at C.
*Corey Graham drills a 3 to put the Eagles on top 18-11 with 12:40 remaining in the half. Graham has hit 4 of 5 shot and has 10 points.
*Grannum whips the ball over to Minahan. Minaham passes across the lane to Glen Robinson. Robinson drives and pulls up to the left of the foul line. His 16 footer jumper drops through to make it 24-11 in favor of the Eagles. LSU calls a time out with 11:26 to go in the half. BC has now hit 11 of their 16 shots.
*Bobby Grannum called for a reach in foul. That’s 2 on Grannum. That’ll bring in Rashon Thorn to replace Grannum.
*The fouls are mounting up on BC. That’s 2 apiece on BC’s PG’s Grannum, Robinson, and Thorn.
*Good pass by Moss into Tim Cotton. Cotton’s 14 footer on the right edge of the lane and Cottom puts up a contested shot that rolls around and falls through. Its good making it 43-28.
*The half ends. Boston College in charge with a 48-30 lead. The Eagles knocked down 59% of their shots while holding the Tigers’ shooting to just 25%. BC’s offense was led by Corey Graham’s 12 points and C Courtland Reese who scored 10.
*The Eagles inbound the ball to start the 2nd half. Grannum shoots the ball over to Graham who pops in another shot to give BC a 20 point lead.
*BC’s reserves playing some solid defense. LSU is having a difficult time scoring.
*Grannum drives then kicks the ball back to Gardner who’s free at the line…his shot settles cleanly through the hoop to make it 69-44 with 5 minutes left in the game.
*That’s the end of the game. The final score is Boston College-81, LSU-59. The Eagles dominated all aspects of the game.
*C Courtland Reese was high point man with 22 points. SG Corey Graham tossed in 14 points. C Tim Cotton dropped in 12 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:45 pm

Boston College Chronicle

ACC PLAY BEGINS

By Kinsey Ramsey

This Wednesday Boston College will travel to Syracuse to take on the Orange to kick off their 2029-2030 ACC schedule. The Eagles will be defending the ACC crown they won last season.

The 15 ACC teams were very successful during the pre-conference part of this season with 124 wins compared to 33 losses. That has resulted in 3 ACC teams in the Top 5 in both polls (Duke is #2, Notre Dame is 3rd, and Virginia is 4th) with Florida State at #9, Virginia at #13, and Boston College at #14 in the Media Poll and #17 in the Coaches Poll. 4 ACC teams are in the Top 10 in the NET Rankings (Duke is 4th, Boston College is 6th, North Carolina is 7th, and Notre Dame is 9th).

Here’s the pre-conference records for each ACC team:

Notre Dame: 11-0, 1.000
Florida State: 11-0, 1.000
Duke: 11-1, .917
North Carolina St.: 10-1, .909
North Carolina: 10-1, .909
Virginia: 10-2, .833
Boston College: 9-2, .818
Virginia: 7-2, .778
Pittsburgh: 7-2, .778
Clemson, 8-3, .727
Miami (FL): 8-3, .727
Georgia Tech: 6-3, .667
Wake Forest: 6-3, .667
Syracuse: 5-5, .500
Louisville: 4-5, .444

When asked about BC’s chances this season, Coach Aura replied, “I believe that overall the quality of the teams in the ACC is even better this season than it’s been previously. We’re going to be challenged every time we go out onto the court. I really think that at least half the teams have the talent to intensely challenge for the conference title. So all we can do is prepare as best we can for every game and then never take any other team for granted. Our losses to Oregon and Providence have shown our players that they need to step up their games to contend in our upcoming games against ACC teams.”

The top scorers within the ACC thus far this season are: Duke’s Trent Coleman-22.3 ppg; Pittsburgh’s Marques Mohr-19.3 ppg; Virginia Tech’s Tony Harrington-18.1 ppg; Notre Dame’s Jay Butler-17.4 ppg; and Syracuse’s George Plowman-16.2 ppg. The top two are freshmen. BC’s Corey Graham is 12th with 13.0 ppg.

Leading ACC rebounders are: Duke’s Brian Taylor-10.4 rpg; Syracuse’s George Plowman-10.1 rpg; Virginia’s Seth Wallac-9.9 rpg; Virginia Tech’s Merv Hunter-9.4 rpg; and Pittsburgh’s Marques Mohr-8.9. BC’s Courtland Reese is 10th with 7.5 rpg.

Boston College’s Bobby Grannum is the 2nd best within the ACC in assists with 6.5 apg. Virginia Tech’s Darius Rose is just ahead of him with 6.8 apg.

Aura said, “During pre-conference play we were able to stabilize our starting 5 with Bobby Grannum at PG, Corey Graham at SG, Darius Hein at SF, Danny Toliver at PF, and Courtland Reese at C. Glen Robinson has developed into a very good 6th man by performing strongly at SF, SG, and PG. Darius (Hein) had a slow start but has steadily become very proficient as we’ve worked our way through the season.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:06 pm

Dec. 28, 2029: #14 ranked Boston College (9-2, 0-0) vs Syracuse Orange (6-5, 1-0) at Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY

Father Benedict Perry

This is the second straight year that I’ve accompanied the team to Syracuse. The Syracuse area is deep in snow right now. Fortunately they’ve done a pretty good job of clearing the main roads, but they’re well-prepared for snow removal throughout upper New York state.

Again I’m able to attend the game with two priests I knew when I was at the diocese in Syracuse several years ago. Father Brad is a Syracuse fan while Father Eric grew up in Boston, so he’s a BC fan. The game will go quickly since there is a lot of ribbing and some occasional good-natured taunting of the opposing teams.

Coach Aura told me that Syracuse has two players who are scoring well, PF George Plowman and SG Kevin Edmond so they will try shutting them down.

BC gets first blood when PF Danny Toliver intercepts a Syracuse pass and upcourts the ball quickly to a streaking Bobby Grannum for a dunk. On the Eagles’ next possession, Grannum sinks a beautiful 3-pointer to make it 5-0. A few minutes later Toliver and Grannum team up for twice again for steals and breakaway buckets. Grannum hits another 3 to make it 14-6 and Grannum has scored all 14 of BC’s points. The Eagles use some hot shooting, control of the boards, and a steady defense to take a commanding 46-26 halftime lead.

Syracuse came out in the 2nd half and trimmed the lead to 11 points after 5 minutes of play. BC just could not hit any shots and their lead was down to just 9 points with 5 minutes left. The Eagles finally figured out where the basket was and scored 6 points in the next minute which was the beginning of a 20-4 run to conclude the game. The final score was 80-55 in favor of the Eagles.

PG Bobby Grannum had a big game with 26 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 blocks. SF/SG Glen Robinson hit 7 of 10 FG’s including 6 of 9 from 3-point range and scored 23 points. C Courtland Reese had a double-double, scoring 13 points and hauling down 10 boards.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:50 am

Janeka Aura

Malik is in his senior year at Boston College High School. After his father talked with him back in March, his attitude gradually improved. His grades still aren’t stellar, but he’s brought them up to a 3.1. He’s the star of his high school basketball team. He’s their top scorer and also is a good rebounder and gets a lot of assists. He’s always been a very good player but has grown to 6’5” in height and developed the past 2 years into what the scouting reports term a 5-star recruit. So he’s been heavily recruited. He made a decision a few months ago but held off signing an Letter of Intent until Christmas day. He said that was his Christmas present to himself. So, while he wanted it all to be hush-hush before signing an LOI, now he’s said we can talk to others about his decision.

He's selected Georgetown. Their starting PG and SG are graduating after this season, so he feels he has a good chance to start as a freshman. Fred has confirmed to me that he’s pretty certain Malik will be an immediate starter. Malik also chose Georgetown because the Hoyas are having a good year this season. Presently they are 9 and 3 with 2 of those losses being to highly ranked teams in the polls. The team has a long history of NCAA appearances, but has only been able to go to the NIT and CBI the past 3 seasons. Malik and Fred both agree that the Hoyas are likely to return to the NCAA tournament this season and their future looks bright. But I think another reason Malik chose Georgetown is that he will then be able to go up against his brother since both Georgetown and Providence are in the Big East Conference. Malik also likes the Washington, DC area and really enjoyed his visit to the campus this past summer and felt he’d fit in well with the players on the team and liked the coaches.

One of the colleges that was working the hardest to land Malik was Notre Dame. Their head coach seemed to be making weekly calls to Malik and their recruiting coach came to a lot of Malik’s games. While Fred stayed completely out of Malik’s decision-making, I think Fred was happy Malik didn’t pick the Fighting Irish and make Notre Dame an even stronger opponent for Boston College in the ACC.

Omari’s been giving Malik a hard time, saying Georgetown will not only be behind Providence in the Big East but also Creighton. But Omari is also is actually supportive of his brother’s choice.

While I understood Malik wanted to be out on his own and away from Boston and the family, I was hoping he’d pick a school that was closer so we could get to more of his games. Since I’m not a big fan of flying and going through airports, I’ll just get used to taking Amtrak’s Acela train between Boston and DC. Devany, who is a 6th grader now, said she’s going to enjoy being an “only child” at home, but I think she’ll be sorry to have both of her brothers away at college.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 pm

Dec. 30, 2029: #4 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels (11-1, 1-0) vs #14 ranked Boston College Eagles (10-2, 1-0) at Silvio O. Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, MA

Andrea Thorsen, WHDH sports reporter (Notes taken to create 11 pm sports report about game)

North Carolina’s back as one of the strongest members of the ACC after landing two of the top recruits last season. And the two have lived up to the hype. PF Morris Blackmon is averaging 11.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.5 spg and 2.8 bpg. C Willie Knight leads the team in scoring with 13.2 ppg and is pulling down 8.6 rpg while averaging 1.9 apg, 1.7 spg, and 1.6 bpg. The Tar Heels also have 2 seniors scoring in double figures (PG Jamie Lane with 10.4 ppg and SG Matt Goff with 10.8 ppg).

1st Half:

14:34—BC-10, NC-7—Courtland Reese tagged for 2nd foul. NC’s Blackmon and Knight already have combined for 4 blocks.
12:53—BC-15, NC-12—NC’s Knight picks up 2nd foul.
10:31—BC-17, NC-12—Defense predominating on both ends of court. Both teams shooting in low 30%’s and NC is 0 for 5 from beyond the arc.
7:37—BC-26, NC-15—BC’s Glen Robinson hits a 3 giving him 8 points.
4:42—BC-33, NC-18—BC’s Bobby Grannun sinks a 3...10 points for him. BC has hit 5 of 6 of their 3’s.
0:00—BC-42, NC-27—BC outshot NC 52% to 38% and hit 86% of their 3’s while NC hit just 27% of theirs. BC +6 in rebounding. BC top scorers—Grannum-13, Robinson-8; NC top scorers—Phillips-7, Blackmon-6.

2nd Half:

16:27—BC-46, NC-39—NC’s Knight already has scored 8 points in 2nd half. 3 fouls on BC’s Reese.
13:40—BC-55, NC-39—9-0 run by BC.
0:37—BC-75, NC-59—BC’s Rashon Thorn knocks ball loose, scoops it up and feeds it to Darius Hein for a jam. He was fouled on shot and sinks free throw for 3 point play.
0:00—BC-80, NC-62—BC hit 55% of their FG’s and 9 of 12 of their 3’s and was +10 in rebounding. Players scoring in double figures: BC-Grannum-19 points and also had 9 assists, Reese-13 with 9 rebounds, Robinson-10 points; NC- Knight-16, Phillips-11.

Coach Aura: “Great team effort throughout the entire game. Good offense but defense was the key to our winning the game.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports