SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:51 am

Cal Poly Mustangs (7-2, 0-0) @ UC Irvine Anteaters (7-2, 0-0)

Eugene Wallace, 1st Assistant Coach

4 turnovers in the first 3 minutes put us down 5-0. We got back into the game even though we turned the ball over 10 times in 8 minutes. We got our first lead at 13-12 with 10:19 remaining. By the end of the half, we’d made 17 turnovers. I was amazed we only trailed by 5 points at 32-27.

Our turnoveritis continued in the 2nd half. Coach Aura was so upset by it that he took it out on the refs and got assessed a technical. We kept falling behind but each time we'd would catch up. With 3:21 to play we led 61-60. Bryan Taylor picked off a pass and fired a beauty of a pass upcourt to a streaking Ryan Jackson who threw down a jam to up our lead to 3 with 2 minutes remaining. Pretty damned good play by 2 freshmen...both have been giving us more than we expected when the season started. The Anteaters sunk two free throws to cut our lead to a single point. Our 26th turnover with 52 seconds remaining fortunately led not to a score by UC Irvine, but to a turnover by the Anteaters. After we missed an ill-timed and off-balance shot, Curtis Pearson grabbed the offensive rebound and put back up a quick, short jumper that fell through to give us a 3 point cushion with 32 seconds on the clock. Aki Mosley then picked off a pass and made a nice upcourt pass to Donald Brown for a dunk. UC Irvine missed a shot. We got the rebound and the Anteaters fouled. Mosley made one free throw to seal a 68-62 road victory. So a good start in conference play. Our horrendous inability to protect the ball was offset by our hitting 51% of our FGA’s while holding the Anteaters’ shooting to just 38% and our being +10 in rebounds.

PG Aki Mosley had 13 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. SF Donald Brown also scored 13 points plus picked off 4 rebounds. C Curtis Pearson hit for 12 points and also had 9 boards. PF/C Don Seals had 10 points and 9 rebounds.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:44 am

UC San Diego Tritons (8-2, 1-0) @ (8-2, 1-0) Cal Poly Mustangs

Connie Muldoon, fan

My husband Terry and I graduated from Cal Poly. We stayed in the area since it’s a great place to bring up a family. Terry’s favorite player is Don Seals and he’s looking forward to see the matchup between Seals and UC San Diego’s best player, DeMarlo Graham who is averaging 15.6 ppg and 7.8 rpg. Graham is an inch taller and 40 pounds heavier than Seals. Graham has topped the Tritons in rebounding in 9 of their 10 games this season. The Tritons are a good shooting team, so it’s important the Mustangs don’t make a bunch of turnovers like they did against UC Irvine in their conference opener.

The Mustangs came out firing bullets, hitting 5 of their first 6 shots to jump out to a 12-0 lead in the first 2-1/2 minutes. We all were pretty excited. UC San Diego came back to cut the lead to 16-11 with 13 minutes left in the half. The Tritons stayed close but could never get as close again in the first half which ended with Cal Poly holding a 36-28 lead. UC San Diego’s PF DeMarlo Graham had made just 3 points (all scored on FT’s) and garnered 3 rebounds whereas the Mustangs’ Don Seals had 7 points and 3 rebounds. All 9 of the Mustangs’ players who had gotten into the game had scored.

Cal Poly got off to a quick start again by scoring the first 7 points of the 2nd half, thus increasing their lead to 15. But Graham began scoring for the Tritons and at the midpoint of the 2nd half, Cal Poly’s lead had shrunk to 52-46. I gotta say I was getting real nervous. Terry wlll never admit it, but I think he was too. That was as close as UC San Diego got, though. Cal Poly walked off the court with a 72-64 win to improve their conference record to 2-0.

SF Donald Brown had a strong game with 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 steals. SG Terrell Alexander also scored 12 plus had 3 rebounds and 4 assists. PF/C Don Seals scored 11 and C Curtis Pearson had a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Cal Poly’s PG’s, Aki Mosley and Bryan Taylor had 9 and 8 points, respectively. The Tritons’ DeMarlo Graham used his bulk and came on strong in the 2nd half to finish with 17 points and 9 boards.

Patrick Murphy, Athletic Trainer

Don Seals (sore hip) and Bryan Taylor (sore knee) came down with minor injuries towards the end of the game. While both should be able to play in our next game, their durability is likely to be compromised.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:57 am

Cal Poly Mustangs (9-2, 2-0) @ Cal State Northridge Matadors (4-8, 1-1)

PG Michael Turner (Senior walk-on)

Last year I got to play in most of the games since Coach Fed needed someone to fill in when Aki Mosley needed a breather. This year Coach Fed has freshman Bryan Taylor spelling Aki. I’ve only gotten into 5 of our 11 games and in those 5 games I’ve been on the floor just 3.4 mpg. But I can’t complain. I understand how it is for walk-ons.

I think we’re a better team than the Matadors, but playing them on their court is sure to make things difficult. SG Tommy Herron has hit a very high percentage of his shots so Coach Fed wants us to contain him.

Even though the game was extremely close in the first half, the Matadors held a small lead for most of the half. But we pulled ahead in the final few minutes and led by 2 at the break. In the 2nd half we were deadly from beyond the arc and that allowed us to move out to a 21 point lead. We finished with a 78-65 victory, having hit 52% of our FG’s and knocking down 13 of 15 of our 3’s.

PF Don Seals scored 22, PF Aki Mosley and SG Terrell Alexander both put in 13 points, and C Curtis Pearson had 8 points and 10 boards. I actually got into the game and scored 3 points in 2 minutes of play. We totally shut down CSU Northridge’s SG Tommy Herron…he scored just 2 points even though he played 33 minutes.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:04 am

Long Beach State 49ers (3-10, 1-3) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (10-2, 3-0)

Sports Report within the 11 pm News on KSBO-CD tv, SLO

Cal Poly scored the first 10 points of the game and led 35-11 at the midpoint of the first half. Their dominance of the 49ers continued with the Mustangs sporting a 47-21 advantage at halftime.

With Coach Aura subbing liberally throughout the 2nd half, the Mustangs never let Long Beach State make any serious runs. Cal Poly obliterated the 49ers 78-53. The Mustangs win kept them locked in a tie for 1st place with UC Santa Barbara in the Big West Conference.

Reserve forward Richard Lawson led the onslaught by Cal Poly, scoring 20 points. Lawson, a JC transfer this year, also had 5 rebounds and 3 assists to finish the strongest game of his short career at Cal Poly. PF Derrick LaLane added 11 points and had 10 rebounds to record a double-double.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:27 pm

Cal State Fullerton Titans (6-7, 2-2) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (11-2, 4-0)

Tariq Meadows, High School Student

I’m a junior at Pioneer Valley High School in Santa Maria, California. My buddy Teesun Ventry and I decided to drive up to San Luis Obispo so we could attend a Mustangs game. We both are starters on our high school basketball team. I’d never really considered going to Cal Poly, but the team seems to be getting better and better. I was planning (well maybe, hoping) to go to a college in Oregon or Washington, but my parents have been encouraging me to look at schools within an hour or two of our home. I still think I’d prefer to get away to some place else, but Cal Poly has a good reputation academically and now that their team is decent, maybe it’s worth considering. Teesun said he was going to set up our meeting with Coach Aura, but he didn’t do it (that was a big letdown for me). So we just walked around the campus and are going to watch the game from the stands. The campus was OK and there were some real hotties walking around.

I like the way the Mustangs run their warmups and the music that was playing at that time. Not only did it get the team ready to play but got them psyched up as well. I wish our high school team did something like that.

Coach Aura was easy to see…he came in wearing a fedora as has been his trademark throughout his coaching career. I wonder if he wears it cuz he’s going bald. Teesun doesn’t think that’s the case, but I do. He didn’t take it off so no way I could know for sure (I guess he must have during the national anthem, but I was looking at the flag and not him then). I think it’s cool that his players call him Coach Fed because of his trademark hat.

Mott Athletic Center is nothing special, but there’s a pretty big crowd. The cheerleaders are bitchin’. “Musty”, the Cal Poly mascot with a horse’s head, is pretty dorky.

John McGadney, Cal State Fullerton’s senior SF, broke his elbow quite a while ago and still is not back playing with the team. I saw him play last year when the Titans came to take on UC Santa Barbara…the guy was a beast. With McGadney out of action, SG Travis Johnson is now the Titans’ leading scorer averaging 14.5 ppg. His backup, Shaheen Clark, looks pretty dope…sweet looking shots during warmups. Cal Poly’s Don Seals is averaging 14.4 ppg and has been the team’s big guy inside for a couple years…he looked like a smooth player, but I thought Terrell Alexander (I guess they call him T-Man) looked to be the team’s best shooter. Rumor has it that some of the freshmen on the Mustangs who came here thinking they’d play a lot are bummed they’re not getting many minutes. I’m not sure if that’s accurate though.

Cal Poly offense is primarily shuffle with some 5-out thrown in. On defense they shifted between m-2-m and a 2-3 zone. They pressed quite a bit….mostly just for harassment it seemed and to tire out CSU Fullerton’s guards. Our high school team mainly uses m-2-m…we throw in some zone but we suck at it.

Poly wasted no time…their two big guys (Seals and Pearson) hit back-to-back-to-back 3’s on their first three possessions and Seals knocked down a jumper on their 4th possession making it 11-1 just 2 minutes into the game. But Seals got 2 fouls called on him with 17:51 to go in the half and that sent him to the bench. Coach Fed was on the refs about that. Pearson continued to pump in points…he had 10 of the Mustangs first 15 points in the first 3 minutes of the game. Although CSU Fullerton was scoring at the line, it took them nearly 6 minutes to make their first FG. With Poly ahead 21-10, Coach Fed put in a bunch of subs since the starters were flaggin’. The subs and T-Man Alexander quickly upped the lead to 30-12. Fullerton’s coach has seen enough and called a timeout. With 11 minutes left in the half. Even though the Titans went on a small run late in the half, they still trailed badly (48-31) at halftime. C Curtis Pearson had hit all 5 of his shots (including 3 from beyond the arc) to score 13 points.

Coach Fed had kept Don Seals (with his 2 fouls) on the bench the last 17 minutes of the first half. It was good to see him back on the court to start the 2nd half. He’s just such a solid player. Mosley’s playing the point well but he's not hitting a lick. Coach Fed subbed him out early in the half. CSU Fullerton kept trying to get back into the game. They’d cut the lead to 13 or 14 points only to see Cal Poly hit some shots that would build their big lead back up. And that was the game…Cal Poly—90, Cal State Fullerton—70.

C Curtis Pearson—21 points and 6 boards; PF/SF Richard Lawson—18 points, 5 rebounds; SG Terrell Alexander—11 points; PF Don Seals—9 points, 6 boards; SF Donald Brown—8 points, 6 rebounds. For CSU Fullerton, SG Travis Jackson scored 25 points.

UC Santa Barbara also won so they’re ½ game ahead of Cal Poly for the conference lead.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:41 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (12-2, 5-0) @ Cal State Bakersfield (7-8, 2-4)

San Luis Obispo Tribune
MUSTANGS IN BARN-BURNER IN BAKERSFIELD

Cal Poly took their 5-0 conference record on the road last night to take on Cal State Bakersfield. With UC Santa Barbara getting drubbed by UC Riverside, a win by the Mustangs would put them in sole possession of 1st place in the Big West. CSU Bakersfield had been an offensive juggernaut (79.9 ppg, 3rd in nation) with C Doylan Madsen averaging 21.1 ppg and SG Larry Fields averaging 19.9 ppg…but a defensive flop this season (77.5 ppg, 347th in the nation).

CSU Bakersfield came out with their offense sizzling and went ahead 20-10 with just over 13 minutes to go in the first half. After falling behind by 13 points, the Mustangs gradually cut into the lead in the last 8 minutes of the half and finally took a 33-31 when Aki Mosley sunk 2 free throws with 3:40 remaining. The Roadrunners struck back to take a 44-39 lead at the break. CSU Bakersfield hit 61% of their shots in the first half.

The offenses of both teams continued to slug it out in the 2nd half. With 10 minutes to go the game was tied at 63-63. Cal Poly opened a small lead but the Roadrunners tied the game at 77-77 with 1:30 on the clock. After both teams were unable to score, CSU Bakersfield worked the clock down to 3 seconds and hit a shot inside. The Mustangs got the ball over midcourt and lofted up a desperation 3 that was offline. Cal State Bakersfield prevailed in a thriller by a final score of 79-77.

The Roadrunners’ SG Larry Fields led all scorers with 27 points. For the Mustangs PG Aki Mosley scored 16 and had 7 assists, PF/C Don Seals had 14 points and 5 boards, C Curtis Pearson scored 10 and grabbed 6 rebounds, and PF/SF Richard Lawson scored 10 plus pulled down 5 rebounds.

Coach Aura said, “The Roadrunners did exactly as we expected offensively. We tried several different things defensively but were just unable to shut them down. I was proud of how our guys made a contest of it. We nearly pulled off a win, but Bakersfield did a good job and their final possession to make a basket just before the shot clock expired which was like a dagger to our heart and left us so little time to try to hit a prayer.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:49 am

Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (6-9, 2-4) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (12-3, 5-1)

Dawson Fox, Hawaii Alum

It’s been a down year for the Rainbow Warriors, but we Hawaii grads get together to attend their games no matter what. SF Clay Childs has been Mr. Consistency this year and last…averaging well over 16 ppg both seasons. So I’m hoping he has a big night to carry Hawaii to an upset.

The first half was a let-down. Cal Poly’s defense definitely intimidated our guys. By the end of the half we trailed 33-21. Gonna have to get some scoring going in the 2nd half.

We shot better and had some good scoring runs in the 2nd half, but so did the Mustangs. And we had two points in the half where we could score at all. That let Cal Poly pull even further ahead and they whomped us by a final score of 74-54. Not only did they outshoot us, but they totally controlled the boards, 36-22. But Clay Childs didn’t let us down…he hit 8 of 10 FG’s including 6 of 7 of his 3-point chances to score 22 points.

The Mustangs were led by PF Don Seals who tossed in 24 points and pulled down 6 rebounds. SF Donald Brown and PG Aki Mosley both scored 12 points.

So it’s “wait til next year” for the Rainbow Warriors. Or better yet: “wait until the Mustangs come onto our home court later this season”.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:28 am

UC-Riverside Highlanders (11-5, 5-2) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (13-3, 6-1)

Rob Benchley, Athletic Director

Our team has played better this season that most people expected and with us just a half-game behind UC-Santa Barbara for the top spot in the Big West Conference, people are excited. That’s translating into more butts in the seats here at the Robert A. Mott Athletic Center, which is GREAT! We’re taking on a strong team tonight…the Highlanders are but a half-game behind us in the standings. They don’t have a big star but come at ya with an overall team effort.

The first half was a real donnybrook. Neither team could get ahead by more than 3 points and there were 18 lead changes. With both teams slugging it out, the refs whistles were active so both teams have players in foul trouble. The Highlanders edged ahead at the end of the half to lead by a score of 39-36 going into the 2nd half.

Both teams picked up their scoring in the 2nd half and the lead continued to switch back and forth. I got worried when UC Riverside went up by 7 with 6 minutes to go. But our guys slowed their offense a bit and we not only got even but overtook the Highlanders with 3 minutes to go and poured baskets in to win by a score of 91-85. We outshot the Highlanders 53% to 52% and had very small edges for turnovers and rebounds as well. All in all, it was a well-played game by both teams and our crowd loved it.

PG Aki Mosley scored 19 points and had 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals even though he played just 19 minutes. PF/C Don Seals scored 15, SG Terrell Alexander dropped in 14 points, and our bench scored 29 points with PF Derrick LaLane topping that group with 11 points.

We now have 3 straight road games (including a game against 1st place UC Santa Barbara) and 5 of our next 6 are away games. So the next 3 weeks will be a big determinant on how we do within the Big West this season.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:58 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (14-3, 7-1) @ UC Davis Aggies (7-11, 1-8)

San Luis Obispo Tribune

MUSTANGS HIT THE ROAD

The Cal Poly Mustangs began a portion of their season during which they will play all but one of the six games on the road during that 3-week period. Last night they travelled take on the UC Davis Aggies.

Led by the dynamic duo of Don Seals and Aki Mosley, the Mustangs combined a big offense with a solid defense in the first half to storm to a 46-28 halftime advantage.

The Mustangs expanded their lead to 26 points midway through the 2nd half and then held on to come away with a decisive 87-68 win over the Aggies. The Mustangs hit 58% of their FG’s, 41% of their 3’s, 100% of their FT’s and out-rebounded UC Davis 35-19.

PG Aki Mosley scored 25 and had 8 assists and PF/C Don Seals put in 24 points. C Curtis Pearson recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds plus had 4 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks. UC Davis’ SF James Edwards scored 25 points.

The win set up a battle for 1st place next week when the Mustangs meet the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos in Santa Barbara. The Gauchos are presently in first place with a 9-1 record, a half game better than the Mustangs’ 8-1 record. UC Santa Barbara has yet to lose on their home court this season. Both teams will enter the contest with 3-game win streaks on the line.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:40 am

Cal Poly Mustangs (15-3, 8-1) @ UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (14-5, 9-1)

Rob Benchley, Athletic Director

This is too big of a game to miss, so I took the 1-1/2 hour drive sound on US101. The Gauchos have won between 19 and 25 games each of the past 8 seasons and have finished in the top 3 of the Big West standings each of those years. Beating them on their court would be a huge upset victory for us. All 5 starters for the Gauches are averaging in double figures, led by PF Tyler Brown’s 14.8 ppg. They also have a very deep bench. We’ll need all our guys playing at the top of their game to have a chance in this game.

We got to a good start. Playing strong defensively we led 17-6 after the first 10 minutes of play. But then the Gauchos began to eat into our lead as our offense stalled and drew within a single point 3 minutes later. By the end of the half UC Santa Barbara was ahead 34-32. Turnovers bit us in the butt…13 by us compared to just 5 by the Gauchos.

The Gauchos began the 2nd half with a 9-2 run, putting us 9 points down. Turnovers continued to bedevil us and we trailed by as much as 14. We made an effort to comeback late in the game but couldn’t get close enough to be a real thread. We lost 71-62. The 24 turnovers gave the Gauchos just too many chances even though we hit a higher percentage of our shots and held a 38-26 rebounding advantage. Disappointing but although my hopes were dashed, it was actually a pretty good effort overall by the team...taking on the Gauchos on their home court is a tall mountain to scale. We’re now 1-1/2 games behind UC Santa Barbara, but still alone in 2nd place.

SF/PF Richard Lawson scored 13 points plus grabbed 9 rebounds and dished out 3 assists. C Curtis Pearson had 11 points, 8 boards, and 3 blocks. PF/C Don Seals scored 10.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports