SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:09 pm

Boston Herald

NCAA TOURNAMENT RESULTS FOR ACC TEAMS

Play-in Game

North Carolina—73, Loyola (Illinois)—67 (Close game all the way; 4 NC starters scored in double figures)

Round 1

Pittsburgh—78, Dayton—65 (Pittsburgh led by as much as 22 points and their C Matt Swanson scored 28 points)

North Carolina—69, Duke—63 (Duke’s late season collapse continued; NC hit 10 of 23 from 3 pt distance)

Clemson—79, Bellarmine—67 (The Tigers took over late in the 1st half; Clemson’s PG Eric Hunter scored 17 but Bellarmine’s PG Jeff Henson dropped in 27 points)

Coppin State—82, North Carolina State—65 (NC State fell apart in the 2nd half and the Wolfpack game up 30 points to Coppin State’s SG Troy White)

UCONN—94, Virginia—89 (18 lead changes and 5 ties; UCONN pulled ahead in the final 2 minutes; Virginia’s SF Rod Marvray scored 23 and he grabbed 8 rebounds)

Notre Dame—79, Southern—72 (The Fighting Irish held a small lead most of the game; SF John Grace had 20 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 5 steals and a block)

#1 seed, #8 ranked Boston College Eagles (24-8) vs #16 seed West Virginia Mountaineers (19-14)

The Mountaineers had a tough time in the Big 12 regular season, finishing with just an 8-10 record but during the season they played ranked teams 8 times and won 3 of those games, so they’re no pushover. What’s more, they won the Big 12 Tournament, winning 4 straight close games! West Virginia’s offense and defense are both basically average but they’ve not been a strong rebounding team, so BC needs to dominate the boards.

BC scored the first 9 points by holding the Mountaineers scoreless for 4 minutes. West Virginia fought back to take a 20-18 lead with 7-1/2 minutes to go in the half. The Eagles then went on a 17-4 run and finished the half ahead 39-27. BC limited West Virginia’s shooting to 35% and forced 10 turnovers. The Eagles onslaught continued in the 2nd half and after just 5-1/2 minutes their lead had ballooned to 21 points. They then eased back and finished with a 76-65 victory. The biggest difference in the game was a 19-6 turnover advantage held by Boston College.

C Tim Cotton scored 14 points, SG Corey Graham had 13 points, and C Ben Schau added 10 points. PG Bobby Grannum had 8 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals and a block.
Last edited by PointGuard on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:25 pm

Boston Herald

Round 2

Illinois—78, Pittsburgh—62 (Except for early in the game, Illinois was in control; 23 turnovers by Pittsburgh)

Baylor-91, Clemson—62 (Baylor took an early lead and then steadily increased it the entire way; Clemson’s C Samuel Lewis scored 24 points)

North Carolina—82, Long Island—69 (The Tar Heels outclassed the Sharks; 4 NC players scored in double figures)

Manhattan—64, Notre Dame—54 (Big upset. Manhattan jumped ahead but Notre Dame took a small lead midway through the first half. It was short-lived though and at the break the Fighting Irish trailed 29-25 and were unable to get any closer in the 2nd half. SG Casey Johnson had 22 points for the Irish.)

#1 seed, #8 ranked Boston College Eagles (25-8) vs #9 seed Coppin State Eagles (26-5)

It was the Eagles vs the Eagles in this game…and surprise! The Eagles won!

Both teams got off to a quick start, but after 5 minutes Boston College began to pull away. By the end of the half BC led 41-21.

BC expanded the lead to as much as 26 points before coasting to an easy 75-62 win. As he had done in the previous game, the entire bench got extensive minutes. BC crashed the boards to pull down 45 rebounds compared to 30 by Coppin State.

PG Bobby Grannum led the scoring with 18 points, but C Ben Schau dominated inside, scoring 15 and pulling down 20 rebounds plus blocking 3 shots. SG Corey Graham scored 10. SF James Pratt sprained his finger.
Last edited by PointGuard on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:18 pm

Boston Herald

Round 3 (Sweet 16)

#1 seed, #8 ranked Boston College Eagles (26-8) vs #12 seed North Carolina Tar Heels (21-14)

The Tar Heels lost to BC by 20, but that was an away gave for North Carolina and now this game is a neutral court. North Carolina’s forte is defense. SG Rashad Newton is their top player and hits a high percentage of his shots.

The Eagles played a solidly, but not spectacularly in the first half and came away with a 42-34 halftime advantage. Boston College tightened their defense in the 2nd half and ran away with an 81-58 stomping of the Tar Heels.

PG Bobby Grannum scored 16 points and had 9 assists. C Ben Schau had a double-double with 14 points and 13 boards plus had 2 steals and 4 blocks. PF Danny Toliver scored 14 and SG/PG/SF Glen Robinson added 11 points.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:02 pm

Boston Herald

Round 4 (Elite 8)

#1 seed, #8 ranked Boston College Eagles (27-8) vs #7 seed Nebraska Cornhuskers (25-10)

Nebraska’s won 4 of 6 games against ranked teams including beating #1 seed, #5 ranked Illinois both times they met this season. They’re strong defensively, primarily using a 1-3-1 zone defnese.

PG Bobby Grannum hit some big shots to break the Cornhuskers zone defense and the Eagles went on to take a 44-35 halftime lead. The Eagles held onto a double digit lead for much of the 2nd half and knocked off Nebraska 86-71.

Twelve of BC’s 13 players scored. Leading the scoring was PG Bobby Grannum with 23 points and he also dished out 12 assists. PF Danny Toliver also had a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:07 pm

Fred Aura

The morning after our win that sent us to the Final 4, I got a call from Shane Vorstadt. He began by saying he’d been watching our games and congratulated me and the team on our good play. He then said he had even better news.

Shane asked if I was sitting down. When I said I was, he said, “I have some news for you about the murder.”

“And what might that be? Am I to be arrested?”, I replied.

Shane came back with, “No, no. In fact, there’s already been an arrest. The police are being pretty closed mouth about it, but my source verified it. Right now he couldn’t give me details, though. I’m surmising that the police are still in the middle of questioning whoever it was that was arrested and therefore not making anything public yet.”

“Phew! This is a huge relief. While I knew I hadn’t done anything, I have to admit I was pretty damned nervous. I sort of felt like they were railroading me,” I admitted.

“I hear ya. And maybe there’s a bit of truth in what you’re saying. But just keep mum about the arrest right now. I don’t want to get the police pissed off so that they begin trying to identify the person in the department that is providing privileged information. I don’t want him burned,” said Shane. “Now, quit worrying and go out there and nail down another win, Coach.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:58 pm

Boston Herald

Round 5 (Final 4)

#1 seed, #8 ranked Boston College Eagles (28-8) vs #3 seed, #10 ranked Tennessee Volunteers (26-10)

Danny Toliver and Maynard Gardner came down with flu the day after BC’s win in the Elite 8. Fortunately for Boston College, there was enough time between that and their Final 4 game for the two to get over the effects of the flu.

Tennessee played great to beat #1 seed Illinois by 13 points. The Vols are strong defensively and have 4 starters averaging in double figures, led by PG Abe Zimmerman’s 14.8 ppg.

It took 2-1/2 minutes before either team scored. BC’s defense forced Tennessee to make 6 turnovers in the first 8 minutes as the Eagles flew to a 17-3 lead. But then the Volunteers went on a 10-2 run as Coach Aura uncharacteristically was slow to take his starters out and they tired. The bench came in and went on a 12-0 run to put the Eagles ahead by 18. Tennessee then got back into the game by scoring 7 unanswered points. The half ended with BC on top 40-30 due mainly to the Eagles holding a 12-4 turnover advantage.

With just under 10 minutes left in the game, BC had developed a 21 point lead by applying a lockdown defense. The Eagles ended up crushing the Vols 73-53. BC’s defense won this game. Tennessee hit just 37% of their shots and turned the ball over 23 times. None of the Vols’ starters scored in double figures although one sub scored 14 points.

Ben Schau topped BC’s scoring with 22 points to go along with 14 rebounds. PG Bobby Grannum had 12 points and 9 assists.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:05 pm

Fred Aura

So we’re going to play one game for the national championship! I’ve been trying to relax the players and getting them past their thinking of this as a momentous game. I doubt I’ve been all that effective because it certainly hasn’t worked for me. My inner thoughts are pretty frazzled. I’m trying to settle myself by going over a bunch of video about Memphis, our opponent. Together with my assistant coaches, we’re working out possible game strategies. But there’s no way around it, the Tigers are a talented and tough team. My entire family is here to attend the game, but they’ll be seeing little of me as I obsess about Memphis and how to counteract their strengths. There’s also a ton of texts, phone calls that I am making every effort to ignore. And I’m totally ignoring all social media. The media is also insistent on getting a quote here, a quote there…and while I’d like to shut them out, its part of my job to be available to them.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Boston Herald

Round 6 (Championship)

#1 seed, #8 ranked Boston College Eagles (29-8) vs #1 seed, #2 ranked Memphis Tigers (35-5)

A fitting championship game pitting two #1 seeds. Memphis has won 9 of 10 games against ranked opponents this season, their only loss at the hands of Tennessee. The Tigers have outscored their opponents 75.4 to 61.1 ppg. They have won their last 12 games this season. Before the game, Fred Aura, BC’s coach, was tight-lipped saying, “Memphis is an exceptionally strong team that has consistently played extremely well the entire season. We, on the other hand, have had our ups and downs. So we’ll need to play at our peak performance level to have a chance against the Tigers.”

C Ben Schau picked up two fouls within the first 2 minutes of the game. Memphis hit 7 of 15 from beyond the arc in the first half. And the Tigers hit 7 of 8 free throws while Eagles didn’t get a single free throw attempt in the half. PG Lou Elder scored 13 points for the Tigers. The Eagles trailed 38-22 at their lowest point in the first half. BC then dropped their zone to go full time with a man-to-man defense. BC responded by scoring the final 11 points of the half to cut the Memphis’ lead to 38-33 going into the 2nd half and instead of a blowout it looked like it might be a ball game.

3 minutes into the 2nd half, Corey Graham intercepted a Memphis pass, whipped the ball up court to James Pratt who threw down a slam dunk to put BC ahead 43-42. The Tigers then went on a 12-2 to put the Eagles in another hole. After trailing for 13 minutes, BC tied the game at 77-77 with 3 minutes to go. Then Corey Graham worked the ball inside to Ben Schau who faked to his right and came back to his left to make a turnaround jumper that put the Eagles ahead 79-77 with 2:21 remaining. Memphis tied the game on their next possession and went ahead by 2 with 32 seconds left. An errant pass by the Tigers was picked off by Ben Schau who got the ball up to Danny Toliver for a driving slam with 7 ticks on the clock, tying the game at 81-81. Memphis was unable to convert on their final possession which sent the game to overtime.

In the OT, the teams traded baskets for the first 2 minutes. But then Boston College was able to open a 6 point lead with 1:30 remaining as fatigue appeared to set in for the Memphis players. Memphis hit a 3 with 15 seconds to go to draw within 3 points, but they had to foul and Bobby Grannum sunk both free throws. That ended the scoring and Boston College was crowned the champion by a final score of 96-91.

Although BC was outshot 50% to 47% (and 44% to 25% on 3’s), scored 4 fewer points at the foul line, and was out-rebounded 40-33, the Eagles made just 12 turnovers while forcing the Tigers to turn the ball over 27 times, including 17 steals by the scrappy Eagles. That allowed BC to take 17 more FGA’s on which they made 6 more FG’s than did Memphis.

SF James Pratt led the scoring for BC with 20 points followed by 16 points by super-swingman Glen Robinson, 14 points apiece by PG Bobby Grannum, C Tim Cotton, and SG Corey Graham.

Coach Aura said, “Memphis is a great team and showed it throughout the season and the entire NCAA Tournament. In a game where the two teams each score over 80 points in regulation and over 90 in OT, defense isn’t a word that would normally be mentioned. But while we didn’t play classic lockdown defense, our guys were ballhawking and harassing the entire game. And we needed every bit of that to get by the Tigers.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:59 am

Wow! Well done!
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:20 pm

Yeah, I didn't expect BC to be a #1 seed and then didn't expec them to get to the Final 4 and certainly not be champs.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports