SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 am

Cal Poly Mustangs (9-9, 5-4) @ UC Davis Aggies (5-14, 4-6)

The Aggies went though an eleven game losing streak but have won 3 of their last 4 games. Not sure if we will play the bad-Aggies or the good-Aggies. C Greg Smith is averaging 18.1 ppg. He’s scored in double figures in every game this season, scored 30+ in one game and 20+ in five others. Hopefully we can keep him under 20, but if not we definitely need to not let any of their other players do well.

We only hit 26% of our shots in the first half but trailed by just a 33-27 score at the break. In the 2nd half we kept chipping away at the lead but weren’t able to overtake the Aggies. But with 1:16 to go, Ike Mosley hit a long 3 to get us within 2 points. We forced a turnover with 56 ticks remaining. But we made an errant pass. We played tough defense keeping UC Davis from getting off a good shot and when they missed, grabbed the rebound. We called a time out with 18 seconds left to set up a play. The play worked and we tied the game with 16 seconds on the clock. We avoided fouling while the Aggies worked the clock down for a final shot…which missed…sending the game to OT knotted at 62-62.

In overtime, we were inflicted by a case of turnover-itis and fell behind by 6 points. We recovered to get within a point of the lead and called a timeout with 15 seconds to set up a pick and roll play. But it failed. The Aggies rebounded by were called for travelling with 4 seconds to go. We got the ball up to the halfcourt line, but our desperation shot didn’t go down and we lost 71-70.

PG Aki Mosley hit for 27 points and PF Denny Grove and reserve SG Terrell Alexander both scored 11.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:19 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (9-10, 5-5) @ Cal State Northridge Matadors (7-11, 4-5)

3rd Assistant Coach (Scouting) Rashon Richardson

We continue trekking through California for our 4th straight away game. The Matadors are led by juniors Chris Newton (SF) and Tom Adams (SG), both of whom are averaging 14.4 ppg. If we can hold those two to their season averages and keep anyone else from breaking out, I think we have a chance to pull off a road win. But we need to shoot better than we have in our past 3 games.

What is it with turnovers on the road and us? 4 of them in the first 3-1/2 minutes leaving us in an 10-2 hole. But a minute later the Matadors’ Chris Newton picked up his 2nd foul and headed to the bench. We slipped further and further behind since we had a tough time knocking down our shots. After trailing by as much as 15 points, our shooting eyes returned and we began to inch our way back into the game. With 2:18 remaining in the half Denny Grove sank two free throws to tie the game at 26-26. Cal State Northridge responded by hitting two consecutive 3’s and we finished the half down 34-31. Usually we do pretty well on the boards but in the first half, we were a -9. Coach Aura wasn’t happy about that and let the guys know about it in the locker room.

Eight minutes of hell to start the 2nd half left us trailing by 18 points. We made up a big deficit in the first half…could we do it again? The answer? A resounding “NO!” We fell further behind instead with the Matadors putting the sword to us to the tune of 85-60. We were beaten in every aspect of the game, but particularly on the boards with Cal State Northridge picking off 41 rebounds to just 23 by us.

C Donald Blackmon scored 12 points and reserve SF/SG Victor Carson hit for 11 points.

Our 4 straight losses have plummeted us into a tie for 6th place in the Big West Conference standings, 2-1/2 games behind Hawaii and Long Beach who are tied at the top of the standings. We played tough in one of those games, losing by a single point in OT. But we got our butts roasted in the other 3 losses. Coach Aura told the guys to put this game completely out of their minds and focus on the upcoming good news…5 of our 8 remaining games are at home.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 am

Zahara Carter, Assistant (sports administration)

Coach Fed called me into his office as soon as he got back from the last road game. He said he had a big challenge for me. With 5 home games in the last month of the season, Coach Fed said he wanted me to come up with ways to draw in as many students and fans as possible with the goal of filling all 3032 seats at Robert A. Mott Athletics Center for each of those 5 home games…and ways of firing up the crowd. He said he’ll talk with Rob Benchley, our AD, to ensure there is maximum support for every idea I come up with. He said my success with this project will help ensure the success of our team.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:54 pm

UC-San Diego Tritons (5-14, 2-8) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (9-11, 5-6)

Denny Grove, PF

When we come out for warmups, we’re nearly blown away. Music’s blaring and the stands are almost entirely filled with our fans standing and cheering for us. In my 4 years here I’ve never experienced anything like this. When its time for the tip-off, I scan the athletic center and I’ll be damned if not every stinking seat is filled. What a crowd and they’re already filling the center with noise. It’s exciting but also making me nervous about being able to fulfill their expectations. The Tritons’ PF DeMarlo Graham is just a freshman, but an exceptionally talented one, so it’s on me to try to keep him in check.

We control the tip but turn the ball over and the Tritons hit a quick 3…not a good start. With us trailing 5-2, I don’t make things any better by getting 2 of my passes picked off. But we work hard and finally get our first lead when Dean Plowman sinks a 3 to make it 12-9 with 13:42 to go in the half and the crowd’s roaring. But we’re continuing to have turnover problems and Coach Fed gives us hell. Both teams go on runs but we came on strong in the final minutes to take a 34-25 lead to the locker room. I scored 6 and had 4 boards plus held Graham scoreless, but know I could have played better. Coach Fed pats us on the back for our defense but kicks us in the butt due to our 11 turnovers.

Our fans again greet us with hearty cheering when we return to the court. The Tritons cut into our lead early in the 2nd half but fortunately Dean Plowman is hot tonight and keeps us in the lead….until the Tritons tie us at 42-42 with 13-1/2 minutes to go. We respond with an 11-2 run, though. But the Tritons won’t die and get within 5 points with 3 minutes left. We regroup and hold on for an 83-76 victory.

SG Dean Plowman had a great game, scoring 21 points. PG Aki Mosley scored 15 points. I had 8 points and 9 rebounds. But practice is likely to be draining tomorrow since we made 20 turnovers. Coach Aura hasn’t been happy with how many turnovers we’ve been making lately.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs (10-11, 6-6) @ UC Irvine Anteaters (7-13, 5-6)

Excerpts from Game Broadcast by KCPR—Cal Poly radio station

*To say the road has been rough for the Mustangs would be an understatement. While they’re 8-0 at home they’ve won just 2 of 13 of their road games. UC Irvine has had a rough season due to poor defense and poor shooting. But they HAVE won 5 of their Big West games, including 4 of their 5 home conference games thus far.
*We’re only just over a minute into the game and with SF Jason Fleming picking up his 2nd foul, Coach Aura is all over the refs. His assistants are trying to get him back near the bench to avoid a T.
*Cal Poly is having one of their regular horrible shooting during the early going of games. They’ve hit just 2 of 13 from the field and trial 15-5 with 13 minutes remaining in the first half.
*UC Irvine goes ahead 31-10 with 6 minutes remaining til halftime. The Mustangs need to get it together.
*The Mustangs aren’t going to want to watch a rerun of that half. They were outshot 53% to 31%, out-rebounded 22-15, and made 7 turnovers while the Anteaters turned the ball over just 2 times. So it’s not surprising Cal Poly finds themselves in a 47-26 hole.
*In the 2nd half the Mustangs have solved their shooting woes, but they’ve not figured out how to shutdown the Anteaters. With 7 minutes to go they still trail 71-52.
*The buzzer sounds ending the game with UC Irvine drubbing the Cal Poly Mustangs by a final scored of 86-67. The loss will drop the Mustangs into sole possession of 9th place in the Big West standings. But outside the 2 teams at the top and the 2 teams at the bottom of the standings, the other 7 teams are churning in the middle, with just 1-1/2 games separating all 7 teams.
*The only positive thing that can be said about his game is that PG Aki Mosley played his heart out, hitting 8 of 12 from the field including 6 of 9 of his 3-point attempts and finished with 22 points.
*Oh! There is one more positive thing to say: The game is finally over.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:04 pm

Cal Poly Mustangs Sports Message Board

Mosley Wins Award

Cal Poly’s Aki Mosley was named this past week’s Big West Conference Freshman Player of the Week. Mosley scored 37 points, pulled down 8 rebounds, and dished out 5 assists in the Mustangs’ two games this week. Coach Aura praised the freshman guard by saying, “Aki has led us throughout the season. It’s tough for a freshman to come in and take over as our starting point guard, but Aki has consistently shown he’s not only able, but relishes the challenges. He’s leading our team in both scoring and assists, averaging 12.6 ppg and 4,2 apg, This award was well-earned by Aki after he played well in both games we played this past week.”

Mosley said, “I’m having a great time playing basketball for Cal Poly. We’ve been able to win a lot more games than anyone expected, so it’s fun surprising our fans and giving them something to cheer about.”
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:07 pm

Cal State Fullerton Titans (13-9, 7-6) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (10-12, 6-7)

Rob Benchley, Athletic Director

Another full house thanks to the efforts of Zahara Carter. But the team needs to play well and come ay with a win to bring back a lot of these people, most of whom are not truly “fans” at this point. We got beat by 20 when we played the Titans at their place. I’d sure like to turn that around.

We played lousy for the first 15 minutes of the half and were down by as much as 14, but then we went on an 11-0 run to get within a point but were unable to pull ahead. When the claxon sounded ending the half it was CSU Fullerton-41, Cal Poly-40.

We scored on the first possession of the 2nd half to grab a lead. We increased the lead to 5 with 16 minutes to play. Then the Titans hit back-to-back 3’s to go on top 52-51. We came back and went ahead by 10 with 11 minutes left, but our starters were dragging tails so Coach Aura had to put subs on the floor. But the subs took the clock down to 3 minutes and maintained our double-digit lead. We worked the clock down on our possessions and came away with an 88-76 victory. We outshot the Titans 53% to 47% and were +10 on the boards. The win moved us back up to a tie for 5th place in topsy-turvy middle of the conference standings.

Leading our scoring was C Roland Holland with 16 points. SF Jason Fleming and SG Dean Plowman both scored 13 points and PF Denny Grove had a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Our bench outscored the Titans bench 36-24.

Our impressive 2nd half effort and come-from-behind win had to excite some of the fans we lured in with free and discounted tickets, in-game giveaways, contests, and wacky activities so that some of them may become fans who will return.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:39 am

UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (15-8, 10-4) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (11-12, 7-7)

Zahara Carter, Assistant (sports administration)

Another big crowd and we didn’t have to give away a bunch of free tickets since the Gauchos brought a lot of their fans to the game. UC Santa Barbara is a very good team and resides atop the Big West standings, so we’ll have to play our best to have a chance. We’ve been having really slow starts lately, so I think it’s important for us to hit some early baskets and put pressure on the Gauchos.

over 2 minutes for either team to get on the board and we went ahead 8-0 before UC Santa Barbara scored their first points with 16:20 to go in the half. But the Gauchos got right back into the game and we fell behind 11-10. The then zipped out to a 25-16 advantage with 6 minutes remaining in the half. Poor shooting (26%) and turnovers (13) resulted in our trailing 37-22 at the break.

The Mustangs were unable to mount any type of comeback in the 2nd half and crashed and burned, losing 72-54. Cal Poly hit just 35% of their shots and had 24 turnovers.

SG Dean Plowman scored 16 points.

After losing by 24 when playing at UC Santa Barbara and by 18 when playing the same team on our court, it appears the Gauchos are just too much for us this year.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:08 am

Cal State Northridge Matadors (9-15, 6-9) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (11-13, 7-8)

Barry Rasmussen, head Athletic Trainer for the Mustangs

The Matadors ripped us 85-60 when we played them on their court earlier this season. The guys are itching for some payback. They’ve lost 4 staight and we plan to increase that to 5 losses in a row. SG Tom Adams and SF Chris Newton have combined to average nearly 28 ppg and Adams scored 22 against us, so we need to keep them in control.

We’re at full strength…no injuries or illness. But my understanding is that the Gauchos are aksi at full strength.

Good start…Denny Grove buried a short jumper just 14 seconds into the game. Then Blackmon scored inside on our 2nd possession and we were up 4-1. But CSU Northridge came right back and edged ahead. The lead swayed back and forth. With us ahead 15-12, Aki Mosley took an elbow to the nose and had to come out so we could stop the bleeding. We got Mosley’s nose staunched and Coach Fed put him right back into the game even though John Gibbs was playing well at PG. We went on a run to go ahead by 12. Then even though we cooled off we were able to sport a 34-24 halftime advantage.

The refs did a number on us in the 2nd half and that helped the Matadors go up by 6 with 8:45 to go. An exhausted Jason Fleming came to the bench at that point…we got fluids into him and he recovered fairly promptly. Our guys fought back to regain the lead with 4 minutes remaining. From there we gradually edged away from the Matadors and finished with a 73-63 win. There definitely was a big scare in the 2nd half, but our guys did a nice job of coming back.

Scoring in double figures for us were: SG Dean Plowman-14; PF Denny Grove-12; SF Jared Fleming-11; and PG Aki Mosley-10 (plus 3 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals).

Just before the game ended, Dean Plowman came out of the game complaining of soreness in his left leg. There was no apparent injury. We applied ice and will monitor it. If the pain continues, we’ll have him sit out of practice the next couple days and then reevaluate.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:41 pm

Omari Aura

The Memphis Grizzlies starting SF Rafael Mendillo got injured and I got called up from the D-League to fill his place on the roster. No, I didn’t start but it was a big thrill to even get to join the team. Talk about a huge difference between being on a D-league team and an NBA team. I could get used to this real fast.

The Grizzlies had 2 days off when I arrived so that gave me a chance to get in some practice time with the team. We then played Atlanta. I spent most of the game riding the bench, but in the 3rd quarter I got into game. I can’t say I starred in my 3 minutes on the court. Got torched by Montell Mosier, the guy I was supposed to be guarding, on one possession. He went by me like I wasn’t even there and threw down a jam. I did grab two rebounds and had a few touches when we were on offense. Then it was back to the bench. Our next game was against Miami and I got to play 5 minutes. My stats: 1 for 2 from the field (I scored on a 14 foot jumper from the right side and wiffed on a tip-in try but did get credited for 2 boards. I should have picked up a foul, but the refs fortunately missed it.

Rafael healed up and returned. That meant a return by me to my D-League team. I’m averaging 8.1 ppg and 5.0 rpg for them and the coach has been positive about my defense. Sure hope I get to get back to the Grizzlies…the next time without it having to be due to an injury to one of their players.

Dad, Mom, Malik, and Devany all expressed how proud of me they were and how much they enjoyed watching even my very limited time on the NBA courts. I also got a lot of messages from friends and prior teammates so that was great. My best friend on my D-League team was happy for me and said he was rooting for me in both games. But I think deep down he really wanted the call up to have been for him rather than me. But that’s understandable. I’d have had the same thoughts if the shoe had been on the other foot.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports