SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:22 am

Cal State Northridge Matadors (12-17, 9-10) @ Cal Poly Mustangs (22-6, 15-4)

Benny Tamago, realtor (fan)

Although we lost at home earlier this week, the Mustangs have had a very good season. Heck, we were picked to finish 7th in the conference and we’re going to finish 2nd. And we’ve already won 22 games this season. What’s more we’ve done that without a consistently dominant player…seems like we get a different player who’s hot every game. But the Mustangs need to win tonight so they go into the Big West tourney on a positive note.

Terrell Alexander hit a 3 off the tip-off, so maybe he’s going to have a 2nd straight big game. We score the first 12 points. From thereon the shooting by both teams quite simply sucked. Cal Poly came out of the half with a 31-24 lead even though hitting just 26% of their shots.

The Mustangs defense throttled the Matadors in the early part of the 2nd half and midway through the half, Cal Pol sported a 42-26 lead. The Mustangs won 61-50, but overall there was pretty unimpressive play by both teams. Both teams could only convert 30% of their shots.

PF/C Don Seals topped the scoring for Cal Poly with 16 points. C Curtis Pearson scored 11 and had 7 rebounds.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:13 pm

Mustang News

Big West Final Standings

UC Santa Barbara…18-2…23-6…12-0 home…11-6 away…16 NET Ranking…ranked #22 in polls
Cal Poly…16-4…23-6…11-2 home…12-4 away…40 NET Ranking
UC San Diego…13-7…20-9…11-2 home…9-7 away…76 NET Ranking
UC Riverside…11-9…17-12…12-2 home…5-10 away…108 NET Ranking
UC Irvine…10-10…17-12…10-5 home…7-7 away…145 NET Ranking
Cal St. Northridge…9-11…12-18…7-7 home…5-11 away…257 NET Ranking
Cal St. Fullerton…9-11…13-16…9-4 home…4-12 away…233 NET Ranking
Cal St. Bakersfield…8-12…13-16…10-5 home…3-11 away…241 NET Ranking
Long Beach State…6-14…8-21…6-8 home…2-13 away…313 NET Ranking
UC Davis…5-15…11-18…8-8 home…3-10 away…277 NET Ranking
Hawaii…5-15…9-20…5-7 home…4-13 away…266 NET Ranking
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:45 am

San Luis Obispo Tribune

Big West Conference Tournament Results

Day 1

#11 seed Hawaii—105, #6 seed Cal St. Northridge—92 (OT)
#7 seed Cal St. Fullerton—81, #10 seed UC Davis—75
#8 seed Cal St. Bakersfield—80, #9 seed Long Beach St.—68

Day 2 Quarterfinals

#1 seed UC Santa Barbara—97, #8 seed Cal St. Bakersfield—78
#2 seed Cal Poly—78, #7 seed Cal St. Fullerton—65 (PG Aki Mosley—21 pts, 5 ast; C Curtis Pearson—13 pts, 12 reb; PF Don Seals—10 pts.)
#11 seed Hawaii—69, #3 seed UC San Diego—60
#4 seed UC Riverside—69, #5 seed UC Irvine—63

Day 2 Semifinals

#1 seed UC Santa Barbara—76, #4 seed UC Riverside—64
#2 seed Cal Poly—81, #11 seed Hawaii—59 (PG Aki Mosley—24 pts; PF Don Seals—15 pts, 5 reb; SG Terrell Alexander—18 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl.)

Day 3 Championship

#18 ranked, #1 seed UC Santa Barbara—90, #2 seed Cal Pol—66 (The Mustangs led 48-41 at the break, hitting 58% of their FG’s and 9 of 13 of their 3’s in the first half. But in the 2nd half the Gauchos showed their pedigree, shooting very well and applying a staunch defense that defused Cal Poly. SG Terrell Alexander—18 pts; SF Donald Brown—13 pts, 7 reb; PF/C Don Seals—11 pts, 6 reb.)

Cal Poly’s season record is now 25-7
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:08 am

Coach Fred Aura

The Selection Show yielded two big surprises.

First, UC Santa Barbara’s selection as a 6 seed was, while well-earned, way higher than a Big West team is ever placed in the Big Dance. Good on the Gauchos!

But second…I nearly fell over in shock when we got selected to play in the NCAA Tournament. Having TWO Big West Conference teams selected to participate in the NCAA Tourney is unheard of. And for us to be a 11-seed is also amazing. I felt we’d be relegated to the NIT Tournament. We have to take on Georgia in Round 1. The Bulldogs are ranked #24 in the polls and finished in a tie for 2nd place in the SEC. We’ll be big underdogs, but I think we have a chance. We match up pretty well against them with the exception that they have a very talented freshman SG in Torian Burks. He’s averaged 17.8 ppg and shoots well from anywhere on the court. Rumor has it that he tweaked his knee. But although he may not be at full strength, he’s still going to be a tough guy to defend. I’d sure like our team to pull off an upset, though.

An aside: Boston College, where I last coached, had a great season. They finished atop the ACC with a 16-4 record and won the ACC Tourney, beating both Duke and North Carolina in the semifinal and champtionship games. They have a 26-8 season record, had several nice winning streaks, and are ranked #12 in the polls. 3 of their top 4 players are guys I recruited. PF Ben Schau averaged 12.0 ppg and 10.3 rpg, C Brent Jepperson averaged 10.3 ppg and 10.1 rpg, and SF Noel Carr averaged 11.2 ppg and 6.2 rpg. Their a 3-seed in the NCAA Tourney and I think they have a good chance of going all the way.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm

CIT Tournament Results for Big West Conference Teams:

Rnd 1: Columbia—60, UC Riverside—52
Rnd 1: Albany—84, UC Irvine—69

CBI Tournament Results for Big West Conference Team:

Rnd 1: UC San Diego—68, Iowa State—49
Rnd 2: UC San Diego—76, SIU Edwardsville—66
Rnd 3: UC San Diego—75, Alabama-Birmingham—69
Rnd 4 (Championship): UC San Diego—58, BYU--55
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:58 am

NCAA Tournament Results for Big West Conference Teams…and Boston College:

Rnd 1: Eastern Illinois—83, [i]UC Santa Barbara[/i]—75
Rnd 1: Boston College—100, Indiana State—92
Rnd 1: #11 seed Cal Poly Mustangs (25-7) vs #6 seed, #24 ranked Georgia Bulldogs (24-8)
Defense predominated early with the teams tied 5-5 at the first media timeout. But then the Bulldogs pulled away to a 20-8 lead at the midway through the first half. The Mustangs fought back to get within 4 but then Georgia again spurted to a 39-27 halftime advantage. Cal Poly chiped away at the lead and tied the game with 10 minutes to go and then went ahead 50-49 with 9:20 to go. They expanded their lead to 5 points with 6:50 remaining. The Bulldogs closed to within a single point with 3 minutes to go. Terrell Alexander sunk a 15 foot jumper to make it 65-62 with 2-1/2 minutes left. The Bulldogs regained a one-point lead with 1:10 on the clock. Don Seals was fouled and made one of shots to tie the game with 50 seconds remaining. Mosley was fouled on the Mustangs next possession and he dropped both free throws cleanly through the treads to give Cal Poly a 68-66 lead with 30 seconds to go. Georgia quickly tied the game but again were called for a foul. Mosley hit both shots again with 16 seconds on the clock. The Mustangs applied a full court press that worked the clock down and forced the Bulldogs to shoot a long 3 that rimmed around and out giving Cal Poly a thrilling 70-68 upset victory.

PG Aki Mosley scored 19 points, PF Derrick LaLane tossed in 13 points, SG Terrell Alexander hit for 11 points, and C Curtis Pearson scored 10 and pulled down 9 rebounds.

Coach Fred Aura said, “We got out-played in the first half, but our guys never gave up. They came out and hit some big shots from outside to get us back in the game. They hounded Burks to limit him to just 7 points. And then they fought determinedly to edge the Bulldogs in the final moments of the game. I couldn’t be more proud of these guys. Now we have to quickly prepare to go up against a very strong Boston College team. Of course, that’s exciting for me since I’m just a couple years away from having coached the Eagles.”

Rnd 2: #11 seed Cal Poly Mustangs (26-7) vs #3 seed #12 ranked Boston College Eagles (26-8)

The Mustangs were given virtually no chance of defeating Boston College, as they looked to be out-gunned at every position.

Cal Poly looked nervous early, making 4 quick turnovers that resulted in them falling behind 8-0. The turnovers continued and reached 8 in the first 7 minutes of play at which point Boston College led 20-10. But the Mustangs fought to tie the Eagles’ at 22-22 with 7-1/2 minutes left in the half. At that point Cal Poly’s turnover total was up to 12 but they were hitting 53% of their shots. 30 seconds later they took their first lead when Aki Mosley snuck a pass in down low to Richard Lawson who threw down a thunderous dunk making the crowd roar. BC missed their shot on the next possession and Don Seals hit a bomb from 25 feet to give the Mustangs a 5 point lead. Turnovers continued to bedevil Cal Poly, though, and Boston College took advantage to storm back to a 42-36 halftime advantage. The Mustangs were +10 on the boards but made 17 turovers to just 4 by the Eagles in the half.

The Mustangs scored the first 9 points of the 2nd half to take a 3 point lead with 17 minutes to go. Boston College came back to take a 60-54 lead with 11 minutes remaining. Amazingly the Mustangs came right back to tie the game on their next two possessions. The Eagles caught fire in the final 6 minutes, hitting shots from all over the court to pull out an 86-79 win over the pesky Mustangs.

Cal Poly hit 54% of their shots (and 46% of their 3’s) compared to BC’s 47% on FG’s and 37% of 3’s. The Mustangs also held a 33-27 rebounding advantage, but it was their 24 turnovers that ultimately doomed their valiant effort.

PG Aki Mosley scored 16, PF Derrick LaLane hit for 13, SG Terrell Alexander put in 12, PF/C Don Seals scored 11, and C Curtis Pearson added 10. For Boston College, SF Noel Carr led all scorers with 27 points.

Coach Fred Aura said, “My guys definitely gave it their all and put up on heckuva fight. They put a scare into Boston College. But I congratulate the Eagles. Their final surge was impressive. They’re a great team and I wish them the best as they continue their campaign for another national championship.”

Rnd 3: Boston College—63, UNLV—58
[u]Rnd 4[/u]: Kentucky—65, Boston College—64
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:30 am

Tournament Champions:

CIT: Pittsburgh

CBI: UC San Diego

NIT: Oklahoma

NCAA: Gonzaga

AWARDS:

Frederick Aura: Big West Conference Coach of the Year

Don Seals: Big West Conference 2nd Team All-Conference
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:08 am

Rob Benchley, Athletic Director

Fred Aura met and exceeded all goals that had been set for him. I’m happy to report that he’s decided to remain here at Cal Poly for next season.

1st Assistant Coach Eugene Wallace retired. Coach Aura hired Bryan King as his new 1st Assistant Coach. King, who most recently was 1st Assistant at Idaho State, will be responsible for recruiting.

Coach Aura requested a budget increase. Our stingy board denied it even though he took our team to the NCAA Tourney and got to the 2nd round and nearly to the Sweet 16. I explained to the board that we'll have a boatload of scholarships to fill this coming season, but that didn’t sway them. Breaking the bad news to Coach Aura wasn't a pleasant task.

We have our entire team (other than walkons, both of whom graduated) returning next season…unless there’s one or more transfers. So I’m excited about our prospects for next season and high hopes of unseating UC Santa Barbara from atop the Big West standings.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:08 pm

Coach Frederick Aura’s Division 1 Coaching Summary:

2019-20: Towson, 18-15, .545, unranked, 6th (tie) in CAA, No post-season tourney
2020-21: Towson, 13-17, .433, unranked, 5th in CAA, No post-season tourney
2021-22: Towson, 24-9, .727, unranked, 2nd in CAA, NCAA (Round 1)
2022-23: Towson, 27-7, .794, ranked 24th, 1st in CAA, NCAA (Round 2)
2023-24: Towson, 30-4, .882, ranked 15th, 1st in CAA, NCAA (Sweet 16)
2024-25: Towson, 25-8, .758, unranked, 1st in CAA, NCAA (Round 1)
2025-26: Boston College, 21-17, .553, unranked, 10th in ACC, CIT (Finals)
2026-27: Boston College, 25-10, .714, ranked 25th, 3rd in ACC, NCAA (Sweet 16)
2027-28: Boston College, 34-5, .872, ranked 2nd, 1st in ACC, NCAA (Final 4)
2028-29: Boston College, 30-6, .833, ranked 2nd, 1st in ACC, NCAA (Round 2)
2029-30: Boston College, 26-9, .743, ranked 8th, 2nd in ACC, NCAA (Round 2)
2030-31: Boston College, 30-8, .789, ranked 8th, 1st in ACC, NCAA (Champions)
2031-32: Cal Poly, 15-15, .500, unranked, 2nd (tie) in Big West, No post-season tourney
2032-33: Cal Poly, 16-15, .516, unranked, 4th (tie) in Big West, No post-season tourney
2033-34: Cal Poly, 26-8, .765, unranked, 2nd in Big West, NCAA (Round 2)

CAREER RECORD: 360-153, .703
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:00 pm

2034-2035 SEASON

Bryan King, 1st Assistant Coach (recruiting)

I left Idaho State, a program that had been bad historically and didn’t seem to be heading up, to come to Cal Poly. The Mustangs are definitely on an upward trajectory. To say I’m excited is an understatement. While I would have preferred to handle practices and player development, Justin Traore has been doing that as 2nd assistant coach and I have more experience with recruiting than Justin. So I welcome to challenge.

But there’s immediate pressure as well. After having no scholarships to offer last season, there are 8 seniors on this year’s squad meaning we have 8 scholarships to fill during the upcoming year. Coach Aura told me that filling all 8 through recruiting would be fine, but he’s also very open to leaving a few scholarships unfilled so that we can go after some transfer players next summer, particularly if we can get a couple good transfer players who will be sophomores next season. That would help get some balance back into our future recruiting. We’re also in agreement that one or two of the players we recruit this season should be JC players if possible. Again, it's a way of beginning to level out the class structure on our roster.

Two players who will be sophomores this season and juniors next season have decided to transfer. Both are SG’s…Ryan Jackson and Roderick Chatman and both decided to try playing where they will have greater opportunity to start at their natural positions. Terrell Alexander, who started at SG last season, will be back this season so their starting here was going to be very unlikely. That leaves us at this point (May 1) with a roster this year of 8 seniors, 2 sophomores plus 1 freshman who redshirted last season. We will go after 2 transfer players this month to replace Chatman and Ryan. Ideally they will be juniors to equalize our class structure some.

In order to save our limited recruiting budget, we won’t be buying any scouting reports or going to any summer camps. That will complicate our recruiting efforts, but I think we can handle it.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports