SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm

SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

[This dynasty report carries on Coach Frederick Aura’s coaching career using DDSCB2021 (rather than using DDSCB2020 as was the case with the original dynasty report “Fedora”). Coach Aura’s attributes, skill levels, and philosophies remain as they were when the previous dynasty report concluded as does his personal life at his present age of 48.

As a coach he’s a disciplinarian, believes in high academics, doesn’t bend the rules, and has a bit of a temper. He prefers a deep bench, has no problem with using young players, crashes the boards, likes employing a pressure defense on both ends of the court, and prefers using a man-to-man defense about 75-80% of the time but works a zone in and out to keep the other team off-balance. His strengths are recruiting, player development and defense. His weaker areas are scouting and offense.

This dynasty report will continue with similar settings that were used previously: use of NCAAhoop’s Real World Mod (option 03), brutal recruiting difficulty level, 200% injury level, illegal recruiting allowed (of course, with Aura’s high integrity he doesn’t get to indulge in that), underclassmen can declare for the pros, no conference movement, and a high level of job pressure.

And now…on with Coach Fed's story.]
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: SAME FEDORA-NEW CROWN?

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Coach Frederick Aura

finally got back to full-time coaching at Towson for the Conference Tourney. It felt good to be back. I was excited about how well the team performed during that tournament. And it was good to be able to return to the NCAA Tournament. We gave it all we had but just Mississippi just had more than we could handle the night we played them. It was a disappointment for the entire team, but I told them that advancing in that tournament takes preparation, teamwork, execution, and also luck, since at times one team is hot and the other not on a particular night. With the right amount of effort the Tigers are talented enough to return to the NCAA Tournament next season.

My parents have progressed reasonably well in their rehab from the automobile accident in which they were involved and for which I left the team to help them during their recovery. I hated to miss coaching the team for almost the entire season but am glad I was able to help my parents when they needed it.

Two days after our March Madness loss, Janeka and I received more bad news though. Her mother has been diagnosed with cancer that will require both radiation and chemo. Janeka is devastated by this.

My intention was to return to Towson for another year at the least, particularly since I’d been with the team so little in the previous season. But after doing what was necessary for MY parents, I felt that Janeka needed to be with her mother (and father) as the cancer treatments proceeded.

I talked with AD Perry Winkle and told him I felt I needed to see if there was a coaching job that was near where Janeka’s parents live. He said he really wanted me to stay at Towson but that he understood and would give me permission to get out of my contract if I was able to find a job that worked out so she could be near her family.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Coaching Options:

I hired an agent, Jason Braxton, and he got the word out that I was looking to make a move. I was extremely pleased to learn that there were a number of colleges which were interested.

The interest in my being a college’s head coach went beyond schools from lower ranked conferences to quite a few within mid-major conferences. And there were even a few that were at programs in the power conferences…of course, those were at schools with basketball programs that were in the lower depths of those power conferences. Most of the jobs just didn’t work, since they weren’t near where Janeka’s parents live. So the list narrowed rapidly.

Janeka’s parents live in New England so that left out possible jobs in all other areas of the country. I’d expected to get a job at a college in a mid to lower ranked conference, but had a couple schools in mid-major conferences that were showing interest. Jason Braxton began negotiating with those.

Then when I was getting ready to focus on just one of those, Jason got a call. It was from the athletic Director from a school that had contacted me a year earlier. I’d told them at that time that while I was interested, I wasn’t going to leave Towson. They’d ended up moving their 1st Assistant to Head Coach after that. But the team tanked and they were ready to drop their experiment after one season. The location was ideal since her parents live just outside the city where this college is.

I told Jason to let them know I was interested. Things went rapidly after that. It became apparent that they really would like to have me as their head coach. Money wasn’t really an issue since the figure they floated was far above what I had been receiving at Towson. The school had some other things going for it beyond location: (1) high academics which fit perfectly with my priorities; (2) a history of basketball prestige; (3) a budget that would allow the hiring of decent (but not great) assistants and aggressive recruiting; (4) a name that would attract recruits; (5) a top-flight conference. There were some negatives of course: (1) basketball prestige was in the rather distant past; (2) the team was a consistent dweller in the lower reaches of the conference; (3) last season’s record was abysmal; (4) even though the budget was much higher than the budget at Towson, it was lower than that any of the other colleges in the same conference and orders of magnitude beneath some of the opponents to be faced in the same conference; (5) the team had a couple strong players but the overall talent level wasn’t high (certainly it was beneath the talent I’d mustered at Towson) and there was little depth and only one senior so no chance for a quick fix.

Obviously accepting the job at this college would definitely entail a major rebuilding process that wouldn’t be quick and getting truly competitive within the conference would be a big challenge.

But I didn’t go into coaching to take the easy path. I told Jason to try to get a preliminary proposal from them and set up a time for me to get together with them so we could see if there truly was a good match.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:46 pm

The Proposal

The college came back with a pretty strong preliminary proposal. Jason Braxton, my agent, set up a meeting. I flew north.

Arriving at Logan International Airport, I was met by Roland Hastings, the Athletic Director, who whisked me away to the campus of Boston College. The two of us had a good meeting and I was shown the athletic facilities at the college. We then got together with other officials at the college.

They put me up in a very nice hotel in Boston and that evening Roland took me out to dinner at the Boston College Club along with the president of the college, the chairman of the board of trustees, and the director of the BC Hoop Club.

Following an enjoyable dinner, Roland met with me privately to make a formal offer for me to be their next head coach and outline the specifics of their offer which included a 3-year contract at $414,000/year. But he also guaranteed a job for Janeka within BC’s William F. Connell School of Nursing. He said he knew that the education of our children was important to both Janeka and me. He also said that he knew Omari (who will be a HS junior) and Malik (who will be a HS freshman) are good basketball players and he would ensure they are accepted into Boston College High School which has high academics and a strong basketball program. He said that many of the high school’s basketball players get basketball scholarships to many different excellent basketball programs. He also recommended that we consider having Devany, who is going into the 3rd grade, attend Saint Columbkille Partnership School which is a K-8 school that has partnered with BC to develop a national model of excellence for elementary and middle school education.

Later that night I spoke at length with Janeka. She particularly appreciated that Roland had considered our kids, and since we’re practicing Catholics, that he’d provided strong Catholic education options for all 3 of our kids. Of course, she was thrilled that she could be close to her parents. The next morning I spoke with Jason Braxton and then went over to visit with Janeka’s parents at their home. I returned to Boston College for more meetings in the afternoon, and after speaking with Janeka again, accepted the college’s offer. The following day I met with the basketball team and staff. Further review of the team roster made it quite apparent that the coming season would be a tough one. That afternoon the college held a press conference to announce the hiring and introduce me.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm

Perry Winkle, AD at Towson

Damn! While I’m glad that Fred Aura got a great new job, I sure hate to lose him. He’s really turned things around here. In his 6 seasons with Towson he had a 137-60 (.695) record that included 3 conference titles, 4 NCAA appearances including getting to the Sweet 16 once, 4 times with 20+ wins, having the university’s first player drafted by the pros, and being chosen as the CAA Coach of the Year 4 times. I’m afraid Fed will find that trying to take a team from the bottom to the top of the ACC may not be possible. How do you overcome the likes of Duke and North Carolina.

Now I’m saddled with finding a replacement. Coach Aura highly recommended that his 1st Assistant, Kenyon Haynes, be hired as the new head coach. I like Kenyon and he did a good job filling in for Fred this past season. But Kenyon’s 68 years old and I really want a new, fresh energy taking over the reins.

When Kenyon realized he wasn’t in the running for the job, he quit. He didn’t find a head coaching job, but was hired by Liberty University as their 1st Assistant Coach.

It took me nearly a month, but I finally was able to hire 51 year old Nate Brown as our new head coach. Nate is an outstanding recruiter. He wanted his own staff, and subsequently hired 3 new assistants. Their salaries are a little lower than what we were paying Fred’s assistants so that means more money left for recruiting. As is often the case, some of the players Fred had recruited and who had played for us, decided to transfer after Fred left. That likely means our fortunes on the court will take a downturn for a year or two until Nate has had to recruit some good players and institute his philosophy and strategies.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Kenyon Haynes

When Coach Aura left, I let Perry Winkle know I wanted the Head Coaching job. And I know that Crash (Coach Aura) also made a pitch for me to take over. But then it was like I’d never done anything for Towson. Perry immediately opened the hiring process to others and never discussed my taking over the reins at all with me. I felt betrayed. While I’m at an age that I could (and maybe should) retire, I’m just not ready. I was late to latch on as a head coach elsewhere. Crash dangled the possibility of becoming his 1st assistant at Boston College, but I don’t want to live in that weather. So finally I opted to accept a 1st assistant job at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA...not all that far away from Towson. I imagine that will be the end of the line for me. I doubt anyone will consider me as a head coach with 70 approaching. I’ll take it year by year and see how long I want to hang around Lynchburg.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 pm

Kevin Abney

Hi! I’m the new 1st Assistant Coach at Boston College. Coach Fred Aura apparently got rid of two of the coaches who were on the staff when he accepted the job. Besides me, he hired Robert Wilson as 3rd assistant and kept 2nd Assistant Chris Evans.

Last season I was the 2nd assistant coach at Oklahoma. My primary job at BC will be as the Practice Assistant. Although I have done a lot of recruiting in the past, I feel I’m pretty good with player development and look forward to being in charge of practices and being Coach Aura’s primary bench coach.

Chris Evans, the 2nd assistant coach, will be the Recruiting Assistant. He did that last season for BC and has strong abilities in that area. He’s on a 3 year contract, unlike myself and Robert who have just 1 year contracts.

Robert Wilson, our new 3rd assistant coach, comes to BC after being a 3rd assistant coach across the city at Boston University. His past experience has been entirely as a Scout, so as our Scouting Assistant, I think he will do a good job.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:08 pm

2nd Assistant Coach Chris Evans

I’m the lone survivor on the BC basketball staff. After how we did last year, I’m not surprised. I was pleased that Coach Aura liked what he found out about me as a recruiter. We only have one senior on the roster this year, so it’s incumbent upon me to find the best recruit we can land to fill that one scholarship that will come open. Based on the experience and talent on our team this season, I believe that our most critical need is at SF. But if we can’t get a strong recruit at that position, I think our secondary need is a big, strong interior player. Coach Aura concurs.

With only one player to recruit, we’ll be buying the Atlantic East Regional Report and the National Report and attending the Indy Elite and Big Apple Showcase camps.

Because of the high academic standards at BC with SAT minimums set at 980, that limits the recruits it makes sense to focus upon.

Unfortunately this year there aren’t many recruits coming out of Massachusetts. The best on is a SG and is probably too highly rated for us to have a chance. But there are a few others we will put on our list. We’ll also put some recruits on our list from within our region and then also focus on some of the top rated recruits nationally and internationally.

I’m excited since recruiting season is about set to kick off. I’ll get together with Coach Aura and the other assistants later this week to go over some of the recruits I think we should put on our watch and call lists.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Jason Braxton, Boston College Athletic Director

Although BC has a great basketball history, it’s been 15 years since we’ve had a winning season or conference record. And the past 5 years our overall record has been 49-105. Our move from the Big East to the AAC 20 years ago hasn’t been a pretty one thus far. The prestige level of our basketball program is, along with Wake Forest, the lowest by far in the AAC. I’m tired of being the doormat of ACC and not getting to the NCAA Tournament. Obviously, the alumni and the BC Hoop Club feel exactly the same way. They’ve been bending my ear all 3 years I’ve been here as AD. The coach I inherited lasted two years under me at which point I didn’t renew his contract. Last season I made an effort to entice Fred Aura, but he showed no interest. I made the mistake of promoting Stan Whitehouse, who had been our 1st assistant coach, to be our head coach. That turned out to be a disastrous mistake! We finished last in the AAC and there was a lot of unrest on the team. It definitely was time for a major change.

While I really don’t expect Coach Aura to work a miracle by turning this team into an instant threat, I decided to set some high goals: (1) no academic ineligibility (an obvious goal due to our high academic standing); (2) win 15+ games; (3) finish in the top half in the conference standings; (4) qualify for the NCAA tournament; and (5) improve our basketball program prestige. I believe Fred can achieve the first and last goals, but the middle 3 will definitely be tough and #4 is very likely just a dream at this point. But I’d rather set high goals and have him miss some of them, than to set low goals that don’t require much effort and a stretch. Actually I know he’s got a major building project that will take several years. But we need to get the Eagles back to the prominence that we had in the late 20th and early 21st century.

I’m already excited by the two new assistant coaches that Coach Aura hired. They look like upgrades to those they replaced. I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to land a top-flight recruit this season who will be able to significantly contribute immediately when he gets to BC.

For the first time since I arrived at Boston College, the BC Hoop Club has shown optimism. That’s a major burden off my shoulders. Fred has been open with them and has gotten them to realize that the building process will be a gradual one. If we can develop and continue an upward trend, I believe they’ll be happy.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 pm

2025-2026 SEASON

It’s June 2025. Coach Aura is still getting his feet on the ground in Boston. His family has moved north.

It’s time for he and his staff to begin planning for Boston College’s 2025-2026 season.

2nd Assistant Coach Chris Evans

I got together with Coach Aura and we went over available recruits to create a pretty long list of recruits we will initially focus upon. I had to laugh when Coach Aura expressed surprise that many recruits have already shown some interest in our program. He said this is a big change from coaching at Towson when it took a lot of effort and repeated contacts to get recruits interested. Things are different when you’re part of the ACC. I told him, “Just think what it’s like if you’re coaching at Duke!” He rolled his eyes and said, “Yeah, and we have to play them...and North Carolina and Syracuse this season.”

Most of the recruits on our call and watch lists are SF’s, PF’s, and C’s. Now the fun begins as we try to find the right guy to fill our one available scholarship.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports