Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:11 pm

3/17: #8 seed Georgia Tech, 22-11, in the 2nd round. If we play well this should not be a problem.

3/18: Up 4 after 10. 42-24 at the half after we go on a huge run. 13 for Herd, 8 for West. Up 20 with 10 to go.

71-62. They staged a furious late comeback and got it to 5, but we held them off. 19, 5 for Herd, 14 for West. They shot better but we took 16 more shots. 12 TOs to 25.

3/19: The new probe blew up the same way the other one did.

“Let's get out of those things' way! I think they're some kind of killer drones!”

“I think Mick is right. I move we go straight ahead, as near as possible to perpendicular to the course of the space rocks, and at the maximum safe speed that we can maintain for a long time.”

After a second and a brief discussion the motion passed unanimously.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:51 pm

3/22: #12 ranked, #4 seed San Diego ST, 27-9, in the Sweet Sixteen. We played two very close games with them, winning by 4, and then by 5. Their starting PG tore up a knee and is out. He is their leading scorer, leads in assists, and is a very good defender. It's a huge loss and they have had only 2-3 practices to adjust. He was a huge factor in both of the games with us.

3/23: Slight lead early and then we get it to 10. Up 11 after 10 minutes. 43-31 at the half. Miro has 3 fouls. 11 each for Herd and Wolf. +11 RBs. Playing without their PG is really hurting them.

94-66. 25, 11 for Herd, 19, 8, 4 for Wolf, 14, 6, 3 for Stou. +24 RBs, +22 inside, 11 TOs. I don't think losing their PG made this much of a difference. The way we played tonight we would have won even if he had played.

Little used frosh guard Marc Lane hurt his wrist. He won't play again this season.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:12 pm

3/24: No underdogs left. Two brackets are 1 vs. 2, and 2 are 1 vs. 3.

We face #2 seed, #5 ranked, #5 NET Xavier, 31-6, in the Elite Eight. Their starting PG has a calf injury but he'll play. They're 7-0 vs. ranked teams. They are very good outside and they rebound well. We think we're better but we'd better come to play!

3/25: Competitive game early. Up 6 after 10. 53-40 at the half. Our D could be better but we're scoring easily. 14, 9 for Herd, 10 for Miro, 9 for Stou. +14 down low, +10 RBs.

“Don't let up and play some damn D!”

We keep scoring in the 2nd half and they can't catch us.

104-90. 24, 10 for Herd, 18, 9 for Miro, 16, 1, 7 for Buck, 12 each for Wolf and Stou. +24 in the paint.

We're in the Final Four!

There is no sign that the space rocks, or drones, or whatever they are have changed course. They don't seem to be coming after us.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm

3/31: 4 #1 seeds in the Final Four.

We play #1 seed, #4 ranked, #2 NET UCLA, 32-6. We're heavily favored. They have an ALL American at PF. The question is always whether to commit huge resources to stopping one guy, or just playing him and stopping everyone else. I usually prefer the latter but the staff and I are talking it over. They're 7-3 vs. ranked teams. Stats are close in most categories but we get 6 RBs more. Let's see what happens!

On the other side it's #3 Wisconsin vs. #2 Virginia.

4/1: Defensive battle early on. Up 7 after 10. Their PF can play! We go on a run, up 15. They come back. Up 5 after a hard fought first half. 18, 7 for Herd to more than match their PF's 16, 4. +24 in the paint, +8 RBs.

“Keep playing hard and smart. No dumb fouls. If Watson beats you, let him score. You're looking good!”

We go on a big run and lead by 21 with 10 to go. We wrap it up early. The subs are in.

88-64. Their superstar broke his arm 3 minutes into the 2nd half. 27, 10, 3, 3 for Herd, 19, 7, 4, 4 for Wolf. Good bench play. +52 in the paint, +11 RBs, 9 TOs.

We've definitely gotten our share of breaks against very good teams.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:22 pm

4/2: #2 ranked, #4 NET Virginia, 36-3, beat Wisconsin by 10. The odds makers have this rated a toss up, no favorite. They are 7-3 vs. ranked teams. They score 1.5 fewer and give up 2.6 more, and that's pretty close. They are especially good inside.

It's going to come down to who plays better. Our bench could be the difference for us.

4/3: We take a lead early on. Up 8 after 10. 52-38 at the half. 13, 5 for Wolf, 10, 7 for Miro, 9 for Stou, 7, 5 for Herd but he has 3 fouls, as does their SF. Good bench play. +16 in the paint but 12 TOs.

“Take care of the damn ball! Look, you're 20 minutes away from the greatest feeling in the world. Play hard and play smart!”

We get it to 20 quickly. Up 17 with 10 left. And it's a wrap early. Subs are in with 4 minutes left.

99-74 and national title #7 for me!

19, 10 for Miro, 16, 9, 3, 3 blocks for Wolf, 13, 9 for MOP Jim Herd, 18, 3 for Stou, 13, 5 for Fick., 5 big men kicking butt!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:23 pm

4/4: Awards: Jim Herd is tourney MOP. I am National COY again.

In the Big 10, Herd and Wolf make the 1st team. Miro makes 2nd. I get Conf. COY.

4/9: TP up to 86 from 80.

I'm open to offers. Let's see what happens. Arizona is interested. I'm flying out there.

I'm going to Arizona. They're a good team and they could contend for a title next year.

I'm reunited with a couple of guys I coached with in the past, which is nice. We know each others' styles.

I need to hire a bench coach. Got one. Beau Perl. He's experienced and has a great reputation.

4/23: I ask for money.

Wow! I get $30,000! Still not enough to buy International premium, but I can do anything else I need to do!

39-1, my 7th national title at my 5th school. Overall, after 33 seasons, 1021-203, .834. 60th birthday on May 1!

On to a new challenge!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 18, 2022 2:55 pm

5/1: Hi! I'm Kelly Stone, and I'm a student assistant on the team; I'm an incoming first year student here for summer school and to help out with some off season stuff, and I'll be working with the team from now until the end of the season, and hopefully after that, too. Coach Clark says I can do most of the reporting on what's going on with the team this year. I'm pretty excited!

We have the #4 recruiting class. We're ranked #5 in the first preseason poll.

Coach Clark is buying National Premium and International Basic Scouting reports.

5/29: Coach Clark is new here and he says that usually means some players will leave. He is VERY concerned that he has only 3 guards on the team right now. 3 players transfer out. Herb Dabb is a sophomore forward who would have gotten a few minutes here and there. Bry King is another soph forward who would not have played. Ny Mill is yet another soph forward who would not have played.

Coach says he didn't lose anybody who would have been a major contributor. He cuts a freshman who he said never would have helped us. The player will get an academic scholarship so he'll still get his education.

Round 1: Coach offers to an SG and a PF, both have us in their Top 5, and both are rated as A players. He offers to a PG who is also an A. We get 2 of the 3, an SG and a PF. Coach says they will likely both start. He wants 2 guards now.

Round 2: Coach goes after 2 guards, a B and a C. Got both.

“Coach, now that you have a full roster, how does the team look?”

“Well Kelly, it's very early but I think we got the people we need from the transfer window and we're going to be hard to beat. We're REALLY solid up front and at times I just might go with an SF at SG.”

Coach will go to all the camps, probably with both his recruiting coach and his scouting coach.

6/26: 4 scholarships. Coach says he wants 2 guards and 2 bigs.

I had a long talk with Coach about recruiting:

“In a lot of ways it's boring and annoying. It's a LOT of phone calls, a LOT of texts, visits, hosting, scouting players, talking to families, and coaches, and sometimes teachers and school administrators. It's a lot of work, and 90% or more of the work is with kids you don't wind up offering to, or kids who wind up going to other schools. But it's vital! You can't build a program unless you recruit, and now get as transfers, good players. So you need to stay upbeat throughout. I have a great recruiting assistant. Greg Robb is a real extrovert, which I'm not, and he really enjoys everything about recruiting. That takes a lot of the pressure off of me.”

8/7: The Norton list is set up to include the best players in college basketball. Our Arizona team has 5 players listed: SF Kev Wams is #5, PF Mak Wrig #8, SG Ric Tigs #19, PF Ed Bute #30, and C Dyl Cole #42.

“Coach, what about those Norton list players?”

“It's quite an honor. It definitely means we have a really good team. Of course finding minutes for all of them will be a challenge!”

“The other day you said you're not an extrovert. How does an introvert succeed in a world where most of your time is spent with other people, either in person, by phone, things like that.”

“I'm okay with all of that but I need alone time. As long as I get that alone time it all works out. It's not always easy to get though, and when I go too long without it, it shows to people who are paying close attention.”

8/21: Coach offers to: 2 PGs, a PF, and a C.

I'm really liking this so far. All the players have been here for most of the summer, taking classes, working at the two weeks of summer camps for high school and middle school kids, working for the athletic department, and doing other things. I'm getting to know all of them. Getting to know the assistant coaches, too. It's fun!

I'll interview everybody, but not until the season starts. I think it will be more meaningful then.

Jed Clark: Things are going very smoothly on the ship. I'm really busy with my stats job and coaching, but I try to find time to play piano every day, I exercise every day, and Hali and I go out on the boat at least once a week. The food continues to be excellent in all of the dining halls.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:58 pm

9/18: Got our top 2, lost the other two. Got a C, #6, and a PG, #8. Offering to a big and a guard.

No in season tournament, which is disappointing. We have a challenging schedule!

Since the semester started the players are required to go to a study hall 6 days a week. They have tutors to help them with their work. They're expected to study at other times, too, and the tutors check to make sure all their work is completed and handed in.

9/25: Got both, a PF, #33, and a PG, #34.

10/2: First day of practice. We're going to be So-o-o-o-o good. Coach is letting me come to the practices. He said if bad language bothers me I should stay away. I admit that I did blush a few times...

10/20: Practices are going really well.

11/12: Here's the lineup:

Coach says the team's biggest weakness is at Point Guard. He says that's not good as it is the most important position. Anyways, Jord Eard, a soph who started for Miami (FL) last season, starts at PG. Coach says his strength is as a defender, and he's athletic.

Soph Rick Tigs starts at Shooting Guard. He was at Xavier last season.

“He's a shooter, Kelly. We think he can gets us lots of points. He's a better than average defender.”

#3 guard is another soph, Ben Coll, who started for California last season.

“If either of the starting guards doesn't make it, Ben will start.”

Coach says we're in trouble at guard after the first 3. #4 is Rob Arky, a junior who has been here all along but he's never played much, and coach says he won't this year, either.

“If I have injuries my SF will play SG.”

The last guard is Jam Hous, a 5th year senior who has never developed.

“He's a practice player. Only gets in at garbage time.”

The starting Small Forward and 1st sub at SG, is freshman Kev Wams.

“He's the real deal. His only fault is he makes bonehead plays now and then.”

Mak Wrig, a 3 year starter at Syracuse, is here for his senior year, starting at PF.

“This guy averaged a double double last season. The sky's the limit for him!”

Senior Ed Bute is at Center. This will be his 4th season starting for us. He's not a big scorer but he's a glass eater and a really good defender.

Junior Dyl Cole will get equal time with the other three bigs. He does almost everything well but he's another guy who makes bonehead plays.

2nd big man off the bench is freshman Ross Cort.

“He has lots of potential. He'd start for a lot of teams.”

Next is senior Brad Wilk, who was the first big man off the bench in each of the last three seasons for us.

“We got better and Brad didn't, but I don't get nervous when he's in there.”

Finally, there's Cris Burt, a junior forward.

“Strictly a practice player.”

Coach says we could be deeper, especially at guard, but if we stay healthy we should have a very good season!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:50 am

11/15: Let's see if the team is as good as Coach thinks it is. With all of his experience I'm thinking he's a good judge!

11/26: We start the season with 4 easy wins.

We opened with Indiana here, and won74-50. Coach was really happy with the D. Dyl Cole, one of our 4 awesome big men, had 20 and 7. Guard Rick Tigs had 17 and 3. 10 and 14 for Mak Wrig. We dominated inside.

95-84 over Butler here in our closest game. It was tied at the half. 25, 10 for Kev Wams, 23, 6 for Wrig, 19, 3, 3, 3 for Tigs. We wore them down and again dominated inside.

“Coach, it was 50-50 at the half. In the 2nd you continued to score and they didn't. What's the explanation?”

“We have 4 bigs guys who we shuttle in and out regularly. I try to give each of them regular, short rests. While the other team's players are getting worn down, my big guys stay fresh.”

Next came #11 Syracuse. We beat them 81-57 here. Again, it was close for a half and then we took over in the 2nd. Mak Wrig led us with 16, 8, 3, 4 steals, 3 blocks. Syracuse succumbed to our inside game as everyone has so far.

I caught up with Mak Wrig after the game. He started for three seasons at Syracuse before transferring here this year.

“Mak, how did it feel to go up against your old team?”

“It felt weird.”

“You were easily the best player on either team. Were you trying to prove something to Syracuse.”

“Oh nah. They're my friends over there. I just did what I always do, tried to play the best game I can play.”

“Are you happy here at Arizona?”

“Oh yeah! When I heard Coach was coming here I knew this was the place for me. One of my dreams is to win the NCAAs, and I've got a better shot here
than I did at Syracuse.”

Our first road game was at Illinois. We won 81-64, and they never led. 19, 8 for Wrig, 13, 9, 5 for C/F Ed Bute, 17, 4 for Wams, 14, 5 for Cole. If there's a team that's better down low, I'll be surprised.

We're now ranked #3.

I'm really enjoying this. The staff, especially Coach Clark are really good about answering my questions, a lot of which must seem pretty dumb. But they answer patiently. The guys are great. They tease me a little now and then but they're never inappropriate, just trying to be funny. The coaches spend time on teaching the players how to act in public, around women... And they don't tolerate any inappropriate behavior, not that it happens very often.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 am

12/10: 4 more wins including one over the #1 ranked team.

80-59 vs. Wichita ST. our typical pattern, up only 2 at the half then we took charge in the 2nd. 17, 11 for Cole, 17, 10 for Wrig, 13, 8 for Buta. Total dominance inside again.

89-65 at Baylor. We led all the way in this one. 21, 8 for Wams, 13, 15, 4 blocks for Cole, 16, 8 for Bute. +22 TBS, +16 in the paint.

Two injuries in this game, both to players who don't play much. Guard Ben Coll strained a calf and is out for a couple of weeks. He's our 2nd option off the bench among guards. Brad Wilk, a C/F who doesn't play much, hurt his wrist. He'll miss a game.

We easily beat #1 ranked Virginia, 97-81 here. It was 52-28 at the half. They scored some points but they just couldn't stop us. 22, 7, 5 for Bute, 15, 10, 3, 3 for Wrig, 15, 9, 4 for Wams, 10, 12, 3 for Cole.

The press is starting to refer to our “Big 4,” Wrig, Wams, Cole, and Bute, the four big men who seem to control every game.

Then it was 68-49 at Marquette. A game of two completely different halves, 50-33 in the first and 18-16 in the 2nd. Weird! 21, 11, 5 blocks for Wrig, 14, 7, 4 for Wams. As usual, we completely controlled the paint.

I'm talking with Dyl Cole:

“Dyl, you're putting up some great numbers, even better than last season.”

“Yeah. It really helps to have so many really good big men. The other team can't focus on any one of us. The coaches figure out who the weak defenders are on the other team and our game plan is to get the ball to the guy or guys they're guarding. It's working great so far.”

“What happens if you play a team with all good defenders inside?”

“There aren't many teams like that, but if we do we can go inside/outside, let our guards get some open looks, set picks, use back door cuts- there's all kinds of things we can do.”

“Can you win it all this year?”

“That's the goal!”

(Author's note: In both this association and in the other one, and maybe in general, I need to tighten up the house rules on Recruiting, and develop some for Transfers, which I'm having trouble figuring out how to do- Transfers, that is. Also, man-to-man is clearly the way to go on defense. I've become all but invincible since going to man-to-man 100% of the time, especially when I play the game out and max out the D late in the game and/or go to the press more often late in close games. Thinking it all through.)
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports