Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 pm

12/1: At 2-2 Nevada. They have a good inside game but they turn it over. Their only game against a ranked team was a 28 point loss.

Their starting PF is out with a pulled groin.

12/2: “Don't let them beat you inside.”

Slow start. Up 3 after 10. We're not hitting shots. Down 10 at the half. Their bench has 13 points; ours has none. -10 RBs. 9 TOs which is way too many. Shooting 28%.

“You took 11 threes in the first half. STOP SHOOTING THREES!”

Max and man. Down 1 with 10 left. They're beating us inside. OT!

80-78 in OT! 24, 4, 6, 5 steals for Sams. 13, 8 for both Tuck and Bowe. 11, 6, 3, 4 steals for Coll. Berr had 8 TOs- awful!

-6 RBs. 7 fewer TOs but 15 is too many.

I'll take the win.

“Greetings ship. You are in our territory. Explain your mission, please.”

Not what we expected. The Captain spoke, of course.

“Where are you located? We hear your voice but have no visual.”

“We will offer that information when we feel it is safe to do so.”

“Our mission is one of exploration. We are a peaceful race on a peaceful mission. We are exploring the galaxy to learn of it. We will not settle anywhere. We have no interest in
conquest.”

“How can our people know this?”

“Look at our crew. All onboard are of the same species, with the same basic structure and anatomy.”

“There are six children who appear to be different.”

“Ah, yes. One of the sentient races we encountered, the Tralmorians, wished to mate with us. There were 12 matings. Six of the children are being raised on their ship, or perhaps on their home planet, we don't know, and six are on our ship. The twelve children all stayed with their birth mothers.”

“This is unusual.”

“Yes. We were reluctant, but we discovered that many on board our ship favored doing this, so we eventually moved forward and did it.”

“We will not mate with you.”

“We did not expect that you would. We have mated with none of the other species that we've encountered.”

“Do you have weapons?”

“We have devices capable of redirecting or perhaps destroying an object in space that might collide with us and cause us harm. These devices have never been used for any other purpose.”

“But they could serve as weapons, could they not?”

“They could. It is not our intention to use them as such unless our lives or our ship are in jeopardy.”

“We will consider your responses. Please remain in orbit around Jarkooo while we decide whether you are welcome in our world. We are the Jarkaan.”

We did. No problem. They never said how long we'd need to wait.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 pm

12/12: 1-7 Hartford is here. They beat us at their place last season and I lost sleep over it for weeks. This should be a walkover.

12/13: Not looking forward to this.

As expected we're flat. Up 5 after 10; they look bored. Up 1 at the half. -7 RBs, 7 fewer TOs. The only good news is that we took only three threes. Missed them all. Bowe has 3 fouls and has done next to nothing. Coll is playing well.

“Maybe I won't max out the D. Maybe I won't go to man. I shouldn't need to do any of that against this team. How about you freakin' play!”

Down 2 with 10 left so I max the D and go to man.

75-66. Horrible. 13, 1, 4, 7 steals for Coll; my Center got 1 RB and somehow he was our best player tonight. 16, 3, 3 for Berr.

-7 RBs, 11 fewer TOs. They shot 49%; we let a 1-7, now 1-8 team shoot 49%! Truly a night to forget but my fear is I won't forget it and will lose as much sleep as I did last year when we played them.

I'm not a big drinker but I had a couple before going to sleep. I only drink at home. No way I will ever get a DUI.

A week off. We just had 6 days off. I wish we'd get a break like that during the conference season.

Still no word from the Jarkaan. We've been exploring this planet and its moon for long enough. There isn't much of interest. The planet has an atmosphere but it's all mountain and ocean, and nothing lives in the ocean. The moon is lifeless.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:46 pm

12/19: #10 Miami, 10-0, is here. We're #12. We've played one ranked team so far. We got hammered. They're a 3 ½ point favorite. They're very good outside, their SG is an All American. They play terrific D. 1-0 vs. ranked teams. This team does everything well; they're undefeated for a reason- for lots of reasons.

12/20: Back and forth. Up 1 after 10. Run puts us up 12 at the half. 18 for Sams, 13 each for Bowe and Coll. +6 RBs. +8 on 2nd chances. Berr has 3 fouls.

“Okay, so far so good. Keep your focus. No more dumb fouls!”

Up 23 with 10 left!

94-81 but it wasn't that close. GREAT win!

21, 8, 3, 3 for Coll, 20, 12 for Bowe, 23, 1, 6 for Sams, 9, 3, 6 for Rice.

+6 RBs. They shot 51.9% but we shot 57.4%, and were, amazingly, 6-14 on threes! +9 from the line. +10 on 2nd chances, +6 in the paint. We beat #10 handily!

“People of the ship, hear our words.”

“This is Captain Gray.”

“We have been observing you closely since your arrival here. Your words and your actions lead us to believe that you are peaceful. Please proceed to the second planet in our system,
Jarkee. Its moon, Jarkeau is where we will meet you. We have done extensive testing on the atmosphere in your ship. It is our conclusion that you will be able to breathe the atmosphere on Jarkeau and on Jarkee, should we allow you there. You may do your own testing.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 pm

12/25: At the end of pre-conf play we are 10-1. #11, NET #3. +8.0 PPG, +only 0.3 RBs, -7.2 TOs (10.4, #1). Gary Sams leads us in points with 16.3. Jan Bowe gets 15.0, and is #2 in RBs.
All 5 starters are in double figures. Hal Tuck leads in RBs with 8.8. Sams leads in assists with 4.5, and Trey Berr gets 4.3. We need to do better on the boards.

#22 Purdue, 10-1, is here to open Big Ten play. Their backcourt can SCORE! Our front court should have a big edge. Hope it's enough!

12/26: “Don't let them beat you outside!”
It's a battle early. Up 3 after 10. A run! Up 10 at the half. Sams had 3 fouls and was ineffective. The other starters all scored between 7 and 10. We shot over 50%, they shot under 40%.

Up 18 with 10 left.

75-61. We beat another good team.

15, 8 for Coll, 14, 9 for Bowe. 17, 0, 4 for Berr.

9 TOs to 17. We outplayed those good guards of theirs.

We've done the testing of their atmosphere and it is essentially identical to Earth's. Captain Gray and I shuttle down to the moon's surface and meet with the Jarkaan leaders.

They are friendly but cautious. They do not travel beyond their solar system and have never encountered other sentient beings until now. We take it slow.

We will need to tell them about the Muuugleee collective but it's too soon. After four hours of discussion we tell them we need to get back to our ship.

They want us to stay longer. We explain the nature of the work each of us does and how it is difficult for us to be away for long periods of time.

After a good deal of discussion they agree to come to the ship for further talks. They agree to allow our explorers to visit the moon and the planet, under their guidance.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:42 am

12/27: At 6-4 Illinois. Another team with a very good outside game. They take good care of the ball. This one could be a challenge.

12/28: We jump out to a quick early lead. They come back. Tied after 10. 34-40 at the half; I maxed the D with 4 minutes left, down 11. They're shooting 50%. Coll has 3 fouls. 13 TOs, which is awful. -16 in the paint, -9 on 2nd chances, so we're getting beat in lots of ways.

“Any time you'd like to actually wake up would be good. We're going to man-to-man.”

Down 7 with 10 left; it's not happening.

78-85. We got it to 1 late, then they rallied. Their starting guards combined for 40, but ours had 35. Front court was 31-36.

24 for Berr, 18, 4 for Bowe, 11 each for Sams and Tuck. Coll was totally outplayed.

20 TOs- disgusting. -20 in the paint, -10 on 2nd chances so we lost it inside. This is the worst inside team I've coached.

We're meeting regularly with the Jarkaan. They have a seemingly endless supply of questions and they want to see everything on the ship and learn about all of the peoples we've met.

We decide the time has come to tell them about the Muuugleee. It doesn't go well...

“You are saying that there is a species travelling through space and forcing other species to join them and then telling them what to think and how to live.”

“Yes, we were able to outrun them but we suspect they have many ships. The galaxy is huge, of course but there is no telling when or if they may reach a certain place.”

“We find it difficult to believe that such a race can exist. Did you attempt to negotiate with them?”

“They were unwilling to negotiate.”

“We must ponder this.”

The Jarkaan do a lot of “pondering.” They seem to be at least somewhat telepathic with each other and often go into a sort of meditative state when, we assume, they are “pondering.”

They live simply. They have electricity and they light their cities and homes with it, but they have very few things that are not necessities. We have not been able to find signs of recreation- no video except for news and things similar to our documentaries. No sports or games. It may be that they entertain themselves in ways we do not understand, or perhaps the notion of entertaining themselves is foreign to them. They showed neither interest nor comprehension when we introduced them to our many forms of entertainment.

No sign that they do anything related to the arts. They are a sadly serious group. We will be leaving here soon to continue our exploration of the galaxy elsewhere.

We are very concerned that if the Jarkaan should find their way here, the Muuugleee would be easily absorbed.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:19 am

1/1/2039: At 3-9, 1-2 Nebraska. This is a team we should beat; they're not very good.

1/2: Back and forth. Tied after 10. They go on a run. Down 20 at the half. No D at all, 68.8% to our 35.7%. 12 TOs! 12 in the paint.

“This is embarrassing. You're getting your asses kicked by a lousy team. Max and man.”
Down 11 with 10 left.

74-76. We tied it 3 times but never took the lead. We had three shots in the last minute to tie or take a lead and missed all three.

Not much to say. We got beat by a really poor team. I didn't talk to the players afterward because I was too upset with the lack of effort. The staff will think about changes.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:34 am

1/3: #3 Michigan ST, 11-2, 1-0. here. Probably not a good idea to make these changes when we're playing maybe the toughest team on our schedule.

We'll see. On paper we're in trouble.

Major changes: Rico is starting at the Point; Berr just isn't getting it done. Mack iks starting at SF, Bowe moving to PF, Tuck moving to C, Coll sitting.

We leave the Jarkaan system.

1/4: Down 9 after 10. They're tough. Down 14 at the break. -8 from the line which is a big factor. +7 on the boards. Too many TOs. -17 with 10 left.

81-89. It wasn't really that close. 14, 13 for Tuck, 19, 4 for Bowe, 14, 9, 3 for Mack, 15, 1, 7 for Sams. We gave up too many points and turned it over too often, 17.

14, 6, 3-24, 10, 7 by the benches, so that was the difference. Our former starters could have done better.

My teams don't lose 3 in a row too often...
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:47 am

1/5: At 2-9, 0-2 Northwestern. Their starting SG broke his hand in the first game of the season. On paper we're a lot better and we're desperate for a win.

1/6: We take a lead. Up only 2 after 10. Up 10 at the half. We're looking good. 55.6% to 43.3%. +11 in the paint. Balanced scoring. We're holding their big scorer down.

“Don't let up.”

Up 13 with 10 to go.

85-72. They get it to 4 late but we rally.

19, 5 for Sams, 14, 6, 3 for Bowe, 10, 1, 10, 8 steals for Rico.

Both teams shot over 50%, so no D, as usual. 17 TOs but they had 26. +10 in the paint.

Hal Tuck hurt his back. It's not good and the doc says he'll miss two weeks. Coll is back in the starting lineup.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 am

1/12: At 10-7, 3-3 Indiana. We're favored but the stats are close and it's a road game. They are strongest at PG and C, where we're weakest.

We're 12-4, 2-3, #15.

1/13: It's close early. Up 3 after 10. Up 6 at the half. 14, 6 for Bowe, 8, 10 for Mack, 9, 2, 4, 3 for Sams. +11 RBs, +8 in the paint. Down 3 with 10 to play.

77-83 and yet another loss. We were in this one until the last 30 seconds; couldn't bring it home.

22, 11 for Bowe, 13, 5, 6, 3 steals for Sams, 12, 10 for Mack, Hern had 12, 4, 3. Coll was in over his head but we're stuck with him until Tuck heals.

9 fewer TOs, We took 19 more shots, made 2 fewer, 33.3% to 50%. In other words we didn't shoot well OR defend well.

To make a bad situation worse, Ken Coll hurt his calf. He'll miss our next game. Hern will start at SF, Mack to PF, Bowe to C.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:00 am

1/15: 5-11, 3-4 Nebraska is here. This is a team we should be, they're not very good. But they won by 2 at their place.

1/16: We take an early lead. Up 9 after 10. Up 11 at the half after leading by 18. The backcourt is doing the scoring, 12 for Sams, 11 for Rico. Only 4 TOs. We're not shooting well yet again, 34.4%, to 47.6%. Up only 6 with 10 to go.

73-66. Sams led the way with 28 and 3. 14, 2, 6 for Rico, who has adjusted well to starting. 11, 5, 5, 4 for Mack.

Terrible shooting again. Only 10 TOs to 22.

Coll is healthy but I'm sticking with Hern. After this game Tuck is back.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports