Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:24 pm

3/16: Up 6 after 10. They're playing too well. Up only 4 at halftime. Their inside game is playing hard. Tied with 10 to go. Not good! Late mini-run!

82-70 but for 38 minutes it was a game. We woke up VERY late! 18, 9, 6 for Wall, most of them late. 15, 5 for Haus.

+6 in RBs, again, mostly late11 TOs to their 17. We shot a little better, 46% to 42.6%; we took 9 more shots and made 6 of them. Excellent from the
line, 21-24.

This was a lot more trouble than we expected. There's probably a lesson in there.

#5 seed, #16 ranked Butler, 27-7, in the 2nd round. Good team, especially outside. Their Sf is top shelf. They play solid man-to-man D. We need to do the same and find the open man.

No new "surprises" on board.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:55 pm

3/18: Up 11 after 10. Up 19 at the break. Wall is owning their SF! Up 22 with 10 left.

81-52. Made it to the Sweet Sixteen! First time ever, both for me and for Wright ST. Never expected it to be so easy! No one in their starting lineup scored more than 4 points; that's incredible!

21, 5 for 6th man Uwe Haus. He has been solid for us all season. 17, 6 for Gaut Wall and he held their go to guy to 4 points! 11, 5, 10 for Mill, 12, 4, 8 for Brad.

+9 RBs. 15 TOs which does NOT make me happy; they had 19. WE held them to 31%, 21.7% on threes. Great win.

#8 seed UCLA, 23-10, shocked #1 Oklahoma. We play them next. We're a 1 1/2 point favorite but on paper it looks close. They play mostly man-to-man and they are tough to score against. They are deliberate on O and they try to work it inside. They have a deep bench so Haus and Heno will need to step up. We feel like we should out rebound them, and we think we can turn them over. But this won't be easy. I'd LOVE to exceed my goal and get to the round of 8.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm

3/23: Uh oh! Down early. Down 4 after 10. Up 3 at the half. It's a battle! Up 5 with 10 to go. Late run!

68-57! We're going to the Elite Eight!!! 26, 7 for Gaut Wall. No one else had more than 10 but we played great D!

+2 on the boards, 7 fewer TOs; we had an awful 17 but we forced 24. We took 14 more shots and made 8. We held their leading scorer to 11. Great win!

Unranked #10 seed Syracuse, 23-12, is next. We're a 2 1/2 point favorite. They play a lot of 1-3-1, which we haven't seen very much. That could be a problem with only one practice to prepare. They don't press much. On O they go inside on almost every possession. They play solid D but they don't score much. We average 6 1/2 more RBs, and 4 fewer TOs, BUT they have played 10 top 25 opponents, going 6-4. We'll need to be at our best.

#4 vs. #6 in the East bracket, #4 vs. #10 here, #4 vs. #6 in the South. The West held up. #1 vs. #2.

All work computers have been searched in as much depth as possible. The security people think there is a very low possibility of another attack.
Still, everyone is on edge, worried that something will explode.

The Captain (judge) has said that jury selection will begin on April 9.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 pm

3/25: Back and forth. Down 7 after 10. Mini-run! Up 1 at the half. Very back and forth so far. Down 3 with 10 left.

72-77. We got it to 2 with 30 seconds left. Damn! They scored 2 more threes than we did and 3 more free throws. What did us in was a tie for season worst 23 TOs.

Last game for seniors Roy Star, Chris Mack, and Jay Heno. They will all be missed.

Great season. I'm disappointed that we didn't get to the Final Four, but I can't let that take away from all we accomplished.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 pm

4/3: #24 ranked Louisville is the national champion. They beat #21 Penn ST.

4/4: Awards: Gaut Wall is MVC POY and 1st team, along with Roy Star. Chris Mack makes the 2nd team. Uwe Haus is Frosh OY even though he didn't start. He deserves it! I am Conf. COY.

We met all our goals. Out TP goes from 37 to 46.

Will I move? It would take a really good offer.

4/7: I'm flying out to Cal Berkeley to take a look. I'm tempted

4/8: I am VERY tempted.

4/9: I accepted the job at California Berkeley. There's a lot of work to be done.

Jury selection began today. The judge ruled that the Council was eligible for jury duty. 20 jurors were questioned today and 9 were selected. I get grilled tomorrow.

4/10: Damn! I got selected for the jury. The jury is now complete. The trial begins tomorrow. Really happy to say that I was NOT selected as the jury foreman. I was nominated. I declined. I was told I couldn't decline. Nellie Pierce got the job. She got 7 votes, I got 5. She got my vote!

4/11: Opening statements. I'm trying my best to keep an open mind. I think that's important. Frankly though, I don't think Will's attorney has much of a case. Clearly, neither does he. He's going for an insanity plea. That's worth listening to.

4/13: The prosecution rested just before lunch. VERY strong case and a mountain of evidence.

4/14: The defense spent its entire time talking about insanity. They didn't deny that Will did everything he is accused of. The case got sent to the jury at the end of the day. We begin deliberations in the morning.

4/15: We convicted in three hours. We rejected the insanity plea.

4/18: The judge sentenced Will today. There really is no way for us to incarcerate someone for years. The sentence was death by lethal injection, to be carried out in 30 days. The defense attorney asked for time to appeal. The Captain/judge granted 30 days for the appeal to be filed and then heard by a panel of three judges. So Will gets a short reprieve. The judge made it clear that if the appeal is unsuccessful the execution will take place a week later.

4/23: I ask for money. This is a tough conference and we don't have the recruiting budget we need.

No. The A. D. Says it's simply not in the budget but he'll try to set some money aside next year.

32-6, quite a season, and back to back 30 win seasons! 177-60, .747 after 7 years.

Things are beginning to get back to normal. We're still on short rations, well not short, but restricted choices. The kitchen staff and grain growers are saying they hope to get back to normal on or about July 1. That would be great. Special Sundays are a big hit and they are helping.

The fear of another explosion is lessening. While I'm sure it's not impossible it seems unlikely. It's clear that Will Karr was acting alone.

Our people were very carefully screened. It's surprising that someone as twisted as Will managed to get through the testing process. It's doubtful that anyone else did. I suppose it's always possible that someone could become unbalanced, but let's hope not.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:14 pm

5/1: We buy the West Gold, and both the National and International scouting reports.

Recruit class rank #114. We only had 2 guys. They'll both help us, but maybe not right away.

5/21: The three judge panel heard the appeal today. The defense attorney really made some good points regarding mental illness and it being wrong to execute a man who is mentally ill. The appeal was denied. Execution set for 5/30.

5/24: Will killed himself in his cell today.

6/5: We have 3 open spots on the roster. We're looking at transfers. Since we have no seniors this season it's possible that we could fill all 3 spots with transfers and not need to recruit. Unlikely though. I'd say we need at least 2 guards.

6/15: We get a PG who started at FL. He looks like a really good player.

6/25: We're not going to spend money on camps.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:20 pm

6/26: Recruiting begins. We have 2 scholarships. We want one big, one guard, or 2 guards.

I haven't been talking about tournaments. Participation was very low while we all felt threatened by the explosions. Kelly Geer really tried, but people were hunkering down.

Now the tournaments are back. Lacy and I didn't have much luck in either pitch or poker, but I finished third in a 9 ball tourney.

Pinochle tournaments have begun but Lacy and I don't play, at least yet.

7/17: We're seriously going after 9 recruits and looking at quite a few others. The 9 are all showing at least some interest.

8/7: Tafa Akpo, a PF/C is #40 on the Norton list. My first ever player to make that list.

8/21: We offer to a PG and a C. They're both interested, but probably both long shots.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:38 pm

9/18: We think we're really close with both of our recruits and with our two top backups as well.

We're in the Hawaiian Shootout vs. Illinois State. The A. D. Put together a fairly challenging schedule.

9/25: We get both recruits, a C, #52, and a PG, #221 but he's much better than that. They're both good students. Our SAT score is 1000 but they should be able to hit it.

I won this month's 9 ball tourney! Frankly, I was playing way over my head and my final opponent missed a shot he should have made. But still, I'm thrilled!

It was a good month for tourneys. Lacy and I finished 2nd in pitch, and I was 4th in poker with Lacy 5th.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 pm

10/2: First day of practice. We're definitely stronger inside than outside. I think we'll play good D, and I think we'll do well on the boards. My teams usually do well taking care of the ball. That needs work right now.

10/22: There's something shiny way out at the edge of our telescopic range. Too soon to have any idea what it is.

11/14: The season starts tomorrow. Here's our lineup:

Frosh Tim Smid is at PG. Soph Jim Culn will back him up.

Soph Hal Huss is at SG. Red shirt frosh Sam Rock backs up.

Soph Jon Blen starts at SF. He started toward the end of last season.

Our best player, Junior Tafa Akpo is at PF.

Red shirt Soph Flip Hart is in the middle.

Our first big guy off the bench, at all three spots, is Soph Nat Sims. Soph Cole Shyn and Frosh Sam Milt are hoping for playing time inside.

We open against 0-1 Louisiana-Lafayette here. They are stronger inside than outside but that's not based on a lot this early in the season. In their opener they turned it over 20 times.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:36 pm

11/15: Close early. Then a run puts us up 10 after 10. Too many whistles! Up 10 at halftime. Up 5 with 10 to play. I ramp up the D. That does the trick.

86-68. C Flip Hart led us with 18 and 3. 15, 1, 6 for PG Tim Smid. 11, 8, 3 for SF Jon Blen. 10, 8 for sub Nat Sims. 11, 3 for Tafa Akpo but he completely shut down his man.

+12 RBs, 8 TOs to their 15. 81.1% from the line. +16 in the paint. Good opener!

Off to the Hawaiian Shootout. We open against #6 seed Illinois ST, 0-1. We're #3. Some good teams ahead if we can win the first one. Ill. ST has a very good PG but he doesn't get much help. We should control the inside. Watch out for their SF, he can shoot.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports