Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:25 pm

9/18: We feel like we're close with all 3 recruits.

Tip-Off Tourney vs. Missouri. Schedule is a bit more challenging, but not a lot.

9/25: We get the C, #101. Lose a PF but offer to another one.

10/2: We get both PFs, #85 and #208.

Only 2 players still worry us academically.

1st day of practice. I think I'm going to like this team. All 5 starters are back and we have a deep bench. I thought we might be ranked preseason. We're not, but we're picked to win the MVC.

We're seeing what looks like a flaming rock way way out at the edge of sensor range. Hm... It will be a while before we know more.

11/13: Season opens here tomorrow. Here's the lineup, at least for now:

Returning starting PG Josh Mill, a junior, will battle it out with senior Jay Heno.

Junior Marc Brad is back at SG, playing a little PG.

Juco junior Troy Ross would like to find some minutes at guard. Unless we get injuries Will Wade will struggle to get minutes.

Gaut Wall, a soph, is back at SF.

Senior Roy Star is back at PF.

Senior Chris Mack is back in the middle.

Frosh Uwe Haus, from Germany, is our first big off the bench and he looks very good. Gil Writ, another frosh F/C, needs to ramp up his D if he hopes to get minutes. Soph
Mike Reed probably won't play much unless injuries strike us.

I think we have a real shot at another 30 win season and a Sweet Sixteen appearance.

We open against Eastern Michigan. It's way too early for us to have any decent info about them but they are usually a pretty good team.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:52 pm

11/14: Back and forth early, then we take a lead. Up 6 after 10. Up 14 at the half. Rookie 6th man Uwe Haus looks really good. Up 17 with 10 to play.

82-58. An easy win to start the season. 13, 8 for Gaut Wall, who is picking up right where he left off last season. 14, 6 for F/C Uwe Haus in only 17 minutes. 13, 3, 7 for Brad.

+7 RBs. 9 TOs to 27. We took 23 more shots and that was the difference as we hit 11 of them. +12 on 2nd chances.

The Tip-Off Classic is loaded. We start against #4 seed Missouri. If we get by them the #1 seed is 9th ranked Texas. If we get to the final it would likely be #12 ranked Louisville, so this tourney will give us a definite early season test.

2-0 Missouri is led by their SG and their PF. They're not that strong at PG and they're still trying to figure it out in the middle.

We have a little more info on the flaming rock. First, it's about the size of Deimos, the smaller of the two moons of Mars. This rock is less than 10 miles across at it's widest point. We have no idea why it seems to be in flames, if indeed it is. That could be illusory. We're so far away it's hard to say, but something sure looks like flames. Given the size of the rock it would burn out its fuel supply very quickly so this is a puzzle. We'll learn more as we approach it.

I don't talk that much about work. I'm the numbers guy. I crunch the numbers- any and all numbers relevant to what we're doing onboard the ship.

I spent the day in the hydroponic gardens, counting plants. We typically take and use the numbers that the workers give us, but 3-4 times a year we do an actual count. My staff and I spent the day doing that. We grow things in lots of areas of the ship so it was a busy day. We didn't learn anything that helped us with the count that seems to be off.

From what we're seeing we have plenty of crops, both short and long term.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:06 pm

11/18: We take an early lead but they come back. Up 2 after 10. Run! Up 8 at the break. We take charge. Up 18 with 10 to play.

98-81. Another romp. HUGE game for Mack, 33, 6, 2, 3 steals, 3 blocks. 20, 6, 5, with 4 steals for Wall. 17, 4, 5 for Brad, 13, 9, 4 for Star. Haus had 8 and 5.

10 TOs to 23. We are really causing TOs!

We took 24 more shots and made 10. +12 on 2nd chances, +8 in the paint.

#1 seed, #9 ranked Texas, 1-1, in the semifinals. They're favored by 1 1/2. But they aren't scoring, averaging only 61.5. But they play very solid D. We need to turn them over, and play solid D.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:45 pm

11/19: Back and forth. Up 1 after 10. Down 4 at the half. Up 5 with 10 left.

72-63. We finished really strong! 6th man C/F Uwe Haus led us with 16 and 6. 12, 6 for Star. 3 guys had 10. -4 RBs but we had only 8 TOs to their 17. We shot poorly, 37.3%, but we took 6 more shots and we made 8 threes to their 2. We were +7 from the line. Haus looks like he's really going to make a difference for us this year.

Post Game Press Conference (Excerpts):

Q: Coach, you just beat the #9 team in the nation. It looks like you're headed for another great season.

Coach Clark: It's early, but I'm definitely happy with the win.

Q: What were the key factors?

Coach: We took really good care of the ball, and we didn't get rattled when they went up by 10. We had 8 guys who contributed and excellent bench play. We didn't shoot it well but we just kept shooting. Sometimes guys get gun shy when it's not going in, but that didn't happen.

Q: What about Uwe Haus?

Coach: Uwe has really played well so far. I couldn't be happier. Tonight he was a force late in the game; he had a lot to do with the result. And when Star got in foul trouble we didn't lose a thing when Uwe came in for him.

#10 ranked, #3 seed Washington next. Your thoughts?

Coach: My thoughts are that the coaching staff will be up all night breaking down video and coming up with a strategy to try to beat them.

Q: The new poll has you at #13.

Coach: That's great. I'm hoping to have a really good season, something like last year but going deeper in the NCAAs. I think if we stay healthy that could happen.

Q: Thanks Coach.

#10 Washington is 3-0, all easy wins. They don't score much but they may be the best defensive team in the country. They also rebound really well. We're going to need to find ways to score, and we need to come close to breaking even on the boards. We need to play well to have a shot at this one.

All 3 recruits sign so we're finished with recruiting. We feel like this is a very strong group.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:59 pm

11/20: We fall behind early but not far behind. Down 7 after 10. Still close. Down 9 at the half after they go on a mini-run. Down 12 with 10 left. We press but it's not helping.

78-93. Not tonight. 20 and 5 for Gaut Wall. 12, 3, 6 for Mill, 10, 3, 6, 4 steals for Brad, 14, 3 for Star. Mack was outplayed and Haus had 10 but no RBs.

-14 RBs. 10 TOs to 19. We let them shoot 59.3% and that did us in. Also, bench play hurt a lot- 43, 19, 13 to our 18, 1, 1. +12 in the paint.

Unless we have an off night we shouldn't lose again in the regular season. We'll see about that though.

2-1 No. Illinois is at our place next. This should be one sided.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 am

11/21: Back and forth. Up 5 after 10. Mini-run. Up 23 at the break. Up 22 with 10 to play.

86-54. Embarrassingly easy. Roy Star led us with 18 and 15. 16, 4 for Brad, 15, 5 for Wall. +14 RBs, only 6 TOs to 18.We held them to 33.3%. 15-1 on 2nd chances.

Expensive win. Marc Brad broke his nose. He's out for 2 months, until late January. Jay Heno will start, but Troy Ross will get minutes.

AT 1-2 Perverterian next. This should be another blowout, even with Brad out.

Next season I'm going to beef up the pre-conference schedule. We don't learn much when we blow people out.

The flaming rock will be close enough for a really good observation in about 3 weeks. That's because we're sending a probe out. The probe will be close enough in mid-December. Depending upon what the probe shows us we may or may not crash it into the rock.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:57 am

11/24: Early lead but they're staying close. Tied after 10. Down 4 at the half. I am NOT happy! Mini-run. Up 6 with 10 to play.

68-66 on Roy Star's 8 footer with a hand in his face. We took these guys way too lightly and we almost paid the price. Practices will NOT be fun for awhile- until we wake up.

14, 9 for Star, 13, 5, 3 for Wall. Current #3 guard Troy Ross had 16 but his D was awful. We need to decide between Heno's D and Ross' O. It will probably change game to game.

+4 RBs, 12 TOs. They made their free throws, 20-25, we didn't, 11-21. Fortunately we took 12 more shots from the field and made 5 of them.

0-4 Princeton is here. We feel like we should own the inside, and they turn it over a lot. Still giving Heno and Ross about equal time at guard. In fairness to both I will likely keep doing that for awhile.

We drop to #20, due to the loss to Washington.

My computer experts finally figured out the discrepancy regarding the grain counts. There was a glitch DEEPLY buried in the system that was under reporting the count.
The geeks are saying there's no way it can be accidental. That's not good. They're now going to have to do deep analyses of every computer on the ship. They'll be pulling extra shifts for months. Sucks to be them!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:20 pm

11/28: Back and forth. Up 3 after 10. We're just not the same without Brad. Tied at the half. Too close. Down 8 with 10 to play. Late run!

72-57. It took WAY too long for us to take charge. It only happened in the last 5 minutes.

13, 11, 2 with 3 steals for Wall, 15, 9 for Star. 12, 1, 5 with 4 steals for Ross, who outplayed Heno tonight (7, 1, 2), and his D was a little better.

+5 RBs. 7 TOs and we turned them over 23 times. We shot only 33.8% but we took 23 more shots. +12 at the line.

+12 in the paint, +15 on 2nd chances.

I'm glad we're not playing many tough teams right now. Mediocre teams are really testing us. Glad Brad will be back before Feb.!

At a decent IUPUI team, 2-2 vs. decent teams, next. They have a very good SG so Heno will get more minutes, since he's the better defender. Their backcourt is solid, as is their bench. We need to turn them over, and we need to score against their mediocre D.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:05 pm

12/1: They take an early lead. Down 10 after 10. I'm shocked that they're beating us inside. Trying to wake my big guys up. Tied at the half. We're playing a little better. Down 4 with 10 to go.

87-83. Tough one! Bench play did it for us, 39, 8, 10 to 28, 12, 4. Mack led us with 16 and 7. 14, 2, 3 for Ross, 12, 8, 5 for Wall, 11, 6, 3 for Haus.

Our D was awful, they shot 61.5%. Fortunately, we took 21 more shots but we only made 4 more. +17 on 2nd chances was the difference maker. A season worst 20 TOs to their 23. We NEED Brad but we won't have him for a while yet.

FL Gulf Coast, 0-6, is here next. We need a laugher. Hopefully this is it! Their strength is outside but they turn it over and they have trouble scoring. Their PG is the guy we need to control.

I spent the day in the kitchen. We have the capability of preparing all food by machine. People could eat in their rooms. A few do. But most people want "home cooking," and the camaraderie of eating with friends and co-workers. Our chefs work hard to provide alternatives and most people think the food on the ship is excellent. I just watch for waste. We always have people to oversee the kitchen and the serving areas to make sure no one does anything to the food. That's not my role. As the "numbers guy" I just look to minimize waste and inefficiency.

What I like best about my job as head of stats is the fact that I'm all over the ship. I'm doing at least a few things that are different every day. Of course, crunching the overall numbers, and checking all of them carefully, is something I do every single day. That takes about two hours, and I do it every day unless of extreme illness or some kind of emergency. Do I mind almost never getting a day off? Not at all.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:03 pm

12/5: Up 8 after 10. Things are going well. Up only 3 at the half. Not happy. Finally a double digit lead. Up 7 with 10 to go.

76-65. It wasn't the laugher we wanted. We were in control all the way but they kept it relatively close.

Balanced scoring. Star led us with 10 and 8, but 7 players had between 8 and 14 points.

+8 RBs, 11 TOs. We hit 22-24 from the line while they were 12-21.

+14 in the paint.

Next we're at 1-7 Bellarmine. Yet again, their backcourt is their strength. Since Brad went down it seems like every team we play has a strong backcourt. They have a deep bench, too. We should control the inside.

We're now ranked #21.

The probe is getting closer to the flaming rock, and it is learning some things.

Yes, something is either flaming or radiating a LOT of heat. Second, the rock is tumbling very rapidly. Third, it is shrinking; maybe that's due to the burning. The rest of the info will need to wait until we get closer, mid-December. When we get to the object we want the probe to orbit it, if possible, and to observe from close up for an extended period of time.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports