Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:31 pm

12/8: Very slow start for both teams. Down 3 after 10. We're sluggish and the refs are killing us. Mini-run! Up 5 at the break. Run! Up 16 with 10 left. Mack is lighting it up!

90-67. 17, 11 for Mack, 14, 9, 3 for Wall, 12, 5 for Star, , 13, 4, 6 for Mill, who really did it all tonight. Good bench play from Haus and Ross.

+12 RBs, 9 TOs. +12 on the fast break, +11 on 2nd chances.

2-6 Campbell is here next. They live and die by the three. We need to play good outside D and turn them over since they usually need a few passes to set up those threes.

Haven't been talking much about games, tourneys... We're still playing, and Kelly Geer keeps coming up with new things to grab our interest. I haven't had any top place finishes but I'm usually a contender. Lacy is a great pitch partner. I wish more people were interested in bridge, but there are only 10 of us who play, including 3 who are just learning but seem to like the game.

Water polo is beginning to catch on.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:57 pm

12/13: Up 7 after 10. 45-34 at the break. They hit only 3 threes in the 1st 1/2. Up 10 with 10 left.

86-63. Held them to 6 threes. 16, 8 for Star. 17 for Wall but he fouled out for the 1st time in his career. 13, 4, 4 for Ross, 13, 6, 3 for Mill. We took 9 more shots and hit 8 of them, and we were +9 from the line. +11 RBs, -9 TOs.

+16 in the paint, +12 on the fast break.

We're 10-1, not ranked. No idea why or how we slipped out of the top 25. Strength of schedule is the only thing I can think of. Net is #56 so yeah. Two more before MVC play begins.

Purdue Fort Wayne is here next. They're 6-2. They play solid D. We'll need to find the open man, and play good D of our own. We should be able to turn them over.

I've decided to start Troy Ross and give him lots of minutes. Let's see what happens.

The probe has caught up to the flaming rock. It is not able to get into a defined orbit, the rock is too small, moving too rapidly, and spinning too rapidly. But the probe is moving in a manner that allows it to see all sides of the rock from time to time.

The "flame" is radioactive. And it is HOT; the probe can only get so close and no closer. And it can never come back to the ship; it's way too contaminated.

Now what can possibly be the source of the radiation? No idea. There is so much we don't know about the universe, even our little corner of it. Incidentally, this rock is not headed anywhere near our home solar system, for the record.

We're trying to get the probe to send its own probe into the rock.

12/15: The probe that was launched into the rock made contact with the heart of the radiation, and then everything blew up- the rock, the probes, everything. We saw it all from both our onboard cameras and the cameras on the probes. Those stopped functioning when the explosion happened. Our cameras were whited out by the heat and light from the explosion. We don't think we're in danger but we're moving rapidly away from the debris that is moving rapidly away from the rock.

Lots of data to analyze.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:25 pm

12/19: We're expecting a challenge tonight. We're dominating inside early on. Up 13 after 10. Up only 9 going to the lockers. They caught us, then we went on a mini-run. Up 8 with 10 left.

73-59. 15, 7 for Wall, 11, 10, 4 for Star, . The bench didn't give us enough tonight, 16, 6, 6 to 29, 15, 3. We were -11 on the boards. 9 TOs to 17 helped.

The #1 factor was we held them to 29.8%, 3-18 on threes.

Our final pre-conf. game is at 6-5 Nicholls ST. The only edge they figure to have other than the home court advantage is their bench. But they win at home.

Data is coming in from all of the video of the rock. No idea what caused the radioactivity. Our people are thinking that prolonged study may teach us some things but nothing yet. The rock would have exploded on its own, very likely within the month. The rapid spin and the extreme radioactivity were doing it in quickly. No way to know where it originated. Some of the people studying it seem to think we may come across its "parent" at some point. That would be a much larger radioactive rock, possibly planet size or even bigger. Time will tell.

Baby June, at 6 1/2 months, is growing like a weed. She's trying to crawl. She can't quite do it but she does drag herself around. She is, of course, into everything.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:54 pm

12/26: We take an early lead. Up 10 after 10. Wall is hot. Up 9 at the break. Up 13 with 10 to play. It's close late! Mini-run!

88-72. They got to within 4 and then we started scoring. Gaut Wall had a career best 29, with 8 RBs. 8 others scored. +6 RBs, 12 TOs. We won it at the line, 33-49 to 19-22.
Their coach wasn't happy, and frankly, I don't blame him. He took his 2nd T with 14 seconds left. Sending a message, no doubt.

1/1/2029: We end pre-conference play at 12-1, NET #47, unranked as of the new year. +13.4 PPG, +3.5 RBs, -9.0 TOs! Best in the nations with 10.5 per game. #9 Off Rating, #53 on D, 15th overall. Not happy with the D. We're not good shooters, #172, worse from the line, #203, AWFUL on threes, #301. And yet we are 4th in pts. Scored. I dunno!

Gaut Wall leads us in scoring with 15.4, and he's 2nd in RBs, 1st in steals. Roy Star gets 12.6 and a leading 7.8 RBs. Chris Mack gets 12.0 but only 5.8 RBs. I may switch him to PF with Star going in the middle. Talking it over with the staff.

I'm still at a loss regarding Heno vs. Ross at SG while waiting for Brad to heal. The stats don't paint a clear picture.

After much discussion we're going to start Star in the middle and Mack at PF. Heno will be our guy at SG, due to his D.

We start MVC play tomorrow against 0-11 Drake. In lots of ways I hate to play a team that hasn't won a game. I know how much they want and need a win. On paper we are way better all around. They don't score much, don't play good D, don't take care of the ball, don't rebound. I'm still nervous. We'll play our first 7 conference games without Brad.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 pm

1/2: Up 7 after 10. Up 9 at the half. We're playing poorly against a lousy team. Up 11 with 10 to go.

87-73. We led all the way. 16, 3, 8 with 3 steals for Heno. 15, 11 for Start, 15, 4, 3, 3 steals for Wall, 18, 4, 3 for Haus. 8 TO to 22 for them. Easy win but not a blow out.

+16 on fast breaks, +12 in the paint.

At 7-5, 0-1 Northern Iowa next. They have a very good back court. We have a solid edge up front. They have trouble scoring so we need to play good D.

Spent the workday looking at water production and purification, and waste removal. These are vital systems and I am happy to report that they are running perfectly!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:13 pm

1/5: Down 3 after 10. We're shooting badly. And shot selection isn't great. Down 7 at the half. We catch up. Up 2 with 10 left. It's a battle! Mini-run!

83-74. We closed strong! 22, 10 for Roy Star. 17, 12 for Wall. 15, 7, 4 for Mack.+18 RBs but 16 TOs. We won it at the line, 26-29 to 15-20. 23-2 on 2nd chances.

Both Star and Mack are playing better now that they've switched positions. Heno has pretty much locked up the starting SG spot until Brad returns.

Chris Mack hurt his left knee. Not serious but he may miss a game.

Mack will miss the game against 10-4, 1-1 Missouri here. If we play well we should beat this team, even with 2 starters out, but we need to play well.

They're a good team though. They shoot well, take care of the ball. We need to control the inside. With Mack out we're not deep inside. This is a chance for Uwe Haus to step up.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:38 pm

1/9: Tied after 10. This one is a war. Down 5 at the half. Down 8 with 10 to play.

80-78. Unbelievable finish! We were down 8 with a minute to play. We outscored them 10-0 in the last minute. They missed the front end of 3 straight one and ones.

14, 8 for Star, 14, 5 for Haus, 14, 1, 3 for Ross, 11, 8 for Wall. Our starting guards really got beat up. Thankfully, Ross came to play. Bench was +4 pts., frontcourt was +12.

+7 RBs. 13 TOs but they had 19. They shot 51.1%, we shot 36.2% but we took 11 more shots, making 3 less. +2 on threes, and 30 free throws to 24. It was definitely close and the most amazing finish I've ever seen!

Mack is back, thankfully!

At 11-3, 1-2 Southern Illinois. They seemed to be a good team early on but they're not winning in the conf. On the other hand they are undefeated at home. They have a strong back court and a good C. They play great D but have trouble scoring. We should own the boards and we'll need to. We also need to turn them over.

Quiet days on the ship lately. That's definitely a good thing.

I'm in 3rd place after the first day of this month's poker tourney. I'm playing well and I've had some luck.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:08 pm

1/12: Back and forth. RUN! UP 12 after 10. Up only 1 at the half. Run! BIG run! Up 24 with 10 to go. The front court is immense! They come back.

65-62. We just fell asleep. They got it to three and missed a 24 footer at the buzzer. We didn't win, we escaped! 23 TOs, the most in my three seasons here. 12 of them happened in the last 8 minutes. Mill, Heno, and Ross, our 3 guards, had 5 each. The other team had 22 TOs but still...

25, 5 for Mack. 17, 4 for Haus. Wall and Star spent the night in foul trouble and they didn't do much. That's rare for both of these consistent players. Our backcourt just plain got beat, 7, 9, 12 to 26, 4, 9. They had 7 TOs to our 15.

+11 RBs helped a lot. We had 4 more buckets (on 12 more attempts), but were -6 from the line.

We've played better.

7-8, 2-2 Illinois ST is here. They have a very good PG, but we think we're better at every other spot, and we think our bench is better. They play good D but have trouble scoring. Their PG's one flaw is that he turns it over. We will double him if it's close.

We're back in the top 25 at #19. 16-1, 4-0. 3 teams are one game back including Drake who, after losing their first 12 have won 3 straight. Weird!

3 more games without Brad.

I win my 3rd poker tournament. It came down to straight flushes. Mine was led by an 8, hers by a 7.

1/14: Power outage! It only lasted 3.2 seconds according to the computers, but it felt like forever. The two most deadly things that can happen on a space ship are a hull breach and a power outage. The auxiliary power didn't kick in. That's a death sentence for everyone on the ship who isn't close to an oxygen supply, which they would be most unlikely to find in a pitch black ship.

When the power came back on there were lots of wet trousers! Emergency back up was the first thing the emergency crews looked at, as everyone went to their emergency stations. In this case those stations were portable oxygen supplies, which are located pretty much everywhere in the ship.

1/15: The preliminary investigation has found no obvious cause for the power outage. The computer crews are saying this may well be related to other things they've been finding. The first was the skewed stats for grains, which I spoke of earlier. Since then three other disruptive programs have been found buried deeply in the software. None of those were in essential systems. It would make no sense for whoever is doing this to kill power. The perp would die along with the rest of us. It takes a minimum of several hundred people to keep the ship going for more than a few days.

The Captain and the Governing Council have made the investigation into the power outage the #1 priority on the ship.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:32 pm

1/16: Slow start for both teams. Tied after 10. Up 6 at the half but the refs are picking on us. Not happy and I'm chirping at them. Mack is playing well. Star is not, due to fouls. Up 6 with 10 left.

69-60. Definitely a poorly officiated game although they picked on them in the 2nd half. 14, 6 for Mill, 11, 9 for Mack, 15 for Wall.

+5 RBs, 8 TOs to 15 for them. Both tems shot poorly but we took 9 more shots, made 2 of them. +2 on threes, +3 from the line.

Josh Mill sprains a toe and is out for at least a week. So now both of our starting guards are out for the next two games. NOT good!

5-11, 1-4 Bradley, there. Ordinarily I'd feel good about this game but given the guard situation... Still, they have a lot of trouble scoring, and their guards are not all that good. They don't rebound or score much inside. We'll need to get good guard play and the guards will need to stay out of foul trouble. Our #3 guard, Will Wade hasn't played much, 4.6 minutes per game.

Power outage investigation is ongoing. No conclusions yet. My inside info tells me the geeks think they may have found something.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:00 pm

1/19: We fall behind early. Down 14 after 10; not good. Down 15 at the break. Down 17 with 10 to go.

62-86. Ugly! Uwe Haus had 19 and 6, Troy Ross had 15, but 0 assists and 4 TOs; not good for a PG, which is what he played. Heno did a little better 5,
2, 4, 4 steals and only 1 TO. Wade had 6, 3, 2, 2 TOs. But we had 17 TOs and only 13 assists. We shot only 39.3% to their 57.9%, a lot of that outside.
But our bigs disappeared, too, except for Haus. Our starters had 10 point total! It was definitely a poor, poor game all around.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to turn the page. Next up is Indiana ST, 12-5, 5-1, tied with us and Evansville for 1st in the MVC, at our place. Their strength is all outside but on paper we're better. Having said that, we're still missing both of our starting guards.

Still nothing definitive regarding the power outage but I think the geeks are getting close.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports