Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:29 pm

3/29: We play #1 seed Southern Methodist, 24-11, for the title. Yet again we're the underdog. I believe we have been for every game in the tournament. They have a good outside game and they take care of the ball. We have an edge inside. They are 0-5 vs. top 25 teams; we're 1-8, so not much better. It comes down to who comes to play at this point.

3/30: Back and forth. Up 3 after 10. Up 7 at halftime. 12, 4, 4 steals for Mill, 11, 1, 4 for Sam. Tuck has 3 fouls and did nothing. Stats are close but we're shooting better, 48.7% to 41.7%. It's a game!

“You closed out the half strong. Come out just as strong to start the 2nd. This is for the trophy, guys. 20 minutes away from something you'll never forget. Stay focused and don't let up!”

We get it to 16! Up 26 with 10 left! Almost there! Up 32 with 5 left!

95-60! Champions! We won the 2nd half by 28!

19, 1, 6 for Gary Sams, 16, 6, 3, 5 steals, 3 blocks for Mill. 15, 6, 7 for Ster, 12, 9 for Bowe, 13, 5 for Ken Coll, who rarely plays; best game of his career!

+16 RBs, 8 TOs. We shot 49.4% to 36.9%.+24 in the paint. When it was all on the line, in the final 20 minutes, we soared like eagles.

Only one close game in the entire tournament, the 2 point win over Missouri in the 2nd round. We won the last 3 by 36, 21, and 35. Amazing!

4/3: #7 Louisville is the NCAA champ. The team watched the game together. My kids want to play them. That won't happen, of course.

4/4: Awards: Rash Mill makes the Big Ten second team and that's it.

Our TP stays at 54.

Would I move? Very doubtful. I want to build something here.

On the other hand, my dream school, UConn, came calling. I'm driving there for a visit. Not flying because I want to keep the visit under the radar.

I can't say yes, much as I want to. I made a commitment to build something here.

4/23: I'd better get a budget increase!

$4,500. What am I supposed to do with that! I suppose I can buy East Gold and National Basic, not go to any camps, and hope that $38,460 is enough to recruit with- against teams that have half million dollar budgets. Should have gone to UConn!

24-13. Frustrating and difficult season that wound up with the NIT title! Overall, for 15 seasons, 428-109, .797.

Last game for Mill and Ster. Everyone else is back.

The plant scientists think they've solved the problem. No new crops yet but they're hopeful.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:05 am

5/1: Recruit class #20; pretty good!

We buy the East Gold, National Basic.

6/5: No one leaves. One spot for a transfer.

At long last we have veggies! The scientists figured it out and the first crop is here. Limited rations for awhile, but we have some.

6/12: Nobody we want.

6/25: Can't afford any camps.

6/26: 4 scholarships. We want 2 and 2.

None of our probes are detecting anything of interest.

7/11: More veggies available but not quite at capacity.

7/14: The probe to our right is detecting activity in the distance. The object? The old probe? Something else? Too soon to know.

7/31: The probe seems to be detecting our old probe that disappeared. It is moving slowly toward this probe. Too far away to know much yet.

8/15: Probe II is definitely seeing Probe I, but it has changed. Still too far away to know precisely how.

8/21: We offer to a PG, an SG, an SF, and a PF.

8/31: Probe I is communicating with Probe II and we're able to pick it up:

“Humans: We are the Muuugleee. We have had the honor of being absorbed into the Muuugleee Collective where all questions are answered and all needs are met. The Muuugleee travel the galaxy freeing all sentient beings from worry, fear, uncertainty, want, and need. We shall transform this your probe as we have already transformed the first probe. We will then come to you and transform you. Your troubles are at an end.”

“This is the Captain of the human ship. We are not interested in your offer.”

“This is mandatory. We are on our way.”

We set Probe II at maximum speed away from Probe I. We and all of our probes are getting out of here as fast as we can.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:46 pm

9/18: We get 2, lose 2. We get a PF, #44, an SF, #139. We offer to 2 guards.

Going to the Alaskan Classic vs. #9 ranked Florida. Some challenges on the schedule but not many ranked teams want to play us here and we don't want many ranked teams on the road.

No sign of the Muuugleee, and believe me, we're looking!

9/25: We get an SG, #41, a PG, #99.

10/2: First day of practice. Lots of questions. Sams was really good at PG but I may switch him to SG. He's our best shooting guard and a we have a couple of guys who may be able to do the job at PG. That's what early practices are for!

10/21: Practices are going well. We're still experimenting a lot.

Our ship is not heavily armed. We have weapons that are designed to do things like break up or redirect an asteroid or a comet, but nothing designed to fight off an enemy. But those comet busters will definitely be aimed at the Muuugleee if we can't avoid them. We want this to be a peaceful voyage though so we're hoping to avoid them. But they said they are operating to absorb everyone in the galaxy.

11/14: The season starts tomorrow vs. Provocation College, here. We don't know much but we're a solid favorite.

Here's the lineup: Frosh Trey Berr is at the Point.

Junior Gary Sams moves from PG to SG.

#3 guard is senior Tony Rico, who subs at both guard spots. #4 guard is junior Kip Terl, who doesn't figure to get much time unless there are injuries. #5 guard is junior walk on Adam Simp, who doesn't figure to get any time.

SF is senior Jan Bowe.

PF is soph Hal Tuck, who started here last year,

C is junior Ken Coll, who really upped his game since last year when he was a little used sub.

1st big off the bench is junior Tim Hern. 2nd is senior Rich Mack, and 3rd is frosh Keb Hunt, who doesn't play enough D to get any real time.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:12 pm

11/15: It's the Provocation College Fryers and we think we're ready for them! Good crowd but not a sellout.

Early lead. Up 12 after 10; we're looking good. Up 42-25 at the half. 11 each for Bowe and Sams. Only 4 TOs to 14.

“Keep doing what you're doing and stay focused.”

Up only 9 with 10 left. I go to max D. Then to man late.

85-75. We were lousy in the 2nd half.

16, 4, 5 for PG Trey Berr. 15, 1, 8 for Sams but he fouled out. 15, 8 for Tuck. 13, 6 for Bowe, 11, 4, 3, 4 steals for Coll. We miss having Mill in the middle.

8 TOs to 20; I love that! +12 in the paint. But we let them shoot 53.1%. We took 16 more shots, which made a big difference, as did +12 on the line.

After the game the coaches agreed that Bowe and the tow guards played best overall.

Everything is peaceful, on the ship and in the space that we and our probes can see.

The probe ahead of us says we're not that far from a solar system.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:30 pm

11/17: At 1-0 Western Michigan. They have trouble scoring and they turn it over. But they play good D.

11/18: “You played an outstanding first half and fell asleep in the 2nd last time. I want that strong start, but I want it for 40 minutes.”

We're flat. We wake up a little and are up 8 after 10. They come back. Down 2 at the half. Our PG has 3 fouls; not good. We're shooting 30.3%; also not good. Only 3 TOs and holding them to 36.8%.

“I am not seeing what I need to see. I expect a lot more hustle, especially on D. And move without the ball!”

I max the D quickly. Tied with 10 left. We're not making shots. I go to man.

61-54. We did it in the last 2 minutes; it was tied with 2:03 left.

16, 9 for PF Hal Tuck. 13, 6, 5 for Sams, but 6 TOs. 6th man Tim Hern played well.

10 TOs to 21. We shot only 34.9%. We didn't hit threes last game and were 4-22 tonight. It's early, I suppose.

Our PF recruit didn't sign, which means he won't hit our SAT score. Damn! Looking at big guys.

The solar system ahead has two planets in the Goldilocks zone and they each have two moons. Still a few weeks until we get there.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:04 pm

11/21: Nice surprise in the new rankings, we're #19! I meant to say during the preseason that I think we're a top 25 team.

1-1 San Diego ST is here. They're good outside. We think we have an edge inside, and we think we can turn them over. But they're a good team.

11/22: Their C looks very weak. We're going to try to get it in to Ken Coll.

Close early. Up 6 after 10. Big run! Up 20 at halftime. 13 for Bowe, 11 for Berr and we are definitely going inside/outside really well! +11 RBs, +14 in the paint. Only 4 TOs. So far this season this team does NOT turn it over. LOVE it!

“Keep working it inside and outside. You're finding the open man.”

Their PG is doing some great work but he's alone; but he's not playing much D. Up 22 with 10 to go.

82-64. 21, 4, 8, 3 steals for Sams. 18, 2, 6 for Berr. SF Jan Bowe had 16 and 7; he's playing really well so far. 10, 9, 4 for Tuck, 10, 8 for Coll.

+9 RBs, only 6 TOs. We made 11 more shots. +20 in the paint.

Looking forward to playing a ranked team to see how we do.

I thought that would happen in our next game, but no.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:30 pm

11/24: 1-0 Florida is the #1 seed in the Alaskan Classic and we're #8, but they're not ranked after being #9 preseason. Interestingly they won their only game easily but it was against a nobody.

We're favored by one and a half. They do some good work outside, but so do our guys. They may have and edge at C, but our forwards look a lot better than theirs.

11/25: It's a battle, tied after 10. Up 7 at the half. 13 for Berr, 9 for Bowe; yep, they're our scorers. Tuck has 3 fouls; I'd hoped he'd learned how to play D in the off season but nope. His man also has 3. +10 RBs but 7 TOs, which is too many for a half. Both teams are shooting about the same %.

+8 in the paint.

“This is a tough team. They're not gonna quit. Show me some 2nd half energy!”

I go to max early and we go on a mini-run. Up 7 with 10 left.

81-72. A good win! 19, 6, 7 for Berr, 17, 4, 3 for Sams, 15, 4 for Bowe. 14, 6 for Coll who out played his man. Tuck managed 8 and 10 despite 4 fouls.

9 TOs, only 2 in the 2nd half. We won it at the line, +15.

A week away from the outer planet in the solar system. We're getting some looks at the planets in the zone from our drone, which is looking closely at them and at their moons. Nothing definitive yet.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:01 pm

11/26: Rematch with San Diego ST, 2-2, who we beat by 18 at our place. They're the #4 seed. We overpowered them inside and our guards outplayed theirs. The game wasn't competitive. We're awful from behind the line, 2nd lowest %, 5th lowest #.

Game time! My guys look ready.

“Don't let them beat you outside and kick their butts inside!”

Up 11 after 10. Then they catch up. Max D. Down 6 at the half. 34.4% shooting.

“We can't make three. Why did we take 16 of them? Shoot from inside the line and work it into the PAINT! You guys are letting a lousy team make you look bad. Max D and get ready to go to man real quick. Show me something, damn it!”

I go to man almost immediately, and we take the lead. Up 4 with 10 left. Too close!

68-61. We were lousy. 19, 2, 4, 3 steals for Sams. 11, 12, 3 blocks for Tuck. 8 TOs to 16, which helped. +8 at the line, which also helped. But we were lousy.

“We're playing a ranked team tomorrow for the title. If you play like you did tonight, they'll take home the trophy.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:23 pm

11/27: #23 Baylor, 4-0, the #6 seed, for the title. We're 5-0. They have a very good Point, but he turns it over. Their forwards could give us a lot of trouble. They haven't played any ranked teams yet but they've looked very good in all 4 games. Average margin of victory is 16 points.

“This one will tell us a lot about where we are. I need 40 minutes of energy and focus.”

Sellout crowd. Let's see who they're rooting for. Up here in Alaska, who knows?

Down 2 after 10. Back and forth. I max the D with 3 minutes left. Down 8 at the break. They're shooting 51.6% we're shooting 33.3%. The stats are closer than the score. The only good news is one of those excellent forwards has 2 fouls and the other has 3.

“Shot selection. Work to get open. Get it inside amd put pressure on those forwards. You can do better and you need to do better. This is for the title. Be ready to go man.”

We're getting beat up, down 17 with 10 left. I go to the full court press, which is an act of desperation. It doesn't help.

63-82. We shot 34.3% and took 16 freakin' threes; made 4. I keep telling them not to take the damn three! -9 RBs.

The big difference was the bench. Theirs had 30, 13, 9 to ours, 9, 9, 5. Rico and Mack, who are supposed to be pretty good players, gave us nothing.

15, 9 for Cole, 17, 2, 3 for Sams, but 1-6 on threes.

You don't beat up on your guys when they lose so,

“Okay. A loss in November is no big deal. Hopefully we learned some thing, and we'll work on those things in practice. You're a good team that didn't have a very good night. It will get better.”

Lights at night on the 4th planet and on one of its moons. That's a sign of intelligent life. Possums don't build campfires or turn on the electricity. The 4 outer planets and their moons didn't show us anything interesting. We're nearing the outer planet that is in the zone. This is not the one with lights at night but we want to explore it anyway.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:47 pm

11/28: 2-2 Brigham Young is here. We like our chances. We should be able to turn them over and they don't hit the boards that hard.

11/29: Another good crowd, but not a sellout.

“ Don't let them beat you outside. Okay, the way to come back from a loss is to kick some butt. Do it!”

Up 5 in a very slow first 10 minutes, 14-9. Mini-run! Up 17 at the half, 45-28. Our starters all have between 7 and 10. 5 TOs. 54.8% shooting to 32%.

“No let up. You're backing them up. Keep doing it!”

Up 15 with 10 to go.

81-68. We were never in trouble in this one.

18 each for Bowe and Sams, 15, 6 for Coll.

9 TOs to 17. +4 RBs. +12 in the paint. We shot 46%, they shot 36.5%.

We committed too many fouls in the 2nd half.

Keb Hunt, the last big man in the rotation, hurt his back. Out for a week.

We have 4 landers on the surface of the planet that shows no sign of intelligent life, and 3 on its only moon. None of our crew though, just robots.
We'll be getting data soon.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports