Hereafter

Re: Hereafter

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:06 pm

3/14: 80-75. Back and forth. Tied after 10. We go on a run. They come back. Up 2 at the half. Up 4 with 10 to go. It was close all the way.

24, 4 for Bond, 12, 14 for Heng.

+4 RBs, 10 TOs. We shot poorly but were +23 at the line, and that was what won it for us. -14 in the paint.

#3 seed Providence, 18-14, in the quarter finals. They've played 9 top 25 teams, going 2-7. We need to stop their outside game and beat their tough D.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:16 pm

3/21: 75-72. We score the first 12. They come back. Up 1 after 10. Down 1 at the break. Our D is awful. Down 3 with 10 to play. They're shooting 60%.

Whew! We didn't play very well, especially on D.

16, 6, 4 for Maer, 18, 0, 5 for King, 14, 6 for Bond.

20 TOs but they had 24; it was that kind of a game. They shot better but we took 7 more shots and made 3. That was enough, but just barely.

Next up is #8 seed Pepperdine, 20-12. They beat #1 and #4 to get to the semifinals. We think we're a lot stronger inside.

John Watt hurt his calf. He'll miss our next game. He's our #2 big man off the bench.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:25 pm

3/27: 79-77. Back and forth. Up 1 after 10. Up 5 at halftime. Up 4 with 10 to play. Tight game! Really close one all the way, 21 lead changes, 13 ties.

18, 6, 5 for Bond, 19, 0, 4 for King, 13, 5, 3 for Heng, 12, 5 for Maer. -7 RBs but 10 fewer TOs. They shot 54.2% to our 48.3%, but we took 10 more shots and made 2, which was barely enough. We were a little better in the paint and we squeaked by.

It's 20-13 Colorado ST, the #7 seed, who beat #3, #2, and #1 to get here. We think we're better on the boards and a little better outside but this one should be a battle.

Watt is back.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:59 pm

3/29: 74-77. Down 5 after 10. They've opened up a big lead. Down 15 at the break. We're shooting 27%. Down 12 with 10 left. Big comeback but not quite enough.

17, 3, 4 for Bond, 15 for Heng. -5 RBs but 9 fewer TOs. Poor shooting did us in. We ended up at 40.7% but we hit a lot of shots late.

Last game for starting SG Chuck Maer.

4/3: #2 Memphis is the champ.

4/4: Awards: Wyatt Bond is AEC POY and 1st team with Corey Heng. Chuck Maer makes the 2nd team. I am conf. COY.

4/9: After 4 seasons here I really feel like it's time to move on. A decent offer would get me out.

Going to Wright ST in the Horizon. I think there is a definite possibility of quick success at this school.

4/23: I ask for $.

We get $10,000! That will help with recruiting.

93-40, .699 after 4 years at UMass-Lowell. It was a good run!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:41 pm

5/1: Recruiting class #228.

New city, new state, new campus, new university- new everything! Wright State is in Dayton, Ohio. I've never spent much time in the Midwest so this will be a new experience.

Nutter Arena (Don't say it) is much bigger, seats 10,400. So if we can fill it we can generate a lot of revenue. Average attendance for the past 3 years is 3722 though.

As a reminder of what's going on here, this is a "posthumous association."

I died, and it turned out the afterlife is something you get to design for yourself. No idea if every does, but I did.

So I'd always wanted to coach college hoops, but in my other life I'd never gotten above high school. I'd always wanted to play the piano really well. We were too poor for me to ever get lessons. Now I play really well. I had always wanted to explore the universe. This life takes place on a ship that is exploring the universe. We're heading toward Saturn and will be there in 4 1/2 months, and we'll eventually explore a whole lot of space.

Most of what I do with hoops, and some of what I do with the piano takes place in a holo chamber. So I don't actually live in Dayton, Ohio, but I spend as much time there (via the holo) as I need to, and travel with the team and to recruit and sometimes scout. A lot takes place on the ship itself. I live with my partner, Lacy, and that's still new. It's going great, thanks!

So that about catches us up.

6/5: We have room for a transfer. Looking at PGs.

6/16: We get a PG from Prairie View. Looks like he'll help us.

After a couple of poor finishes in the "Space Series of Poker" I'm doing great this month.

6/17: At the end of the day I'm at the final table and in 2nd place among 10 finalists. This is all about the glory. There's no actual money involved.

6/18: I finished 2nd. We both had about the same amount of money and yet again, I went all in on three of a kind and lost to a straight. That's the way the book says to play it. I guess I'm not good at reading opponents though, unless they have very obvious "tells." Most don't. One of these months I'm going to win one of these.

As the chief statistician on the ship I track tournament finishes and I'm actually 3rd overall despite a couple of early "outs."

6/25: We're going to the Midwest camp.

6/26: 3 scholarships. Hoping for a PG and 2 bigs.

Lacy and I are really doing well. Believe me when I say that living quarters for two are SMALL! We somehow manage to each have our own space, tiny, but our own, and we're both careful about respecting each other's need for space. We're both kind of introverted so we're careful not to be too demanding or clingy. At the same time we do a lot together and we really enjoy that. At least I do and it certainly seems like Lacy does.

In my Dayton life I have a condo, live alone.

8/21: We offer to a PG, a PF, and a C, all foreign.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm

9/18: Relatively easy pre-conf. schedule. Wins build programs.

We feel like we have a real shot at 2 of our recruits. Not so sure about the 3rd.

Delay. The ship needs to undergo some repairs. We won't get to Saturn for a couple of months.

9/25: We get a PF, #249, lose a PG, offer to another PG.

10/2: We get a C, #173. We have a shot at the PG, and we NEED a PG.

1st day of practice. We're strong up front but very thin in the backcourt. I think we'll finish in the top half in the Horizon.

11/15: The season starts tomorrow with William & Mary here. On paper we're better but this early on who knows!

Here's the lineup: Senior Ken Dens is at the Point. He has some skills, great ball handler.

Frosh Josh Mill is at SG. Very good defender, and we hope he'll be a good outside scorer.

Soph Gary Ball is the #3 guard and has a shot at moving up to the starting SG position. Greg Malo is the #4 guard; he's a soph and he's not ready. #5 is junior Pat Fain. He'll only play in garbage time unless there are injuries.

Soph Chris Mack is at SF, but he'll also play some PF at times. We have high hopes for him.

Soph Roy Star shares time at PF with Mack, and with our 6th man, to be named later.

Senior Kel Love is at C. He's another guy we hope to get a lot from.

Senior Gary Ball, will be the first big off the bench and could work his way into the starting lineup.

Let's see what we can do!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:50 am

11/16: 72-54. We take an early lead. Up 19 after 10. Up 14 at the half. Up 18 with 10 to play. Pleased with the D.

16, 3, 3 for SG Josh Mill, 11, 8 for Forward Chris Mack. We shot better, but that was due to the solid D. 12 threes.

-8 RBs but 9 TOs to 25. There's that D again. Good bench play.

AT 1-0 Perverterian next. Not a lot to go on. They scored 82 in their opener with all 5 starters getting at least 13, so we'll see how good our D is.

We go into orbit around the outermost ring of Saturn. Lots of debris out here so the instruments and the navigators are on their guard. People are being cautioned to stay close to something they can grab hold of in case a quick navigational shift is needed.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:04 am

11/19: 85-60. Early lead. Up 8 after 10. Up 6 at the half. Early 2nd half run! Up 18 with 10 to play. Terrific 2nd half, 45-26.

C Kel Love led us with 18 and 11. We dominated inside.

+13 RBs, 6 fewer TOs. We shot an amazing 61.1% to 44.4%. +26 in the paint.

At 2-0 Longwood next. They're good at PG and C. We average 15.5 more per game, and give up 4 fewer. We think we can turn them over.

It's not news that the rings are made of ice crystals with some rocky material there as well. We'll do a closer examination, and even try to grab some samples of both ice and rock, which will be tricky.

Saturn is about 10 times farther from the Sun than Earth is so it's a very cold world.

We're especially interested in the moon Titan, but that will come later. First the rings.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:17 am

11/23: 63-66. Down 3 after 10. Down 4 at the half. Back and forth in the early 2nd half. Up 5 with 10 to go. We were in it all the way but didn't quite get there. Not enough O.

17, 11, 4, with 3 steals for Love, 17, 7 for Mack.

+5 RBs, 10 TOs. We shot only 31.7% to 39.2%. They hit three more threes and that was the difference in a close game. They won it in the backcourt, holding our guards to 8 points. Their guards had 31.

Back home with 2-2 Sam Houston ST next. The offenses look to be about equal in strength but we think we're a lot better on D. But we need to score, and we need more from our outside game.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:39 am

11/26: 88-65. Down 2 after 10; we're not scoring enough. We go on a run. Up 7 at the break. Another run and we're up 23 with 10 to play. Great win.

16, 4, 4 for SG Josh Mill, 12, 8 for Forward Roy Star, 12, 4 for sub F/C Rich Cora, who has been playing really well.

+6 RBs, 10 TOs. We held them to 35.2% shooting, 7-21 on threes. Big edge in the paint and in bench play.

Post Game Press Conference (Excerpts):

Q: We're here with Wright State head coach Jed Clark. Jed, talk about tonight's win.

Coach: I thought we played well tonight. This was the most points we've scored yet, and our D was solid, which it has been every night so far.

Q: Raiders fans feel like this team could be a big step up from the last few seasons.

Coach: That's the goal. We want to go out there and make the other team work for everything they get.

Q: What are the team's strengths?

Coach: First and foremost, defense. Our inside D is very good, and out outside D is almost that good. Then we feel like we can put points up, and we've done that in all but the Longwood game. Our inside game has won the battle of the paint in every game so far.

Q: What do you need more of or better of?

Coach: We could be stronger and deeper in the backcourt. We think transfer Marc Brad will help with that next year but we need to nail down a guard in recruiting and that hasn't happened yet. We're working on it as hard as we know how.

Q: How do you like the Midwest?

Coach: I'm still getting used to it but people here have been really welcoming and friendly. I think it's going to be great living and working here.

At 0-5 Howard next. When I was at UMass-Lowell they always gave us trouble. Their strength is outside but they turn it over a LOT. We feel like we should dominate inside. We score 16.2 more per game and give up 15.1 less. But it's a road game...

Not a lot of new discoveries about Saturn's rings. They're ice, with rock and dust. Mini-moons seem to form over time from the ice, rocks, and dust.

Titan is the great fascination and we're starting there. The prevailing theory for a long time now has been that if there is life other than on Earth in the solar system, Titan is the likeliest place.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports