Temporary: Don't get too attached

Temporary: Don't get too attached

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:45 pm

DDSCB20: UConn

(Just for fun while I see if my other computer can be repaired and my "Hereafter" association can be saved. This one is actually in DDSCB20.)

Joe Hoop here. Just hired at UConn after being the #1 assistant there for 8 years. Frankly, we're kind of down. This will be a rebuilding project. #26 recruiting class, for whatever that's worth.

About me? I live for hoops. 40 years old, not married, not seeing anyone. I live hoops. In season I'm involved every waking moment. When I'm eating I'm talking hoops or on the phone looking something up. In the shower I'm thinking about hoops.

Yeah, it's a one dimensional life but all I ever wanted to do was be involved with college b-ball. I played here for four years, got some minutes as a frosh, was the 6th man at
SF and SG as a soph, started at Sf my last two years, made all conference both years.

Then I was an assistant at Hofstra until I came here 10 years ago. This is my dream job and I hope to be here for the rest of my life.

5/1/2019: First official day on the job but they fired Coach Keen in March and I've been acting head coach since then. They finally made it official.

I play the Triangle and the Flex on O, a little more Triangle. On D I typically play man-to-man about half the time, 2-3 and 3-2 about equally for the other half. We'll press now and then, especially late in the game if it's close.

My practices are about teaching and learning the stuff we do. I favor the inside on O. The closer you are to the hoop the more likely the shot will go in.
I found three assistants I think are up to the job.

6/26: I've been getting to know the new guys, putting things together with my assistants.

Now it's time to recruit. We have 6 open spots. That's a lot of recruiting! We need everything, but maybe guards more than bigs.

I have to say that I'm not known for having a sparkling personality. I'm all business and I don't smile a lot. But I'm totally convinced I'm going to be a winner as a coach and I'm determined to convince recruits (and everybody else) of that.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: Temporary: Don't get too attached

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:30 pm

7/17: Really busy with recruiting, overseeing summer school for my players, all of whom take 2 courses every summer, including the summer before their freshman year.
That way they only need to take three classes each semester.

We also ran two weeks of summer camps for high school and middle school kids. We do that for PR, to see if any of our recruits come, several did, and to get a good look at our players- all of them get paid to work at the camps and we get to see them play some. That's especially important with the incoming freshmen, and we have 3 of those. I already know I'm going to red shirt one of them.

8/7: Senior C Ban Mino is #28 on the Norton List. He is easily our best player, and a big reason why our offense will favor the inside. He can rebound as well as score and he's a very good defender.

8/21: We offer to a PG, 2 SGs, a PF, 2 Cs.

9/11: Lost one.

9/18: We get 2, lose 3. We get an SG #18, PG #41.

Going to the Preseason NIT vs. Akron. We have a fairly challenging pre-conf. schedule, especially at home.

9/25: Get one, lose one. We get a PF, #90, but he's better than that. Still looking for 3, 2 bigs.

10/2: We get one, lose one. We get a C, #17.

First day of practice. Not sure how good we are yet, but we are clearly way better inside than outside. I hope we take care of the ball.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:27 pm

10/9: We get a PF, #69. We need one more guard.

10/16: We lose the guard. We may bank the scholarship.

Okay, I drink... more than I should. Never until the end of the day when I'm home for the night. But I drink alone while I'm watching video of games or reading scouting reports. How much? Maybe too much but I never have a hangover. I get up at 6:00 and run my 5 miles, in almost any kind of weather. I won't run when it's icy; that's a good way to get hurt. But other than that and lightning I run. When I can't run I go in to work right away and do the miles on a treadmill. I'm in excellent shape. But I worry about the drinking. It might catch up to me at some point. Hasn't yet thought, even though I'm pretty hammered by the time I go to bed.

11/13: We open in the NIT tomorrow. We're the #4 seed and Akron is #13. We don't know much about them so let's see how it goes.

My lineup:

Soph Don John is my PG. Not sure how well he can take care of the ball; I'm a little nervous.

Senior Ked Stey is my SG. He can shoot and he's a decent defender.

#3 guard is frosh Jay Joon; he wants more PT and as the season progresses he just might get it.

Senior Chad Schu is my SF. He's a question mark.

Senior Vin Jeff is at PF. We think he'll do a good job there.

Senior Ban Mino is at C. He's our player and we need him to come through.

First big off the bench is junior Rash Burk. He thinks he should be starting. I told him to show me.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 pm

11/14: We fell behind early but came back and led by 8 at the half. Up 10 with 10 to go.

84-67. Nice start to the season!

18, 6 for SG Ked Stey and he played solid D. 17, 5, 3 blocks for Mino but he committed 4 fouls. 12, 7, 3 for SF Chad Schu. 6, 14, 5, 4 steals, 4 blocks for Vin Jeff. 9, 5, 7 for Don John at the Point.

+6 RBs. We shot 50% to their 33.8%. We were a very impressive +26 in the paint.

All the favorites advanced. #5 seed, #6 ranked Marquette in the quarter finals. Tough match up! They're a heavy favorite because of their excellent outside play. We'll have our hands full!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:33 pm

11/16: They are tough! Down 2 at the half but whew! They start the 2nd with a big run.

65-89. They just ran away from us in the 2nd.

21, 11 for Mino, 9, 6, 3 for Stey. No one else had more than 6.

11/20: My foreign recruit, PF #69 may not hit our SAT score. He hasn't signed.

Next here is #23 Kona. We'll need to play a lot more D than we played last game.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:44 pm

11/21: Up 18 at the half but it's not over. 20 point lead with under 8 to play.

73-64. Great D! 17, 9, 3 steals, 4 blocks for Mino, but he's committed 4 fouls in all three of our games. 13, 6, 3, 4 steals for Schu. 12, 8 for first big off
the bench, Rash Burk. 11 for #3 guard Jay Joon.

We shot 34.3% but they shot only 30.9%. It's nice to beat a ranked team this early on.

#16 North Carolina, 2-0, is here. We should have an edge on the boards but their guards are world class. This won't be easy.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 am

11/24: Up 14 at the half despite almost nothing from Mino who was in foul trouble all the way in the 1st.

67-60. They got as close as 5 several times but never closer. Great D!

14, 7 for PF Vin Jeff, 12, 6, 5 for SG Ked Stey, 11, 6, 5 for PG Don John but 5 TOs, 11, 6 for F/C Rash Burk but he fouled out.

This team fouls too much and it can be a problem. +24 RBs but 19 TOs to 9. We held them to 27.6% from the floor, 4-19 on threes.

+12 in the paint, +14 on 2nd chances.

#5 Tennessee, 6-0, is here. They score a lot more than we do but they give up more points. Their strength is outside. This is going to be a struggle. We absolutely have to stay out of foul trouble to have a chance.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:31 am

11/28: Mino picks up 2 quick fouls and we're behind. 45-54 at the break.

85-106. We can't win when our best player is in foul trouble every game. Very frustrating.

13, 5 for Jeff, 14, 4 for Burk, 15, 1, 3 for Joon, 12, 6 for Mino but he played only 19 minutes.

-8 RBs, 20 TOs. They shot 53.3%. -14 in the paint.

Seldom used F/C Jason Feeley is out for a week with a back issue.

We rebuilding, and that can be painful, and this is not the type of team I want. I will be closer to having that team next season. The current team is decent, we've beaten two ranked teams, but when we face truly good teams we're in over our heads.

At 1-3 Wake Forest next. We need to stop the three, rebound, and turn them over.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 am

12/1: We lead early but it's close. Up 4 at the half. Mino picked up 2 fouls again. I give up! We start the 2nd on a run.

73-69. They came back, got it to 2 several times late, but never caught us.

18, 6, 5 for Stey, 11, 9 with 5 blocks for Mino but he played only 19 minutes. 11, 6 for Schu.

+4 RBs and 12 TOs. We held them to 34.7% but they were +13 from the line.

Chad Schu hurt a hip. He'll miss our next game. We're thin inside so that's not good.

4-1 Oregon is here. They are excellent outside and we'll have our hands full. I'm worried about this one.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:57 am

12/5: Close early. Down 4 at the half; Mino has 18 but 3 fouls.

77-87. We led for awhile in the 2nd but they went on a late run and we couldn't answer or stop the run.

30, 8 for Mino; it's encouraging that he committed no fouls in the 2nd half. 15, 7, 6 for Joon at SF, 11, 8 for Jeff.

+8 RBs, 12 TOs. +16 in the paint. They won it on threes, 14-30.

Schu is going to miss one more game.

2-5 Gardner-Webb is here. We think this is a team we should beat but they're very good outside and we sometimes have trouble with that.

Schu isn't ready yet so I'm holding him out again.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports