In Wile We Trust

In Wile We Trust

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:33 pm

ImageImage

Background

"Jeremiah Wile is a former college shooting guard of the Grand Canyon University Antelopes. He began regularly playing his junior year, the season of '12-'13. For what he lacked in athleticism and starpower, he made up for with intangibles, awareness and shooting touch. He was a solid contributor leading to the team's promotion to Division 1 in 2013. Midway through his senior year, Jeremiah collided with an opposing player very hard. His knee was blown out, and his playing days were over. He watched as his teammates went on to win at the Division 1 level, making it to the CIT postseason tournament while he sat his senior year.

After graduation, Thunder Dan Majerle brought on Wile as a graduate assistant. He aided Grand Canyon in practice and daily activities for three years before accepting a high school coaching job in Chandler, Arizona. Jeremiah welcomed the change of scenery and chance to teach young players. He coached several successful teams in his four years at the Chandler public school before taking a job at Dream City, a private basketball school.

Succeeding wherever he went, he began to make a name for himself in Arizona athletics. The Northern Arizona Lumberjacks took a chance and hired Jeremiah Wile as their new Head Coach for the 2021-2022 season, parting ways with previous coach Shane Burcar after a 6-16 year. The Lumberjacks have played in the Big Sky conference since 1971, last winning the regular season in 2007 and the conference tournament champion in 2000. Montana, Weber State and recently Eastern Washington have been dominating the conference in lieu of the Lumberjacks.

Wile is said to favor a lightning-fast offensive strategy of perimeter shooting combined with an athletic and disruptive defensive scheme to produce exciting plays at both ends of the court. Coach Wile allows a great deal of freedom, at least he was known to at the youth level. When asked about their former coach, past players have simply stated 'In Wile We Trust'. We will watch with anticipation as his career gets off the ground here in beautiful Flagstaff, Arizona."

-Flagstaff Times, May 2021
Last edited by JoFleecy on Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JoFleecy

Season Links

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:33 pm

Season Links
Last edited by JoFleecy on Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoFleecy

Wile's Wall of Fame

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Coach Wile's Wall of Fame

There probably won't realistically be anyone here for a while lol.
Last edited by JoFleecy on Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoFleecy

2021 Situation Overlook

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:37 pm

JoFleecy

Re: In Wile We Trust

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:48 pm

Good start! Keep it up for a good long Wile. :p
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:51 pm

PointGuard wrote:Good start! Keep it up for a good long Wile. :p

Thanks PG! Super excited for it!
JoFleecy

2021 Pre-Season Roster Report

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:00 pm

2021 Pre-Season Roster Report

So Coach Gaellan sent me over these initial assessments of the current squad's talent. 42% of players have an outside shot rating of 8 or higher. This could not have worked out better for my strategy. We are a bit light on guards with only 5, 3 of which are freshmen. I am hoping to use more guards in the future. Athletically we are not where I want to be, with 64% of players posting an athletic rating of 6 or lower. Anyway let's start from the top down.

C
James Houston, 6-10 SR - A clean up paint beast with a little bit of an outside touch. Excellent passing skills (7) at the 5. Currently the star of the campus for sure.
Owen Johnston, 6-9 SO - Projected 8-10mpg backup center. Average rebounder and defender for the position. Will make the most impact on the offensive glass.
Nolan Charland, 6-10 FR/WO - Would love to be in a position to play this guy. Team up twenty is this guy's time to shine.

PF
Lucas Merrill, 6-7 SR - Doesn't have the shot his fellow starters have, but will put in a ton of work on the glass. My hopes for this guy are 5ppg, 5rpg, 3apg, 1spg, 1 bpg.
Troy Heatherly, 6-6 JR - More athletic, better outside shooter, better at playing the passing lanes than Lucas. Has a shot at starting next year if he develops.
Bryan Lowry, 6-6 SO - An athletic, shooting 4 that can pass and rebound. Will challenge Troy next year for the starting spot.
Tad Wilson, 6-7 FR - Incredibly raw prospect from Nogales. Great at getting to the line, but not converting. Great at shooting bombs, but loves to shoot contested ones.

SF
Brian Foley, 6-6 SR - A long, gifted athlete with an above average stroke. Lives in the midrange and is a capable iso scorer. Passes quickly out of the double team, and has a sense of timing for grabbing boards, steals and swats.
Brian Mason, 6-8 SR - Another midrange shooter who uses his size to incorporate post ups on smaller wings. I think he has potential to start at 4 for us, but his scoring ability might be necessary coming off the bench right now. He is a humble kid and doesn't care about his minutes too much.

SG
Dave Atchison, 6-1 FR - Our most hotly contested position, due to the fact that there are 3 true freshmen vying for it. Above all, the most efficient shooter will get the starting 2 spot. Early on, it looks like that's going to be Dave.
Mike Collins, 6-1 FR - He better hope he shoots well because that would be the only reason to play this guy at all. Currently unable to contribute to a team outside of his outside shooting ability.
Harry Hale, 6-3 FR - In a similar boat to Mike. Dave looks to provide more than these two right now, but all 3 will compete with minutes.

PG
Lynn Milner, 6-0 SR - The sweetest shooter on the team. He leaves the starters a bit vulnerable defensively. But he is a creative playmaker and a great athlete who plays bigger than his height.
Tristan Watkins, 6-3 SO - Good shooter and passer, average athlete. Already knows a bit of 5 Out. Beyond a homerun in recruiting, he is the projected starter after Lynn leaves next year.

Okay so what are the key takeaways here? There is a five senior starting five here, with Foley at the 2 and Mason at the 3. All five of these guys spent their careers so far running Motion, Shuffle and 5 Out. Taking another look at our freshmen shooting guards, it's a no brainer. Looks like we're going with the reigning starters, and playing 5 Out deep ball like I wanted to. We'll see if any of those freshmen can make a legendary three-pointer off the bench for us this year. Defensively we're going to get obliterated unless we can cause some disruption. They ran 90% man, 10% 3-2 zone, with no press beyond full court man. I don't know if it's feasible for this team to deviate at this point. But we will start training next year on a diamond press and 1-2-2 zone. Here's this season's projected starting five:

I am shocked that these guys only managed 6 wins as juniors last season. Time will reveal why. Where does that leave us in recruiting? I think it's sort of a blessing and a curse to get 5 scholarships in my first year. Let's see what we can develop. Our targets this year include:

1 Point God
1 Point Guard / Shooting Guard (who can play point)
2 Small Forwards
1 Best Available, leaning Center or Guard.

What are my positional recruiting philosophies? I'm glad you asked;
For ALL recruits - Athleticism highly valued.
PG - Pass & Outside
SG - Scoring & Outside
SF - Defense & Steals
PF - Rebounds & Outside
C - Rebounds, Defense, Blocks, Pass
Last edited by JoFleecy on Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoFleecy

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:23 pm

Always great to see a new Dynasty Report. Go Lumberjacks!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:34 pm

Wayne23 wrote:Always great to see a new Dynasty Report. Go Lumberjacks!

Thanks Wayne. Looking forward to catching up on you guys' dynasties as well.
JoFleecy

The Very First Commit

Postby JoFleecy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:39 pm

JoFleecy

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports