Transfer to the Title

Re: Transfer to the Title

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:51 pm

4/2: #1 seed, #2 ranked, #3 NET Virginia, 34-5, for the title. They got an unbelievably tough break in yesterday's game. Their starting SG and leading scorer broke a finger on his shooting hand and he's out, AND their starting PF broke his elbow and is also out. Incredible!

We started the season beating them by 22 at our place when they were haelthy, but that's a long time ago. They're very good at PG and SF but I don't know how they can overcome those injuries, particularly since they've only had one practice to work the two new guys in.

4/3: This is unimaginably exciting!

Both teams show early jitters, then they take a lead. We come back. Tied after 10. Down 4 at the half. -8 at the line. The refs are killing us. Will Witt is playing terrific ball, 15 and 3. Thom got in early foul trouble and Witt took over. Both teams are shooting exactly 50%. The bench is +17.

"I need more from my bigs and from you, Earl. Make those shots you make and no dumb fouls!"

Down 4 with 10 left.

92-84 and the national championship!

+10 for the bench. Will Witt, our #3 guard, was the title game MOP. He had 22 and 3. Thom had an excellent 2nd half, winding up with 19 and 5. Both teams ended up shooting exactly 50%. We took 10 more shots. +8 in the paint, 6 fewer TOs.

Post Game Press Conference (Excerpts):

"Coach, how does a team like Vermont win the national title?"

"Heart, guts, desire, belief, hard work, teamwork. But even with all of that it couldn't have happened without the change in the transfer rule. Look at how many of our key players got here by transferring- Thom, Brad, and Witt. We wouldn't be nearly the team we are without those three."

"Still, Coach, it has to be an unbelievable feeling."

"It's something we will all carry with us for the rest of our lives."

Talk about Will Witt."

"Was there ever a better sub! Many legendary John Havlicek for the Celtics in the old days. Witt was our 3rd leading scorer, 3rd in assists, and as good a defender as we have. And don't forget Fero Miri and Will Kili, who were outstanding subs inside. Our bench was a huge factor and they certainly made the difference tonight!"

"Repeat?"

"That's a topic for another day. Tonight we're going to enjoy what we accomplished!"
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:09 pm

4/4: Awards: Earl Thom was NCAA tournament MOP. I got National COY again. Thom, as expected, repeated as a 2nd team All American.

In the Big East Thom was POY, Def. POY, and 1st team. I got COY, which I did every season i coached and twice nationally. Lon Brad and tare Suli made the 2nd team.

Press Conference (Excerpts):

"Members of the press, you've already heard that our outstanding A. D., Ali Veer, is going to Cal-Berkeley. We wish her every success there.

"The purpose of this press conference is to introduce you to our new Athletic Director as of May 1. It is with very mixed feelings that I announce that the new Athletic Director at the University of Vermont is... Mack Lowe."

(Bedlam)

"Mack, I'm sure there are lots of questions."

"Coach, I just have one question: Why?"

"Good question, and not a surprise... I am, before anything else, a family man. I have a wife who i love very much, a wonderful young son, and a daughter on the way. Coaching just simply keeps me away from home way too often. I want to be with my wife, and i want to watch my children grow up. As a head basketball coach I'm not able to do as much of that as I want to. As an A. D. I'll be able to do more of it."

"But an A. D. works a lot of hours, too."

"That's true. But most of those hours are at home on our beautiful campus. Sure, there will be trips, and I'll be away from time to time, but I'll spend a LOT more nights sleeping in my own bed and having time to play with my kids."

"You just won a national championship and you have most of the key players coming back. Won't it be hard not to defend that title?"

"As A. D. I'll be part of the process of defending the title."

"Do you have a new coach yet?"

"We're looking at candidates. We'll look at our assistants, we'll reach out to some people, and we'll see who reaches out to us. I'm still the coach until we hire a new one, and I don't start my new job until May 1, although Ali will be away at Cal a lot. By the same token she'll be showing me how she runs the operation. And for the record I hope I'm half the A. D. she is. She has been terrific in that job here, and I'm sure she will be at Cal. I wish her the very best."

It went on like that for quite awhile but that's the general idea, and that's the end of this association.

We finished the season with a national title and a record of 37-3. For my 5 year coaching career I was 152-32, .826. Not bad!
Wayne23

Postby Zingo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:53 am

Wayne23 wrote: We finished the season with a national title and a record of 37-3. For my 5 year coaching career I was 152-32, .826. Not bad!

I'll never understand how you guys do this so quickly. I'm on my 10th year and still haven't even made a NCAA Tournament yet. :(
Zingo
Seton Hall (Grad. School)
Rutgers University (Undergrad.)
Zingo

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:13 pm

I've been playing since 2007. I've learned a lot about the game. I also set my Potential ratings very high- typically but not always, 85 across the board. I set recruiting to Normal (usually Easy in year 1) and go for recruits I feel I have a real shot with based on the factors that are most important to them- Ex. 1: no point going for a guy whose #1 is Team Prestige if I'm at a low TP school. Ex. 2: My coach is fairly high on Discipline, If the recruit likes that I go after him. Ex. 3: I'm high on academics- if the recruit likes that I go after him...
This year, with Transfers being such a big thing I go after transfers I feel I have a realistic shot at.
I never hesitate to cut a player who clearly is never going to help the team, then I go after a transfer or a recruit who probably WILL help.
I set my initial Scouting rating higher than the others because Scouting improves painfully slowly and it's important.
Over the years I have experimented with which offensive sets to use and which Defenses work best. I use only two sets on O. I choose among Motion, Flex, Princeton and Triangle. Doing 20 minutes for one, 15 for the other. If the team I'm going to has been using one, or with great luck two of these four, those are the ones I go with. The longer I play this game the more I go with man-to-man on D. I now pretty much always practice it for 30 minutes, with 5 minutes each for 2-3 and 3-2, and 10 minutes for full court man-to-man press, I press between about 25% of the time and about 40% of the time. If it's close late in the game I increase that. In the final minute of a close game I may press 100% of the time. When in doubt playing out a game, I use man-to-man 100% of the time.
I have no hesitancy about playing a guy slightly out of position- an SG at SF, an SF at PF, vice versa... Make sure the player has the position checked under Depth. Click to the right of his name and look at the bottom of the scree, just above his name and position. On the same line, to the right, is Sub at: I set it at 55 or 60 for starters, similarly for subs I want in there and at 90 for subs I do NOT want in at crucial times.
I'll post other hints as I think of them.
Wayne23

Postby Zingo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:17 pm

Wayne23 wrote:I've been playing since 2007. I've learned a lot about the game. I also set my Potential ratings very high- typically but not always, 85 across the board. I set recruiting to Normal (usually Easy in year 1) and go for recruits I feel I have a real shot with based on the factors that are most important to them- Ex. 1: no point going for a guy whose #1 is Team Prestige if I'm at a low TP school. Ex. 2: My coach is fairly high on Discipline, If the recruit likes that I go after him. Ex. 3: I'm high on academics- if the recruit likes that I go after him...
This year, with Transfers being such a big thing I go after transfers I feel I have a realistic shot at.
I never hesitate to cut a player who clearly is never going to help the team, then I go after a transfer or a recruit who probably WILL help.
I set my initial Scouting rating higher than the others because Scouting improves painfully slowly and it's important.
Over the years I have experimented with which offensive sets to use and which Defenses work best. I use only two sets on O. I choose among Motion, Flex, Princeton and Triangle. Doing 20 minutes for one, 15 for the other. If the team I'm going to has been using one, or with great luck two of these four, those are the ones I go with. The longer I play this game the more I go with man-to-man on D. I now pretty much always practice it for 30 minutes, with 5 minutes each for 2-3 and 3-2, and 10 minutes for full court man-to-man press, I press between about 25% of the time and about 40% of the time. If it's close late in the game I increase that. In the final minute of a close game I may press 100% of the time. When in doubt playing out a game, I use man-to-man 100% of the time.
I have no hesitancy about playing a guy slightly out of position- an SG at SF, an SF at PF, vice versa... Make sure the player has the position checked under Depth. Click to the right of his name and look at the bottom of the scree, just above his name and position. On the same line, to the right, is Sub at: I set it at 55 or 60 for starters, similarly for subs I want in there and at 90 for subs I do NOT want in at crucial times.
I'll post other hints as I think of them.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate the wisdom. Still grinding away at it. The first few years in my save I didn't even go after recruits who had no interest but that changed when I went to Fordham. I've always been nervous to cut scholarship kids because of the prestige hit, but it sounds like it is worth it? Also for my current save I did set my potentials high (85) and started low (25, Rookie). I think now I'm somewhere in the 50s. Normal recruiting throughout. The subbing advice here was especially helpful. Wasn't fully aware of the impact of that mechanic before now.
Last edited by Zingo on Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zingo
Zingo

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:45 pm

I never worry about the TP hit. I'll get it back within a year or two.
Wayne23

Postby Zingo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:11 pm

You might, I won't. :D
Zingo
Zingo

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports