Developing a DePaul Dynasty

Developing a DePaul Dynasty

Postby Vann_the_Red » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:14 pm

Posted this over on the discord and they suggested posting this on a board would be even more on brand for me.
Part 1 : A New Beginning
This is a DDSCB dynasty report but I’m old, so we’re doing this old school. That’s right, text and pics; none of that new-fangled YouTube nonsense.
I’ve always felt that DePaul should be a national power given its location. In this dynasty, our coach is an alum who’s come back to the US after a 10-year pro career in the EuroLeague and settled in as the head coach at Youngstown State in hopes of rising to his alma mater.
House rule number one is to only recruit Midwesterners and Europeans until such time as other start interested in the school. House rule number two is that I have to stay at a school until the first player I recruit graduates.
I’ll post as time permits. Comments and criticism are more than welcome. Yes, Cards, I know I’m crap and need to watch more of your YouTube videos. I’m tryin’, brother.
I’d introduce my staff, but they were even more crap than I am, so I fired them and hired the best guys that don’t have jobs. We’ll get into those positions when we get to the postseason.
As I read this, it’s not a bad roster. Defense is above average for a team at this level which fits perfectly with me and my in-game coach. Scoring looks pretty balanced in/out with our best scorers at SF and C (when you factor in both scoring and talent). I usually go with a mix of zones on defense, but I’m going to try this dynasty as a base man-to-man team with the odd zone thrown in. We’re going to play slow, never press full court, but mix in half court traps. On offense, I’m going to mix flex and motion since those are pretty well known by incoming freshmen. Fortunately for me, my predecessor ran a motion heavy offense and almost exclusively man-to-man. I set my strategy and practice plan (and remember to save this time).
My only graduating player is a point guard and my roster is full, so that’s my focus for this recruiting season. I haven’t a chance at any 4-star outside of Ohio, so I’ll look at 3- and 2- star guys from the Midwest and Europe. This nets us 32 candidates for my slot including an in-state 4-star! Who, sadly, is a C- defender C- passer who didn’t stand out in Chicago.
A few weeks later, we’ve weeded out the guys that didn’t distinguish themselves in the camp, can’t defend, or both and we’re down to 20 options. Given the size of the school and the state of our facilities, we’re not inviting anyone to visit unless he’s already warm (at least). We’ll zip through most of these recruiting turns letting our recruiter work since that’s not my strength.
That brings us to go-week – 4 September. Only one top 25 camper is even cool to me, so we’ll offer him today and give him a pitch next week. The object of my affection threw me over on the 25th in favor of Cleveland State. Now we’re to the start of the season. No one wants my scholly. We’ll stop here for the night.
Last edited by Vann_the_Red on Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vann_the_Red

Re: Developing a DePaul Dynasty

Postby Vann_the_Red » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:16 pm

Okay, so I clearly need to figure out how to post my images. Hey, I'm a computer science professional (degrees and certificates and everything!), so surely I can manage that soon and edit them in.

Comments and questions are more than welcome.
Vann_the_Red

Postby PointGuard » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:29 pm

Good start. Looking forward to see how this goes.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:19 am

Great start! Looking forward to more!
Wayne23

Postby Zingo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:35 am

Good to see you on the forums! Interested in seeing how this develops.
Zingo
Seton Hall (Grad. School)
Rutgers University (Undergrad.)
Zingo

Postby Vann_the_Red » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:53 pm

Images edited in, next chapter simming.
Vann_the_Red

Postby Vann_the_Red » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Chapter 2: Games Begin
We’re going to do the first season in three big chunks. First, we’ll sim through 1 January. I’m playing this on a rusty old Surface of curiosity to archaeologists, so each sim’s going to take me a while. Ouch. That was brutal. We set a downy-soft schedule and still managed to lose all our non-conference games before beating Fort Wayne and sit 1-10 (1-1). Here’s a look at our team stats thus far:
Still no recruits, but no significant injuries either, so that’s good. Now we’ll sim through mid-February.
Double-whammy as we go 1-12 this segment AND the international PG we’ve been courting fails to meet our 860 SAT. Switched gears on recruit prospects and starting to get the offense in order. We have to play better defense.
Then the game took a big poo. Restarting from that point. Finished up 3-26 (3-17) which is far worse than I expected. Since the offense was acceptable, that suggests we underachieved on defense. At any rate, still no recruits and we drew UIC in the first round of the tourney. Shockingly, we pick up an upset win! Next up, Indianapolis. And the season comes to a close with a 56-49 loss where our defense finally shows up, but the offense missed the bus. And, so, we fast forward to the next time we can make in home visits.
Here's an overview of the first season. Lousy, right? You won’t be surprised to learn that I had no all-conference players. We do, though, have our staff together now:
And we got a recruit!
Thus endeth season 1.
Vann_the_Red

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:43 pm

Decent looking recruit. Hopefully that's only the first of the good news!
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:37 pm

Yeah, good recruit! Except you're going to HATE having to type his name for this dynasty report. :p
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:07 pm

That's why ALL of my players' names get reduced to 3 or 4 letters- both first and last names! He'd be Bonu Gatz, or something like that.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports