Way Back When

Re: Way Back When

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:14 am

3/9: #3 seed George Washington, 18-11, 10-6, for the Conf. I title. They beat us by 14 on their court so this is not a given. We shot poorly that night and had several players in foul trouble all night. Their guards outplayed ours.

Hart: We just had a bad night.

Last: We were very much outplayed and defeated. We need to play considerably better! We especially need to play better in the back court!

Game time: We take an early lead. Up 9 after 10. 34-20 at the break. Excellent defense! 11, 4 for Kent, but 3 fouls; his man also has 3. We held their starting back court to 5. 5 TOs to 18. We get the lead to 20. This one is over early. The subs are getting lots of playing time.

80-60. 13, 3, 10 for Point Guard Sean Rich. 15 each for Kent and Malo, 10, 3, 6, 5 for Post, 12, 5, 4 blocks for Grun. 9 TOs to 27.

Dal Kent is tournament Most Outstanding player. He, Rich, and Post make the tournament all star team.

Bench Coach Jon Hart: We were all but invincible in this tournament.

Last: Yes we were. Now on to the big tournament.

Hart: How far can we go.

Last: Honestly? To get to the round of 16 would be a triumph. Anything beyond that would be miraculous.

Hart: Do you think about going somewhere that you could contend for a national title?

Last: I do, but I need to further build my skills. I want to stay here at least another year, perhaps 2 or 3, then see what happens. Of course if I were to receive a truly tempting offer, who knows?

Hart: How high will we be seeded?

Last: NET #25. We can hope for a #6, but it will more likely be a #7 or a #8.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:35 am

3/12: #6 South. We play #11 Wichita ST. They are 1-2 vs. ranked teams. We feel we're the better team.

Jon Hart: How do you feel about the bracket, Jake?

Last: If we are fortunate enough to defeat Wichita ST, which is entirely possible, we will very likely face Wisconsin. They're ranked #13. That would be an enormous challenge. If we were to somehow defeat them it would likely be Alabama, ranked #10. A VERY tall order.

3/17: We're sluggish early on. Down 3 after 10, shooting .190. 26-31 at halftime. Our defense is fine but we're shooting 32.4%, 1-6 on threes. They are shooting 50%, 3-8 on threes. Art Post has 3 fouls. They are winning in the paint, scoring there too easily. I make some adjustments at halftime.. We catch up quickly and take a slight lead. Up 6 with 10 to play. Then we go on a run and secure the game!

70-49. 44-18 in the 2nd half, so superb defense was the key.

Post Game Press Conference (Excerpts):

“Congratulations Coach Last. What were the keys to Bryant's success.”

“Stifling defense, particularly in the second half. Excellent play by our guards, Art Post had 13, 3, 5, with 5 steals, and he defended well against their
leading scorer. Sean Rich had 14, 3, and 6 and also played very good defense. Our first big man of the bench, Kurt Grun had 14 and 8. We had 11 fewer
turnovers and scored 12 more points in the paint. Our bench scored 13 more than theirs.

“How far can a little school like Bryant go in the tournament?”

“Any win is a triumph, and we are very proud of our success.”

“Can you defeat #13 ranked Wisconsin?”

“We can only try, and I guarantee we will do that!”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:46 am

3/18: #3 seed, #13 ranked Wisconsin, 21-9, in the 2nd round. They are heavily favored. 5-5 vs. Top 25 teams. They do not score many points but they give up only 54.9. We'll need to play our very best game and hope that they do not!

3/19: Tied after 5. Down 3 after 10. 24-37 at the half. They are VERY good. Holding us to 32% but they are shooting only 35.1%. They have taken 12 more shots due to our 15 turnovers, which is disastrous; we MUST do better.

“Boys, you need to move without the ball and get open.”

They are simply too good. We fall behind by 20. I will let everyone play so that all can say they have played in the big tournament.

59-72 and a very good season comes to an end.

We shot slightly better than they did but they took 18 more shots! 14, 8 for Dal Kent in his last collegiate game. 12, 10, 6 for Post, 12, 7 for Malo,. 24 turnovers but they were so much quicker that this was all but inevitable. -16 in the paint, -15 on 2nd chances, both due to their size. They were simply the better team.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:08 am

4/2: I have had a bit of free time and I journey to Providence via the railroad to enjoy both operas and popular music concerts. I go to concerts at every opportunity.

4/3: #2 ranked Texas is the national champion.

4/4: Awards: Art Post is Conf. I Defensive player of the Year. Kurt Grun is Freshman of the Year. I am honored with the coaching award. No one makes the conference first team, which mystifies me. Post and Sean Rich make the 2nd team. How was our best player, Dal Kent, not honored!

4/9: It will be interesting to see which schools approach me, if any. I expect to remain here, of course.

Jon Hart: I saw several telegrams in the entryway.

Last: Yes. 11 schools wired about their head coaching position.

Hart: And?

Last: Indiana, Texas A & M, Vermont, George Mason- those were the most interesting.

Hart: Will you visit any of those schools?

Last: After some consideration, no. I will remain here at Bryant for at least one more season.

Hart: That is wonderful news!

4/12: Mrs. O'Shaughnessy's New England boiled dinner was even more superb than usual tonight.

4/19: A terrible earthquake appears to have destroyed the city of San Francisco. How awful! We are all awaiting further details. Hopefully there will be special editions of the newspapers with more details, if not today than in the next few days.

4/22: The city of San Francisco appears to have been all but totally destroyed. There is great loss of life.

4/23: I ask for a budget increase. Telegrams are relatively expensive and even a small increase would allow us to send more. It seems that recruits are quite impressed when they receive telegrams.

A $14,000 increase! I am delighted! That will pay for many telegrams, and for the increase in travel costs. Wonderful news!

Jon Hart: How high will we go?

Last: I think conference F.

Hart: That will be quite a challenge.

Last: Yes. That is probably about as high as we can rise...

Dal Kent will be missed; he is our only senior. If we do not get hurt too much in the transfer portal we can look forward to having another very good team.

27-5, conference champs, 2nd round of the tournament. For 5 seasons mny record is 138-23. .857.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 11, 2022 5:18 pm

5/1: Recruit class #257. We only had one recruit.

We jump to Conf. F.

I have to say I think we're going to be really good this year if we don't lose too many to the transfer portal.

5/5: The more we hear about San Francisco, the more terrible the earthquake seems to have been. Just awful.

5/10: When I hear tunes like “The Saint Louis Tickle” I really wish I played the piano!

5/19: Something called “vitamins” seems to be very important to health. No idea what they are or what to do with them if they can be found.

5/29: We lose 4 transfers. OUCH! Forward Ed Cone would have been strictly a sub. Guard Bo Gore would have been our #4 guard, F Mic Mury would have gotten minutes, and guard Ty Bank would have gotten minutes.

So we need 2 guards and 2 bigs. Let's see what happens.

Round 1: We offer to 2 Bs and 2 Cs. 0-4.

Round 2: We offer to an A, a B, 2 Cs. 3-4. We get the B and both Cs.

Round 3: We offer to a C. We get him. Now we look REALLY good!

6/17: Arthur and his bride had a beautiful day for their wedding. It went off without a hitch. The wedding and reception provided a wonderful time for all.

I will look in on Arthur's house while they are away for a few days on their honeymoon.

I met three lovely young ladies. One of them, a seamstress who lives only about 5 miles away in Glocester, caught my eye, I must admit. I have her address and will write. Oh, her name is Emma Smithfield. Evidently her family founded the town I live in.

6/23: I received a reply from Emma! It was quite encouraging. I will write again and ask if I might visit her family some time soon. She lives with her parents and a younger sister.

6/25: We'll go to the Jam and the big Apple again.

6/26: 5 scholarships. We want 3 and 2 either way.

Dal Kent was drafted #45. He's the first of my players to be drafted!

Recruiting Coach Scot Rigo: Well, Jake, what are we looking for?

Jake Last: The best players we have a reasonable chance of landing.

Rigo: Not necessarily easy to find.

Jake: No, but a few things help. They need to be close to or in Rhode Island. They have to have Location as very important. They have to be interested in facilities. That's about it. If they're really big on things we can't offer, don't waste time and money on them.

6/30: I will call upon Emma on the 7th of July.

7/8: I had a delightful time with thr Smithfield family. They invited me to dinner and then we visited in the parlor. I had to leave in time to catch the last trolley of the evening at 9:00.. It was a lovely evening and Mr. Smithfield said as I was saying my goodbyes,

“Do call upon us again, Mr. Last.”

I shall. I caught Emma with a shy smile on her face when her father spoke.

7/17: Coach Last: How's it going. Scot?

Rigo: We have lots of players who have answered our telegrams, usually with letters, and shown interest. I've scouted nearly all of them, and as you know, we've hosted all but one of those we are most interested in. I am optimistic.

Last: Sounds good!

I read in the papers that Finland will allow women to vote starting in the next election. What nonsense!

7/30: I have been courting Emma for a month now. We usually visit with the family in their parlor, but on two occasions I took Emma and her sister Meg to musical concerts, one in Glocester and one in providence. The latter was quite an experience. We took the train as t he trolleys do not run late enough.

Meg had never been on a train and she was quite excited, perhaps more excited about the train than about the concert. She is only 13 years old. Emma is considerably younger than I, 24. I am now 33.

We are, well I am, very contented with our relationship. It is too early to know for certain that it will lead to marriage but I have my hopes!

8/21: We offer to 2 PGs, 2 PFs, and a C.

8/30: “Well, young man, you have been courting my daughter for two months as of this date. May I ask what your intentions are?”

“Certainly, Mr. Smithfield. I have every hope that the relationship will proceed and that we will, in time, marry.”

“Ah. You should know that Mrs. Smithfield and I, and Meg, of course, have grown very fond of you. I understand that it is far too soon for a ofrmal proposal of marriage, but when the time comes I wish you to know that I shall look favorably upon it.”

“Nothing could make me happier. I live in hopes that Emma will be amenable to such a proposal.”

“That is my hope, as well, Mr. Last.”

I never really thought this would happen after losing dear Alma, but I know that she would not wish me to live my life alone.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:33 pm

9/11: We visit 4 recruits this week, 2 in MA, 1 in NJ, and the 4th down in VA, a longer trip. We have hopes!

9/18: We get 2, lose 2. We get a C, #54, and a great catch, and a PG, #33, and #1 on our list. 3 to go!

Ted Baer gave us a challenging schedule, which I very much wanted. I honestly believe we will have one of the best teams in the nation. I am disappointed that again this season we were not invited to a tournament. 5 ranked teams, all on the road.

9/25: We get 2, lose 1. We get a PF, #105, and another PF, #154. We need a guard.

10/2: We lose a guard. We offer to another.

First day of practice. I couldn't be more excited. We're good and we're deep, at every position. Watch out world!

Things continue to go very smoothly with Emma.

“Do you cook, Emma?”

“My mother is a wonderful cook and she is attempting to teach me to cook and bake.”

“I am delighted to hear it!”

“I have a great deal to learn. Mother did not allow me at her side as she cooked when I was a child. It is only since... well, since I met you, that she has been willing to assist me.”

“Do you enjoy cooking and baking?”

“I am still at the stage when it is somewhat worrisome. I hope to come to enjoy it in time.”

“you should perhaps encourage your mother to allow Meg to accompany the two of you in the kitchen.”

“Mother has already determined that that is a wise course. She now sees that she was mistaken in not introducing me to the culinary arts earlier. In truth,
I believe Meg is progressing more quickly than I am.”

“Oh well, you'll get there.”

“I sincerely hope so!”

Hm, I'm wondering what my diet will be like while Emma learns. Oh well.

10/9: We lose the guard. We offer to another one that we're less crazy about.

10/16: We get the guard, #170.

11/12: Here's the lineup but as far as the big men are concerned it is definitely subject to change!

Senior Sean Rich is back at PG.

Senior Art Post is back at SG.

#3 guard is soph Ric Arch. #4, Ike Wall, is a transfer from Harvard where he started for the last 2 seasons. #5 is soph Jeb Moon.

Senior Ryan Malo returns at SF. He has looked very good in practice.

Senior Sam Turn returns at PF.

Soph Kurt Grun, our 6th man last season, is at C.

1st big man off the bench is senior John Weal, a transfer from Fl ST. He could start. #2 is soph Dan Mass, a transfer from Wisconsin who has loked very good. Third big man off the bench is junior Lang Robi. Finally there is Carl Dori, a soph transfer who started at Temple last season. We don't have any weak players inside and only one outside!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 am

11/14: We start the season with ODU here.

Emma and I, along with Meg, go for walks many an evening. It allows us to talk and to get to know each other, which is nice. Meg often dominates the conversation but that's all right.

11/26: We started the season with a 77-53 win over ODU here. Our guards did very well, Art Post had 15, 1, 7, 7 steals, 3 blocks. Sean Rich 16, 2, 6. Sub F/C
John Weal had 15 and 10 in only 21 minutes as Kent Grun fouled out in 20 minutes. We took good care of the ball, 10 turnovers.

We then defeated Iona here by a score of 87-39. Weal again had 15 points, and #3 guard Ric Arch had 18. Only 9 turnovers as we again were very good with the ball.

Our 3rd game was a home win against Harvard, 75-52. 22, 4, 5 for Rich, 14, 3, 8, 3 for Post. 11 turnovers.

Finally, we went on the road where our luck changed as we lost to #11 ranked San Diego ST, 63-72. 20 turnovers hurt our cause but fouls destroyed us. They were 28-35 from the line to our 19-17. Starters Grun and Post fouled out. I honestly felt that we were never given a chance as the foul disparity truly did us in.

As the evenings grow colder Emma and I are walking less, and spending more evenings sitting in the parlor of her parents' home.

I plan to propose matrimony in about a month.

I've managed to discover what these “vitamins” are. apparently they are substances that the body needs and they are contained in the foods we eat. Certain foods contain more or less of each one, and a varied diet helps us to get enough of all of them. It seems rather complicated.

Emma tells me she can now make a decent loaf of bread but her pies still need work.

“Cooking is easy but baking is rather a challenge. Mother is patient with me, thankfully.”

Emma cooked dinner for the family and me the other night. She made a pot roast and it was really quite good. Her apple pie was all right, but not excellent by any means. The bread was tasty, if a bit chewy.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:55 am

12/14: 3 of the last 4 games were on the road.

In the first we defeated Kona, there, 63-61 in overtime, in a very competitive, but low scoring, game. Art Post made a 22 footer at the
end of regulation to save our bacon, and then Kurt Grun blocked a shot with time running out to give us the win. Grun led us with 13, 10, 3, 3 steals, 4 blocks. Post had 16, 6, 4. Sam Turn managed 10 and 14. Fouls plagued us again.

We then lost at Iowa by a single point, 73-74, when Grun missed an 8 foot shot in the final second. He had 19 and 6, Post scoring 21, 7, 5, 3.

Our lone home game resulted in a lopsided 83-51 win over Washington. Sean Rich led us with 23, 4, 7, and his back court mate Art Post managed 23 as well, with 2, 7, 4, 3. Very good defense held the opponent to 29.8% shooting.

Finally, we defeated Auburn, there, by a score of 88-54. 20, 5, 5 for Rich, 17, 6 for Weal. +12 rebounds, and we held them to 32.1% shooting.

After 8 games we are 6-2, NET #29.

We are perhaps not quite as good as I had first thought, but on the other hand we seem to be getting better so we may yet get there.

John Weal will take some of Sam Turn's minutes. Weal is playing very well.

12/17: Before we go on a four game road trip I asked Mr. Smithfield for Emma's hand in marriage. While this was hardly a surprise it was received very positively by the entire family. A June wedding is planned.

Emma's cooking is getting to be very good. Her baking skills are still somewhat … irregular in quality but she is working very hard to improve.

I am not certain what an “air conditioner” is but I read in the paper that one Willis Carrier has invented such a thing. Evidently it cools the air in the room in which it is placed. I cannot imagine how that works but I suppose time will tell. If it does indeed work that will be a wonderful thing!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 am

1/8/1907: In our first game Kurt Grun was injured, a sprained wrist. He missed the next game. John Weal started in his place.

We won that 1st game at #22 Oregon by a 93-63 margin. Ryan Malo had 16 and 7 and 5 others had 10 or more. +20 RBs, +24 in the paint.
In our next, with Weal filling in for Grn, we lost badly at West Virginia, 53-69. We shot only 34.9% and were unable to generate any offense. 21 turnovers also hurt our cause.

Kurt Grun was back in the lineup for our final pre-conference game at #14 Purdue. We lost 66-69 in Overtime, in a very competitive game. We missed a rather easy 12 footer at the end of regulation and then missed an open three at the end of overtime, so we had our opportunities. Grun had 12 and 12 and Weal 13 and 9.

We end pre-conference play at 7-4, NET #16, with two of our losses being exceedingly close. We are 1-1 in overtime.

+14.9 PPG, +4.3 RBs, -7.0 TOs. +6.3 assists, +4.1 steals.

Art Post leads us with 13.5 points and sub John Weal is 2nd with 10.3. Sean Rich gets 10.2.

Weal will start for Sam Turn.

Bench Coach Jon Hart: We could have done better.

Coach Last: We did fine. I expect us to dominate Conference F.

This is a bitter-sweet time for me. I remember the excitement of wedding preparations with Alma and this is so reminiscent of that. It saddens me. I am, of course, very eager to be wed to Emma, but still, there is a degree of sadness.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:16 pm

1/21: We went 3-1 in our first 4 conference F games. I didn't believe anyone in F could beat us. I was wrong!

We began with our 4th consecutive away game, winning 78-63 at Belmont. Kurt Grun led us with 18 and 5. 13 and 10 for John Weal, who now starts. PG Sean Rich had 10 assists.

We finally came home and beat Vanderbilt 87-64. 22, 11 for Weal, 21, 10 for Grun, good guard play. +21 rebounds, and a remarkable +40 in the paint,

It was 65-52 vs. LSU here. This was defensive game in which Malo and Post each scored 14. 9 turnovers to 22.

Then we lost at Texas A & M, 54-61 in overtime. We had a chance to win it at the end of regulation but missed an open 12 footer. Grun fouled out playing only 19 minutes and we simply did not play well as a team.

Only Butler is undefeated in Conf. F after 4 games.

Jon Hart and I decide to go over the lineup, as we do after every game. We are certain that we have the right people playing the right amount of minutes at guard.

We believe we have made the right move in inserting John Weal into the starting lineup at PF. Kurt Grun clearly belongs at Center. The only question relates to the remaining position, SF. Sam Turn is a much better rebounder, Ryan Malo is a much better defender. They score a similar amount of points. We are starting Malo for now but debating how many minutes Turn should be given.

Wedding plans continue. Emma was here at the boarding house the other night. Mrs. O'Shaughnessy makes the best beef stew I've ever tasted and Emma stood at her side all afternoon, taking notes, in order to learn how to make it the right way. I am grateful to both women!
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports