Way Back When

Re: Way Back When

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:56 pm

3/7: We play #8 seed Buffalo, 18-10, 8-8, in the quarter finals. We won by 13 there. They're rather good actually. We expect a challenge.

3/8: We score the first 10. Up 10 after 10. 47-37. After we scored the first 10 they've played us even, which is not good! Ric Arch has 3 fouls, which is also not good; he played only 8 minutes. Up 17 with 10 left.

88-79. We were unimpressive tonight. 17, 3 for sub Mike Ross, 13, 0, 6 for sub Colt Reed, The bench won it for us, scoring 43. Arch had a terrible night, 8 points on 2-10 shooting. Hopefully he got it out of his system as we won't go far if he remains cold.

#2 seed Marquette was shocked by #7 seed Miami.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:09 pm

3/9: We play #4 seed Arizona ST, 19-11, 11-5, in the semifinals. We beat them by 9 at home and 20 at their place. They are 1-5 vs. ranked teams. In both regular season games we stifled their back court, and that is the key to defeating them.

Game time: They jump out to a quick lead. We're down 12 after 10. I call my 2nd time out and maximize the defense. We are down 36-46 at the half and playing very poorly. Arch is 1-7, and AZ ST is shooting 55.2%. We are in grave danger. We take our first lead with just under 14 to play. Tied with 10 to go. We take control late.

87-74 but we received quite a fright! Our bench saved us, scoring 39. Mike Ross led us with 17 and 3. 3 players had 13 each. Ric Arch has another poor game, scoring 10 on 4-12 shooting. +24 in the paint saved us, along with our bench.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:20 pm

3/10: It is #3 seed Texas Tech, 21-8, 11-5, for the Conference D title. We beat them by 26 at home. Their strength is outside and we need to be better than we've been in our last two games.

Game time: Our players seem to be on edge as we await the start of the game. I am uncertain as to whether this is good or bad.

We're sluggish and sloppy early on and we fall behind again. Then we come back and trail by 4 after 10. Arch is hot. 53-46 after a first half that saw little to no defense by either side. We shot an amazing 64.3%, 5-10 on threes. They shot 48.5%. 15 for Arch, which is vital to us. Good bench play again, 22 points.

Kurt Grun has 3 fouls. It is a sloppy game with lots of turnovers. The lead grows to 20 and we are in firm control.

106-78. 53-32 in the 2nd half. 19 each for Arch and Fran Quar, who doesn't typically play a great deal, but he was hot so I left him in. 11, 6 for Grun who only played 18 minutes before fouling out. Our bench scored 56, more points than our starters scored.

We really only played our best basketball in the second half of the title game. We did not have a strong tournament. Hopefully we will now right the ship!

My wife, who always seemed to enjoy coming to our games, did not journey to providence to see any of these tournament games. I still have not seen her.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:43 pm

3/11: We are 26-4, 15-1, #10, NET #7. We are hoping for a #2 seed.

3/12: #3 South. We are disappointed, feeling that we earned a #2 seed. We play #14, SE Louisiana, 20-10. They have played no ranked teams.

3/13: I decide to visit the Smithfields before leaving for Atlanta.

“Hello Emma.”

“... Hello.”

“Are you fully recovered?”

“... Yes.”

“Good. I have missed you.”

Emma excused us and took me into the kitchen.

“I cannot be a wife to you, Jacob.”

“You cannot or you will not?”

“I cannot. I cannot face the possibility of becoming with child again. I cannot and I will not do it.”

”So our marriage is over.”

“I'm sorry. If you choose to seek a divorce I will not stand in your way.”

“Suppose we just take our time with all of this. I will wait to see if you might change your mind.”

“I will never change my mind, Jacob, never.”

“I will not trouble you again, Emma. If you ever wish to speak with me, you know how to find me.”

With that I left. I went downtown and had a beer, and then a second one. All that did was make me feel bloated so I walked back home. Mrs. Smithfield sends Meg over with my dinner every night that I am at home. The plate was on the table. I ate, then went to bed early.

We caught the train at 6:45 the next morning.

3/17: We take the lead right away. 51-26 at the half. This game is hardly a contest. Robi leads us with 10. 9 players have scored. Only 3 turnovers. The subs are getting lots of minutes in the second half.

89-62. A very easy first game. 14, 6 for Lang Robi, 14, 4, 4 for Carl Dori, 13 for sub Colt Reed, 12, 9 for Grun, 12, 2, 4 for Ike Wall. Ric Arch's shooting woes return, 8 points on 2-10 shooting. +24 in the paint.

I speak with Arch after the game:

“Richard, just let your body take over. I believe your mind is getting in your way. You are a natural shooter. Turn off your brain and just do what you've always done.”

“Thanks Coach. I will try that.”

I believe I will stay here at Bryant and see how they will fare in Conference C. I've given that a great deal of thought. That would also give Emma another year to think things over. This is not final, of course.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:59 pm

3/18: In the 2nd round we face a ranked opponent, #20 ranked, #6 seed Oregon, 21-10. This seems like rather a difficult second round opponent but what can we do? We are favored by only a half point. They can score outside, but they score 11 ½ fewer than we do, and give up 2 fewer. They have played a strong schedule, going 5-5 against ranked teams. We expect a challenge. Ric Arch may well be the key, along with our bench.

3/19: Good defense will be important tonight. We are playing stifling defense early on. Up 6 after 10; their defense is playing well as well.
We go on a big run. 42-27 at halftime. 11 for Grun. +7 for the bench. Arch has taken only 3 shots, making 1. +12 in the paint. They are shooting 32%, 2-11 on threes. They make a comeback, 50-49 with 10 to play. We open a small lead. They come back and tie the score with under 5 left.

78-67 but it was a definite struggle! 18, 7 for Grun, 15, 7, 3 for Dori, 11, 3, 4 for Dan Mass. +18 in the paint. We won this game in the paint. Arch was ineffective again, scoring only 5.

I have always maintained that reaching the round of 16 means a team has had a very successful season. Wee have now reached the goal in 3 of my 6 seasons as a head coach. Last season we made the round of 8.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:13 am

3/23: A definite challenge next as we face #2 seed, #6 ranked Baylor, 27-7. They are 6-4 against ranked teams. They are a big favorite.
They can score both inside and outside, and they have a very strong defense. This will not be easy.

3/24: Slow start for both teams and then they take a lead. Down 9 after 10; we're shooting .167. Then we catch them. Then they go ahead again. 24-32 at the half. Grun has 3 fouls which is a big problem against their all star Center. -11 RBs. No one has more than 6 points and we are shooting 30.6%.

“Boys, you are playing very strong defense. You need to work harder to get open for good shots.”

We fall 10 points behind with 13 left. Down 11 with 10 to play.

64-76. We never stopped trying but their defense was too strong. Their C had 33 and 14, and their SG had 21. They were the difference.

Arch had 16, Robi 13 and 6. Our bench was +11. -14 in the paint, -12 rebounds.

It was a very good season!
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:50 am

4/3: We lost to the champions. #6 Baylor won the title.

4/4: Awards: Ric Arch and Kurt Grun make the Conf. D 2nd team. I am Coach of the year. I feel our team was slighted given how we dominated the conference.

4/9: As I said awhile ago I plan to stay here for at least one more season but let us see what offers come my way.

Team Prestige rises to 33.

Every interested school that I might be interested in is on the West Coast. I will remain here.

I am considering moving back to the boarding house. It is inconvenient living here in Glocester and there seems to be no point.

4/16: My bench coach, Jon Hart, gets the head coaching job at Boston University. I hire Sam Jonn.

4/23: I ask for a budget increase.

No. 28-5, Round of 16. Overall, for 7 seasons, I am 193-35, .846.

On to Conference C!

A terrible earthquake kills tens of thousands in Italy. It is difficult to imagine such a thing. As awful as the San Francisco earthquake was two years ago it killed far fewer people.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:34 am

5/1: Recruiting class #22 which is rather impressive!

After speaking with Mr. and Mrs. Smithfield I moved back into the boarding house. I am certain the local gossips are having a field day with this but I do not care. I am happier here, and it is more convenient. I sold or gave away the furniture in the house in Glocester.

A wonderful new song is extremely popular. It is about the baseball and is called, “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” It is quite lively! I hope to go to Boston to see some games soon.

5/18: I am very comfortable living in the boarding house. While living separate from one's wife is frowned apart it was not my decision. This is better. I sincerely hope Emma is content.

5/29: 3 players transfer. Center Mike Ross might have started. Center Fran Quar would have gotten minutes. Guard Brad Jona would not have played.

We want a guard and 2 bigs.

Round 1: We offer to two bigs, both Bs, and an unrated PG. 0-3.

Round 2: We offer to the same 2 bigs, who are now in top 5 land, and the PG who is a C and also has us in his top 5. 3-3! The Center will start. The other two will get minutes.

6/25: We will go to East Coast Jam and Big Apple.

6/26: 5 scholarships.

7/11: Few of our recruits have telephones in their homes. We do call those few but for most, letters, post cards, and telegrams are the method of communication. They most often answer via post card since it only costs a penny.

7/21: “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” continues to be the most popular new song in years.

A man named Henry Ford is selling his automobile for $850. I believe this is a terrible idea. I do not like motor cars. They are dangerous and they stink up the area when they pass through. The trolley and the railroad train provide convenient, inexpensive, safe means of getting from one place to another. I sincerely hope Mr. Ford's new venture is NOT successful.

8/21: We offer scholarships to a PG, an SG, 2 PFs, and a C.

Two of my three assistants live here in the boarding house. Cris Poey, my Scouting coach, is married. He lives in town, only a short walk from here. He attends almost all of our staff meetings. Occasionally either family responsibilities or his scouting duties keep him away. I always fill him in later when that happens.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:13 am

9/18: We land a recruit, an SG ranked #186. We lose 2 big men, offer to 2 others.

We are FINALLY invited to a tournament, the Fallen Heroes. We play NC ST. Nearly all of our pre-conference games are at home. The better teams do not want to play here but we've done what we can to compile a challenging schedule. 2 of our Conf. C opponents are ranked. We play #14 Memphis twice but do not face #24 Michigan.

9/25: We sign a PF, #182, but lose our #1 prospect. We offer to another.

10/2: We land 2, lose one. We land a C, #85, and a PG, #149.

First day of practice. We think we have a good team. Conference C is quite high level so it remains to be seen if we can be competitive.

I rarely think of Emma. And I do not long to be married. Mine was not a happy marriage so I do not miss being married. Nor do I expect to marry again.

10/16: Our final recruit, an SG #163, commits.

11/12: Here's the lineup:

Frosh Tom Laws is at PG. He's looked good in practice.

Senior Ric Arch is back at SG. He was a big scorer last season.

#3 guard is soph Aki Snee, who started for Nevada last season and wants to start again. Soph Colt Reed is #4 guard. He's a good ball handler and pretty good
at most things. #5 is senior Jeb Moon who isn't bad but has never been quite good enough to get many minutes.

Senior Dan Mass is at SF. He started at the beginning of last season but wasn't ready. Hopefully he is this season.

Senior Kurt Grun is back at PF and may be our best player.

Junior Deon Daws started at Clemson both last season and the year before. We have high hopes for him.

1st big man off the bench is senior Carl Dori, who started last year. If anyone falters he will move into the starting lineup. #2 is soph Jam Sear, who started for Colorado last season and put up good numbers. #3, junior Hui He, has never quite managed to get minutes. Finally, frosh Rod Brey, who has lots of potential but is not ready yet.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:29 pm

11/20: Tough season opener. We lost 88-91 in OT at Cincinnati. Their SG made exactly two threes in the game- the first sent the game to OT. The second won the game. 21, for Arch, 16, 5 for Dori. +14 RBs but a horrible 24 TOs, and that's what lost it for us. +11 at the line.

Then in the 2nd game #3 guard Aki Snee hurt his wrist. He'll miss the upcoming tournament. But it was a very easy 88-54 win over Minnesota here. 19, 5, 8 for Arch, 16, 6 for Dori, who will be starting if he can keep this up. +25 RBs, +16 in the paint.

President Roosevelt, who has only a few months left to serve, passed some kind of a big conservation measure. I guess it's a good idea as long as it doesn't stop progress.

Teddy's Vice President, 300 pound William Howard Taft, will be the new President in March.

I understand Mr. Ford's “Model T” is selling like hot cakes. I am very sorry to hear it.
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports