Way Back When

Re: Way Back When

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:37 pm

2/19: 7-16, 4-8 Stetson is here. They give up 6 more than they score, and we score more than 20 more a game.

2/20: We seem to be rested up.

Close 1st half. 35-37. We were kind of sluggish. 8 each for Meed and Lyne. I need to wake them up. We come out with some energy and build a 10 point lead.

76-61. 21, 9 for Lyne, 13 for Goss, 11 for Hank. Bench was +22. 11 fewer TOs. +24 in the paint.

2/22: At 10-14, 5-8 Fairleigh Dickinson. Their starting C is hurt. He's their best player and we're not sure how much he'll play. We think we're better but it's a road game.

The trip to Hackensack seemed short compared to the last trip.

2/23: We take the lead right away. 52-40 in a high scoring first half. Meed has 3 fouls but the bench is doing the job. 9 each for Tell, Lyne, and Hank.

Little used F/C Shay Mado has 10. Their C played 10 minutes with the injury. He got 10 points but picked up 3 fouls. The lead goes to 20 with 10 left.

95-73. Nothing wrong with the offense tonight! 19, 7 for Lyne, 11, 4, 3 for Meed, 13, 5 for Tell, 13, 3 for Hank, 10, 7 for Mado but he strained a calf and will miss our last 2 regular season games.

+13 RBs, only 11 TOs.

We clinch the regular season Conf U! 3 up with 2 to play.

Mrs. O'Brien was married to a railroad engineer and they lived well. When he dropped dead at age 57 she took their savings and his life insurance and bought the boarding house.

"I knew I didn't have enough money to live decently for the rest of my life without working. I have never been afraid of hard work and I thought a boarding house near the college would be a good money maker. Lots of professors are bachelors and they need a place to live and somebody to cook for them. It worked out very well."

"Seems like an awful lot of work."

"It is, but I have help. Sally O'Rourke is my maid. She cleans one floor every day and has Sunday off, so everything gets cleaned twice a week. Margaret O'Shaughnessy cooks dinner six days a week. I cook breakfast every day, and cook dinner on Sundays. Margaret does the dishes when she cooks and I do them when I cook.

"I try to take Monday off but it doesn't always work out. Mr. O'Casey takes care of the outside work and does any repairs inside. He's a good man.

"I miss Mr. O'Brien something terrible even after these six years of him being gone, but nothing can be done."

"You had no children."

"No. We were not blessed that way, but it was a very good marriage."

"Have you ever had bad tenants?"

"Only one since I've been here. I won't name names but he was a professor at the college. He drank, and when he did he became loud and unruly. I warned him once, I warned him twice. The third time I put him out."

"Is he still at the college?"

"I'm sure I do not know! I have not seen him in town since he left here so I imagine he's gone. Drink is a terrible thing!"

"I don't touch it except for one beer now and then one a hot day."

"That's a good policy."
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:22 pm

2/26: 7-18, 5-9 Eastern Illinois is here. We won by 10 there. We think we do everything better than they do.

2/27: Hopefully my guys will keep their focus. These last two games have no real meaning. But I want them to stay sharp!

We jump out to a big early lead. 49-36 at the break. 6 guys have between 6 and 9 points. Meed has 3 fouls yet again. The refs are hurting us, 13 on us, 5 on them, we're -10 from the line. We have only 1 TO. They get the lead to 4, then we score 5 straight.

92-82 but they made us work for it, which I'm happy about.

Jam Tell had 18 and 5. 13, 6 for Hope, who has played well recently. 12, 4, 3 for Goss, 11, 6 for Meed. 5 TOs. +22 in the paint.

3/1: At 14-12, 10-5, Alabama ST. We won by 20 at home but they're alone in 3rd place and this is a big game for them. They do a lot of things well and they're good at home so we'll need to play well.

Another long train ride but it's nice to be where the weather is warm!

3/2: We're quick out of the gate. We get the lead to 20 after 11 minutes. 55-23 at the half. I'm impressed; we're playing VERY well. 15 for Tell, 13 for Hope, 9 for Goss. +10 RBs. Their crowd was very loud before the game but we silenced them quickly.

91-65. 19, 10 for Tell, 16, 6 for Hope, 11, 8 for Hank. +22 RBs, +16 inside.

We end the regular season at 23-4, 15-1, NET #34. We win Conf U by 4 games but I think we need to win the tournament to be invited anywhere given how weak our conference is.

+12.3 PPG, we score more points than anyone in the nation! +6.3 RBs, -3.7 TOs.

Sub Gar Goss leads us in scoring with 13.0. 4 others have 10.7 or more and Davy Hank gets 9.6. Greg Meed leads us in RBs with 7.7 and Lyne gets 7.1.

Headed for the post season after a very good regular season.

3/4: We're back home. I was speaking with my Scout, Cris Cole, on the train. He rarely attends our games as he's usually scouting our future opponents instead.

"It's a tough job, Jake."

"Yes, I know it is, Cris."

"I live on the train and it gets tiring after a while."

"I'm sure it does. I hope you understand how much i appreciate what you do for us and how good a job you're doing. You're a very large part of our success."

"Thanks. I try to be thorough."

"You're thorough and you're accurate. Your reports are all I have to go on in sizing up a team we haven't played. They're vital to us!"

"I appreciate the support, Jake."

"You've earned it. I'm talking to Ted Baer about raises for all of my assistants. No promises but I'm trying."

"That would be a big help."

3/4: Jotham Hinkley, Smithfield Gazette:

Nobody in the sports world has ever paid much attention to the Bryant Bulldogs. New coach Jake Last has changed all of that. The Bulldogs went from being the doormat of Conference U to dominating it and winning the regular season by 4 games. The old record was 3.

I caught up with Coach Last and asked him about that:

"Well, Jotham, we're an experienced team that hadn't really played up to our talent level before this season. As soon as I got here I started working on convincing my boys that they were pretty darned good! Took awhile but they eventually started believing it."

"What did you change?"

"We went to 100% man-to-man defense and that has worked really well. Then on offense they were trying to run way too many sets. We dropped it to the two they ran best in the past, Motion and Princeton, and that seemed to work out pretty well."

"I'll say! You're #1 in scoring in the nation! What are you thinking about the Conference U tournament?"

"Well, we're healthy, which is good. We're preparing, and we're trying to strike a balance between being confident without being over confident. I remind the boys regularly that one bad night and it's over, and then i tell them they have the talent to win this thing!"

"Best of luck, Coach Last!"
Wayne23

Postby Zingo » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Good luck with the conference and tournament play! This is an interesting association, I like it!
Zingo
Seton Hall (Grad. School)
Rutgers University (Undergrad.)
Zingo

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:28 pm

Thanks. I plan to continue to weave in the history as it happens.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:05 am

3/5: We play #9 seed Bethune-Cookman, 12-16, 7-9, in the quarter finals. We won by 8 there. They're better outside than in. We should have a big edge inside.

Not worried about anyone going pro! But, we're losing every big on the squad except for Davy Hank; they're all graduating. Lots of holes to fill and we haven't signed a single big player. We're chasing some but we may need to rely on transfers. Right now I'm looking at a local
and two foreign players- gotta communicate with them by letter, and gamble that they're good enough since we can't go to see them play.

3/6: In Conf. U the tourney rotates. It's at Alabama ST this year.

Close first half until a late run. 46-35. 9, 8, 4 for Lyne, 9 for Hank. +9 RBs. We get the lead to 20 fairly quickly.

77-55. We didn't expect a challenge tonight and we didn't get one. 18, 12, 5, with 5 blocks for Lyne. 13, 7 for Tell, 11, 7 for Hank.+18 RBs.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:35 am

3/7: All of the favorites advance so we play the home team, #4 seed Alabama ST, 15-13, in the semifinals. We beat them by 20 and 26.

Game time: The crowd is very loud and completely behind the other team.

It takes a few minutes but we take the lead and get it to 10, then 15, then 20. Up 51-27 at the half and the crowd has been dead quiet for some time. 15, 4 for hank, 11 for Hope. +24 inside. We get the lead to 30. The subs will be in early.

93-74. 17, 12, 3 for Lyne, 14, 3, 9 for Hope, 15, 5 for Hank, 14, 5, 3 for Meed. +28 in the paint, +12 RBs.

The way we're playing right now we should win the tourney. But we can't let up.

Everybody down here is playing, singing, humming that new tune, "Bill Bailey (Won't You Please Come Home)." It's very catchy and it's a BIG hit but it's over played and I for one am getting tired of it.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:36 am

3/8: It's #2 seed North Carolina A & T, 15-14, 11-5, for the title and a trip to the NCAAs. We beat them by 17 in Smithfield. They score a lot of points down low, and their PG can get the ball to the people he wants to get it to. Our bench won it for us last time, +20. We didn't do a good job of stopping them in the paint.

Given that we're in the 2nd worst conference, even with an NET of 30 I think we need to win this one to keep playing.

The hotel where we're staying has lumpy beds. We're not sleeping well. I hope that doesn't hurt us. And we're not used to Southern food. A lot of it is very fatty and greasy, and grits? Cardboard!

Game time: Small crowd with the home team out.

It's back and forth until midway when we go on a run. We get the lead to 20. 41-21 at the half. Lyne has 10, but 3 fouls. Their bigs aren't doing much.

"20 minutes away from the NCAA tournament. Keep your focus!"

They're not making any kind of run, the lead is 30.

89-59 and the Conf. U title! 18, 7, 5 for Jam Tell, 14 for PG Deon Jack. 3 players got 10 each and Greg Meed had 9, 6, 3. 10 TOs.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:55 am

3/12: Press Conference (Excerpts):

"Coach Last, you've certainly had a great season. Any guess as to how high you'll be seeded?"

"No idea. With a NET rating of 23 you'd think we'd be in pretty good shape, but being in the 2nd lowest conference will be a big factor."

"I see you've just been handed a telegram, Coach."

"Yes. We're #5 in Kansas City. I'm thrilled!"

"Who are you playing?"

"It says there's a play-in game. We play the winner of that. My A. D., Ted Baer, just left the room. I'm sure he's off to get us train tickets and to book us into a hotel in Kansas City. This is very exciting!"

"Coach, you were favored to win the conference but you did it in decisive fashion. Did your team exceed your expectations?"

"I really had high hopes and high expectations for this team. I knew we were strong up front with all those seniors, and I thought the guards would do well. All of that happened."

"What about your bench?"

"That was huge factor in our success. When we put Goss and Hank in we didn't lose a thing, and even some of the others, like Shay Mado really contributed. If we do anything in the NCAA, it will be because of strong play from at least 7 players, not just the starters."

3/14: We play Texas A & M, #12 seed, 18-13, Conference E, in the first round. They can score both inside and out but they only score 1.8 more than they give up. They don't rebound well. They haven't played well against good teams, and they turn it over. On the other side, they've played much stronger teams than we have. Let's see what happens.

3/16: We've been in Kansas City for a couple of days and got to practice on the court where we'll play this evening. Our scout will watch the other game in case we win. We know nothing about the St Johns or Ohio, the teams in the other game.

The hotel had decent beds and the food was good so we're ready!

Game time: This is the biggest arena we've played in all year and there's a mighty big crowd. We're not used to this much noise. It's exciting!

We come out on fire and score the first 13. Up 12 after 10 minutes. 46-28 at halftime. 10, 8 for Tell, 8 and 8 for Meed, 8, 2 for Mado. +13 RBs, +22 in the paint.

"You're doing great guys, but don't let up!"

They try to get back in it but so far we're keeping a double digit lead. Then we go on a run and we've iced it!

92-61. Great win! 15, 13, 4, 4 for Tell, 17, 5 for Lyne, 14, 6 for Mado, 12, 4 for Hank. Our bench was +30! +19 RBs, +28 in the paint.

Post Game Press Conference (Excerpts):

“Coach, you're the little school from nowhere and you just beat up on a big school from a big conference.”

“Don't underestimate us, we can play.”

“What about that bench?”

“It's been our big weapon all season long. 40 points! The thing is, when we sub these guys in we maintain the same level of play and most teams can't keep up with that.”

“You kind of caught a break in the other game. #13 seed Ohio beat #4 ST Johns. That can't hurt.”

“Well, they won so they must be good. Our Scout, Cris Cole, watched the game and took a lot of notes. The staff will probably be up most of the night working out our strategy.”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:14 am

3/17: #13 seed Ohio, 21-10, in the 2nd round. They've played 4 top 25 teams and beat 2 of them so they can play. The gamblers have it rated even Steven.

We're laughing because the newspaper said they're bench is better. I doubt it! We think we're better inside.

3/18: This sure is exciting. There's a big crowd here again.

We take an immediate lead, get it to 10. Tell is on fire. They make a late run and it's 40-41 at the half. We kind of fell apart a little. 14 for tell. Our bench is -10, which is unusual. 3 fouls for Meed and for their C.

"Okay. Pull yourselves together and get back on track. You know what you did to get here. Take a deep breath and go back to the kind of good basketball you've played all season. You can beat this team!"

We're trying to catch them. I max out the D which I have rarely had to do. They lead by 7 with 10 to go. Up 3 with 5 to play.

75-73! We made our free throws late! We're going to the round of 16, which is amazing!

22 for Jam Tell who has had a hot hand in both games. 11, 3, 4 for Hope, 11 for Goss. Bench was -9, but they did okay, all in all.

We led most of the way but they took the lead a few times late. We showed our grit and came back and then held on.

“The little team from nowhere did it again. Tell us about it, Coach.”

“We don't quit. They threw a scare into us when they led by 7 but my boys just kept playing hard and it turned out okay.”

“Two of your key players, Meed and Lyne, were in foul trouble for most of the 2nd half but they didn't foul out.”

“We work on playing with discipline every day in practice. We set scenarios with a man having four fouls and how should he play when that happens. Plus they're seniors so they have a lot of experience. And then there's our bench. We don't need to play a man who's tired when he's in foul trouble. We can spell him to let him catch his breath.”

“Nobody expected you to still be playing at this point. Next up is the #1 seed, Kentucky. Do you have a chance?”

“Well, we'll be big underdogs, for sure. My scout, Cris Cole, will have a report for us tomorrow and we'll plan our strategy. All I can promise is our best effort!”
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:28 pm

3/22: #1 seed, #4 ranked Kentucky, 26-7, in the round of 16. Their PG has back issues but he'll start. On paper we're in a lot of trouble. They're only 4-6 vs. ranked teams but they've played 10 of them! Their SF is an All American and they score a lot outside. Our bench is better and we're at least as good inside but their outside game will be hard to stop.

3/23: We're still in Kansas City. It was nice not to have to travel. There's a lot of excitement and my guys are showing some signs of stress.

We start fast but they catch up and take the lead. My guys are playing hard. 34-33 at the half. The bench is keeping us in it, +7, but we're holding our own with the starting lineup. -6 from the line. We're shooting 46.7% to 39.3%. They're 1-13 from behind the arc; if that changes we could be in trouble.

"Keep doing what you're doing!"

Down 4 with 10 to go. Down 7 with 5 to play.

69-82. They outlasted us and won the last 5 minutes big. But I couldn't be prouder of my team!
16, 6 for Meed, 13, 5 for Lyne, 14 for Jack, 12, 4 for Goss. Bench was +9. They would up beating us with their SF, 28, and C, 17. We couldn't stop those two.

“Quite the run, Coach Last.”

“I couldn't be prouder of my team. We gave Kentucky a good fight for most of the game. They're a terrific team and we never quit.”

“What beat you?”

“The #4 ranked team in the country! They have tremendously talented athletes. We never quit but they just had too much talent. They were a little bigger, a little quicker.”

“Next year?”

“Well, I'm not quite ready to think of that yet but we'll need to sign some of the recruits we're chasing or get some good transfers when that window opens. We're working hard trying to convince the recruits and we're doing our homework on potential transfers although that's pretty much guesswork at this point.”
Wayne23

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports