PNW Basketball

PNW Basketball

Postby xjackson8925 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:32 pm

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the forum but I did want to chronicle my franchise. I think these dynasty reports are incredibly cool and it is nice having a community that enjoys this type of stuff as much as I do. If even nothing else, making these reports should be a lot of fun for me.

Background: This is the fourth year of this save, the first three were in CBB21. I took more of a commissioner approach, customizing rosters and recruiting classes with some real and some made-up players. So I know all the rosters in this league very well, and for the first 3 years, I simulated and watched the league develop as a whole. However, I want to focus more on the team side while still paying attention to the league. So there is a mix of computer-generated players, real players I made, and fake players I made. I tweaked some ratings to make certain archetypes of players that I wanted to see play out.

My team: My coach, who has pretty good ratings, is taking over at Seattle University. I am from Seattle, I go to the University of Texas currently, but I want to go back to my roots as basketball in Seattle is huge but is struggling on a college level. Seattle University has been pretty good recently. They made the tournament the past two years and were very competitive in a good WAC conference. They are 17 prestige with a 149k budget.

My conference: In order to create a unique feel, I made a customer Pacific Northwest (PNW) conference. This was the old WCC with a lot of changes. Gonzaga and Portland stay in the WCC. St. Marys, BYU, San Francisco and San Diego go to the Pac 12 with UW, WSU, Oregon and Oregon State coming into the PNW. Pacific and Loyola Marymount go to the Big Sky while Eastern Washington and Portland State enter the PNW. Santa Clara goes the WAC while Seattle U comes in. Finally, Boise State trades places with Pepperdine. This leaves in the conference: Gonzaga, Washington, Washington State, Seattle, Eastern Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Portland, Portland State and Boise State. A very regional but possibly competitive conference (47 prestige). Should be a 2-4 bid league annually.

Expectations and goals: We want to be more competitive than Eastern, Portland and Portland State annually. Optimistically, we want to be competing with Oregon State, Boise State and possibly the two Washington schools. This will be hard but this team isn't that far off.

Currently: We are currently in the transfer portal with 3 open scholarships. We are looking for a starting backcourt and some wing depth. I will give a team rundown and then get right into transfer portal recruiting. The timeline of this save will go pretty slow, but it will be very in-depth. I really appreciate you guys following!
xjackson8925

Re: PNW Basketball

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:42 pm

Welcome! I look forward to watching this develop!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Team Preview

Postby xjackson8925 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:04 pm

Here is a quick summary of our returning players before we start recruiting:

Returners that played last year:
6-8 JR C Ryan Ballard: Started every game last year at Center and averaged 12.7 PPG and 8.5 RPG. Shot 63.8% from the field. Was a 1st Team all WAC selection. A little undersized but very skilled in the low block area. I expect that efficiency to possibly drop a little this year with more usage and upgrades in competition. The offense will run through him.
6-8 SO F Lane Crystal: 11.5 PPG and 6.7 PPG out of that wing spot. Shot 51.4% from the field and 41.4% from 3. Was the WAC defensive player of the year and a 2nd teamer. Will play the 3 most likely this year with the ability to play at the 4 spot. Probably our only professional prospect on the roster.
6-8 SO F Chezley Ivory: Started every game last year, was a versatile defender but contributed little offensively (2.4 PPG on 41.5% shooting). He will have to compete to get his starting spot back as there is a logjam at the Wing position.
6-9 SO C Hayden Krueger: 6th man on last year's team averaged 7.1 PPG on 55% shooting (34.5% from deep). His development will be key as he is preferred option at the 4 spot over Ivory.
6-1 SR G Justin Crispin: Averaged 6.1 PPG, 2.2 APG and 3.6 RPG off the bench last year. Only shot 38.2% from the field and 32.4% from 3. He will compete with the transfers to start in the backcourt.

Other returners:
6-10 SR F Sam Henry: Walk-on in a position with a lot of depth.
6-6 JR F Jace Hill: Athletic walk-on that has a chance to possibly contribute scarce bench minutes.
6-9 JR C Stephan Krasse: Has not found his footing yet. Doubtful to see much meaningful playing time.
6-2 JR G DJ Morris: 3-star combo guard that hasn't figured it all out yet. Got recruited over this past cycle and presumably in the portal. Thin at guard so might get some PT, though.

Freshman:
6-2 G Luke Forsythe: Highest rated player in the class (878). Has a mature handle and can create his own shot. He needs to work on playing within an offense, though. Will see playing time this year.
6-6 F Justin Brimm: Plays like a 4 but is a bit undersized. His shot is present but nothing special. Could be a contributor in year 2/3.
6-9 C Ray Wilkes Not sure why the previous regime took this guy. Red shirt candidate with a low ceiling.

Losses:
This team did lose long time starting PG Brad Romano in the offseason and SO SG Imari Farber. Romano was a perennial All-WAC player and Farber was an erratic, yet promising young playmaker.

Our projected lineup right now would be DJ Morris, Justin Crispin, Lane Crystal, Hayden Krueger, Ryan Ballard. Luke Forsythe and Chez Ivory will be the first two off the bench. We will be looking for 1 maybe 2 starting guards and some depth at the 3 position.
xjackson8925

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:40 pm

Looks like you may be weak at guard.
Wayne23

Portal Session 1

Postby xjackson8925 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:44 pm

Looking at our options in the portal, we did not have much but we were very aggressive sending out two offers and contacting about 10 more. I'll break down our offers and then who else we contacted.

Offers:
Antuan Henderson 6-6 SR SF Army: This was the #1 player on my board despite not being a guard. I offered him because I believe he would be the third best player on our team and can easily play the 2 guard position next year. He averaged 11.2 PPG last year and shot 39% from 3. He also had the highest PER on my board. We are in his top 5 and landing his commitment would be great for this team.
Omar Aygar 6-0 SR PG SE Louisiana: We are only in his top 10 but this was the top PG on the board. He was efficient on 9.7 PPG last year and has been a 3 year starter for SE Lousiana. He is small even at 6 ft but does have a good handle and will force defenders to go over a pick with his shooting. Will upgrade a level of competition but can be a serviceable player for this team.

Contacts:
6-2 JR PG Trevor Campbell Army: Henderson's teammate was a serviceable player last year with room to grow. Is the best PG that has us in his top 5.
6-3 SO PG Andy Bender No. Kentucky: Averaged 6.6 PPG for the Norse last year. Top 5
6-2 JR PG Miroslav Gosnjak St. Peters: Not a huge fan but the crafty lefty would again be an upgrade over DJ Morris. Top 5
6-5 SO SG Louis Mott High Point: Averaged 12.4 PPG at High Point last year. Looking for a PG but Mott is definitely a take for us. Top 5
6-7 SO SF John Lowe High Point: Played a little less than Mott at HPU but showed promise in his freshman season. Enough to warrant some interest. Top 5
6-8 SO SF Alex Rogers Norfolk State: Was a mature defender in his first year at Norfolk State. A type of player that could really be a good contributor in year 2/3 with us. Top 5
6-8 SR SF Jim Hall Fullerton: Averaged 6.4 PPG last year and was better at defense than offense. Top 10
6-8 SO SF Shabazz Bannister Loyola (MD): Showed lots of promise at Loyola last year as a freshman. Bright future. Top 10
6-7 JR SF Scott Willis New Orleans: Two-time transfer looking for a new home. Averaged 7.2 PPG at New Orleans last year and could find some PT on our team. Top 10
6-7 SO SF Alan Goss Kansas City: Probably my #2 wing behind Henderson. Was incredibly efficient as a freshman starter last year in the Summit League. Only in his top 10 but an offer could come in the coming sessions. Top 10

I am interested to see how we progress here. The board was a little better at wing than guard but we do need a guard a lot more leading to a desperation offer to Aygar. Campbell, Mott and Goss are the next 3 offers but will offer any of these guards if Aygar/Campbell go elsewhere.
xjackson8925

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:59 pm

Great start. Love the way you created a new PNW Conference. Some big prestige differences so that should make things interesting.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Transfer Session 2

Postby xjackson8925 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:33 pm

COMMITMENT!!! Antuan Henderson has committed to Seattle U. Great pickup for us and will immediately slot in next to Crystal on the Wing. The 6'6 SF will play 2 and 3 for us this year.

Staff's take: Henderson was a definite take even as a SR and at the Wing position. He is a top-level 3pt shooter and his height (6'6) and positional versatility give us a lot of lineup combinations. He and Crystal slot in together well, both 6'6+ and can shoot at around 40% from deep. We still need some guard depth but having Henderson in the fold makes us feel better about our perimeter offense going into 2023.

Other news:
Seattle U has climbed into Omar Aygar's top spot. He has not committed but we are looking good for the Lousiana guard.
Andy Bender has passed Trevor Campbell on our board as the #2 PG. Bender has higher upside going forward and could still be a take if Aygar commits.
The staff is really high on John Lowe, the 6'7 SO SF as a developmental prospect. We believe he is looking for PT guarantees, though.
Louis Mott could receive an offer any day now. The 6'5 SO SG is viewed as someone that can challenge Forsythe and Morris for guard minutes while being the best long-term prospect of the 3.
With 2 scholarships left, the staff has done some reaching out to new PG targets outside of initial interests. They are not sure if anything is to materialize but they are looking for young contributors as even if they get Aygar, he is a SR. The staff wants to secure Aygar and then take their time finding the best possible player to round out the transfer class.
xjackson8925

Transfer Portal Session #3

Postby xjackson8925 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:01 am

Not much news to report. Still floating out some interest to some bigger Fish but no bites so far. Omar Aygar is still the top player on the board and the consensus is that while he is no Brad Romano, he would start at PG for the 2023-24 (this year) Seattle U Redhawks.

The latest intel around this program is that there is some split as to who the 3rd player in the transfer class could be. The 3 candidates I realistically see are Andy Bender, Jim Hill and Louis Mott. They believe Jim Hall is the best player but he projects as a 3/4 and there is a logjam there, he is also a senior and some believe they should go younger. Someone close to the Mott recruitment believes that if Seattle doesn't offer him soon, he will choose Eastern Illinois. Bender is looking over other options as well along with Seattle U. Both Mott and Bender will be sophomores. The difference is Bender plays PG and Mott plays more off the ball. Regardless, they will continue scouting and go into Transfer Session #4 hoping to have Aygar in the bag.
xjackson8925

Postby xjackson8925 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:40 am

Commitment!! Omar Aygar has committed to the Redhawks for the 2023 campaign. The Lake Charles product has started in all 3 of his years at SE Lousiana and has steadily improved. He will be surrounded by a lot of size and shooting this season in Seattle but will face some much better on-ball defenders. Again, the feeling around the program is that Aygar is clearly the best guard on the roster and can at least give the Redhawks a chance at 5-6th place in the PNW.

Some other news:
A source close to the situation believes that Seattle will end up offering Louis Mott. Mott will need to develop into a ball-handler, though.
Conference opponent, Eastern Washington picked up Seattle U transfer Imari Farber. This is a great get for the Eagles program, even though it could sting some Redhawk fans.
An offer is not believed to be extended to Jim Hall. The staff has slowed down contact with him.
While nothing big, as they continue to evaluate, many within the program continue to be impressed by SO SF Shabazz Bannister. His size/shooting potential is great and he is already a very advanced player in terms of mechanics.
Players have reported to campus for workouts and we were on hand for a few. Lane Crystal drew NBA looks in the off-season and his handle seems a lot more comfortable in light practice, he is every bit of 6'8. Justin Crispin has tweaked his form a bit, he is the first guard off the bench currently and is looking for an impressive senior campaign. Luke Forsythe is quick, his creation abilities might have been understated. Make no mistake, Forsythe is a baller and one that has a little ranking chip on his shoulder.

Starting lineup as of today: Aygar, Henderson, Crystal, Krueger, Ballard.
That lineup will compete offensively in the PNW but defensive horizontal quickness is called into question.
xjackson8925

Postby Vann_the_Red » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:23 pm

Love the setup and the detail! I'm eager to read more about Seattle!
Vann_the_Red

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports