The Marcus Dawson Story

Re: The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:52 am

March 21, 2022
University of Wyoming Basketball Coach Announcement News Conference

The conference room in the Arena Auditorium on the University of Wyoming campus is filled with media representatives from around the region and state. Emily Thompson, Athletic Director stands at the podium, flanked by an unknown individual and several other university officials.
Emily Thompson: Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you for being here today. I'm thrilled to announce that we have found our new head coach for the University of Wyoming men's basketball program, Marcus Dawson. Marcus brings a wealth of basketball knowledge and a successful coaching resume along with a passion for the game that aligns perfectly with our program's vision. Without further ado, let's welcome Coach Marcus Dawson.
Marcus Dawson: Thank you, Emily. I'm honored and excited to join the University of Wyoming. I'm looking forward to building on the great legacy of Kenny Sailors, Jim Brandenburg, Benny Dees, Fennis Dembo, Eric Leckner, Marcus Bailey, Josh Davis, and Larry Nance Jr. among others. I'm excited to get to work and meet each of the great student-athletes already here and get moving on recruiting new athletes to improve our program. It's been a whirlwind last six days for my beautiful wife, Sarah, and two children, Lily and Jake. My Hamilton High School team just wrapped up another successful season a week ago and then last week Tuesday I got a call from Emily Thompson that changed my life forever. We flew to Laramie on Saturday morning got a tour of the campus met with the hiring committee and Emily Thompson and had several meetings and interviews that concluded on Sunday afternoon. We had a chance to attend a church service and explore Laramie a little bit before getting a call late Sunday night from Emily offering me the job. My wife and I talked about it and slept on it and gave her an answer this morning and here we are. We still have a lot of loose ends to tie up, but I'm excited to get moving on rebuilding the Cowboys. I'll take a couple of questions.
Marlon Newsome K2News: Marcus, the hiring process seemed quite secretive until the announcement. How do you feel about the somewhat discreet nature of your hire?
Marcus: I understand the curiosity, but I'm not sure how much of a secret it was. I feel like there were a lot of rumors flying around I saw some stuff on X about Ryan Reynolds from Kentucky another high school coach from Iowa or Wisconsin and the head coach at Casper College. The university aimed to conduct a thorough search, and I respect their approach ensuring they found the right fit for the program. I'm honored to be chosen for this role and ready to focus on the team's future.
Ryan Mathews Laramie Boomerang: Marcus, while you've had remarkable success in high school coaching, there are concerns about your lack of direct collegiate experience. How do you plan to address this gap as you transition to coaching at this level?
Marcus: Absolutely, I understand the concern. If I'm being totally honest, I'm a little concerned myself, but I've played D1 basketball under the great Mark Few at Gonzaga, and I've coached hundreds of basketball games. Transitioning to the collegiate level brings new challenges, but my coaching principles remain constant. I've been diligently preparing for this leap, learning from seasoned coaches, and crafting strategies to adapt my coaching style to the collegiate arena. My focus will be on learning adapting, and giving my best to the Wyoming basketball program.
Thank you all, and Go Pokes!

March 21, 2022
@Cowboy Country--Welcome to Wyoming, Coach Dawson! Excited to see how our new head coach from the high school ranks will shape our Cowboys! #GoWyo #NewEra

@PokesPride--High school to the big time? Not entirely convinced, but it can't be any worse than the last regime. Let's see if Dawson can handle the pressure of D1 basketball. #WyomingBasketball #Skeptical.
Last edited by coachdubs on Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:42 pm

April 2, 2022
Coach Dawson's New Office at the University of Wyoming

Marcus sat at his desk reviewing his current roster waiting for his other three coaches to show up for a staff meeting. His mind wandered to the last few whirlwind weeks he and his family had been on. Marcus had traveled with Sarah and his kids back to Hamilton to meet with the school administration to resign and he wanted to say goodbye to his basketball team. It was agreed that Sarah and the kids would stay in Hamilton through the rest of the school year and get the house ready to sell and on the market, then they would join Marcus in Laramie in June.
Marcus had wasted no time immersing himself in his new environment. He hit the ground running, hiring a real estate agent to search for a new home for his family. He began establishing himself in the community as well. Above all, he delved into building relationships with his coaching staff and getting acquainted with the players on the current roster.
The Dawson family communicated daily, sharing updates about their respective journeys. Marcus provided descriptions of the neighborhoods he scouted, his coaching staff, and the players. Sarah juggled the responsibilities of wrapping up their life in Hamilton, ensuring a seamless transition for the family.
Coach Wicks snapped Marcus out of his thoughts and back to reality.
Sundance: Hey Coach Dawson, Ken and Marc are in the meeting room ready to go.
Marcus: Sundance, please stop calling me coach, call me Marcus, there's no need to be so formal, we're family here.
Sundance: You got it, Coach, er, Marcus.
Marcus: Let's get going with the meeting, we have lots to get done before recruiting opens in June.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:34 pm

April 2, 2022
Coaches Meeting: Roster Analysis and Recruiting Strategy

Attendees: Coach Marcus Dawson, Coach Ken DeWeese, Coach Sundance Wicks, and Coach Marc Rodgers

Marcus: Alright, gentlemen, let's dissect our current roster. I believe we've got a mix of talent and areas we need to fortify. Kenny Fox and Tevis Scott are showing promise at the point guards slot, while Germaine Fields and Brendan Moody offer athleticism and shooting skills.

Ken: Moody's versatility is a significant asset. His ball-handling and passing give us a dynamic edge. Sean Esherick's defensive prowess and leadership will be essential for our squad.

Sundance: Fields and Moody bring athleticism and shooting range that will be pivotal for our perimeter scoring. Marius Baxter's experience at small forward is invaluable.

Marcus: We've got solid shooters, but we're lacking a bit in the interior game. Paul Rivers and Robinson McFall hold down the center position, but we need depth there, although we could go with a smaller lineup more athletic lineup--that's something we'll have to consider with our recruiting moving forward.

Ken: Agreed. Clifton Tahid and Tom Billet have potential, but we need to beef up our inside presence. Kolin Robinson shows promise as a freshman, but it'll take time to develop his skills.

Sundance: Defensively, Esherick sets the tone. Fields and Moody's contributions on both ends of the floor can't be overlooked.

Marc: Absolutely, fellas. Moody's ball-handling and passing are top-notch. His vision on the court is critical for orchestrating plays.

Marcus: We've got our sharpshooters, but we need to balance our scoring and improve inside. So let's move to recruiting. I want to have a strong presence in our Wyoming, being the only Division I school in the state we need to keep the good athletes here at home, I know there are a few really solid Division I caliber athletes that come out of our high schools here, I'd also like to hit Montana hard as well as Idaho, Utah, and Colorado since they all are in close proximity to us. Then we can branch out and see where else we can try to build recruiting pipelines. Regardless of where our talent comes from, we need to do a much better job than #260 in the country that Coach Davis left us.

Ken: I'll focus on finding some solid post prospects we can recruit who can step in and contribute immediately, someone to complement Rivers and McFall.

Sundance: I'll look for recruits who possess defensive skills and inside scoring ability. We need a versatile player who can impact both sides of the floor.

Marcus: Fantastic! Moddy and Esherick will lead our backcourt but we've got to balance our scoring and strengthen our inside game. Let's find players who can elevate our team in multiple facets.

Ken: Got it. I'll start connecting with potential recruits who fit the profile. We're aiming to enhance our inside game while maintaining our outside threat.

Sundance: I'm on it. Looking for recruits who bring defensive intensity and inside scoring capabilities. We'll find players who'll complement our current roster.

Marcus: Perfect, let's aim for a balanced recruitment strategy to amplify our strengths and address our areas for growth. It's about finding players who'll strengthen our team dynamics, help to take our program to new heights and do it all the Cowboy Way.
coachdubs

Postby PointGuard » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:06 pm

Nice start!

(The above comment was not done by ChatGPT. :p )

(Otherwise I'm sure the comment would have started with "Exceptionally well written set up. How DO you DO it?" :D )
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:15 pm

PointGuard wrote:Nice start!

(The above comment was not done by ChatGPT. :p )

(Otherwise I'm sure the comment would have started with "Exceptionally well written set up. How DO you DO it?" :D )

Thanks! I know how I want things to go, but I'm not nearly creative enough to come up with everything, enter AI to the rescue! :D. I'm excited to see how Marcus' career pans out, thanks for checking it out.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:23 pm

April 17, 2022
Easter Sunday with the Family at the Dawson Residence in Hamilton, Montana.

Marcus was able to get out of Laramie for a long weekend to go back to Hamilton and spend time with Sarah, Lily, and Jake. He was able to go visit some of his former co-workers and see how spring sports for the Broncs was shaping up. The weather had certainly turned for the better with highs in the mid-60s with full sun, and all the snow from the winter long gone.
Marcus was able to attend church with his family for the first time in a month at Hamilton Community Church. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that his parents had made the trip from Kalispell and Sarah's parents had made the trip from Minneapolis. They were able to enjoy what would be their last family meal at the place they had called home for the last 12 years. Sarah had done an outstanding job preparing the house to be sold and there were already several people interested in purchasing the house once it officially hit the market in the middle of May.
Rebecca Dawson: What a wonderful service today!
Robert Dawson: Indeed, it was quite moving.
Carol Martin (Sarah's mom): How are the preparations for the move coming along?
Marcus: Busy, but progressing well enough. I've started in Laramie, getting familiar with the team and looking for a home.
Thomas Martin (Sarah's dad): Quite the transition ahead.
Sarah: Yes, it's exciting and a little overwhelming at times.
Rebecca: You two will adjust amazingly well. Laramie will be great for you both as well as Lilly and Jake. I'll bet they're very excited about this.
Robert: How's the team shaping up?
Marcus: We have some potential, but we've got gaps to fill. Working with my assistants Ken, Sundance, and Marc to develop our recruiting and player development strategies. Working on getting a season practice plan put together, it's way different than high school where you only have a couple of weeks to prep for your first game. In college, you have a full month to get things installed and ready to go not to mention off-season workouts and weight training.
Robert: I remember when I made the transition from high school to Miles City and JUCO and that was a huge transition. I don't know how you're going to manage everything, but you continue to amaze me with your drive and organization, certainly a chip off the old block. [laughter]
Marcus: Thanks, dad. That means a lot coming from you. A lot of what I know and how I coach I learned from you.
Carol: It's a big step, but we're proud of you both.
Sarah: Thank you, your support means everything to us.
Thomas: Remember, we're here to help you through this transition.
Marcus: We're grateful for the support.
Rebecca: You're both so resilient. We're only a phone call away. We know you'll do well and we can't wait to see you coach your first college game. Do you know when that will be?
Marcus: Thanks, Mom. Your encouragement means everything to us. We'll keep you updated every step of the way. Our schedule won't be released until later in the summer, as soon as I know, I'll make sure to get you all tickets.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:06 pm

April 19, 2022
To: Marcus Dawson <dawson.marcus@uniwyomingathletics.com>
Subject: Wyoming Basketball Potential 2023 Recruits

Hi Marcus,
I hope things are going well and you enjoyed your Easter break with your family. As discussed, I've compiled an initial list of potential recruits for the class of 2023, considering our team's needs. Remember we have four scholarships for this cycle. Here's the breakdown:
Priority Recruits
1. Cade Harris--Power Forward Dubois, Wyoming 4 Star Recruit
2. James Miles--Center Ethete, Wyoming 3 Star Recruit
3. Dante Lloyd--Point Guard Fairfield, Montana 3 Star Recruit
4. Larry Johnson--Point Guard Darby, Montana 3 Star Recruit
5. Perry Bryant--Power Forward Preston, Idaho 3 Star Recruit

Secondary Recruits
1. Rod Tarver--Shooting Guard Green Leaf, Idaho 2 Star Recruit
2. Will Walker--Power Forward Dexter, New Mexico 2 Star Recruit
3. Justin Clark--Point Guard Twin Falls, Idaho 2 Star Recruit
4. Jermain DeManby--Power Forward Hanna, Wyoming 1 Star
5. Matt Green--Shooting Guard Kapaa, Hawaii 1 Star

I recommend focusing our efforts on securing Dante Lloyd and James Miles due to their strong rankings and alignment with our team's needs. They could significantly bolster our lineup. We should at least try to go after in-state recruit Cade Harris. He may be a bit out of our range, he is the highest rated recruit in the state, but he fits a need and is an in-state product.

Thanks,
Ken DeWeese
Assistant Coach, Wyoming Basketball
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:39 pm

May 1, 2022
Facilities Budget
Meeting with Emily Thompson

Emily Thompson: Good morning, Marcus. Today, I wanted to discuss our yearly basketball budget.

Marcus: Morning, Emily. Absolutely, let's dive into it.

Emily: Our starting budget this year is $195,000. This sounds like a decent amount but compared to some of the other schools in our conference and around the country it really isn't. This is one of the things I'm working with our board of regents to increase to help us compete at a higher level. The assistant pay will take a significant portion, around $138,000.

Marcus: Understood. That's a crucial part of our budgetary allocation.

Emily: We've got some flexibility with the facilities budget. We have some earmarked money that we would normally spend in each area--training, amenities, wellness. But ultimately the amount budgeted is up to you and how you want to appropriate the money. Currently, we have $7830 set for training, $7000 for amenities, and $8080 for wellness facilities. Any thoughts on adjusting these figures?

Marcus: I'd propose keeping these relatively stable. However, in the future, we might need a slight increase in training facilities to enhance player development.

Emily: Noted. Now, for recruiting, we typically allocate $15,000-$30,000 annually. There is a lot that goes into this. For example, depending on the number of open scholarships you have will go a long way toward deciding how much you need. The more scholarships you have the more money you are likely to need. There are recruit camps around the country you can attend to see the top recruits nationally and regionally; these cost money for travel and attendance. How are you thinking of managing this?

Marcus: It depends on our recruitment needs, as you mentioned. I'd like to aim for the higher end this year just to make sure we have enough money. We've identified some promising prospects that may require us to spend a little more time on the road and getting them to Laramie for visits to seal the deal.

Emily: Sounds reasonable. A higher recruitment budget could help us secure some better talent.

Marcus: Absolutely, it's pivotal for our programs' growth and competitiveness.

Emily: Overall, it seems we're on the same page. We'll adjust the training facilities slightly and aim for the higher end of the recruiting budget. I'll make the necessary adjustments and get the updated figures to you.

Marcus: Great. Thanks, Emily. It's crucial to make the most of these resources to elevate our program.

Emily: Agreed. Let's keep working together to ensure our basketball program thrives.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:08 pm

July 9, 2022
Embassy Suites, Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas Review Recruit Camp

Marcus had spent the last three days scouting prospects at the prestigious Las Vegas Review Camp. It was exhausting and exciting at the same time. He had the opportunity to bring Sarah, Lily, and Jake with him as a mini-vacation, although they hadn't seen a lot of each other. Between the clinic and making connections with other coaches, it was a whirlwind. He even had a chance to connect with his college coach Mark Few from Gonzaga for a few minutes.
[Flashback to earlier in the day]

Mark Few: Marcus, congratulations on the Wyoming gig! I saw the news and meant to get in touch with you. Great move.

Marcus: Thanks, Coach Few! It's a big step, but I'm excited about the opportunity. It's been a while since we last talked. I think it must've been at the Nike Coaches Clinic in Seattle seven or eight years ago.

Mark: That sounds about right. You'll do wonders there, Marcus. You're coaching style and dedication will make a real impact.

Marcus: Your support means a lot, Coach. It's a thrilling and exhausting challenge.

Mark: Wyoming's got potential, and so do you. I'm confident that you'll elevate that program to new heights. In fact, we should talk in a year two to set up a home-and-home series between our programs.

Marcus: That would be amazing to compete on the same floor as you. I'll let our AD know to get in touch with you guys in the near future.

Mark: Trust your instincts, Marcus. You've got what it takes to succeed at the level. And if you ever need anything don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Marcus: Thanks Coach, I appreciate your support and encouragement. I may take you up on that offer. It was really good talking to you, good luck this season.

Mark: It was good to see you as well and good luck with the Cowboys. We'll talk later.

It was great for Marcus to catch up with his college coach if only for a few moments. Their conversation left him with confidence that he could turn the Wyoming program around and that he could be a bonified Division I head coach.

Walking down the hall to his family's suit Marcus was exhausted but wanted to spend some quality time with his wife and kids to find out how their weekend had been.

Marcus: Hey how was your weekend? What'd you guys get to do while I was doing basketball stuff?

Sarah: It was so much fun! We explored the Strip, went to the Bellagio Fountains, and visited the Neon Museum.

Lily: Mom took us to the Shark Reef Aquarium. It was so cool!

Jake: Yeah, and we even got to ride the roller coaster at New York-New York!

Marcus: That sounds amazing! I wish I could've joined you. Maybe next time, you know, we'll be coming back to Vegas for the Mountain West Tournament in March.

Sarah: We missed having you around, but we knew this was important. Las Vegas has so much to see and do.

Lily: Dad, we even went to see a magic show! It was awesome!

Jake: And we got to watch this really cool street performance with acrobats!

Marcus: Wow, you guys did a lot! I'm glad you had fun while I was at camp.

Sarah: It was fun. How was your camp?

Marcus: It was intense but productive. I saw some great talent and met some amazing coaches. I even reconnected with Coach Few.

Lily: Dad, did you see any famous players?

Marcus: Maybe, they're not famous yet, but they're so good now that they might be famous in a few years.

Jake: When's the next time we can come with you?

Marcus: You'll be able to come with me to some of our road games as school allows. We'll plan something fun together for sure though.

As the conversation wound down, Marcus got up to tuck the kids into bed. I was feeling happy that his family had an enjoyable weekend despite his absence at the basketball clinic.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:46 pm

July 13, 2022

@CowboyCountry-- Big News! James Mills, Cade Harris, and Larry Johnson are set to visit Laramie this weekend! Can't wait to see these talented prospects checking out the Pokes' home court. #GoPokes #RecruitVisit #WyomingBasketball

@Laradise--Big things happening! The top prospect in Wyoming, 4* recruit Cade Harris, is making his way to Laradise this weekend! Let's show him our Cowboy spirit and the incredible potential here in Laradise. #WyomingPride #FutureStar #RecruitVisit
coachdubs

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports