The Marcus Dawson Story

The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:05 pm

March 5, 2022
MSU Fieldhouse Bozeman, MT
After Hamilton High lost in the Class A State Finals.

Marcus Dawson tries to put the disappointment in his own mind to the side as he prepares to console his team after just falling short of back-to-back state titles.
Ok fellas, gather around. I know tonight didn't go the way we planned or hoped for. We gave it our all out there, and I couldn't be prouder of every single one of you. I see the disappointment in your faces and trust me, I feel it too. I know you're hurting inside; losing stings, especially after experiencing the thrill of winning it all last year. But let me remind you, champions aren't defined solely by their wins; they're defined by how they respond to setbacks and challenges.
This season has been a testament to our resilience, our teamwork, and our dedication. We've faced adversity, tough opponents, injuries, and countless obstacles, yet we've persisted, fought hard, and made it all the way to the state championship once again. That's no small feat.
Remember the countless hours of practice, the early mornings, the late nights, the drills, the sweat, and the sacrifices. That effort, that commitment, it doesn't vanish because of one tough loss. It's what defines us as a team, and as individuals, and it's what will carry us forward.
Tonight it's okay to feel disappointed. It's okay to let this sink in. But tomorrow, and the day after that, we get back up. We use this feeling as fuel, as motivation to push harder, to train smarter, to become even better versions of ourselves both on and off the court.
Hold your heads high. Stand tall because you've shown true sportsmanship, character, and heart throughout this journey. This loss doesn't define us. It's just one chapter in our story--a story that's far from over.
Remember, champions aren't made in the moment of triumph; they're revealed in how they respond to adversity. Mark my words, this group of young men--this team, we're champions through and through. I believe in each and every one of you. Let's hold our heads high, learn from this, and come back stronger. We'll be back next year, and we'll be unstoppable.
Broncs on three. ONE, TWO, THREE....BRONCS!!!!

Chat GPT was used to help create this story--the fictional people and many of the conversations.
Last edited by coachdubs on Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachdubs

Re: The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:29 pm

March 8, 2022
Las Vegas, Nevada
Mountain West Conference Tournament First Round

Wyoming head coach Benjamin Davis sat in the locker room office, reeling from another defeat at the hands of the Air Force Academy; this time in the first round of the Mountain West Conference Tournament. The disappointment weighed heavily on him, questioning his coaching decisions and feeling the sting of a season that hadn't lived up to expectations. Long gone was Davis' second season on the high plains of Laramie guiding the Cowboys to the conference championship game, losing by three in overtime to San Diego State, the perennial power in the conference. The Cowboys earned an at-large birth to the NCAA tournament that season receiving a 12-seed and facing fellow 12-seed St. Louis in Dayton, OH in one of four play-in games. That season was the high point for Davis' Cowboys, he needed to find a way to get back to that success. Sadly, the last three seasons had resulted in a grand total of eight wins.
Doubt was creeping in, but also determination. Amidst the frustration, he saw this loss as a catalyst for change. He was already planning, analyzing the team's strengths and weaknesses, and envisioning a stronger unit for the next season. He knew this setback wasn't the end.....his cell phone ringing interrupted his thought process.
Glancing down at the screen, seeing the name Emily Thompson- Director of Athletics UW.
Benjamin: Hello, Emily.
Emily: Hi, Ben. I wish this call was under better circumstances. I've been following the tournament and I saw the game this afternoon.
Benjamin: I understand. It was a tough game, I was just reflecting on the game when you called.
Emily: I need us to sit down and talk when you're back in Laramie. The season didn't turn out as we hoped, and we need to discuss our plans moving forward.
Benjamin: Of course. I anticipated this conversation.
Emily: It's not an easy decision, Ben, but we have to assess where we stand. Let's talk when you're back and we'll come to a decision.
Benjamin: I'll be back in Laramie on Monday.
Emily: Have a safe trip.
The call ends, leaving Benjamin Davis with a mix of determination and concern, knowing that tough decisions lay ahead but also resolved to find a way to steer the team back on course.
Chat GPT was used to help create this story--the fictional people and many of the conversations.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:13 pm

Laramie Boomerang
March 14, 2022

University of Wyoming Parts Ways with Men's Basketball Coach, Begins Search for New Leadership
Ryan Mathews

Laramie, WY--After five seasons at the helm, Head Coach Benjamin Davis bids farewell to the University of Wyoming's men's basketball program, marking a pivotal moment for the team's trajectory.
Athletic Director Emily Thompson announced the decision to part ways with Coach Davis, emphasizing the team's performance, which fell well below the university's standards; reflected in his record of 44 wins and 136 losses during his tenure and not having a winning season since his second season. In that second season though, Davis guided the Pokes to 20 wins and an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament as a 12-seed.
"While we value Coach Davis' dedication, the recent performance of the team necessitated a change in leadership. In conversations with Coach Davis since the end of the season, it was clear that there was a difference of opinion in the direction of the team," stated Thompson.
The University of Wyoming Athletics Department has initiated a nationwide search for a new head coach to revitalize the men's program. The search will focus on finding a leader who embodies the university's values and is poised to elevate the team's performance. The departure of Coach Davis signals a new era for the men's basketball program in Laramie, promising a fresh direction under incoming leadership. The athletics department appreciates Coach Davis' efforts and looks forward to the program's future.

List of candidates this reporter believes should be on Emily Thompson's short list:
Ryan Reynolds--Associate Head Coach, University of Kentucky
This may be a stretch, but he is a highly regarded assistant coach known for player development and recruiting skills. His experience at a powerhouse program like Kentucky, coupled with his knack for recruiting top talent, makes him a promising candidate for a head coaching role. The only drawback is he's being groomed to take over for John Calipari.
Michael Foster--Head Coach, Adams State University (Division II)
This is a more likely candidate. Foster has a track record of transforming programs guiding Adams State to consecutive deep runs in the Division II NCAA tournament. His emphasis on teamwork, strong defensive strategies, and ability to connect with players could bring a fresh perspective to Wyoming's program.
Nathan Parker--Head Coach, Casper College (JUCO)
Has led the Thunderbirds to four consecutive Region IX championships and done well nationally having the Thunderbirds ranked nationally on a consistent basis. His commitment to a fast-paced, dynamic style of play has earned praise and could inject new energy into Wyoming's basketball program.
Tyler Chen--Assistant Coach, Duke University
Another long shot, but why not shoot for the moon? Duke is another of the NCAA's powerhouse teams. He's been a long-time assistant at Duke dating back to the Mike Krzyzewski days and knows what it takes to build a winning program.
Matthew Johnson--Assistant Coach, University of Arizona
This isn't as much of a longshot as he does have ties to the University of Wyoming. His brother played in Laramie in the early 2000s playing for then-coach Larry Shyatt. His coaching philosophy emphasized discipline, strategic adaptability, and a strong focus on fundamentals. He is familiar with recruiting in the western part of the country and could bring in some excellent talent to Laramie. His successful stint as an assistant at Arizona, where he contributed to the team's performance, showcases his potential to bring stability and growth to Wyoming's program.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:44 pm

Coach Dawson's Classroom @ Hamilton High School
March 15, 2022

Marcus sat at his desk grading papers and putting the finishing touches on his lesson plans for the next day of classes. His mind was wandering as he reflected on the basketball season that had concluded on Saturday evening in Bozeman. It was another great season for the Broncs, they had earned yet another silver ball at the Montana Class A State Basketball Tournament, the sixth of Marcus' tenure at the high school in the rural community nestled in the Bitterroot Valley of southwest Montana. Had it really been eleven seasons as the head coach...
Marcus was jolted out of his train of thought by the ringing of his classroom phone.
Marcus: Hello this is Marcus.
Sandy the High School Secretary: Hi Marcus, there is a phone call for you, do you have time to take it before leaving for the evening?
Marcus: Who is it?
Sandy: Emily Thompson from the University of Wyoming. I'm not sure what she wants.
Marcus: Thanks, Sandy. I can take it, go ahead and patch her through.

Marcus: Hello, this is Marcus.
Emily Thompson: Hi Marcus, this is Emily Thompson, Athletic Director at the University of Wyoming. How are you doing?
Marcus: I'm doing well, thank you. How about you?
Emily: I'm good, thank you. Marcus, I wanted to reach out because we've been following your coaching career at Hamilton High School, and I must say, your achievements have been remarkable.
Marcus: Thank you so much, I appreciate that.
Emily: I don't know if you're aware, but we have an opening for the head men's basketball coach position here in Laramie, and your name has come up a few times as someone we should consider. Your success at Hamilton High has caught some significant attention.
Marcus: That's very flattering to hear. Wyoming's program has a great history, and I've always admired it. In fact, I recall playing in Laramie once while I was playing at Gonzaga. the Arena Auditorium is a difficult place to play for an opposing team.
Emily: Would you be interested in discussing the opportunity further? We'd love to have you visit the campus and meet with us to explore this opportunity.
Marcus: Really? Me? I mean, absolutely! I'm certainly interested in at least exploring the opportunity. I've always dreamed of coaching at the collegiate level, and Wyoming would be an incredible opportunity. I would like a little time to discuss this with my wife. It's a big decision for us and I want to make sure we're all on the same page.
Emily: Completely understandable. Family considerations are crucial. Would 24 hours be enough time to discuss this with your family? We'd like to fly you and your family to Laramie this weekend to tour the campus and meet with us.
Marcus: Yes, I'll talk to my wife tonight and get back in touch with you tomorrow after my classes.
Emily: Sounds very good. We're excited about the possibility of having someone like you lead our program. I look forward to hearing back from you tomorrow.
Marcus: Thank you, we'll talk tomorrow.
[both hang up]

Holy cow! This could be an incredible opportunity, but it's definitely a decision we need to make as a family.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:07 am

The Dawson Residence
March 15, 2022

Sarah: Earth to Marcus, Earth to Marcus
Lily: Dad you're spacing out.
Jake: Yeah dad your spacing out.
[both giggle]
Marcus: Sorry, I have a lot on my mind this evening. Kids, can you clear the table and get the kitchen cleaned up while your mom and I go into the living room to talk?
Lily and Jake: Awe dad, do we have to?
Sarah: Yes, you two need to then you can go downstairs and play.

Sarah: What's on your mind?
Marcus: I received a phone call this afternoon from the University of Wyoming.
Sarah: The University of Wyoming? What did they want?
Marcus: It was their AD, she wanted to know if I'd be interested in interviewing for their vacant men's basketball head coaching position.
Sarah: Really?! That's amazing! This is something that you've always wanted to do; be a college basketball coach. How do you feel about it?
Marcus: I'm excited, but also a little apprehensive. It's a huge decision that we shouldn't take lightly. If I decided to pursue it and I got the job it would bring a lot of changes for us and the children. What do you think?
Sarah: It's a great opportunity, no doubt. But it is a big step, especially considering the logistics of moving and the kids' schooling.
Marcus: I agree, they want to fly the family to Laramie this weekend to tour the campus and meet with the AD and the hiring committee. Emily wanted to know if we could make a decision on that for her tomorrow afternoon.
Sarah: It would be nice to get away for a couple of days and I don't think it would hurt to at least go see what it is all about.
Marcus: Yeah, and it's not like I'm their number one candidate, I'm sure they have four or five other candidates. I'm sure this is just a favor for one of their donors, I'm sure I don't really have a chance at the job.
Sarah: Why do you doubt they'd offer you the job?
Marcus: We'll I'm pretty young, just 34 years old; I have zero college coaching experience. I honestly don't have a clue how to run a college program, let alone build one, which is what needs to be done in Laramie judging by the results of the last few seasons
Sarah: Don't sell yourself short. You know more than you think, growing up with a dad who was a very good high school basketball coach who taught you a lot of what you know and even coached and Miles City Community College for a few years after your sister graduated high school; he would be a great resource. Why don't you call the AD tomorrow and tell her that we'll be there this weekend and we'll see what happens?
Marcus: Okay, I'll call tomorrow and get it all set up.
This is going to be a wild ride, I'm glad I get to do it with Sarah by my side.

Chat GPT was used to help create this story--most of the characters and parts of the conversations.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:17 am

March 16, 2022
X
@CowboyCountry--Exciting buzz in Cowboy Country! Rumor has it that Coach Adam Turner, renowned for molding future basketball stars at River Valley High, is headed to Laramie for a campus visit. Could he be the game-changer Wyoming's been waiting for? Stay tuned for updates! #GoCowboys #FutureIsBright
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:40 am

March 18, 2022
@CowboyCountry --Sources suggest that Nathan Parker, the powerhouse coach from Casper College, is in talks for the open coaching position in Laramie. His track record at Casper has us all intrigued! Could he be the one to lead the charge for the Cowboys? #GoCowboys #NewPossibilities
Last edited by coachdubs on Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:44 am

March 19, 2022

@CowboyCountry -- Rumor mill spinning in @CowboyCountry! Whispers suggest a flight from Kentucky just landed in Denver, and word is a member of the Wyoming Athletic Department is en route to pick up Ryan Reynolds. Is this the pivotal moment in the pursuit of our next coach? Stay tuned! #GoCowboys #NewChapter

March 19, 2022
@pokepride -- @CowboyCountry --Kentucky's in Atlanta for the Big Dance. Doubt Reynolds is making a pit stop in Laramie just yet! But hey, we're all in for surprises! #GoPokes #SpeculationGameStrong
Last edited by coachdubs on Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:57 am

Laramie Boomerang
Saturday, March 19, 2022

Coaching Hunt Intensifies: Reynolds, Parker, and Turner on Cowboy's Radar
Ryan Mathews

Laramie, WY-- Amidst a flurry of anticipation, the pursuit for the next head coach of the Wyoming Cowboys intensifies, with the university aiming to make a decisive announcement early next week. Speculation has heightened as three prominent figures--Ryan Reynolds, Nathan Parker and surprise candidate Adam Turner--emerge as frontrunners in the race to lead the Cowboys' basketball program.
Sources within the university, speaking on the condition of anonymity, reveal a desire to expedite the decision-making process. The goal: to have a new head coach in place before the end of next week, injecting fresh energy and direction into the team ahead of the forthcoming season.
Ryan Reynolds, currently an Associate Head Coach at the prestigious University of Kentucky, has garnered substantial attention from the Wyoming Athletic Department. While neither party has confirmed any formal discussions, whispers of Reynolds potentially interviewing for the vacant coaching position have set the rumor mill ablaze.
Meanwhile, Nathan Parker, celebrated for his coaching prowess at Casper College, stands as a formidable contender. Known for his success in developing talent at the junior college level, Parker's name has resonated strongly with the university's coaching search committee.
In a surprising turn, Adam Turner, head coach at River Valley High School in Wisconsin, has entered the conversation. Turner's ability to nurture young talent and his high school achievements have sparked curiosity despite being seen as a less conventional choice for the collegiate level.
The university's insistence on a swift resolution to the coaching saga underscores the urgency to steer the basketball program onto a new trajectory. As the countdown begins towards the early next week target for an announcement, Wyoming fans eagerly await news that could define the team's future. The impending decision looms large, poised to usher in a new era for the Cowboys in Laramie.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:25 am

March 21, 2022

@CowboyCountry-- The best-kept secret in @CowboyCountry: The hire is in! Rumors swirl, anticipation peaks, but lips are sealed tighter than a game-winning play. The suspense is killing us! Who's the next leader of the Pokes? Stay tuned, Cowboys! #GoCowboys #MysteryCoach

March 21, 2022
@Laradise--What's cookin' in Laramie? Word on the street is a Montana high school coaching sensation spotted in our neck of the woods. Who could it be? The mystery thickens! Announcement coming this afternoon. #GoPokes #CuriousHuddle
coachdubs

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports