The Marcus Dawson Story

Re: The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:52 pm

July 16, 2022

@CadeHarrisHoops--Thrilled to be in Laramie this weekend! Checking out the amazing vibe here @UWYO and feeling the #CowboySpirit. Excited to explore the possibilities! #GoPokes #FutureCowboy #RecruitVisit

@PokePride--Welcome to Laramie @CadeHarrisHoops! Hope you're feeling the energy of Laradise! Get ready for an awesome time, exploring the best of #WyomingBasketball. Let's make this visit unforgettable! #GoPokes #RecruitVisit

@JMillsBallin--Just arrived in Laramie! Pumped to explore @UWYO and soak up that #CowboySpirit this weekend. Ready to see what the future holds! #GoPokes #RecruitVisit
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:58 pm

July 28, 2022
Conference Call Between the Wyoming Coaching Staff to Discuss Prospect Evaluations
Marcus: Hey, fellas. How have the prospects been looking in person?
Ken: Been checking out some impressive point guards in Utah and Arizona. Ray Woollum in Arizona showed great court vision and control.
Sundance: I scouted some forwards in Nevada and California. Larry Johnson form California has solid defensive instincts, and Will Walker in Nevada showed versatility.
Marc: I've been focusing on potential. Jerod Malone in Idaho has the raw talent to develop into a solid center with the right coaching.
Marcus: Good stuff guys. In New Mexico, I saw a couple of guards--Kenny Smith and Justin Clark. Smith has impressive ball handling, while Clark's defense stood out.
Ken: Which recruits stood out the most from our evaluations?
Marcus: I'd say Ray Woollum and Kenny Smith have immediate potential. Their skills could really fit our system.
Sundance: Larry Johnson from California has excellent defensive instincts, something we could use.
Marc: Jarod Malone needs some work, but his upside is tremendous if we invest in his development.
Ken: These prospects sound promising. Let's compile their details for a thorough evaluation when we get back next week, we can discuss their fit for the team and compile a finalized list of prospects we want to go after.
Marcus: Agreed. We'll need to consider their compatibility with our team's immediate needs and long-term vision.
Sundance: I'm excited to dive deeper into their profiles and how they might gel within our team dynamics.
Marcus: Let's meet early next week and get working on compiling our contact list and setting a recruiting plan.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:02 am

July 30, 2022
@PBryant_Hoops--Excited to be in Laramie! Ready to experience @UWYO and dive into the #CowboyCulture this weekend. Let's explore the future together! #GoPokes #RecruitVisit

@CowboyCountry--Wow, the future looks bright for @UWHoops! With talents like @PBryant_Hooops considering Wyoming, we're pumped for what's ahead! #GoPokes #RecruitVisit #WyomingBasketball
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:15 am

September 7, 2022
Coach Dawson's Office at the University of Wyoming

As the campus brimmed with life, students returning to their routines, Marcus felt the reality of the upcoming season setting in. The air buzzed with an electric energy as fall approached, bringing a heightened sense of anticipation.
With practice looming just a few weeks away, the urgency of building his roster for the future intensified. The incoming recruits and potential prospects he'd scouted felt more than just names on a list now--each one a potential piece in the puzzle he was assembling.
The energy around campus, the chatter about the upcoming season, it all signaled that basketball was back in the spotlight. It fueled Marcus' determination to make an impact in his inaugural season as head coach.
Now as the contact period approached in just a few days Marcus would be invited into recruits' homes to sell himself and his program to not only the prospect but to the parents, that he could take care of them and have their best interests at heart. These next few weeks would be critical to nail down verbal commitments from prospects so they could sign in the earlier signing period in November.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:34 am

September 10, 2022
Dubois, Wyoming
In-Home Visit with Cade Harris and His Parents

Marcus Dawson sat comfortably, albeit nervous as this was his first in-home visit with the #1-rated recruit in the state of Wyoming, in the Harris family's living room, a warm smile on his face as he engaged in conversation. Across from him sat Cade, a standout high school basketball player, alongside his parents, Sarah and Kyle.

Marcus Dawson: Mr. and Mrs. Harris, it's an absolute pleasure to be here. Thank you for welcoming me into your beautiful home.

Sarah Harris: Oh, the pleasure's ours, Coach Dawson. We've heard great things about Wyoming and your coaching style.

Kyle Harris: Yes, Marcus, we've been excited to hear about Cade's potential future in your program.

Marcus Dawson: Cade's an exceptional player, both on and off the court. We believe he'd be a fantastic addition to our team, not just for his skills but for his character too. To be blunt, Cade is our number one recruit, this is my first visit, and I want to get him in the fold, that's how much we think of your son.

Cade Harris: Thank you, Coach. I've been really looking forward to this visit.

Marcus Dawson: Cade, what drew you to Wyoming in particular?

Cade Harris: Living in Wyoming, it's almost a no-brainer that Wyoming would be my favorite team growing up. It's been surreal having my name mentioned as a potential Cowboy in the future. Moreover, I've always admired the team's attitude and spirit. The idea of contributing to building something special here is thrilling.

Sarah Harris: We've done our research, Coach Dawson. Education and community support are paramount to us. Can you speak to how Wyoming aligns with that?

Marcus Dawson: Absolutely, Mrs. Harris. Education is at the core of our program. We support our athletes on and off the court, ensuring they thrive academically first and athletically second while fostering a sense of community involvement.

Kyle Harris: That's wonderful to hear. Cade's education is non-negotiable.

Marcus Dawson: Education is the foundation, Mr. Harris. And when it comes to community, Wyoming is unique. Our fane, the Laramie community--they're like family to us.

Sarah Harris: That's important to us, Marcus. We want Cade to feel part of a supportive community.

Marcus Dawson: At Wyoming, it's more than just basketball. We're building a family here, and Cade would be a pivotal part of that.

The conversation flowed smoothly, blending discussions about academics, community, and the vision Marcus held for his team. As the visit came to an end, there was a palpable sense of mutual interest and possibility, leaving the Harrises with a sense of enthusiasm about the prospect of Cade joining the Wyoming basketball family.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:45 am

September 14, 2022
@CadeHarrisHoops--Beyond excited to announce my commitment to further my academic and basketball journey at UCLA! Grateful for the opportunities ahead. Go Bruins! #UCLABound #BruinNation

@CowboyCountry--Coach Dawson wasn't able to close the deal on @CadeHarrisHoops. It's ok, it was a longshot, at least he took a chance, something Coach Davis would've never done. Keep at it Coach Dawson and good luck to @CadeHarrisHoops in LA. #GoPokes
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:10 am

September 19, 2022
PokePride: First Commitments in the Marcus Dawson Era

Amidst a competitive recruiting landscape, Wyoming's new head man, Marcus Dawson, saw both successes and setbacks in his pursuit of top talent for the Cowboys. While missing out on local standout Cade Harris, who committed to UCLA, the team secured commitments from two Idaho prep prospects: Perry Bryant and Rod Tarver.

Harris the #1 rated recruit in the state of Wyoming, chose to take his game to UCLA, opting out of playing for his home state Cowboys. Although Coach Dawson aimed to secure Harris' commitment, the decision came as a surprise to the Cowboys' faithful.

Despite this setback, the Cowboys didn't miss a beat, swiftly locking in commitments from two solid recruits who show immense potential for the program in the years to come.

Perry Bryant, a 6'8" power forward hailing from Preston, Idaho, brings a formidable presence to the court. A 3-star recruit, Bryant boasts a knack for defense and a scoring touch inside the paint. His impressive high school states from his junior year--averaging a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds per game--underscore his capabilities on both ends of the floor.

Joining Bryant is Rod Tarver, a 6'4" shooting guard from Greenleaf, Idaho, offering versatility and scoring prowess. With a 2-star rating, Tarver's strength lies in consistent outside shooting, adding depth to the Cowboys' offensive arsenal. His junior year performance, averaging 13.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game, showcases his well-rounded skills on the court.

While missing out on Harris was a disappointment, the commitment of Bryant and Tarver signals a promising start to Coach Dawson's era. These additions are expected to bolster the team's depth and contribute significantly to the future success of Wyoming basketball. The Cowboys aren't done on the recruiting front as they still have two scholarships left to fill. Stay tuned to PokePride for all of the recruiting news coming out of Laramie.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:07 am

September 25, 2022
Meeting with Emily Thompson: Board Expectations

Emily Thompson: Marcus, thank you for joining me. I trust recruiting is going well. I heard you already have a couple of verbal commitments. I wanted to discuss the board's expectations of you as we gear up for the season.

Marcus Dawson: Of course, Emily. Yes, we have a couple of verbal commits and still have two offers out waiting on their decision. Let's get down to business.

Emily Thompson: The board has set some targets for this season they feel you should meet this season. First off, they're aiming for you to earn an invitation to the NIT at the end of the season.

Marcus Dawson: Understood. We'll strive for a strong showing to earn that invite.

Emily Thompson: Additionally, they're eying a finish in the top half of the conference. We need to show our strength within the league.

Marcus Dawson: Definitely a goal of mine as well. Competing at that level is crucial for us as a program.

Emily Thompson: They're also pushing for a season finish above .500. It's a mark that denotes consistency and growth for the program.

Marcus Dawson: We'll work hard to finish above .500. As a coach, I've never had a losing record, so I don't see any reason to start now.

Emily Thompson: Finally, the board's keen on improving the school's prestige. Currently, we're at 33/100. They're looking to elevate our standing significantly.

Marcus Dawson: Well focus on every aspect--on and off the court--to raise the program's profile. It's about building a legacy here.

Emily Thompson: Absolutely, Marcus. These are benchmarks they're hoping we can meet. Your leadership will be instrumental in driving us towards these goals.

Marcus Dawson: I'm ready to take on the challenge. We'll put in the work and aim high to elevate the program in every way possible.

Emily Thompson: That's what I like to hear, Marcus. We're counting on you and the team to push forward and make strides this season. Good luck.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:24 am

September 26, 2022
Cowboy Basketball Schedule Released

November 14 @ Hawaii Rainbow Warriors Win 73-65
November 17 Norfolk State Spartans Win 88-69
November 21 Longwood Lancers Win 84-66
November 24 @ Stonehill Skyhawks Win 79-76
November 28 Northern Arizona Lumberjacks Win 100-86
December 1 @ Wright State Raiders Win 81-79
December 5 Boston Terriers
December 12 @ Denver Pioneers
December 19 @ Tulsa Golden Hurricanes
December 23 @ Penn State Nittany Lions JAG Holiday Invitational
December 26 North Florida Osprey
January 2 San Jose State Spartans
January 4 @ Fresno State Bulldogs
January 9 Air Force Falcons
January 11 @ Nevada-Las Vegas Runnin' Rebels
January 13 Colorado State Rams
January 16 @ Utah State Aggie
January 18 New Mexico Lobos
January 25 @ #19 San Diego State
January 27 Boise State Broncos
February 1 @ Nevada Wolfpack
February 6 @ San Jose State Spartans
February 8 Fresno State Bulldogs
February 13 @ Air Force Falcons
February 15 @ Colorado State Rams
February 20 Utah State Aggies
February 22 @ New Mexico Lobos
February 27 Nevada-Las Vegas Runnin' Rebels
March 1 #19 San Diego State Aztecs
Last edited by coachdubs on Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:52 am

September 30, 2022
PokePride: Cowboys Complete Dawson's First Recruiting Class with Local and Out-of-State Talent

Coach Marcus Dawson's inaugural recruiting class for the Wyoming Cowboys has been nothing short of dynamic. With the final commitments rounding out the class the Cowboys have secured their first in-state prospect--a goal of Coach Dawson is to keep in-state talent in Laramie--and added another talented prospect from Idaho, capping off a promising class for the program.
The long-awaited in-state commitment came in the form of James Mills, a towering 7-1 center from Ethete, Wyoming who played for Wyoming Indian High School. Mills ranked as the #2 prospect in the Cowboy state, brings a strong skill set to the table. A 3-star recruit, he boasts an impressive ability to score from both the paint and the outside. Mill's junior year saw him receive All-State honors posting notable averages of 14.8 points, 8 rebounds, and 3.1 blocks per outing. While his defensive prowess is considered average, his scoring versatility makes him a valuable addition to the team.
The final piece to the 2023 class puzzle arrives from Twin Falls, Idaho, in the form of Justin Clark, a 6-2 point guard. Clark, a 2-star prospect, showcases a keen eye for shooting from the perimeter and stands out with his exceptional passing and ball-handling skills. Averaging 16.7 points and 3.6 assists per game during his junior season, Clark's offensive skill set is complemented by his decent defensive abilities.
Coach Dawson's recruiting efforts not only secured local talent in Mills but also extended the Cowboys' reach into Idaho with the addition of Clark. These commitments round out a class that exhibits diversity in skills and geographical origins, hinting at a dynamic blend of talents set to invigorate Wyoming's basketball program.
The completion of this recruiting class sets the stage for an exciting new chapter in Wyoming basketball, elevating expectations and offering a glimpse of a promising future for the Cowboys under Coach Dawson's leadership.
coachdubs

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports