The Marcus Dawson Story

Re: The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:47 pm

October 1, 2025
Mountain West Media Day Event
Las Vegas, Nevada

Rachel Michaels-ESPN: Coach Dawson, great to have you here in the Mountain West. What are your expectations for the upcoming season?

Coach Dawson: Thanks, Rachel. We're aiming high this year, looking to make significant strides in the conference and help turn this once-great Wyoming program around. We'd like to earn a post-season spot. We've been working hard in the off-season, and I believe we have the talent and drive to make it happen.

David Thompson-CBS Sports: Brendan, as a key player on the team, what improvement have you personally focused on during the off-season?

Brendan Moody: I've been working on my consistency, especially in shooting and playmaking. Also, building chemistry with my teammates to elevate our on-court cohesion.

Lisa Chen--Mountain West Network: Coach Dawson, what can the fans expect from the Cowboys this season?

Coach Dawson: We're a team with grit and determination. Fans can expect an exciting brand of basketball--fast-paced, high-energy, and dedicated to leaving it all on the court every game.

Rachel Michaels--ESPN: Brendan, how do you see your role evolving this season?

Brendan Moody: Coach Dawson has entrusted me with more leadership responsibilities. I aim to be a catalyst on the court, both in scoring and facilitating, and help guide our team to success.

Coach Dawson Closing Statement: We're excited for the upcoming season. The Mountain West is a tough conference and there are no easy games in this league, but we're ready to embrace the challenge and showcase the hard work we've put in. Go Pokes!
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:02 am

November 6, 2022
Coach Dawson Office

Coach Dawson reclined in his office chare, a tablet displaying stats and practice footage sprawled across his desk. He mulled over the preseason practices, mentally replaying each session as he reflected on his team's progress.
"Preseason was a mixed bag," he thought, his mind parsing through the performances. "Moody's consistency at the point guard spot is promising. Fields brings that defensive grit we've been lacking, though. Man, we really need to play against somebody other than ourselves. I'm not used to six or seven weeks of practice without a game."
"Baxter's versatility at small forward will be helpful. Dunlop's still finding his footing," he mused, reviewing their development.
The power forward and center positions were intriguing. Rivers' defensive prowess was apparent, but Tahid's ferocious rebounding couldn't be ignored.
"As for the rotations," he pondered, "Clark might be the wildcard we need."
His thoughts drifted to the team's overall cohesion. The pieces were there, but their synchrony needed fine-tuning. He jotted down notes, plotting drills to strengthen defensive strategies and foster better offensive fluidity.

Later, in a coaches' meeting, Dawson led the discussion as they pored over the team's roster, each coach offering insights gleaned from preseason practices.

Marcus: Alright, let's dive into our starting lineup and rotations for our opener against Hawaii. Moody's been consistent, and Fields' defensive prowess is something we're considering. Thoughts?

Ken: Moody's playmaking and scoring could set the tone. But Fields' defense could give us an edge early one.

Marcus: Let's start Moody in the opener and Fields will spell him when he needs to and will be ready to make an impact off the bench.

Sundance: Esherick's shown he's our go-to guy at shooting guard. Bright's got potential, but Esherick's overall game might give us the boost we need from the start.

Marcus: Esherick it is at shooting guard and Bright needs to be ready to contribute off the bench.

Marc: Baxter's versatility at small forward is evident. Dunlop is still developing, but Baxter has to be the man.

Marcus: Baxter will start at the small forward spot and Dunlop needs to continue working to earn minutes.

Ken: Tahid has been by far the most tenacious on the glass so far, however, Rivers' defensive presence may be more critical early in the game

Marcus: They'll both get starting assignments against Hawaii, Tahid at power forward and Rivers at Center. Anyone else that we feel has earned some minutes?

Sundance: McFall and Clark both have shown some sparks of talent, but they could be a little ways out from contributing on a regular basis.

Marcus: Alright, let's fine-tune these rotations and lineups in practice this week and get ready for our season opener. I want to make a good first impression. Hawaii's not an easy opener, but we'll be ready for it.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:11 am

November 8, 2022
Preseason Mountain West Preview
PokePride

As the college basketball season approaches, the Mountain West Conference gears up for what promises to be an exciting year of intense competition and spirited clashes. Here's a glimpse of the preseason predictions:

1. San Diego State Aztecs - Led by the experienced Brian Dutcher, the Aztecs claim the top spot in the preseason rankings and are the sole team representing the conference in the esteemed Top 25, positioned at an impressive #19.

2. Utah State Aggies - Coach Ryan Odom guides the Aggies, securing a predicted second-place finish, set to challenge the top contenders for conference dominance.

3. New Mexico Lobos - Under the guidance of Richard Pitino, the Lobos are anticipated to clinch the third spot, aiming to make significant strides this season.

4. Colorado State Rams - Positioned at fourth, the Rams bring their competitive edge, eyeing a strong showing in the conference.

5. UNLV Rebels - The Rebels claim the fifth spot, ready to fiercely contest their opponents in pursuit of success this season.

6. Boise State Broncos - Coming in sixth, the Broncos are set to battle it out in a highly competitive field.

7. Air Force Falcons - Positioned at seventh, the Falcons aim to soar to new heights this season.

8. Nevada Wolf Pack - Led by Steve Alford, the Wolf Pack, although ranked eighth, could surprise with their potential to challenge higher-ranked opponents.

9. Wyoming Cowboys - Freshman head coach Marcus Dawson leads the Cowboys, placing ninth in the preseason rankings. A new era beckons for the Cowboys under Dawson's leadership.

10. Fresno State Bulldogs - Coming in tenth, the Bulldogs aim to defy expectations and make their mark in the conference.

11. San Jose State Spartans - Bringing up the rear, the Spartans gear up to fight against the odds and aim for upward mobility in the rankings.

The Mountain West Conference promises a season filled with thrilling matchups, surprising upsets, and an intense battle for conference supremacy. Stay tuned as the action unfolds on the courts across the conference.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 am

November 12, 2022
Dawson Residence Laramie, Wyoming

Marcus: Alright, bags are packed, and I've got everything I need for the first trip of the season.
Sarah: Feeling ready for the opener?
Marcus: As ready as I'll ever be. It's a mix of nerves and excitement, you know? Way more than back at Hamilton High. We need to play someone with a different color jersey though. I just wish our first game was at home so you could watch in person.
Sarah: Of course, I know. You've been preparing for this for a while now. You've got this.
Marcus: Thanks, babe. I'll miss you and the kids. I wish you could come with us for the game.
Sarah: We'll be cheering you on from home, that's for sure. Lily and Jake have their "Go Cowboys" banners ready.
Marcus: (smiling) That's my cheer squad right there.
Sarah: Just promise me you'll stay focused, alright?
Marcus: I will. And I'll bring back a win for us.
Sarah: I believe in you. Save travels, and give 'em heck out there.
Marcus: Always do, Love you.
Sarah: Love you too. Knock 'em dead, Coach!

Marcus always loved the pregame talks from Sarah. Ever since his first game as a high school JV coach, she had conversed with him prior to leaving home. It always set his mind at ease and made him feel prepared and ready to take on any situation. She was definitely his rock.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:24 am

November 14, 2022

@CowboyCountry--It's Game Day Poke Fans! Coach Dawson's debut in the spotlight begins at Hawaii for our season opener. Let's show 'em what Wyoming basketball is all about! #GoCowboys #WyomingBasketball #CoachDawsonDebut #WyomingCowboySportsNetwork
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:32 am

November 14, 2022

@PokePride--What a start to the Dawson Era! Wyoming secures a fantastic 73-65 win over Hawaii in their season opener! Robinson McFall dominates off the bench with 13 PTS, 11REB, and 5 BLK to seal the deal! Coach Dawson starts 1-0! #GoPokes #WyomingBasketball #DawsonEra
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:59 am

November 15, 2022
Laramie Boomerang
Cowboys Rally to Victory in Hawaii Opener
Ryan Mathews

Honolulu, Hawaii--In a gripping season opener, the Wyoming Cowboys displayed resilience and determination, pulling off a thrilling comeback to secure a 73-65 victory over Hawaii. Trailing 35-32 at the end of the first half, the Cowboys faced even more adversity as Hawaii pushed their lead to 12 points midway through the second half at 51-38, led by Isaac Forest with 17 points and Jeff Barber with 14 points. However, Wyoming's Head Coach, Marcus Dawson, orchestrated a strategic turnaround sparked by his bench that altered the course of the game entirely.
"It was a tough battle out there tonight. We fell behind, but the resilience the team showed was incredible," remarked Coach Dawson after the game. "They executed our adjustments perfectly, and that's what truly turned things around for us."
The Cowboys used an impressive 26-10 run in the final 7:32 of the game, showcasing their tenacity and ability to handle pressure situations. Leading the charge, Marius Baxter emerged as a pivotal figure, tallying 17 points, including a sharp 4-7 performance from beyond the arc, and contributing 7 rebounds to the team's effort.
Robinson McFall, instrumental off the bench delivered an exceptional performance providing Coach Dawson with 22 outstanding minutes. McFalls' stellar play included an impressive stat line of 13 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks.
"Our bench was why we won the game tonight," Dawson praised. "Robinson's performance was phenomenal. He was a game-changer for us when we needed it most.
Wyoming's balanced effort was evident as every player who took the floor contributed. Clifton Tahid added 13 points despite playing limited minutes due to foul trouble, showcasing the depth and versatility of the Cowboys' roster.
The Cowboys shot 43% from the field and demonstrated composure from the free throw line, hitting 22-32 attempts compared to Hawaii's 6-14. "We faced adversity, but they stayed composed and executed down the stretch. It's a great way to start our season!"
The victory marks a promising beginning for the Cowboys as they aim to carry this momentum forward as they will host Norfolk State in the Arena-Auditorium on Thursday night, a 7:05 pm tip is scheduled.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 am

November 15, 2022
Early Morning Laramie, Wyoming

I need to text Marcus, his guys played so well tonight. I'm glad I stayed up late to watch the game on the Wyoming Sports Network.

To: Marcus
Hey Coach Dawson! Just caught the game! INCREDIBLE comeback win! So proud of you and the team! Robinson was on fire! Can't wait to hear all about it. Love you! Have a safe trip home.

To: Sarah
Thanks, Babe! The young men played well tonight. And, yes, Robinson was fire! I'm exhausted and I'm going to try and catch some winks on the flight, we board in just a little bit. I'll see you later today. Big game on Thursday at home.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:39 am

November 17, 2022

@CowboyCountry--It's going down in the Dome of Doom! Tonight's the Pokes' home opener against Norfolk State at the Arena Auditorium! Let's make it rock, Wyoming! #GoPokes #DomeofDoom #HomeOpener

@PokePride--The Dome of Doom awaits the Spartans! Let's see the Pokes dominate their home opener tonight! Got get 'em, Wyoming! #GoPokes #HomeOpener #WyomingBasketball #WyomingSportsNetwork
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:57 am

November 18, 2022
The Laramie Boomerang
Cowboys Shine in Home Opener, Topping Norfolk State 88-69
Ryan Mathews

In a commanding performance at the Arena Auditorium, the Wyoming Cowboys asserted their dominance with an impressive 88-69 victory over Norfolk State in a thrilling home opener clash inside the Arena-Auditorium on Thursday night.

The game started well for the Spartans with a quick three-pointer by Joe Fry on the opening possession, but that would be the only lead of the game for Norfolk State. Following the early bucket, it was all Cowboys for the remainder of the game, led by Head Coach Marcus Dawson's squad.

Clifton Tahid spearheaded a quintet of Cowboys surging into double figures, amassing a game-high 20 points while contributing 3 rebounds and 4 assists. Tahid's impressive performance set the tone for the team's victory.

Marius Baxter continued to display his sharpshooting start to the season, lighting up the court from long-range by nailing 4 of 5 three-pointers, tallying a notable 19 points for the evening.

Coach Dawson commended the team's unselfish style of play, evident in their exceptional ball movement and collaboration that resulted in 18 assists on 31 field goals. "We emphasized team play, and it showed tonight," Dawson remarked after the game. "The guys executed our game plan brilliantly."

Contributing to the victory, Brandon Moody showcased his all-around skills with 13 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists, while Robinson McFall once again emerged as a pivotal figure off the bench, chipping in with 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists.

The Cowboys exhibited efficiency in shooting, boasting a 53% field goal rate and an equally impressive 53% from beyond the arc. They continued to get to the free throw often and made more free throws than the Spartans attempted converting on 16 of 22 attempts.

In a testament to their defensive resilience, the Cowboys outrebounded the Spartans 36-27 and held them to 41% shooting from the field, stifling any chance of a late comeback.

Speaking about the team's performance, Marius Baxter expressed, "We came out focused, moved the ball well, and executed our shots. It was a great team effort tonight."

The Pokes improved to 2-0 on the young season and will play host to the Longwood Lancers on Monday night with a 7:05 pm tip slated.
coachdubs

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports