The Marcus Dawson Story

Re: The Marcus Dawson Story

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:07 pm

Sunday, May 29, 2023
Transfer Portal
We have a slew of PGs on the roster with five headed by returning starter senior Brendan Moody and backup senior Germaine Fields to go with a pair of juniors in Kenny Fox and Tevis Scott. And the most recent PG recruit Justin Clark to the fray; we don't need to add a point guard.
We only have one shooting guard in freshman Rod Tarver so this should be a place to find a veteran in the transfer portal.
Walk-on Joe King is the only small forward on the team so this is another area of need.
Returning PF junior Clifton Tahid is returning with one of our top recruits Perry Bryant. James Mills our other three-star recruit for Wyoming is the lone center on the roster, so this is another area of need for us.
We were able to snag three athletes to fill four spots that were vacated by our athletes leaving via the transfer portal.
The first transfer the Pokes picked up is Joe Riggs, a 6-8 small forward from Victor, New York who played at Syracuse as a freshman. He comes to Laramie with three years of eligibility left. He averaged just under eight minutes of action in 30 games as a freshman scored 1.3 points and had 1.3 rebounds a game.
The second transfer is also a small forward in 6-7 sophomore Dexter Gray who played at George Mason a year ago. With three years of eligibility remaining, Gray only appeared in seven games a season ago and averaged 1.6 points and less than a rebound in those games.
The final transfer is a center, Marcus Morris from St. Louis, Missouri. He played at Missouri State last season. His promising freshmen campaign was cut short due to a broken leg. Before the injury, Marcus appeared started 20 games and averaged 10.7 points and 6 rebounds a game.
We struggled to find a shooting guard to fill the fourth scholarship. There wasn't a quality shooting guard in the portal after the first round. We offered a scholarship to the best shooting guard in the portal but he declined and transferred from Texas to North Carolina.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:19 pm

July 9, 2023
Las Vegas Revue Camp
Las Vegas, Nevada

Marcus stood amidst the flurry of activity inside the Thomas and Mack Center at the Las Vegas Recruit Revue, eyes fixed on the court as prospects showcased their skills. The arena buzzed with anticipation, and Dawson moved between the various courts with dozens of other college coaches, observing the talent on display.

Will Sanden, a top 10 prospect, caught his eye immediately with his speed and court vision. The young player's skills were evident, and Marcus made a mental note to keep an eye on him throughout the camp.

Julius Sullivan, another highly touted prospect, displayed versatility and a solid shooting stroke. Dawson was impressed by Sullivan's poise on the court, recognizing the potential impact he could have on a team.

Chad Howard, from just down the road a bit in Burns, Wyoming, showed promise but didn't stand out amongst the rest of the recruits. Similarly, Abraham Boardman from Cheyenne didn't command attention during the showcase.

On the other hand, Jason Smith from Taos, New Mexico, the player at the top of Marcus' recruit list for the 2024 class, was a stand-out performer, demonstrating exceptional athleticism and a well-rounded game that confirmed to Marcus he was as good as he thought.

Rodney Brunson and Jeremey Wilks didn't make significant impressions as in-state recruits for Marcus, but John Barker from Rawlins, Wyoming, exhibited potential but lacked the stand-out factor Marcus was hoping to see from him.

Mike Dean from Plains, MT, whom Marcus was very familiar with coaching against him as a prep coach in Montana, showcased skills that earned him a spot as a top-25 player at the camp. His performance caught Marcus' attention, making him a candidate for further consideration.

Kevin Faulkner, another prep from Montana, also made the top 25 and displayed qualities that Marcus appreciated, showing promise that could potentially fit well within his team dynamic.

Throughout the camp, Marcus carefully observed each player, noting their strengths, weaknesses, and how they might complement the team's style of play. As the days went on, he sifted through the talent, seeking individuals who would not only enhance the team's performance but also embody the value and work ethic he prized in his players.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:11 pm

July 31, 2023
Recruiting Meeting Between Coaches

Coach Dawson: Alright fellas, let's go over our recruiting efforts so far. Ferdinando Pisano seems genuinely interested in us, his game could add a lot to our team. I really want to start reaching out to get some foreign players and he could be our first.

Coach Wicks: That's exciting news. Sanden and Howard are both great prospects, but we've got some competition there. We've got to step up our game.

Coach DeWeese: Absolutely, Chad Howard could be a game-changer for us, especially with the Wyoming ties, both his parents graduated from Wyoming. Let's keep pushing for that.

Coach Rodgers: Burk from Ogden, Utah seems like a solid option too. And what about the kid from Anchorage? Kelvin Howe? Do we have a shot with him?

Coach Dawson: Howe's talent is undeniable, but we're facing some stiff competition for him. Let's not rule him out just yet, but we may need to hedge our bet on him.

Coach Wicks: Kenny Thompson and Aaron Roberts' visits went well. They could be excellent additions to our program.

Coach DeWeese: Roberts could be a crucial piece, especially considering CSU and Colorado are in pursuit of him.

Coach Dawson: We need to prioritize in-state talent like Jeremy Wilks. If the family connection is strong, we've got a great shot.

Coach Roberts: What about Jason Smith from New Mexico? USC is the only one that's extended an offer to this point. Does this mean his recruiting is over?

Coach Dawson: Smith's a gem. Let's keep pursuing him until he gives a verbal. Hopefully, the seed we planted with him at the Las Vegas Revue will help us in the long run.

Coach Wicks: Alright, we've got work to do. Let's stay on top of these prospects and get them to see the bright future we've got brewing here in Laramie.

Coach Dawson: I agree. Let's see if we can't fill our three open scholarships with the best possible players.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:38 pm

August 20, 2023
Dawson Family Vacation

The Dawson family eagerly anticipated their annual getaway before the school year began, a tradition that brought them closer each summer. This was something Marcus and Sarah felt was important to do once they had children to stay connected as a family. With both Marcus and Sarah working in the school systems, they had the summers pretty free early on, but once Marcus got into coaching things got substantially more busy. Now as a Division I college coach, it was even busier with recruiting, and off-season workouts, high school basketball camps to run, there wasn't much time left for Marcus. As the children got older and more involved in activities that ate up even more time; between little league baseball for Jake and dance classes and camps and softball for Lily, there wasn't much time.
This year, the Dawsons decided to travel to the Great Smoky Mountains, something that Marcus and Sarah had always wanted to do.
They arrived at a cozy cabin they had rented for the week, amidst lush greenery, where Lily and Jake were ecstatic about their new temporary home. The first day was all about settling in, unpacking, and exploring the cabin's surroundings. They discovered a nearby creek perfect for skipping stones, and Jake even managed to catch a glimpse of a deer wandering through the woods.
The next few days were filled with outdoor adventures. They hiked trails adorned with vibrant wildflowers and discovered breathtaking vistas and cascading waterfalls. Sarah and Lily bonded over photography, capturing the stunning landscape and the family's joyful and silly moments. Meanwhile, Marcus and Jake enjoyed fishing at a nearby lake, sharing stories and laughter as they tried their luck with their fishing rods.
One highlight of the trip was a visit to Dollywood, where the family rode roller coasters, played games, and indulged in all sorts of junk food and treats. They laughed heartily, delighting in each other's company and the adrenaline rush of the rides.
As the vacation neared its end, they spent a serene evening by a crackling campfire, roasting marshmallows and sharing stories under the starlit sky. It was a time of pure contentment and rejuvenation before the chaotic lifestyle of the school year kicked in.
On the two-day drive back to their home in Laramie, the talk turned to the upcoming school year and basketball season.
Sarah, glancing at Lily and Jake through the rearview mirror, initiated the conversation. "Lily, Jake, are you both excited about starting a new school year?"
Lily, the budding artist and photographer of the family, nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, I can't wait to show everyone my drawings and photos from our trip! And maybe join the art club this year."
Jake, his eyes gleaming with eagerness, chimed in, "I hope I get to play point guard in basketball this year!"
"Yeah, me too," Lily joined in.
Marcus added, "You both worked real hard with me this summer and you've improved your ball handling and overall basketball skill. I can't wait to watch you play this season."
Sarah turned to Marcus, her tone filled with pride, "And what about you, Coach Dawson?" Excited about the upcoming basketball season?"
Marcus smiled, a mix of anticipation and determination in his voice. "Absolutely. It's going to be an exciting year. We have some solid recruits and returning players who've been putting in hard work in the off-season. We have some high expectations after our season last year. I hope we can meet those expectations"
The conversation continued, merging excitement about school endeavors and the basketball season. Lily and Jake shared their goals for the year, while Marcus and Sarah offered encouragement and support, envisioning the challenges and triumphs that lay ahead for each of them.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:19 pm

September 13, 2023
Burns, Wyoming, 75 miles east of Laramie at the Howard Residence

Marcus Dawson sat comfortably in the Howard family living room, engaging in earnest conversation with Chad, his parents Mark and Danielle, amid the familiar, warm setting.

"Chad, Mark, Danielle, it's wonderful to be here. Thank you for allowing me to come into your home to discuss Chad's future," Marcus greeted warmly.

Mark, an alumnus of Wyoming, began, "We're excited to hear more about what Wyoming offers for Chad, on and off the court."

Marcus nodded, sharing stories of the university's academic resources and the team's tight-knit family culture that he had worked hard to cultivate since becoming the head coach. "At Wyoming, it's about family and growth. We focus on holistic development, not just basketball. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, we like to have all the young me out to our home for dinner and bonding time, my kids love hanging out with the players, and my wife, Sarah, loves to host the team as often as possible. I swear if I let her she would have them out for dinner once a week." The foursome shared a good laugh.

Danielle, also and alumnus of Wyoming and an outstanding volleyball player for the Cowgirls, nodding in agreement, chimed in, "We appreciate the emphasis on character-building and the family-centered structure. Chad needs a supportive environment to thrive."

As the conversation veered toward basketball facilities and the team's style of play, Chad's enthusiasm grew. Especially as Coach Dawson laid out what he thought of Chad's skillset and how it could be used to help the Cowboys. "I have to be honest with you, Chad, you're our number one recruit, I've put a lot of emphasis on keeping Wyoming prep athletes in-state and not letting them get out. In my perspective, you are the best prospect in Wyoming. You have a silky smooth shot and your range is limitless. You can get to the rim whenever you want and your defense is about as good as it gets. You have a few weaknesses, ball handling and free throw shooting, but we can fix those things with no problem."

Chad's eyes were lit up like a Christmas tree. "Coach, the campus looks amazing! And I love what the team stands for, I was so excited watching the run you had last year. I can see myself wearing the brown and gold and fitting in perfectly."

Marcus, sensing the right moment, leaned in, "Chad we'd love to have you as a Cowboy. Your skills and character are exactly what we're looking for; and the best part is, you're right in our backyard. Furthermore, we can continue the tradition of your family going to UW."

Mark and Danielle looked at their son with pride, they'd had this conversation with him before Coach Dawson ever showed up. They knew what Chad wanted to do and fully supported him. He had already made his decision, this visit was just a formality.

Chad beamed, his decision clear. "Coach, I'm ready to commit. I want to be part of the team. I want to play for you."

Marcus extended his hand with a smile. "Welcome aboard, Chad. You're going to do great things with us."

The room filled with excitement and a sense of accomplishment, as Chad's parents expressed their pride, knowing their son had found a place that aligned with his dreams. the commitment marked an exciting chapter for both Chad and Marcus Dawson. Last year Marcus lost the top recruit in the state to USC, but not this time, not this year.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:28 pm

September 14, 2023

@ChadH_Ballin--Excited to announce my commitment to the University of Wyoming! Looking forward to joining the Cowboys and making an impact on the court. #GoPokes

@PokePride--COMMITMENT ALERT!! The Wyoming family just got stronger! Chad Howard (@ChadH_BAllin) is bringing his talents to Laramie! Welcome to the family, Chad! #GoPokes #WyomingBasketball

@CowboyCountry--The future just got brighter in Laramie! 4-Star shooting guard Chad Howard (@ChadH_Ballin) is set to light up the court for @wyo_mbb! Welcome aboard Chad! #GoPokes #WyomingBasketball
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:00 pm

September 18, 2023
PokesPride.com
Wyoming Cowboys Land Two Promising Prospects for the 2024 Recruiting Class

In an exciting turn of events, the coaching staff of the Wyoming Cowboys basketball team has worked hard to secure commitments for two highly talented prospects for their 2024 recruiting class. Chad Howard, a dynamic shooting guard from Burns, Wyoming, and Abraham Boardman, a versatile power forward from Cheyenne, Wyoming, have chosen to stay at home and play collegiately for the Cowboys. With their impressive skills and strong connections to the University of Wyoming, these recruits are set to bring pride and excitement to the Wyoming Basketball program and its fans.

Chad Howard: An Explosive Shooting Guard
Hailing from the small town of Burns, Wyoming, Chad Howard has already made quite a name for himself. Leading the Burns Broncos to consecutive 2A state championships as a sophomore and junior, Howard has showcased his scoring skill and exceptional all-around skills on the court.
Standing 6'3", Chad possesses a remarkable shooting touch reminiscent of another Burns standout who played in Laramie, Greg Sawyer. With an average of 19.2 points per game, 1.7 assists 4.1 rebounds, Howard as proved his ability to contribute to his team's success consistently.
With both parents, Mark and Danielle, being Wyoming alumni, a strong bond to the university runs through the family. In fact, Danielle, Chad's mother, was an accomplished volleyball player for the Cowgirls during her time at Wyoming. This lineage only reinforces the sense of commitment and loyalty that Chad Howard brings to the Cowboys' program.

Abraham Boardman: A Dominant Power Forward
In yet another promising addition to the Cowboys' recruiting class, Abraham Boardman from Cheyenne Central High School brings his exceptional versatility and inside presence to the team. Standing tall at 6'7", Boardman possesses the requisite size and skills to dominate in the paint.
Boardman's standout performance includes an average of 13.7 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.4 blocks per game for 4A Indians. With his solid scoring ability from the perimeter, formidable defensive skills, and strong rebounding skills, Abraham Boardman is set to make a significant impact on the Cowboys' future success.

Continuing the Legacy
What sets both Chad Howard and Abraham Boardman apart is their deep ties to Wyoming's basketball heritage. Howard follows in the footsteps of Greg Sawyer, a talented shooting guard from the mid-late 90s who hailed from the same high school.
Similarly, Boardman's father, Steve Boardman, graduated from Wyoming in 2002, further establishing the strong connection and roots these two rising stars have with the university. This long-standing legacy adds to the excitement surrounding their commitment and reinforces their determination to continue the tradition of excellence.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:16 pm

September 25, 2023

@TheRealJoshMcClain--Just committed to joining the @Wyoming_MBB family! Excited to bring my skills and passion to the court. Let's work hard and do big things together! #GoPokes #WyomingBasketball

@CowboyCountry--Congratulations to our newest addition! Welcome to the family, 3-star shooting guard from North Dakota @TheRealJoshMcClain! We can't wait to see the impact you'll make on the court and the Cowboy legacy. Get ready for an incredible journey at #WyomingBasketball #GoPokes
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:25 pm

September 27, 2023
2023-24 Cowboy Basketball Schedule Released

The University of Wyoming Athletic Department released the 2023-24 Men's Basketball Schedule yesterday including 29 games with 18 conference games (9 home and 9 road).
The Cowboys will open at home on November 16 against Long Beach State and their first conference game will be at Boise State on January 2, 2024. The Cowboys, for the second straight season, will play in an in-season tournament; this year they will play in Orlando, Florida in the Sunshine Shootout with an opening-round game against Georgia Tech.
The Cowboys will play two non-conference road games against top-15 teams, on December 3 @ #4-ranked Connecticut and then on December 21 @ #12-ranked Xavier. The Mountain West Conference slate will have a host of difficult games including against three who were in the NCAA tournament last year in Utah State, Boise State, and San Diego State.
coachdubs

Postby coachdubs » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:00 am

November 7, 2023
Coach Dawson's Office at the University of Wyoming

Marcus sat at his desk going over notes from the first few weeks of practice trying to formulate a starting five and a substitution rotation ahead of the meeting with the other coaches, Ken DeWeese, Sundance Wicks, and Mark Rodgers. He had already received the scouting report from Sundance Wicks about their opening game opponent Long Beach State. Marcus was trying to balance what he felt the Cowboys would do well against the strengths of Long Beach State and the weaknesses they felt the 49ers had. He was so caught up in what he was doing he didn't notice Ken come in and sit down unit Sundance walked in with his over-the-top exuberance...

Sundance: Hey Marcus, what's going on, we gonna get this meeting rolling or what?

Marcus: Sorry, Sundance. I didn't realize we were all here and ready to roll.

Ken: We're just waiting on Mark, he was running a couple of minutes late, you know with the new baby and all at their house, sometimes he's a few minutes behind. He should be here shortly.

Marcus: We'll get going then, we need to wrap this up by 5 so I can get home for dinner with Sarah and her parents. They don't get down to visit very much so we have to take advantage of when they are around. Our season opener is just around the corner, and we need to lock in our starting five. Thoughts on who should be our starters based on our first few weeks of practice?

Ken: Well, Brendan has to be on the floor, no doubt. His overall game is solid, and he's a senior with great leadership qualities. I'd put him at the point.

Mark: (As he was walking in he heard Ken's assessment; as he was sitting down with his legal pad for notes as he always did): Agreed, Brendan's experience and skill make him a clear choice. I'd put Germain Fields in the backcourt with him; his passing and scoring can balance the offense.

Sundance: I'd slot in Tahid at power forward; he's got good all-around stats and judging by his off-season work he'll be even better than he was a season ago. He'll give us a solid presence down low and he, like Brendan bring solid leadership qualities that we want on the floor as much as possible.

Marcus: Yeah, Tahid's versatility works well. What about the five spot?

Mark: Mills or Morris, perhaps? Both have strengths but need work.

Marcus: Mills is promising and has a higher upside, but Morris has more experience. I feel like Morris has had some attitude issues this fall, so we don't want to reward that. Let's go with Mills to start and see how Marcus handles that adversity, maybe it will make him stronger and better. What about our small forward spot?

Ken: Dexter Gray might be our best bet, decent across the board but not flashy.

Sundance: Riggs also showed potential; he could be a good fit.

Marcus: Alright, let's roll with Moody, Fields, and Tahid as our main three. We'll start Gray and Mills but may need to platoon them with Riggs and Morris. We'll assess things as the season goes along.

Ken: Sounds like a plan. Let's get the boys ready for the opener!
coachdubs

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports