DDSCB 23: All Gas No Brakes

Re: DDSCB 23: All Gas No Brakes

Postby CoachPrm15 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:25 pm

Assistant Coach Brendan Foley

March 10, 2024

"The coaching staff in preparation for our opener in the MAC Tournament attended the Eastern Michigan-Bowling Green opening round MAC Tournament game, we would get the winner of that game. We handled both teams fairly easy during the regular season, but we weren't going to take anything for granted. We were treated to an entertaining game that ended up going into double overtime. Eastern Michigan squeaked out an 86-85 win to advance. The double overtime game will be an advantage to us, Eastern Michigan isn't a deep team to start with so fatigue will become an issue for them against us."

MAC 2023-2024 Conference Standings

Buffalo 19-1 26-5

Toledo 13-7 18-12

Ohio 12-8 19-12

Western Michigan 11-9 16-13

Kent State 11-9 16-13

Northern Illinois 10-10 15-14

Ball State 9-11 14-15

Eastern Michigan 8-12 13-16

Bowling Green 7-13 8-21

Central Michigan 7-13 10-19

Akron 7-13 11-18

Miami Ohio 6-14 10-19

CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:39 pm

Junior Center Lamont Fisher

March 11, 2024

MAC Tournament

Buffalo Bulls (1) (10) vs. Eastern Michigan Eagles (8)

"Coach Tyler's final words before we entered the court were, "Play to win, rather than playing not to lose." The point he was trying to get across, in one and done games favorites can play with the mindset of playing not to lose rather than going all out, that leads to upsets in these tournaments. Yes, as the number one seed we are expected to win, there is pressure in that, but we need to embrace the pressure. The fact we are a very mature team I feel the mindsets we have will allow us to do that.
'
We came out from the start to make a statement, Clint called "Show" which is the name for our lob play. Darryl faked as if he was coming to the wing for a jump shot, as he back cut, I screened his man which freed him up. Clint lofted a perfect pass to Darryl who caught the ball in flight and slammed home a massive dunk. The Bullzone which is our student fan immediately got the crowd going, they were fired up and we fed off that. After the initial dunk we were off to the races, knowing Eastern Michigan's players had heavy legs we delivered an early knockout blow. By the time their coach called their second timeout we were leading 20-2. Our perimeter offense gets most of the attention but today the coaches let the post guys eat. The guards keep feeding us down low and we used our size and strength to dominate the paint. Eastern Michigan never recovered from the 20-2 onslaught eventually falling 90-62. We would await the Western Michigan-Kent State in the semifinals. Interior players were responsible for 55 of the teams 90 points. Jason scored 16, Casey and Marcus both scored 10 off the bench and I led the way with a double-double, 19 points and 10 rebounds."

Last edited by CoachPrm15 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm

Senior Guard Lennox Gaines

March 12, 2024

MAC Tournament

Buffalo Bulls (1) (10) vs. Kent State Golden Flashes (5)

"We've developed a bit of a rivalry with Kent State, traditionally they have been one of the best basketball teams in the MAC but now we are the new kids on the block who have knocked them off their perch. We faced them one time defeating them 88 to 80, that contest was a chippy affair which a lot of physicality and a lot of talking between both teams. Some of their players already have been talking on social media, now they gotta back their talk up. As one of the captains of the team it is my job to ensure we focus on the task at hand rather than the emotional back and forth.

Kent State decided to pick us up full court from the start, which surprised us, and I feel led to our slow start. Their players were getting right in our faces, every time they made a play on of their players had something to say. I drove the lane for a layup and got knocked on my butt by one of their forwards, I felt the foul was a borderline cheap shot, so I got right into his face. Players had to pull us apart as we both were given a technical by the referees. The neutrals were definitely on the Kent State side, they along with their fans really go loud when Kent State took a 26-16 lead in the first half. Our answer was to unleash someone very familiar with the Kent State team, Lamont Woolfolk. Though he played three years at Kent State after his departure some of his ex-teammates made some negative comments about him. Playing with a chip on his shoulder Lamont scored 12 first half points to help cut the deficit to 39-34 at halftime.

With Lamont in a groove Coach Tyler decided to play a small lineup to start the second half of Clint-Me-Lamont-Darryl and Jason. It is a lineup we hadn't used much during the season, but it worked beautifully. We started the half on a 15-3 run which was capped off by back-to-back threes from Lamont. We had them on the ropes and then it was time for me to deliver the knockout shot. A three off a fast break by me extended our lead to 61-44 and we never looked back cruising to an 85-69 victory. Lamont scored a season high 30 points, I chipped in with 17 points and Clint dished out 13 assists."

CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:31 pm

Junior Guard Matt Tibbs

March 13, 2024

MAC Tournament

Buffalo Bulls (1) (9) vs. Ohio Bobcats (3)

"In my life I have never had the opportunity to play on a championship team. At the middle school level we lost in our district championship game twice, in high school we never got past the quarterfinal stage, and at Eastern Illinois we didn't win much. I knew coming to Buffalo I wasn't going to play as much but I wanted to win, most important be a part of a championship team. Overall the team was relaxed heading into the MAC Championship game, in large part because a number of returning players had already experienced a Championship game but I was nervous, butterflies were running through my stomach.

In our domination of the MAC this season, once we really locked in we could get teams to submit to us mentally. This game turned out different as Ohio took every punch we threw and then came back swinging themselves. The first half was an up-tempo affair with the lead switching back and forth on multiple occasions. I played limited minutes in the first half but I was able to contribute 4 points and 2 steals. We went into the half tied at 42, the mood was still one of confidence because we felt at some point Ohio would reach their breaking point.
So much for that thought as Ohio scored the first 9 points of the second half to take a 51-42 lead.

Now we had to play from behind which is something we rarely experienced in MAC player this season. Faced with adversity the true character of the team showed itself, we started clawing away eventually tying the game at 65 at the 8-minute mark of the second half. Neither team was giving an inch, one spectacular play on one end of the court would be met by an equally great play on the other end of the court. More than the physical test this game was a test of our mental will, and we reacted by focusing even sharper in effort to pull out a victory.

With Kent State leading 78-77, Darryl hit a mid-range jumper to put us up 79-78 at the 1:50 mark. Defensively Lamont Fisher blocked a shot and we got to the loose ball. With the shot clock running down Lennox launched a 25-foot three that hit nothing but net. On their next possession Ohio went one out of two from the free throw line. Lennox made a floater to put us up 84-79 with 17 seconds left. At that point we felt we had the game, unfortunately for us Ohio didn't get that memo. They rushed the ball up the court, a quick three was launched which went in the net. Compounding the negative, Lennox fouled the shooter on the shot which led to a four-point play. Clint made a pair of foul shots to put us up 86-83 with 8 seconds left. Coach Tyler called a timeout and gave the instructions to foul once Ohio got past midcourt. Clint fouled one of their guards, but the ref didn't call the foul, that got our defense into scramble mode which led to Ohio getting a good look from three. From where I was standing on the bench the shot looked like it was going to go in, fortunately the shot was a bit short as the final buzzer sounded.

It was more stressful than I would have liked but I could finally say I won a championship in basketball. When it was my turn to cut down my piece of the net, I savored the moment. Putting that MAC Basketball Champions t-shirt is a feeling that was unbelievable. Lennox paced our attack scoring 19 points, Darryl added 17, while Lamont Woolfolk and Jason scored 12 a piece. As for me I ended the game with 6 points, 4 assists, and 3 steals."

CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:34 pm

Head Coach Ricky Tyler

March 17, 2024

NCAA Tournament Selection Show

"The biggest difference heading into the NCAA Tournament this year compared to last year is due to our ranking I've done a lot of media appearances heading into the tournament. I'm not huge on these appearances but due to our rapid success it was inevitable. Seeding is the major conversation topic on selection Sunday. 29-5 overall with a national ranking of 9 and a solid non-conference schedule are the plus points. Critics will point out we played in the MAC but anyone who knows the game can see our ranking is legit. Once again, I made sure to hire the taco truck, we had last year. Fatima marvels at how I can eat so many tacos and still be in great physical shape. The announcement came in and we were going to be a 3 seed in the Midwest Region. We would be facing 14th seeded Sam Houston State. I'd say the room was elated hearing that our body of work was respected by the tournament committee. Memphis here we come."

Last edited by CoachPrm15 on Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 pm

Assistant Coach Jamie Quarles

March 21, 2024

NCAA Tournament First Round

Midwest Region

(3) Buffalo Bulls 29-5 (9) vs. (14) Sam Houston State Bearkats 21-11

"Sam Houston State is a team that is led by their starting backcourt, Junior Point Guard Cameron Shuler averaged 14.8 points per game and 6.8 assists per game. Junior Shooting Guard Sam Hooper leads the Bearkats in scoring at 15.1 points per game. Both players made the Conference USA First Team with Shuler being the player of the year in Conference USA. Our focus heading into the game would be keeping their backcourt duo in check. In games in which Sam Houston has struggled it has generally been when one of those two guards had an off night.

In effort to get the ball out of their hands we would utilize our 1-2-2 Press more than out full court man to man defense. With Darryl Newman being 6-8 with long arms he was going to be the perfect player to put at the head of our press. As good as Shuler and Hooper are they are on the shorter side in terms of height, Darryl wrecked early havoc being responsible for forcing 4 early turnovers. Defensively we wanted to try and make Shuler and Hooper use as much energy as possible. Anytime they were guarding we put them through a heavy diet of ball screens.

Jason and Lamont Fisher were feasting off of all of the ball screen action combining for 16 of our first 20 points. Even when Shuler or Hooper could score, we were pushing the ball right back up the court keeping the foot on the pedal. At the half we held a commanding 57-35 lead. Offensively we shot over 65% in the first half with 7 made three pointers. The second half our perimeter players put on one heck of a shooting display. As a team we made 13 threes in the second half. Arguably this performance was the best offensive performance we've had since Coach Tyler has been Head Coach. The 107-81 victory was a great way to show the country what we are all about. Clint was the quarterback, he only scored 5 points but dished out 15 assists. Lennox, Darryl, and Lamont Woolfolk all scored 20 points."

CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 pm

Head Coach Ricky Tyler

March 23, 2024

NCAA Tournament Second Round

Midwest Region

(3) Buffalo Bulls 30-5 (9) vs. (6) Miami Hurricanes 24-11 (6)

"As impressive as we were against Sam Houston State, we knew Miami would be a much different task. Where we could focus the brunt of our attention on the two guards of Sam Houston State, Miami was truly an outstanding team. All five of their starters average in doubles figures between 11 and 13 points per game. They are a skilled, experienced, and athletic team who can beat teams in a variety of ways. We needed to be at our very best, so I was very frustrated when Darryl Newman was called for two fouls inside the first three minutes of the game, especially the second foul in which the Miami player clearly flopped to get the call. Our second leading scorer was saddled with early foul trouble was not a good omen, and as the first half went on the pattern of Miami getting to the foul line became a reoccurring theme. Defensively Miami did a great job contesting all of our shots, the lack of rhythm had us in a 29-43 at the half. I was not happy, Miami shot 18 free throws in the first half compared to just 3 for us.

I finally had my wits end with the referees, after Darryl was called for his third foul on a charge at the 16-minute mark I let off with a verbal tirade on the referees. I think my players and the coaches were shocked because they never have heard me this ticked off. After Miami made the two technical foul shots, they were up 51-33. With Darryl, Clint, and Lamont Fisher all sitting with three fouls I had to go to a lineup I honestly do not recall using at all during the season. Matt Tibbs, Lamont Woolfolk, Lennox Gaines, Jason Gilbert, and Casey McDyess. I decided to switch up our defense and go with a Triangle and Two, desperate times call for desperate measures. We got scrappy, are offensive was still struggling in the halfcourt but defensively we began forcing turnovers which led to easy baskets. At the 10-minute mark we cut an 18-point deficit to 11 at 65-54. After Miami scored 6 straight points, on our next three possession Lennox made two threes and Lamont Woolfolk made another to cut the Miami lead to 70-64. Sensing the time was now I put Clint and Darryl back into the game. Clint was able to find a rhythm, but Darryl was completely off, he never could find his flow and he finished with 0 points. A putback by Jason got us to within 3 points but our guys were shot, all of the energy we spent coming back was sapped out of us when Miami made a three late in the shot clock. We continued to fight but had nothing left as our season ended in an 80-92 loss."

CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:23 pm

Head Coach Ricky Tyler

April 4, 2024

Player Stats

PPG: Gaines 17.5 Newman 14.1 Fisher 11.2

RPG: Fisher 8.0 Gilbert 6.4 McDyess 5.2 Newman 5.0

APG: Croshere 7.9 (Lead NCAA) Tebbs 3.1

SPG: Gaines 1.6 Newman 1.4 Fisher 1.1

BPG: Fisher 1.4 Gilbert 1.0

Team Stats

PPG: 87.7 (1)

OPPG: 70.8

APG: 22.2 (1)

RPG: 37.3

3PM: 10.8 (9)

3P%: 39.8 (4)

Awards

MAC COY: Ricky Tyler

MAC 1st Team All-Conference: Lennox Gaines

MAC 2nd Team All-Conference: Darryl Newman

2024 Final Four

BYU (5) 72 vs. Michigan State (1) 81

Oklahoma State (7) 88 vs. Michigan (2) 86

Oklahoma State (7) 91 vs. Michigan State (1) 84
CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:27 am

Head Coach Ricky Tyler

June 20, 2024

"The success we have had as a program in my first two seasons have made us a more appealing program in the transfer portal. Players really like our style of play as it allows them to showcase their abilities and develop their games even further. Being such an upperclassman led team the previous season I knew we had to do some good work in the transfer portal. I really like our incoming Freshmen class, but you never know how long it will take them to get used to the college game. Due to that unpredictability, I feel it is very important to have experienced players who can step in from day one and contribute.

Another reason we needed to bring in players from the portal is the fact we had three players leave to enter the portal. Cedrick Coleman, Chris Bullett, and Wendell Campbell all entered transfer portal. Even though none of that trio played much they still were three scholarship players, so we definitely had to be in the business of adding players.

James Finley is a player that I was very pleased to get, the 6'0 Sophomore shooting guard comes to us from Clemson where he averaged 7.4 points as a freshman. There was a coaching change at Clemson which led to James entering the transfer portal. Watching tape on James he is already shown himself to be a talented player, the most exciting part is we as a staff will have three years to develop him even further. James only shot 33% from three but that is misleading, he's a good shooter who just didn't always take the best threes. Shot selection for young players is a huge challenge and that is an area we will work with James to improve.

Junior Power Forward, Irv Green has a very similar skill set to the player he will be replacing Jason Gilbert. As a sophomore at McNeese State Irv averaged 18.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. At 6-8 192 pounds, Irv is very athletic, he can play multiple positions on the court. Irv does need to improve as a rebounder, with his length and athletic ability I feel he definitely should have averaged more than 6 rebounds per game.

The final addition from the portal was, John Underwood a 6-0 Point Guard who played at Louisiana last season. John is the son of a coach, and it shows on the court, he's a very heady player who knows how to make the right basketball plays. John is not the most athletic player but the combination of his IQ, shooting, and vision are what we look for in players. In his freshman season John averaged 6.2 points and 3.4 assists per game as a backup. He immediately gives us Point Guard depth as he will back up Matt Tibbs for the upcoming season."

CoachPrm15

Postby CoachPrm15 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:49 pm

Head Coach Ricky Tyler

September 10, 2024

2024/2025 Buffalo Bulls Roster

#25 Dan Brown PF 6-7 197 Sr. Wappingers, NY 2/4
#12 Marcus Buchanan PF 6-8 229 Sr. Croton, NY 2/2
#24 Brandon Clark PG 6-0 204 Fr. Skaneateles, NY 1.5/4
#20 John Cross SF 6-6 197 So. Rochester, NY 1/1 WO
#22 James Finley SG 6-0 199 So. North Augusta, SC 3.5/4*
#40 Lamont Fisher C 7-1 281 Sr. Niskayuna, NY 4/4*
#44 Irv Green PF 6-8 192 Jr. Moreauville, LA 3.5/4*
#35 Roy Hackworth PF 6-6 227 Jr. Alexandria Bay, NY 0.5/0.5 WO
#55 Casey Mcdyess C 6-9 243 Sr. Ontario, NY 3.5/3.5
#53 Pete Morrison C 6-8 270 Fr. New London, NC 1.5/4 RS
#2 Bryan Sanders SG 6-2 191 Fr. Hamden, CT 2/4.5*
#5 Matt Tibbs PG 6-0 208 Sr. Lagrange, IL 4/4*
#42 John Underwood PG 6-0 200 So. Belle Chasse, LA 2.5/4
#1 Arlon Walker SF 6-5 221 Fr. Scarborough, ME 1.5/4
#14 Rob Watkins SG 6-3 189 Fr. Spring Valley, NY 1/3.5 RS

Staff

Head Coach Ricky Tyler 32
First Assistant Jamie Quarles 38 Scouting
Second Assistant Angres Thorpe 53 Recruiting
Third Assistant Brendan Foley 37 Practice

"We do lose length on the wings this season, Lennox Gaines was 6'3 and Darryl Newman was 6'8. Their replacements James Finley is only 6'0, while Bryan Sanders stands at 6'2. Last year we had more of a traditional starting five, this year we will be going back to a three-guard attack. At the point Matt Tibbs is a very capable replacement for Clint Croshere, while we do not expect Matt to lead the nation in assists, we know he will direct our offense at a high level. James Finley will get the first crack at being our number one option though I think we will be a very well-balanced offensive team with any number of players who can be our leading scorer on any given night. Bryan Sanders adds shooting, where I've really been impressed with him is his ability to wreak havoc defensively. Irv Green is a like for like replacement for Jason Gilbert, very excited to see him especially in the open court. Lamont Fisher one of our captains is the anchor in the middle, a three-year starter we know he will produce every game. Outside of Casey McDyess and John Underwood the bench has a lot of questions, there are some young talents, but we will have to see how quickly they can adapt to the college game. Dan Brown a former junior college player is someone we hope can gives us some good frontcourt minutes off the bench."

CoachPrm15

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports