OMARI

OMARI

Postby PointGuard » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm

Omari Aura

Hey, if you’re familiar with my Dad Frederick Aura (AKA Coach Fed), you may also know a little about me. Because of my Dad, I grew up playing and loving basketball. Youth ball, high school ball, college ball at Providence, an NBA career of sorts, and becoming an assistant coach, first for Dad at Cal Poly and then at Ole Miss. All this gave me the name recognition that led to Grambling State University contacting me about coaching there. We had some extended conversations. They want to get a coach who can turn the program around (and wouldn't cost them TOO much). I was upfront about being excited by the challenge but told them I'd be looking at this as a starting point for me as a college head coach. So my intent would be to get the program successful (i.e., getting to a point where it was winning more games than it was losing and was on solid ground to continue to do so in the future), but would be likely to move on at that point. They were agreeable, so to many peoples’ surprise (mine included) I’m now the head coach of the Grambling Tigers at the age of 31.

Yeah, it’s young to be a Division 1 head coach, but Grambling’s basketball program has historically been pretty bad. Sports-wise, football definitely is much more associated with Grambling than basketball. Willis Reed is probably the most well-known basketball player who played for the Tigers, but he played in the 1960’s and today’s recruits know nothing about him. The next 2 best players coming out of Grambling: Jimmy Jones (1968) and Bob Hopkins (1957). I guess that sort of reveals that basketball at Grambling has long been on hard times.

But I’m excited to be here. Hey, Grambling is one of the best-known HBCU’s. My salary is good, at least it is for living in Grambling, Louisiana. I’d never lived in the South until going to Oxford, Mississippi as an assistant coach at Ole Miss, but I’ve got used to the weather and like living down here. I didn’t grow up eating much soul food, but I’ve become an aficionado. The population of Grambling is a little over 5000 of which 84% are black. So this is the first place I’ve ever lived where I’m part of the majority racially (since even Oxford, MS was under 30% black). Homes and rent are cheap. Medium household annual income is less than $30K, so my salary will edge that up some. Grambling is a nice, very small town…quiet and a place where you can get to know people real fast.

And the basketball team? Well it’s a team, but that’s about where it ends. There definitely are no stars on it. No big scorers or strong rebounders and when I talked about defense, I think I saw some players looking around wondering where d’ fence WAS. So it’s not surprising our basketball prestige level is almost nonexistent (4) and even worse than the Southwest Athletic Conference’s overall low prestige level (7). By the time I got here, it was too late to pick up any transfer players. Therefore we have to go this first season with the group the old coach left me with. So it’s up to me and my assistants to improve their skills and teamwork. I like my assistant coaches, but there’s a reason they’re coaching for poverty salaries: their skill levels are…how should I say this?...minimal at best. Even at their low salary levels, our remaining budget for recruiting is miniscule and we need money to go after 3 recruits this year who can upgrade our team. So I’m going to skimp on our training, amenities and wellness budget…and hope it doesn’t bite us in the butt before I can pump it up in upcoming years.

But hell, I’m not complaining. You have to start someplace…and Grambling is my beginning of what I hope will be a successful head coaching career.

After looking over our roster and assessing their skills and how they played by looking at a lot of game vids from last season, I asked our AD to try to schedule weak pre-conference opponents to give us a chance to have some level of success and begin building our guys confidence. The AD did a great job of doing exactly that. Now it’s up to me and the team to come up with ways to win as many of those games as possible.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: OMARI

Postby PointGuard » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:19 pm

Association and Team Initial Settings:

Using DDSCB2024 and College Mod 24
Injury Factor: 200%
Job Pressure Level: High
Recruiting Difficulty Level: Brutal
Declare for Draft: After 1 season
Number declaring for draft: Average
Conference Movement: Allowed
Using Modern Transfer Portal
Task Management Options: None handled by the CPU
Human Team’s Game: None simulated; All played out using 2D
Grambling’s initial prestige level: 4
Southwest Athletic Conference initial prestige level: 7
Head coach: Omari Aura, reputation 19
1st Asst coach: Matt Holt, reputation 9 (player development)
2nd Asst coach: Patrick Prince, reputation 8 (scouting)
3rd Asst coach: Clarence Adams, reputation 8 (recruiting)
School facilities: C
SAT minimum: 840
Academics: D+
Grambling’s historical all-time record: .386
Post-season tournaments: Once to NIT (a long time ago)
Budget: $127,500 total ($78,000 asst coaches; $5800 training; $3700 amenities; $5000 wellness; $35000 recruiting)
Home court: Willis Reed Court at Frederick C. Hobdy Assembly Center, capacity 7500

Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:04 am

Recruiting Needs

3 scholarships to fill. We’re not attending any camps due to our limited budget. Ideally would like 2 SF’s and 1 interior player, but we likely will need to take the best of whom we can interest in coming to Grambling.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:22 pm

Grambling, Louisiana

Been here a month now. And I’m realizing just how small the city of Grambling is. There’s not a lot to do here and the amenities are limited. The downtown is simple with a few small businesses. No fancy buildings…here’s city hall:

The nearest middle size city is Ruston and a bit further, Shreveport.

Right now, though, Grambling has a 12-day Juneteenth celebration going on…so that’s cool. I’ve gone to a few of the events and have sampled some of the great booth food.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:58 pm

Recruiting progress

Summer/Fall

We were aggressive but also tried to control our costs. I found out how difficult it was to get recruits truly interested in Grambling. Possibly my minimal experience in recruiting kept us from being as successful as I was hoping we’d be. We made offers but lost out to others throughout September and October. But we finally got Brody Rowland, a 6-7 PF from Ville Platte, LA to verbally accept our offer. Brody is a 3-star recruit who is rated #268 within the recruit ranks. He’s a good shooter and scorer from inside and outside and strong defensively and on the boards. He should be a big asset for us.

So one down and two to go. We have 2 offers that are hanging out there, but doubt that either of those 2 recruits will choose us. So we’ll try building interest in some of the remaining available recruits over the next several months and try filling the remaining two scholarships in March or April.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby CoachPrm15 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:41 pm

Seems like a good first recruit, especially considering all of the challenges associated with recruiting at a school such as Grambling State. Good size and seems like a solid offensive player.
CoachPrm15

Postby PointGuard » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 pm

Strategies

We’ll keep it simple focusing on two offensive sets (Motion and High Post, just M-2-M defense in the half court, and an occasional M-2-M full-court press). This will help our guys get experienced with our sets more quickly than if we were using a greater number of both offensive and defensive sets. Unlike my Dad who liked to play a very deep bench (and could get away with it by developing a deep roster through good recruiting), I prefer (and will likely have to) keep our starters on the court for as long as possible. We’ll likely have just 2 or 3 subs who get significant minutes.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Nov. 18: Grambling Tigers—68, North Dakota Fighting Hawks—61.

Nice to win, but this was a home game, so not particularly impressive. In fact, had we not totally dominated the boards (41-25), we probably wouldn’t have won this game. We played good D in the first half and led 41-25 at halftime, but slacked off in the 2nd half which allowed North Dakota to cut the gap. Our top player was C Rob Adkins who scored 11 points and pulled down 9 rebounds. The Fighting Hawks had 2 guys burn us for 18 points apiece, but we didn’t let any of their other players score more than 6 points. First darned game of the season and my head coaching career and we lose a player for a few weeks…starting PF Aubrey Johnson who had 8 points and 5 rebounds took a vicious elbow to the chest very early in the 2nd half and suffered a badly bruised sternum. [1-0]

Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:06 pm

Problems in Paradise

We had a couple issues arise between players...basically sniping back and forth. I pulled each player in for counseling. Of the 4 players, only SG Melvin Dickens was recalcitrant. I didn’t like his attitude and considered suspending him, but decided to give him a break since he’s a freshman and this was the first instance of unsatisfactory behavior. I’m not happy this all came about after a win, but maybe it’s just some blowback from pressures that were bottled up from our fall practice sessions.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 pm

Nov. 18: Lindenwood Lions—73, Grambling Tigers--67

We got our first lead 10 minutes into the game when Garick Weaver knocked down a 3 from the corner to make it 16-15. Our O and D combined from thereon to give us a 42-26 halftime advantage. PF Drew Bekale, replacing injured Aubrey Johnson in the starting lineup, came up big by scoring 14 first half points. We began the 2nd half OK, but then let the Lions go on a run that cut our 20 point lead to 7 with just under 10 minutes left in the game. Lindenwood got within 4 with 7 minutes remaining and then tied the game at 64 apiece with 2 minutes to go. We continued to fall apart and ended up losing by 6 points. Our last 15 minutes of the game were some of the worst play I’ve seen by a team. We out-rebounded the Lions 34-27 but our real downfall was that we made 21 turnovers (10 more than they did). PF Drew Bekale scored 19, C Rob Adkins had a double-double with 13 points and 11 boards, and PG Mario Kelly added 10 points. I’ll need to rebuild work on rebuilding the team’s confidence after such a devastating loss. [1-1]

Rob Adkins slams it home!
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball Dynasty Reports