Offensive Play Creation

Offensive Play Creation

Postby ZootMurph » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am

OK, I was focused on defense in the beginning, since I like defense so much. Now, I'm working on offense more seriously, and I see there are a lot of routes missing. I was really just looking for a swing pass to the back, and there is no swing pass, only flat or screen, both of which don't do exactly what I'd like. This is a very common route and should definitely be part of the routes available to be run.

After seeing that I couldn't run a swing pass, I started going through the routes and have a list that I'd like to see. The three out of the backfield are really the MOST important to me. Also, I think there should be 2 types of routes... backfield routes and line of scrimmage routes. Backfield routes allow backs to move differently... for example, a sit down route for a RB is a route where he goes straight up through the offensive line, then sits in front of the linebackers (3-5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage) if they are in zone. A comeback or curl will not work to do this as they end up stuck in the rushers.

Here's a list of missing routes.

From the backfield:
*Swing pass - Back bellies out to be moving towards the line of scrimmage when he catches the ball, having momentum and view of the field in front of him.
*Wheel - Runs towards the sideline and then up the sideline, usually getting lost by zone coverage and sometimes not being picked up in man to man.
*Angle - Runs at an angle outside the tackle, then cuts back sharply to the middle of the field. The is also called a V route because it looks like a sideways V.
Spot or Sit (center, left, right) - Where you go through the line of scrimmage, and sit under the zone. Either right past the center, or between guard and tackle on either side.
Out or In routes would be where the back goes off the tackle, straight up the field depending on depth of the route, then cuts in or out depending on the play call.

WR/TE routes:
TE Seam (also can by run by backs), where the TE runs up the field, not straight like a streak route, but off center to slip between zones and up the hashmarks.
*Cross (Deep or Shallow) - Starts with an inside move, moving mostly upfield, to get away from coverage in man... the crosses the field at a slight angle, trying to angle over the linebackers zone or running away from man coverage. This is another big and useful route that I'd really like to see in the game.
Dual moves, which I mentioned before, like Out and Up, In and Up, Stop and Go...
Shake - Run towards the defender, cut outside, then plant and cut inside like a shallow slant route.
Sluggo - Outside release, followed by a post route. Basically helps get the receiver in a good position against the defender.
Smash - Starts with an outside slant route, then a quick plant and run straight across the field towards the inside.
Whip (or Pivot): Basically a deeper Smash route, where you run at the defender (5 or 10 yards or whatever depth you need), then do the smash move... corner then post.

Finally, verbage to make it easier to understand... A post route is a route towards the goal posts (middle of the field). A corner route is a route towards the back corner of the end zone. So when I say post, it's always towards the middle of the field and if I say corner, it's towards the corner of the end zone.

Many of these are complicated or double moves, and maybe are difficult to put into the game. But some are simple, commonplace routes that SHOULD be in the custom play creator (marked with * - Swing, wheel, angle, cross).

Thanks!!
ZootMurph

Re: Offensive Play Creation

Postby coachcbjii » Thu May 14, 2020 12:52 pm

I wanted to Bump This...Are more routes a possibility in the 2021 version?
I know we can also make our own routes in the Play.xml file.
coachcbjii

Re: Offensive Play Creation

Postby Ronm » Fri May 15, 2020 10:44 am

There are a lot of plays with the routes you mention in the my file...which I edited to remove the college wishbone formation plays because that formation crashes the pro game.
I am sure there must be a way then to use those routes
If you would like I could send you what I have and you can mess with it.
Ronm

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion