Draft scouting and ratings...

Draft scouting and ratings...

Postby Skycast » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 am

Why do the player ratings change every time I open/refresh a player card when scouting for the draft? Shouldn't they remain static on each viewing? How can we trust what they are and make a decision on who to draft?
Skycast

Re: Draft scouting and ratings...

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 pm

There is an element of randomness to them which generates a range. In future versions we may make the scouting results sticky so that every time you re-open it shows the values from the first time you clicked on it.
brooks_piggott

Postby Skycast » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Yea, they should be the same every time...not that they need to be accurate based upon your scouting prowess, but they shouldn't change on every viewing. It pretty much makes scouting useless and a crap shoot at this point as sometimes I've seen some large variances and drafting is pretty much a roll of a dice at this point.
Skycast

Postby ZootMurph » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:48 pm

I disagree. If you get a result consistently, you can assume it's pretty accurate. For each position, I look specifically at one or two attributes. If you go back and forth and see very high ratings consistently (Unique, Remarkable, Mindblowing, etc.), then you can be pretty sure that attribute will be pretty high. If you get just one range, it is unrealistic and makes it extremely difficult. Fact is, every team has many scouts, and different scouts have different opinions. I look at the way things are now as talking to different scouts and getting their opinions... Without even scouting, I can get an idea of the guys I'm interested in. Scouting for me is mostly interviewing to get their intangibles and traits.
ZootMurph

Postby Skycast » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:05 pm

Yea, but that's extra time you have to spend in the scouting process which you shouldn't have to, this is a game after-all. Think about it, a scout isn't going to change his mind about a player every single time you ask him. To me this simply adds unreliability to the scouting system in the game and saps the fun out of the off-season schedule when it feels like a crap shoot.
Skycast

Postby slybelle1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:There is an element of randomness to them which generates a range. In future versions we may make the scouting results sticky so that every time you re-open it shows the values from the first time you clicked on it.

I think it should be "sticky" until new information is learned about a player so it should only change if you proactively did something in scouting to influence a change. If no actions like that were performed, then ratings should be the same anytime viewing it. But if you change scouts, do interviews, or any other action that would trigger a new evaluation, they certainly should change the next time you view them.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby Skycast » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:14 am

Slybelle1 is spot on...I know if I had a scout that changed his mind every time I talked to him I'd fire his ass quicker than a heartbeat.
Skycast

Postby Tiger Fan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:59 am

It makes no sense to me that a scout changes his opinion on a player every time you click on the player page. I am all for scouts being off on their estimation of a player's talent, but only by formulating one opinion that may or may not be accurate, not by changing their assessment every 30 seconds. Doing this in my opinion actually devalues the need for different quality level of scouts and makes it a clickfest where you need to keep returning to the player page time and again and making a note of all the different words used to describe a particular skill so that you can ascertain what your scout really thinks of him.

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all. Why anyone would think that was better then simply having your scout give you his impression (with a margin of error tied into the scout's ratings and the level of certainty) once and let me use that information, along with the overall grades my staff gives a draft prospect and his combine numbers to decide his real value.

The current setup really takes away from what otherwise looks like a pretty good draft experience with this game.
Tiger Fan

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion