Draft scouting suggestions

Draft scouting suggestions

Postby Schlitz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:11 pm

First off... should there be an idea/suggestion sticky thread? Might be handy. :)

Our online league just had the draft and while I like the scouting system with its bit of fuzziness and fog of war, I think there is some room for improvement in a few areas.

Firstly, the college stats. Some players have incredible college careers with multiple awards but end up being very mediocre in just about every way. I get that not all players with awards can be superstars but the college stats and awards almost seem to have no purpose. When I draft a WR that piled up 6000 yards and 80 TDs only to find out he's slow as molasses with below average hands, that just seems off.

Secondly, the scouting details don't match up very well with player ratings and kind of piggybacks my last point. I know scouting is supposed be have some room for error but it seems to be EXTREMELY far off quite often. I don't want to see a scout tell me a player has UNIQUE speed or strength only to draft him to see he's actual just average. The scouting info also seems to change quite a lot if you go back and forth to the screen and should be more consistent.

Next, I like the addition of player grades and the descriptions that go along with them. Its a nice piece of info that really helps add some depth to scouting. The problem is, we now have this screen, combine results, scouting details, personality, and projection summary screens to deal with. This is a LOT of jumping back and forth and clicking on players a dozen times for dozens of players to get all the info you want for setting your draft order. I can copy and paste some of it into a spreadsheet to help, but find it quite cumbersome and tedious. I wouldn't mind a more streamlined info page for the draft or the ability to open multiple windows instead of constantly having to open and close and open and close everything over and over. If i find the time maybe I can do a mockup of some ideas. Lists don't always stay sorted either so constantly having to resort is also a pain.

Lastly (for now) our draft lists could really use a drag and drop feature for reordering. As it is now we have to click the up and down arrows that only move them one spot at a time and then it jumps back to the top of the list which I find very annoying. Adding extra arrows to push players to the very top or very bottom with one click might also be useful but drag and drop would be very appreciated.

If I think of anything else I'll add it to the list and if anyone else has some suggestions or input please feel free to add it on here.
Schlitz

Re: Draft scouting suggestions

Postby brooks_piggott » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:34 pm

I updated the code for 4.0.4 to be sticky on the reports so they shouldn't change on multiple views unless they've been scouted.

The combine should be a bit more realistic, but it's mostly just foggy since players can have good combines that don't really reflect what they do on the field. Use it to help evaluate talent or break ties if you want, but you need to be looking at grades and scouting reports and coach emails as well.
brooks_piggott

Postby Schlitz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 am

Thanks Brooks. I like the fact that there is some element of unknown to scouting but some things don't always make a lot of sense so its the more extreme fluctuations that I'd like to see looked at or the players that have incredible college stats that end up being almost undraftable. That and somehow finding a way to make all the info a little easier to view would be nice. Its a lot of screen hopping right now. I was thinking of maybe adding a couple of icons next to player names and giving us the ability to hover over them to get a pop up of the grades and combine scores. Something like that instead of having to constantly close and open separate screens.
Schlitz

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:20 pm

I don't have any control over the college stats matching up. It all depends on where the players were imported from and how those leagues were setup, and how the conversion worked when bringing kids in.

I can look at adding more popups.
brooks_piggott

Postby Skycast » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Brooks_Piggott wrote:I updated the code for 4.0.4 to be sticky on the reports so they shouldn't change on multiple views unless they've been scouted.

So you're saying that if they've been scouted the reports will still fluctuate? That actually makes less sense then the other way around.
Skycast

Postby C-Bailey24 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Skycast wrote:
Brooks_Piggott wrote:I updated the code for 4.0.4 to be sticky on the reports so they shouldn't change on multiple views unless they've been scouted.

So you're saying that if they've been scouted the reports will still fluctuate? That actually makes less sense then the other way around.

I've always thought this was goofy concept but they insist on doing it this way
C-Bailey24

Postby gbmoore » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 am

I believe you are misreading his post.

I read it as scouting now stays static when looking at ratings....until you scout where it will change based on the new evaluation....then stays static again. I believe that's what most people have asked for.
gbmoore

Postby Skycast » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 am

gbmoore wrote:I believe you are misreading his post.

I read it as scouting now stays static when looking at ratings....until you scout where it will change based on the new evaluation....then stays static again. I believe that's what most people have asked for.

I can only hope so, but it doesn't read that way to me.
Skycast

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Sorry, gbmoore is right, they're static reports now and won't change if you keep viewing... once they're scouted a new report is generated because the words will have changed... but then it's static again. Apologies, my wording was ambiguous.
brooks_piggott

Postby Skycast » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Nope all good my man...carry on and thanks!
Skycast

Next

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion