Defensive plays creation - Need help setting up player's act

Defensive plays creation - Need help setting up player's act

Postby Invisible Witness » Wed May 06, 2020 2:02 pm

Newbie here, I'm trying to create defensive plays but not sure what do I put for let's say DT or DE if it is a run play I'm expecting. Or how about LB ? What if I'm expecting a pass play? Set my CB to cover ? What about FS or SS? The diagram showing play is not even changing after I selected action for each position...Is there somewhere a guide how to set my defensive players actions based on anticipated play? Could someone explain? Thank you in advance.
Invisible Witness

Re: Defensive plays creation - Need help setting up player's

Postby Invisible Witness » Thu May 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Basically what I'm asking here is what does it mean Flat or what's the difference between Rush or Blitz. Do I set my DT and DE to rush always? What's the difference between setting up LB to Blitz & Rush ? Just basic explanation will do.
Great game btw. Love those options to create plays.
Invisible Witness

Postby Ronm » Sat May 09, 2020 12:01 am

A lot of it (IMO) is nuance.
A blitz is more of an all out rush, which is aggressive and has a chance for a big play/tackle for loss, but as the LB or DB has a kind of "tunnel vision" in the blitz (which makes it effective) it also risks them being burned if it is a draw play or a fast pass in the area they just deserted in order to blitz. A rush order is still aggressive, but a bit less so, so the chance of a defense "big play" loss of yards by the offense, is there, but is lessened a bit by the lack of tunnel vision...your LB is hedging his bets basically and will respond to those tricks like a draw play better, but with the corresponding lowered level of aggressive big play.
As far as creating the plays, that basic idea is a good place to start. A lot depends on how much you want to gamble...going all out for a pass/run, will stop it cold usually if you are correct, but will burn you more often than not if you are wrong.
Personally, I ****usually**** with a few exceptions, play at least a lineman and LB "hedging" the opposite as the rest...so if most are in pass defense mode, I will have at least a LB "reading" which reacts slower, but avoids the surprise...and at least one of the DLs playing the run. I do have a few plays which go all out one or the other (PASS/RUN) and my basic defense philosophy is usually to use those aggressive plays to force the offense into "must pass" downs...but the setup is really your preference... just keep in mind that the more you target one aspect between the pass or the run, the more it opens the other up to the offense, impossible to cover both "perfectly".
Ronm

Postby Invisible Witness » Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Ok thanks, but what is a Flat defence option? What do my players do if I select Flat ?
Invisible Witness

Postby Ronm » Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 pm

The flats are the short sides almost parallel to the line of scrimmage, perhaps a couple of yards deeper and also shallower.. they are the location targeted by many (most) offenses for quick throws to beat blitzes or heavy pass rushes, because the LBs usually defending them are the ones usually blitzing.
So an offense trying to beat your "all out" rushes and blitzes, will target short passes their QB can fire quickly, to your flats... and to counter THAT in the ever present chess match lol, you can leave backs- or LBs, or even a DE, dropping over to that flat in coverage.
Ronm

Postby Invisible Witness » Mon May 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Ok thanks for this!
Invisible Witness

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion