Play calling when behind.

Play calling when behind.

Postby Werewolftwentyone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 pm

More often than not, when my team finds itself down by two scores or more with say…5:00 minutes left to play, I see my team running the ball rather than passing downfield to get back into the game?
Is there anything like a four-minute offense, or two-minute offense that I may be missing to get my team downfield and back into the game?
Werewolftwentyone

Re: Play calling when behind.

Postby brooks_piggott » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Yes and no... over the years we've gone back and forth on adjustments to play calling. Some people want no adjustments at all and want the game to follow their settings exactly... but other people want the game to auto adjust to situations regardless of what their playcalling settings are.

Right now it's weighted heavier toward following user settings... so if you have a run setup it really won't switch to pass automatically... inside 2 or 3 minutes you'll get more pass plays called, but not really at 5 minutes out. And it's adjustments, so even upping pass % in those behind situations won't do much if you're still run heavy overall.
brooks_piggott

Postby Werewolftwentyone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Thank you for your timely response.
Werewolftwentyone

Postby Ronm » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 pm

I can add a point here as well. This initially bothered myself also. I have managed to go into the playbook and game plan editors now however, and create playbooks entirely (or mostly...80% is what I aim for) for "coming from behind" and then using the game plan edit, set those playbooks to be used in the last two minutes, and for myself also on all long yardage situations, because I also noticed that my coach...we will just call him Mr. Laptop... was running jumbo offense dives up the middle on 3rd and 10 plays :) I am extremely pleased with my results after my rookie season in this game.
Ronm

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2020 General Discussion